Dick's Sporting Goods

Updated January 27, 2015
2.9

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack
Edward W. Stack

Pros
  • Only good thing about working here is the employee discount (in 53 reviews)

• I had flexible hours that allowed me to look after my son (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance hard at times- always was called in on days off (in 20 reviews)

• POOR internal customer service, poor store to store product selection consistency (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

The name of the company fits..

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

The work is easy, and anyone could do it. You get to basically wear the most casual uniform out there. The discount is kind of pleasant, however doesn't do too much as the prices are high.

Cons

This company is the worst that I have ever worked for, and if I could, I would have selected 0 stars. The management is horrible, and the pay is absolute crap in regards to how much money just one store makes in one day. Literally you would make more money in the fast food industry, and it probably wouldn't be as miserable. They have no regard for your personal well being, they only care that there is coverage. Minimal training in other departments but randomly scheduled in those areas. There are no discounts for police or military, which frankly I was a little offended by (I am not police or military).

Management was absolute garbage at the store I was at for quite some time. Their management methods were often times hostile and usually unfair. I know the turnover at this location has sky rocketed, and there are people to blame for that. Inconsistent messages sent to employees.

Never worked anywhere like it.

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

Decent employee discount, if you're into sports/fitness, it's nice - it's the only reason I took the job.

Cons

I've worked a lot of jobs in my life, probably in the neighborhood of 20+, and this isn't the worst job I've had, but it is certainly the most unprofessional, disorganized, and frankly baffling, for it's size. At the mom and pop level, I can see a store being run with a bit of chaos when the owner is close to the action and can see what's going on. But when you have a store manager that doesn't engage with the employees, doesn't make himself seen, doesn't even talk to you or greet you when you see him in the morning, how do you function as a business? There is no organization, rules are whimsically followed, there is no assignment of duties, barely a single person in the place cares a whole lot about doing their job, with the exception of a few managers.

I've been told numerous times by customers that I'm the only employee that showed any interest in helping them, because every employee could not care less about being there. They're rude, uptight, and curt; not only with customers, but their co-workers. Half of them won't even give you a "Hi" or a "good morning", they just stare at the ground as they pass you. And management actually wonders why their customer service rating is so poor. In fairness, the compensation is part of the issue; I understand you're not thrilled to be making what is basically minimum wage, but act civil.

They have a practice of simply giving you very, very little to zero hours if they want to get rid of you rather than confronting the issue or taking disciplinary action. The store manager is THAT stand offish that he will just stop scheduling you, and when you try to talk to them about the issue they will make every effort to dance around it.

Again, I've worked a lot of jobs, but I've never worked anywhere, where the overwhelming majority of the people from the ground level to management, at every job, just couldn't care less about being there, and saw fit to be rude to everyone around them. I've never seen anything like it.

Definitely the worst retail company I've worked for, by a mile. I've worked at Wal-Mart, and I enjoyed that a lot more.

The main problem is confronting employees when you have an issue, not being so incredible passive-aggressive about everything. It's kind of a cornerstone of management - discipline and confrontation. Learn how to do it. Commission should be considered for a lot of positions, considering that these employees' knowledge is a big part of what drives sales in certain departments, like golf, fitness and lodge.

This is the worst job I've ever had in the past 37 years.

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of my co-workers are great individuals to work with. Also, unless one is completely unethical or dishonest, it would difficult to be fired -- I know several individuals who have rehired after taking and losing other jobs.

Cons

My general manager is prone to having temper tantrums, and he has yelled at employees in front of customers. Asst managers don't care about their jobs. Overall, leadership skills in management are non-existent -- this is blame culture at its worst.

Read Zig Ziglar, Og Mandino, or as many other excellent positive motivational books on a regular basis and put these ideas into practice. This includes regional as well as upper management! Remember that happy cows make more milk and will also make happy customers. Instead of sending out negative emails, lead by example, not fear. Practice the Golden Rule, and empathize with customers and employees.

Teams Sports Sales Associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dartmouth, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dartmouth, MA

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only real plus to this job was the employee discount, and the 50% coupons for North face ect... other part time employees were very pleasant to work with

Cons

Very poor interpersonal skills from store management. You were talked down to on a regular basis, when in some cases the part time college associates had more experience and management skills than their boss.

People Skills, People Skills, People Skills.... hire management staff that are pleasant to work with and are able to meet store and company goals.. unpleasant and uncomfortable work environments do not lead to success at any level.

All work, no pay

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

It is fun to work here. Fellow workers are like yourself, customers are buying items that you, yourself use and have a common interest in.

Cons

Very low pay. Started when store opened in September 2014 and hours were fine. Since Thanksgiving, our hours have been radically cut so you are lucky to get 5-10 hours a week. Further, used to have 2-3 people per area, now, just one. You are unable to get all work done AND help customers. Concerning the hours, our supervisor said, and I quote, "It's going to be survival of the fittest." So work load increases, customer service drops and our hours drop to thank us for are hard work and dedication. Thanks!

Our store has been outselling all of the other nearby stores, yet our hours are cut to nothing and work load increases. What is the result - unhappy employees, fewer employees to cover the floor, customer service drops, retail theft goes up, fewer sales and a drop in profit. Is it really worth being THIS cheap? Treating hard working employees like slave labor will result only in negatives across the board.

They're aight, but not that great If you KWIM..

Current Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

Free water in break room.
    You don't die..

Cons

You feel like dying
    They run out of water sometimes

The management should eat a voluminous amount of pride, let it flow through them, then excrete the broken down mess they call their ego, all over their backwards staff and sub management positions..

Hated it

Current Employee - Team Sports Sales Associate in Waterford, CT
    Current Employee - Team Sports Sales Associate in Waterford, CT

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

Discounts they give you, watching sport all day was cool too.

Cons

throw you into the wolves! You watch a 30 minute video on day one, and they throw you right on the floor.

Have more training for your employees. The manager also never even spoke to me, so I never knew who my manager was!

Terrible Co-Workers

Current Employee - Team Sports/Bikes and Exercise Associate
    Current Employee - Team Sports/Bikes and Exercise Associate

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The managers are really chill and joke around with you a lot. They also dont drug test so you can enjoy your days off without worrying about getting fired!

Cons

The workers there are some of the worst people i've ever met. One of the "softlines managers" yelled at me for talking to a coworker in front of customers when I was helping my coworker. My supervisor always comes in high and screws up constantly and makes me fix all of his mistakes and do all of his work or he will tell the store manager not to keep me permenantly (seasonal job). There is so much drama between co-workers that it makes it a very hostile environment. They also cut your hours to be 39.5 hours so they dont have to give you benefits

Straighten up your department leaders

Terrible company

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

None other than selling sporting goods

Cons

Everything terrible in retail they are first class

None they don't care

Bad Kinda

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

Discount, People it was really bad

Cons

Everything else the hours sucked

Do better with the schedule and stuff

Dick's Sporting Goods Photos