Dick's Sporting Goods

Dick's Sporting Goods Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack

Edward W. Stack

Pros:
  • "Employee discount available for overpriced, regular priced merchandise only"
    in 42 reviews
  • "Flexible hours, you can attend school or a second job"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Dick's whole Customer service or "Wow factor" is not supported by their actions"
    in 24 reviews
  • "if I had to say one is everyone is part time amd it is very hard to get full time"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Employees Constantly Belittled

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for less than a year

ProsDecent discount. Some good people in middle management.

ConsHigher end management is either patronizing or belittling employees, who are expected to be everywhere doing everything at once. Constantly understaffed on busy days. Disorganized in the busiest departments. The store manager is always on some sort of power trip, trying to make everyone else feel stupid. This often trickles down to the department leads, who seem to enjoy treating other associates like they're idiots. Lots of drama between associates, especially in apparel.

Employees are expected to care about the company's financial goals with no financial incentive or opportunity for performance based raises.

Hard work is rewarded with stickers. Literally. Stickers. And that's when a manager actually sees the hard work. Many associates go completely unrecognized when working their asses off. The "Wow Factor" is a total joke, and the sticker thing is juvenile. Rather than encouraging hard work, it simply illustrates how often hard work is overlooked and under-appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen your employees are overworked, understaffed, underpaid, and constantly belittled by the store manager, you can't expect to hang onto good employees for long.

Avoid At All Costs

Operations Associate (Former Employee)
Buford, GA

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for less than a year

ProsEmployee discount and friendly co-workers.

ConsManagement at this location is horrible. They definitely have their own agenda and only care about trying to make their budget. Management blame the employees for everything and rarely do you hear a positive message from any of them. It is extremely negative, demotivating environment. It is hard to have a positive attitude while working there.
The pay is well below average for the area. There is little to no advancement opportunity. The General Manager of this location should be an Assistant at most. As a management team (senior management included) they have no idea that the problem is actually the management and their lack of ability to treat people fairly, nicely and positively. As a whole they are completely clueless as to why they are losing good people regularly and can't seem to hit their "numbers" on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to listen to your employees, some of them have a clue. Don't be so stubborn and think you are better than everyone else, because truly you are not. They need to take a step back and humble themselves. Engage with your employees and actually have conversations with them and treat them more than a robot. Also, don't refute everything they say since some of us are actually well educated and experienced, and, on a typical day, could run circles around you.

Surprised they're still in business

Lodge Associate (Former Employee)
Madison, WI

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than a year

ProsHours of work
Co-workers
Location
Breaks from being on the floor

ConsMembers of management that could not make up their mind
Viewed employees as personal slaves
Pay was to low for those that have expertise in given areas

Advice to Senior ManagementActually train your management members in correct procedures of overseeing employees

Management was unorganized, unprofessional, and unpredictable.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Madison, WI

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time

ProsI got a lot of great experience in a lot of different fields of retail, however; see cons. The associate discount was fantastic, and having access to 3-point-5 was as well.

ConsWhile I was more than open and available to learn about the different departments, everyone seemed bothered by my questions. I felt very put out when I tried to learn about things on my own, and the technical training was very minimal; After the initial computer training, they sort of just threw me on the floor (it was my first ever retail position. I was a busser before). Management offered the best positions and best hours to their "buddies",.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou aren't managing a club or a sports team; you're managing people. Allow people who show interest and aptitude the opportunity to exceed and you may see a rise in talent within your company.

Dicks does not treat their employees with respect

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods

ProsThe employee discount is pretty decent at 25% although on some items it is less (around 10%) and on some items you cant use it at all.

ConsScheduling: They claim to have flexible scheduling, however that is not true. Their schedule is generated randomly from week to week even for full time employees, there is no consistency to the schedule whatsoever. If you request an unpaid day off (doctors appointment, etc.) they will completely ignore your request and schedule you on that day anyway, forcing you to convince a manager to remove you from the schedule at the last minute.
Employee Treatment: 3/4 of the management staff at my location treat myself and other employees with complete disrespect. If you ask a manger a question to try and help a customer you are met with a sarcastic attitude and an impression that you are wasting their time.
Communication: Managers do not communicate new policies programs and other pertinent information effectively too all employees. If you are not opening in the morning (and thus attend the morning meeting) you will not know any new information that management passes. Managers would prefer to pretend that all employees attend the morning meeting instead of taking the time to pass word all of thier employees. Furthermore managers prefer to blame their own mistakes/shortcomings on employees rather than take responsibility for thier own actions.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage Managers to treat employees with respect, give employees the scheduled time off they request. Give employees the hours they request weekly instead of over scheduling people that don't want more hours and under scheduling people that do want more hours. Improve communication with employees and don't get upset when an employee requests clarification about an issue.

A totally miserable experience.

Team Sports Associate (Former Employee)
South Portland, ME

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for less than a year

ProsThere really aren't any, aside from the employee discount.

ConsHow much time ya got? Low pay, not enough hours, endless amounts of thankless busy work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to expect people to unload endless amounts of freight try paying ten dollars an hour instead of eight fifty.

Do not work in operations unless you are looking for supplemental income

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time

ProsI love sporting goods, so I thought I would love working for this company. I got to be around lots of products that I loved all the time. The schedule is flexible so it's possible to work a 2nd job if you ask your employer (just make sure it's not a competitor). Being in the back, I didn't interact with customers and i can take breaks anytime I want.

ConsMy job was mind numbing. I processed the freight. So I got up at 445AM everyday to get ready to be at work at 6AM and then it takes 2 hours to move all the boxes from the truck to the stock room. Afterwards, I cleaned the bathrooms, and then I open the boxes, organize the items, and break the boxes down. That was my job for 8 hours a day. There is no room to grow or learn new skills. I decided that I didn't want to be stuck in the backroom all day opening and breaking down boxes so I left to find new skills so I can actually make a living wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your associates more money than minimum wage and give them more hours. 90% of the store is part time.

horrible place to work

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods for more than a year

ProsEmployee discount available for overpriced, regular priced merchandise only. No discount given for seal merchandise. Often, you can get same items at regular price at Academy for less without the discount.

ConsIf you want to be treated in a humiliating manner and debased as a human being at every opportunity, this is where you need to work. Employees are treated like cattle...in and out the front door. Favoritism is rampant.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire a bunch of store managers. Look at the stores with HIGH employee turnover and what employees are given raises and how often. This would be an enlightening report.

Great people, terrible management, corporate run by idiots

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 3 years

Prosfellow associates, store discounts and coupons

Consmanagement is awful, will promise you things they can't keep. corporate is backstabbing and run poorly.

I'd rather work for Al-Qaeda

Hardlines Manager (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than a year

ProsI was lucky in my store to have an excellent store manager who should have gone on to be a district manager... instead they decided he made too much money for their payroll and found reason to terminate him.

ConsEverything. As a hardlines manager I did my best to take care of my employees but its difficult when upper management makes poor strategic decision after poor strategic decision. There were times around holidays where we could have added 5 hours of payroll and it would have yielded an additional $5,000 in sales easily. The customers were willing to pay, just needed someone to take their money. Instead, they decided to cut people's hours and the people left got to deal with angry (rightfully so) customers who left without making a purchase because they grew tired of waiting.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. For the sake of the future of the company, retire.

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dick's Sporting Goods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Edward W. Stack. All 639 reviews posted anonymously by Dick's Sporting Goods employees.