Dick's Sporting Goods

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack
Edward W. Stack

Pros
  • Employee discount available for overpriced, regular priced merchandise only (in 47 reviews)

• Flexible hours, you can attend school or a second job (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Dick's whole Customer service or "Wow factor" is not supported by their actions (in 27 reviews)

• Extremely difficult to maintain any type of work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

it was ok however the business is ran poorly,

Former Employee - Footwear Sales Associate  in  Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in Novi, MI

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

dicks had great training so i was very aware of the store and its products completely. the management is very approachable

Cons

they arre understaffed, the business attempts to have less than half of the needed amount of people do the work. its very slow work and not much room for advancement.

n/a

Good but not Great

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers
    Great store managers
    Pretty good discounts
    reasonable hours
    fun customer interactions

Cons

Upper Management is detached from the stores
    District Managers view employees as replaceable

Put more time and care into your employees and sales will rise

Once you move up hr rate is better!

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Willow Grove, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Willow Grove, PA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

discount 25%, rate is better than most, hours are good based on time you have been there

Cons

Had to clean up mice droppings, mice dropping in lockers, break room wasn't very nice

Mice issue needed to be fixed asap

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not sure they've got themselves together

Current Employee - Cashier/Customer Service
    Current Employee - Cashier/Customer Service

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for less than a year

Pros

I guess some pros are it's casual sports clothes, lots of jobs to choose from and part time also gets some benefits that full time gets.

Cons

The pros are unorganized training, hours are not very good, and managers weren't very helpful during or after the orientation.

Getting better organized because training is terrible! I form. Us of the important things we need to know the day before our first day! Don't treat us like burdens because you had to train us were new we need help too!

Poor Managment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Portage, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portage, MI

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great customer's always happy to ask for help and input from employee's

Cons

Poor management and a lack of willingness to work with school schedules

More qualified managers are needed

Current Fitness Sales Assoicate / certified bike tech

Current Employee - Fitness Sales Associate/Certified Bike Tech  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Fitness Sales Associate/Certified Bike Tech in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers
    Great work environment
    Great atmosphere
    If you like providing great customer service then this is the job for you where you'll be required to push metrics like the loyally card program as well as credit cards and the No Sweat Protection Plans on qualified merchandise in the store.

Cons

Horrible pay
    Ok managers (main reason is the managers in the store I work in rarely provide you with help when you need it most and expect you to be like a robot and be at more than one place at a time). Or other words they like to overwork you.
    They're several people that will walk in and demand things and be rude every now and then.
    When it is busy, you are swamped left and right with customers and you're the only one in that department.
    They often have you scheduled by yourself either working freight on the floor when truck comes and/or cover 2-4 departments at a time.

Do not assume your employees are robots.
    Please respect your employees, or else it will come back and bite you in the behind (in verge of calling hr on my boss soon)
    Please provide help when your employees need it
    Do not take out anger on employees

Bicycle tech

Current Employee - Bike Technician  in  Arden, NC
    Current Employee - Bike Technician in Arden, NC

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's not welfare. I get to work with bikes

Cons

No hours. Management makes promises, and the acts like the conversation never happened. Company is more concerned with profit thsn taking care of employees. MANAGEMENT FEEDS YOU TYPICAL CORPORATE BS TO APPEASE YOU.

Rethink the way you treat employees. This isn't Walmart. Your employees talk,and we aren't happy.

Very unorganized company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount is good considering it's stuff I would normally buy anyway.
    Working with people that are passionate about sports too.
    TV on sports all the time.

Cons

Management unorganized pretty much all the time. Nothing is ever run smoothly.
    Scheduling is terrible. If one person calls in sick it can ruin the day.
    Chances are slim that management pays attention to your requests off, although this was better after it went to a computer system.
    New employees thrown into the fire in spots they're not qualified for.
    Good employees have to carry all the load while the poor employees just get away with not working.
    No benefits unless you're in management.

Good people, Bad management

Current Employee - Apparel Associate  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Apparel Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

Pros

The coworkers I have are amazing cool people. Most of them have amazing outside knowledge in many things and are willing to just help you out. From car troubles (one used to be a mechanic) to computer glitches(one has built computer for years).

Cons

The company claims to be great for college students. But when you availability changes due to class times management cuts your hours drastically. There's always a screw up on the schedule that needs to be fixed or leaves you working by yourself when by standard there should be 2 people. They do not inform you of anything that needs to be done until the last minute so that you are then rushing to complete several tasks at once, even if they knew about it for weeks on end.

Of you wouled just work on communication the store would move so much more smoothly.

It is what it is... retail.

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

competitive pay, great college recruiting program and training program from corporate, had a DM who cared about me (always asked how my family was doing), benefits were decent, very focused on future trends (omni-channel)

Cons

upper management is made up of Sears/Kmart people (enough said), nothing like training a newly promoted boss on how to manage people and business acumen (was very insulted that someone who had so little clue on how to actually run a business was promoted), hr (the new rep was horrible to deal with), you will have NO work/life balance (company made us open on thanksgiving and promised a 4-day paid weekend for that and it was not given), the culture is get it done at all costs (they don't care who it hurts, as long as it isn't the customer)!

don't promote people that have little to no business acumen, make it equal in ability to fire hourly associates as it is management, hr makes the process to remove associates who commit hr grievances and if an associate just makes something up about a manager they either go straight to a final warning or are terminated (this did not happen to me, but was witnessed),

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!