Dick's Sporting Goods

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack
Edward W. Stack

Pros
  • Employee discount available for overpriced, regular priced merchandise only (in 47 reviews)

• Flexible hours, you can attend school or a second job (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Dick's whole Customer service or "Wow factor" is not supported by their actions (in 27 reviews)

• Extremely difficult to maintain any type of work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Worked for DSG for over 3 years

Former Employee - Softlines Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Softlines Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked in seven different stores in four states. Had a great experience on the East coast. Executive management listened, addressed any/all issues while asking for suggestions and/or opinions.

Cons

Working at DSG on the West coast was a completely different experience. Little to no work life balance. Constant conflict between upper and lower management regarding policies and procedures. Offering ideas and/or opinions is viewed as negative.

Direction needs to be consistent across the company. Policies and procedures that were strictly adhered to on the East coast are almost ignored on the West coast. It truly feels like two very different companies.

They do not embrace creativity

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

Fantastic gym that can be utilized during work hours

Cons

Simply too many politics involved

No Chance for Advancement

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discount is okay, as well as seeing new product.

Cons

No chance to move forward, you are usually stuck in the position where you are hired. Store managers are only interested in associates helping their advancement. Assistant Managers are usually so stressed because they end up doing most of the work of the sales associates while store managers sit in the office. Assistant managers and Associates get limited to no training.

invest time in your Assistant managers and Sales associates, give them opportunities to advance rather than run them in the ground and finally running them away.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Retail at its worst

Current Employee - Apparel Lead  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Apparel Lead in Cary, NC

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than a year

Pros

Team atmosphere, making for a fairly cohesive unit. Getting to see new product often.

Cons

The cohesiveness of the the associates is made necessary because of toxic store management. Inconsistencies and failure to communicate between managers makes redoing a project a guarantee and redoing it twice a probability.

Your inability or refusal to instill a management style that leads by example is frustrating and allows an administrator style to flourish driving a wedge between management and associates.

Horrible company to work for!

Current Employee - Soft Lines Manager
    Current Employee - Soft Lines Manager

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for less than a year

Pros

You meet some good people that are very caring and great employees. They offer competitive pay to college and/or hourly associates with schedule flexibility.

Cons

This was the ultimate dysfunctional, unorganized, terribly orchestrated and frustrating employment I've ever been associated with and the problem starts with the lack of capable employees at the very top. There is no true vision in the company that anyone actually follows or is accountable for. Mostly a group of managers (hired from the outside-just like me) that have no clue what is the best way to attack issues- and there are a lot of them! There is NO training. I have had much experience in the management world and when I tried to implement actual policies to create solutions, there was no support from anyone. Employees are allowed to do as they please, there is absolutely no accountability for anything, managers are self-serving and unwilling to work with one another, and there is just a general sense of individualistic and toxic attitudes. The worst part is, for the most part, the hourly employees are great individuals that want to do a good job and want to work hard but they are met with deleterious management styles due to their lack of experience and the continuous confusion the company provides.
    The hours are long and they are filled with continuously being reactive rather than being able to make a plan and stick to it. You just cannot do that at this company. I have no clue how they can even fix it. It is so bad, everywhere. I believe it is simply because the company has grown too fast and has not had a clear vision in place. It just kind of exists however the person in charge at that particular location sees fit. Keep in mind, many of the store managers don't have college degrees and don't really have much experience other than starting out as hourly employees themselves.... and because there is no real training (they recently started a store manager training program-doesn't seem to help) and even if they did have training, refer back to my comment regarding lack of accountability... they don't need to use it because no one will check on you. District managers will ignore problems as long as profits are made. And that really is questionable... I watched how inaccurate inventories were conducted and false numbers were reported. The fact that you really didn't even know if the DC even sent inventory (or if it was mistakenly given to another store/etc.) blew my mind. They have no clue regarding actual numbers or inventory!
    Hourly associates, sorry to say, but you will most likely have a manager that is not the best and here's why... no good manager would ever want to work for this company. It's horrible, so you are left with the kind of people that can't get better positions and a heavy turn-over. Managers are in and out. Constantly leaving... it's that bad. Additionally, you will most likely be asked to do a project and then re-directed, either by another manager, or by the same manager half way through or when you finish. This is because you will have untrained managers that do not understand what their direction was or because the store manager is poor and forced them to do the wrong thing, then was later directed (typically by a district manager that is probably also horrible -definitely so in my case). Also, your hours will be constantly in flux. This is because managers will schedule more hours than allowed and be required to "pay them back" by cutting hours. You may show up one day and without notice, you have been taken off the schedule and may not have a day scheduled for a week, maybe longer- depends on if they like you and your situation. Also, you may be cut back to 4 hours for the week... almost not even worth the drive. And don't forget when you are scheduled, since your fellow associates have been cut, you will work alone, or at least it may feel that way because there will be no one to help you. Tons of clothes to re-fold and put back.... it's not easy. And in most cases, don't expect help from your lazy manager. I was a manager.... I helped (some don't) but it was never enough.

Stop building stores until you can fix the ones you have. Try sticking to some sort of vision/ create a real one. Implement it, require it, make store managers accountable! Stop the useless manager meetings!! DKS is not that important! There is no purpose for the hours wasted weekly on absolutely nothing and you just waste paper!! Nothing is even really relevant and information without purpose or use is simply that, information. Nothing is done with metrix!

Bicycle tech

Current Employee - Bike Technician  in  Arden, NC
    Current Employee - Bike Technician in Arden, NC

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's not welfare. I get to work with bikes

Cons

No hours. Management makes promises, and the acts like the conversation never happened. Company is more concerned with profit thsn taking care of employees. MANAGEMENT FEEDS YOU TYPICAL CORPORATE BS TO APPEASE YOU.

Rethink the way you treat employees. This isn't Walmart. Your employees talk,and we aren't happy.

If you want to work hard and not be appreciated.

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fellow employees (non-Management)
    Customer interactions

Cons

Upper Management.. No communication. Raises are based on factors that are out of your control.

Step out of the stone age. With all the communication we have today communication should be better. It should be a fun place to work. Consider actually staffing the stores.

Huge mistake to work here, set back my career

Current Employee - Certified Fitness Trainer
    Current Employee - Certified Fitness Trainer

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than a year

Pros

decent discount, subject matter that may match your interests

Cons

Low pay, managers lie about promotions, district level leaders implement useless changes, policy change robbed me of vacation time, misbehavior goes unpunished (harassment, absenteeism), promotions given based on 'who you know' (all my managers were brought from Best Buy by a new GM)

Just because some employees don't take their employment seriously, don't treat everyone as expendable.

Horrible job experience I have had so far.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Omaha, NE

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meet great people
    Good hours
    Pay is somewhat negotiable

Cons

One boss wants one thing done the other boss wants another done.

Grow up and work as a team

Biggest turnover rate I've ever seen.

Former Employee - Apparel Lead
    Former Employee - Apparel Lead

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a job. I get paid just enough to get by.

Cons

This company works on a need to know basis and they don't think you need to know anything. Upper management in my region is constantly changing so nothing is consistent. The schedule constantly changes throughout the week and it's up Saturday afternoon at the earliest and departments are either empty or understaffed. My regional vp and his "guys" have clearly never worked in retail because their aggressive internal marketing makes our jobs so much harder. Constantly looking for a new job.

Communication is key. Don't just tell employees at the store level what to do, tell them why they're doing it. Schedules need to be up earlier than Saturday night if they expect people to show up. Store managers need to be more understanding of their underpaid, overworked employees.

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!