Dick's Sporting Goods Reviews

1,386 Employee Reviews

1. Front End Associate

Former Employee - North Carolina in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - North Carolina in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is better than most other retail jobs but not enough to put up with the rude customers and poor work environment. Easy to get away with a lot because they're desperate.

Cons

-The customers are soooo rude and entitled. Customers will break something and demand we accept the return and management allows it. It only shows customers they can get whatever they want when they want it and it makes everyone's job harder. - At my location they turned on a device that beeps VERY LOUD when it senses items on the cash wrap that have sensors. I told my managers that it gave me terrible migraines listening to it all day and they just blew me off. Even customers were complaining it hurt their ears. No one should have to take pain killers to make it through a day at work. -When working closing shifts never got to leave on time because managers to hyper criticize every detail in each department. -Was scheduled times they knew I couldn't work due to being in school and told it was my fault.

Advice to Management

Don't pretend like you actually care about your employees and then blow them off when they come to you with an issue.

2. Good Job for Starting managers

Current Employee - Footwear Lead in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Footwear Lead in Wilkes-Barre, PA

Pros

Good hours, okay base pay

Cons

Limited staff hindering positive progression

Advice to Management

More people scheduled at one time. More realistic goals for hourly associates. More full time employees would boost productivity.

3. Sales manager

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time

Pros

Upbeat work environment, opportunity for advancement

Cons

Some strong employees underpaid

Advice to Management

Pay your strong people

5. Give up your life

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays well , especially if you get hired on from the outside .

Cons

As a Manager be prepared to give your life to them. No work life balance. They are a growing Company and one of the managers will always be on loan to other stores . Six day work weeks are the norm . As a Store Manager it was the expectation to provide your personal cell phone number to your DM and get texts from morning till night every day , including your rare off day. The Culture is to find what you're doing wrong instead of recognition . Many DM's are former Store Managers so the are buddies with previous peers that get held to a different standards then outside hires.

Advice to Management

My advice to Senior Management is to pay attention to the Culture on your Company. It has a bad reputation . Your Management turn over is high for a reason.

6. Fun environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time

Pros

You get to work with people and create strong friendships. Everyone helps each other out. There are opportunities to make extra money as a cashier. Overall I really liked my time there.

Cons

Management puts ALOT of pressure to reach sales goals and targets. It is hard on slow days to have the same expectations put on you as days that are busy. You can get write ups for failing to reach targeted credit card openings or score card goals as a cashier.

Advice to Management

Put less emphasis on credit cards. Sometimes management is so focused on reporting good numbers to corporate that they do not realize that they are being rude to their employees.

7. Cashier

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time

Pros

Great coworkers Good allowed time off Great customers

Cons

Doesn't recognize hardwork Don't keep promises

Advice to Management

Stop ignoring your hard workers and start promoting them

8. Inconsistant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work is easy and no stress to take home. Friendly coworkers who share a passion for sports/outdoors.

Cons

Employee pay and development is horrible. Seeing the ways the company wastes resources while hourly employee raises barely keep pace with inflation is insulting. Advancement only comes in the form of store management which results in moving to wherever the latest store is opening. If you want to stay in a district or geographic area where expansion isn't happening, expect a log jam. Want to move into LP, HR or logistics as a store employee? Do not waste your time; the company is not interested in training you if it requires more than a video tutorial.

9. Salary

Former Employee - Apparel Associate in Palm Desert, CA
    Former Employee - Apparel Associate in Palm Desert, CA

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time

Pros

Nice atmosphere good hours daily. Calm.

Cons

Didn't get much training. Some people aren't that friendly . Sometimes boring.

Advice to Management

Get better people to ACTUALLY train incoming workers.

10. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pleasant Hill, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pleasant Hill, CA

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours for part time. Great environment. Good balance of responsibilities and expectations. Very fun atmosphere. Always opportunities to work in different areas of the store.

Cons

Management likes to play the blame game. Management contradicts each other and tries to overrule what other managers tell you to do. Managements i not always entirely professional> Obviously this depends on your store.

Advice to Management

The work place should be professional and fun. Don't use scare tactics to make employees do work and stick up for employees when customers are only there to destroy the store.

11. Footwear Title

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Atmosphere. Laid back clothing policy.

Cons

Pay is so-so. Schedule making needs to be improved

Advice to Management

More hands on

Showing 1,386 of 1,397 reviews