Dick's Sporting Goods

Dick's Sporting Goods Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack

Edward W. Stack

Pros
  • Employee discount available for overpriced, regular priced merchandise only (in 47 reviews)

• Flexible hours, you can attend school or a second job (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Dick's whole Customer service or "Wow factor" is not supported by their actions (in 27 reviews)

• Extremely difficult to maintain any type of work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Huge mistake to work here, set back my career

Certified Fitness Trainer (Current Employee)

Prosdecent discount, subject matter that may match your interests

ConsLow pay, managers lie about promotions, district level leaders implement useless changes, policy change robbed me of vacation time, misbehavior goes unpunished (harassment, absenteeism), promotions given based on 'who you know' (all my managers were brought from Best Buy by a new GM)

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because some employees don't take their employment seriously, don't treat everyone as expendable.

Horrible job experience I have had so far.

Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsMeet great people
    Good hours
    Pay is somewhat negotiable

ConsOne boss wants one thing done the other boss wants another done.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and work as a team

Biggest turnover rate I've ever seen.

Apparel Lead (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a job. I get paid just enough to get by.

ConsThis company works on a need to know basis and they don't think you need to know anything. Upper management in my region is constantly changing so nothing is consistent. The schedule constantly changes throughout the week and it's up Saturday afternoon at the earliest and departments are either empty or understaffed. My regional vp and his "guys" have clearly never worked in retail because their aggressive internal marketing makes our jobs so much harder. Constantly looking for a new job.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key. Don't just tell employees at the store level what to do, tell them why they're doing it. Schedules need to be up earlier than Saturday night if they expect people to show up. Store managers need to be more understanding of their underpaid, overworked employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be careful coming here. .. advise from a current Store Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSports. .. helping people get what they need to have fun or be the best. Seeing kids smile.

ConsThis place sucks the life out of you. Too much to do with very little payroll. The SSC comes up with things to do and expects miracles with no resources. If you have a family, say good bye to them.

We change things way to much!

Ed, when was the last time you or your team worked overnight for one of your many moves?

Ed Stack and the senior team do not care about you at all. You are truly a number here and that number means 65 plus hours a week and often 6 to 7 days.

As a Store Manager you'll never bonus. Ed and his team will. You on the other hand will never.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive back Ed!
    Give us payroll!
    Give us a chance to catch our breath before the SSC decides to all for another miracle.
     You have billions, your team has millions, the staff in the stores can barely live on the wages you give and the "carrot" you dangle called a bonus is cruel.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Boy's Club

Sales Support Manager (Former Employee)

ProsA 25% discount on most items.

ConsWomen don't have a chance in fair pay or promotion.

I would not recommend working for this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey offer a pretty nice discount to employees. The other employees were friendly and fun to work with. Some of the managers were nice to work with.

ConsThe hours were not good for my family. I was working 11-8. I did not make enough money for all the work I was doing. I was expected to work in every department throughout one shift.

PLace sucks

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDiscounts on sporting equipment for yourself

ConsBad Hours, Terrible Management, Scheduling issues

Advice to Senior ManagementDo Better

wrong move

ProsBe ready to go to work on Thanksgiving Day, no family time

Consvery political and not minority friendly

Advice to Senior Managementlook at your stores, really LOOK into them

By far the worst company to work for.

Apparel Associate (Former Employee) Lombard, IL

ProsI loved the customers and the work I did. It was always busy no matter what time of year or day of the week.

ConsManagement at the store I worked at was honestly just a joke. If you weren't best friends with the managers or if you didn't kiss their butt, they hated you and had no problem showing it. I was fired simply because the new store manager didn't like me and I knew that from day one. I honestly felt like I was back in high school only this was worse. The amount of gossip that went on blew my mind and the best part was that most of the managers were involved in some way. I worked my butt off for DSG and loved the work, but the people made it an unbearable place to work. If I had different managers, I would still be working there and I could look past the rest of the drama. I know that all workplaces have their drama and gossip but this is worse than I've ever seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better managers and train them to actually care about all employees, not just the ones they hang out with outside of work.

Absolutely the worst job I've ever had as an associate. Streets of woodfield location in Schaumburg

Apparel Associate (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsCoworkers are kind of friendly. Sometimes your coworkers are cool to hang out with but you can't really trust many because they will talk smack.

ConsManagement had no education.
    Ask too much from one person and make you work like slaves.
    Management disrespects everyone.
    You can't call in sick, they make you come into work to prove you're sick an they determine if you really can't work which is rare. They write you up for anything just so they don't have to give you a raise.
    Customers are horrible and disrespect you.
    Managers are hypocrites: an example, you're not supposed to use or charge your phone during work, management texts, calls, charges their phone all the time but they write up everyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet an education. Take management classes, I did and you're doing it all wrong.
    Just because you're management, you shouldn't think so highly of yourself and be so controlling.

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!