Dick's Sporting Goods

2.9
1,032 Reviews

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack
Edward W. Stack

Pros
  • Only good thing about working here is the employee discount (in 53 reviews)

• I had flexible hours that allowed me to look after my son (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance hard at times- always was called in on days off (in 20 reviews)

• POOR internal customer service, poor store to store product selection consistency (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

working at corporate headquarters is a strange place. Lack of a culture or identity. Too many executives. Not cohesive.

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

Food service for employees was outstanding.

Cons

Too many managers. Too many silos. Strange organizational structure that keeps changing. Very little consistencies in mission or strategy. Just keep things running so people can buy expensive products. Just keep putting out fires. Just keep replacing bodies when they quit. Place has no personality

Fire HR and start over. Quit wasting so much money on IT. You're being robbed.

Don't try to work here

Former Employee - Sales Associate in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Assicoates are cool and like to have a good time
    Always talking about sports
    Cool Products

Cons

Always understaffed
    Managers there are a joke
    They will write you up for anything because of the no excuse policy. You could be shot put in the hospital and get written up. Your car could get stolen or you can get into an accident and get written up. Th managers and company have no compassion and apparently those are not excuses for you missing work.
    They act like they care about customer service but some mangers dont even talk to customers and rude as can be towards them.
    They over staff on days they dont need people but understaff on days were they know were going to get busy but dont care what so ever

Treat employees that give you a ton of customer serverys with more respect. As a company dont write people u for a minate late because you cant open to door in time. The policies are a joke. Managers play favorites and dont give people hours who have a ton availability.

Ok short term,but won't take you anywhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

Coworkers and costumers are nice

Cons

They focus too much on scorecard and credit card sign ups, they tell you they have let people go over poor performance,they teach you how to sign up people automatically even if they don't want the loyalty card. You won't get full time with benefits,manager gives you hours but will drop them right before you qualify for benefits.Most employees are just part time kids that do not care much about the job, they are late, call in sick all the time or just don't show up anymore,leaving the few responsible ones to deal with all the work at an ever short staffed store.

Don't force the credit card and loyalty card down people's throats via the employee,some people prefer miles over points they can only redeem at your store.Be humble and attend to your employees' needs, if you hire more full time employees with benefits the store in turn will benefit from it because you will attract reliable and responsible people.

Favoritism and No loyalty

Former Employee - Associate in Hamilton, OH
    Former Employee - Associate in Hamilton, OH

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

allows you to go to school and still work

Cons

the play favorites with scheduling and allow the same people to be off every weekend.

none

Disappointing

Current Employee - Department Lead in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Department Lead in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Associates that care. Discount.

Cons

Excessive work load. Strained management.

Make it fun. Change the culture.

The name of the company fits..

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

The work is easy, and anyone could do it. You get to basically wear the most casual uniform out there. The discount is kind of pleasant, however doesn't do too much as the prices are high.

Cons

This company is the worst that I have ever worked for, and if I could, I would have selected 0 stars. The management is horrible, and the pay is absolute crap in regards to how much money just one store makes in one day. Literally you would make more money in the fast food industry, and it probably wouldn't be as miserable. They have no regard for your personal well being, they only care that there is coverage. Minimal training in other departments but randomly scheduled in those areas. There are no discounts for police or military, which frankly I was a little offended by (I am not police or military).

Management was absolute garbage at the store I was at for quite some time. Their management methods were often times hostile and usually unfair. I know the turnover at this location has sky rocketed, and there are people to blame for that. Inconsistent messages sent to employees.

Never worked anywhere like it.

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

Decent employee discount, if you're into sports/fitness, it's nice - it's the only reason I took the job.

Cons

I've worked a lot of jobs in my life, probably in the neighborhood of 20+, and this isn't the worst job I've had, but it is certainly the most unprofessional, disorganized, and frankly baffling, for it's size. At the mom and pop level, I can see a store being run with a bit of chaos when the owner is close to the action and can see what's going on. But when you have a store manager that doesn't engage with the employees, doesn't make himself seen, doesn't even talk to you or greet you when you see him in the morning, how do you function as a business? There is no organization, rules are whimsically followed, there is no assignment of duties, barely a single person in the place cares a whole lot about doing their job, with the exception of a few managers.

I've been told numerous times by customers that I'm the only employee that showed any interest in helping them, because every employee could not care less about being there. They're rude, uptight, and curt; not only with customers, but their co-workers. Half of them won't even give you a "Hi" or a "good morning", they just stare at the ground as they pass you. And management actually wonders why their customer service rating is so poor. In fairness, the compensation is part of the issue; I understand you're not thrilled to be making what is basically minimum wage, but act civil.

They have a practice of simply giving you very, very little to zero hours if they want to get rid of you rather than confronting the issue or taking disciplinary action. The store manager is THAT stand offish that he will just stop scheduling you, and when you try to talk to them about the issue they will make every effort to dance around it.

Again, I've worked a lot of jobs, but I've never worked anywhere, where the overwhelming majority of the people from the ground level to management, at every job, just couldn't care less about being there, and saw fit to be rude to everyone around them. I've never seen anything like it.

Definitely the worst retail company I've worked for, by a mile. I've worked at Wal-Mart, and I enjoyed that a lot more.

The main problem is confronting employees when you have an issue, not being so incredible passive-aggressive about everything. It's kind of a cornerstone of management - discipline and confrontation. Learn how to do it. Commission should be considered for a lot of positions, considering that these employees' knowledge is a big part of what drives sales in certain departments, like golf, fitness and lodge.

This is the worst job I've ever had in the past 37 years.

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of my co-workers are great individuals to work with. Also, unless one is completely unethical or dishonest, it would difficult to be fired -- I know several individuals who have rehired after taking and losing other jobs.

Cons

My general manager is prone to having temper tantrums, and he has yelled at employees in front of customers. Asst managers don't care about their jobs. Overall, leadership skills in management are non-existent -- this is blame culture at its worst.

Read Zig Ziglar, Og Mandino, or as many other excellent positive motivational books on a regular basis and put these ideas into practice. This includes regional as well as upper management! Remember that happy cows make more milk and will also make happy customers. Instead of sending out negative emails, lead by example, not fear. Practice the Golden Rule, and empathize with customers and employees.

Teams Sports Sales Associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dartmouth, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dartmouth, MA

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only real plus to this job was the employee discount, and the 50% coupons for North face ect... other part time employees were very pleasant to work with

Cons

Very poor interpersonal skills from store management. You were talked down to on a regular basis, when in some cases the part time college associates had more experience and management skills than their boss.

People Skills, People Skills, People Skills.... hire management staff that are pleasant to work with and are able to meet store and company goals.. unpleasant and uncomfortable work environments do not lead to success at any level.

All work, no pay

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

It is fun to work here. Fellow workers are like yourself, customers are buying items that you, yourself use and have a common interest in.

Cons

Very low pay. Started when store opened in September 2014 and hours were fine. Since Thanksgiving, our hours have been radically cut so you are lucky to get 5-10 hours a week. Further, used to have 2-3 people per area, now, just one. You are unable to get all work done AND help customers. Concerning the hours, our supervisor said, and I quote, "It's going to be survival of the fittest." So work load increases, customer service drops and our hours drop to thank us for are hard work and dedication. Thanks!

Our store has been outselling all of the other nearby stores, yet our hours are cut to nothing and work load increases. What is the result - unhappy employees, fewer employees to cover the floor, customer service drops, retail theft goes up, fewer sales and a drop in profit. Is it really worth being THIS cheap? Treating hard working employees like slave labor will result only in negatives across the board.

Dick's Sporting Goods Photos