Dickey's BBQ Reviews

Updated July 24, 2014
Updated July 24, 2014

2.0

Roland Dickey, Jr.

Fast growing company with a lot of potential

I have been working at Dickey's BBQ full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are plenty of growth opportunities at Dickey's Barbecue. It's important to the executive team that the staff is constantly growing and learning. Awesome coworkers and fun environment. Company is growing so fast that things are always changing, kind of like the weather in Texas. Executive team knows that the employees work hard and show their appreciation daily.

Cons

There is a good reason for the structure but very little flexibility in work schedule. 1 week of vacation starts after 6 months.

Add more flexibility in the work schedule and that would make employees lives better / easier. Keep doing what your're doing! You're making Dickey's Barbecue the Nation's leader and Dickey's will take over the world in barbecue domination.

A Poisonous Environment

I have been working at Dickey's BBQ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to meet a lot of new people. If you can survive here, you can survive anywhere. Covered parking.

Cons

The environment is very, very negative. Cramped offices and cubicles and people are constantly being shuffled around for no reason. No direction, the company just lurches from one crazy idea to the next. Stores are constantly being redesigned, changes are made to food and suppliers, so there is no consistency.

Pathetic Waste of an opportunity that should have been great-and this isn't SOUR GRAPES FOLKS !

Current Employee - Operations Management  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Management in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dickey's BBQ full-time for less than a year

Pros

Littered with GREAT STAND OUT EMPLOYEES throughout the organization.

Cons

Absolutely NO POSITIVE MORALE or POSITIVE BELIEF SYSTEM about the companies inner-workings or Executive Leadership Team ( meaning all the people actually making the big money )...It is a company that is 98% franchise operations....they don't even want to own their own 12 Corporate stores they have left. ( they are ALL up for sale ) ...Company motivated by GREED !!! Just ask the Chauffeur driven Roland Dickey Jr....the man in charge...IF HE WILL GIVE YOU THE TIME OF DAY AND TALK TO YOU....LOL

The single WORST experience I have ever had in a 30 year professional Hospitality career as an Operations Manager....Word to the wise----Run as FAST as you can. Please don't buy into the CON that Dickey's .....WILL.....try to sell you....and if you do.....cool....just don't say, you weren't warned, if you actually read this......

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Food great owners and manager need a lot of work

I worked at Dickey's BBQ

Pros

Meeting new people is the best part and making sure those people are getting good food.

Cons

No advancement not given money promised sexist owner and manager.

Women can do men jobs. And don't promise something you never plan to go through with.

Horrendous work environment!!!!

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dickey's BBQ full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are some really good people that work here but the problem is they never last. It could be a great company because they have a cool history.

Cons

The CEO is one of the worst managers/leaders. He comes up with arbitrary goals that we all had hit which were so unrealistic that it was simply a joke. He always talked about being honest with ourselves and be our toughest critic which is all simply rhetoric. Everyone in the office petrified to give any real feedback or ever tell him what he doesn't want to hear. If you do you are as good as fired. Who in their right mind wants to work in an environment that doesn't value or respect its employees. This place is a joke.

1. Listen to and respect your employees. 2. Don't fire them if they say something you don't agree with. Encourage open honest dialog. 3. Quit selling franchises to people who can't afford it and then have the corporate attorney send them threatening letters if they struggle to come up with the money to open a store. 4. Quit firing employees when they fail to hit a crazy goal and never had the proper training to do the job in the first place. 5. Create an environment where people feel like they are valued and their opinions matter and then let them do their job.

No REAL Leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dickey's BBQ for more than a year

Pros

GED is a plus for promotions

Cons

No Flex Time
    Rotating Door
    Zero Leadership

They try to incorporate a culture of leadership and programs that develop growth but the issue with this is that they don't implement it in the VP's first
    You can establish great programs but what is the point if the Leaders aren't showing the employees by doing it themselves it is very difficult to respect
    Corrupt, Dishonest, and Cult like Leadership
    They need to stop saying it is a faced paced corp office, it isn't

Unprofessional

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dickey's BBQ full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food in office some days. co workers are fun to talk with, but they change often so you can't count on that.

Cons

Senior management is awful, high turnover, very unprofessional, blind leading the blind in corp office and expect no work-life balance.

Show your employees some appreciation.

Corrupt

Current Employee - Shift Manager  in  Midwest City, OK
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Midwest City, OK

I have been working at Dickey's BBQ part-time for less than a year

Pros

The actual work is a blast.

Cons

Sexually and verbaly assaulted. No concern for anyones well being. Gross employees that work with there shirt off. No one wants to work but everyone expects everything to get done.

The store in mwc oklahoma, needs to be shut down! Or a new owner...

The employees were great, but as a whole, working at my local Dickey's was disorganized and corrupt.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

I worked at Dickey's BBQ full-time for less than a year

Pros

The employees were very caring and kind. The hours were flexible. You get free food on the days you work.

Cons

Training has a bit of a learning curve. You have to learn all of the jobs from doing them based on a hurried worker's short description of how to do the job correctly, and I was personally taught way too many different ways to do things, and I was often scolded for not doing the job how I was supposed to, even though I was never officially told how to do anything the correct way.

There are no perks except for free food, which is greasy and unhealthy.

The owner puts out a tip jar against corporate's rules, and then takes all of the tips for herself.

Working in a Dickey's is like working in a cubicle. You feel very trapped, and it get's really boring being in a confined, greasy, hot area for hours on end.

The management did not give breaks unless you smoked cigarettes.

There was no way of keeping track of orders. Management bandages the problem by telling everyone to keep repeating the order to each other multiple times. RIDICULOUS. Long orders are hell.

We are often under-staffed, and the owner gets mad when you aren't doing 3 jobs at once.

Safety-regulations are almost non-existent. Most co-workers don't wash their hands, the dishes aren't cleaned correctly, sharp knives are always a hazard for the dishwashers who have to blindly reach into soapy water. We are encouraged to move hot pans using as little assistance from tools as possible (you grab scolding metal all the time.

There's several more that I can't think of, I'm sure.

Develop more official training, give us more than a couple days to adjust to a changing schedule, get a computer system so we don't have to repeat orders all the time. Basically just do everything by the book instead of cutting corners for a while.

Loved the owners.... the start up was awful

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Kent, WA

I have been working at Dickey's BBQ part-time for less than a year

Pros

Met some great people, great company culture

Cons

Everything. Disorganized, not knowledgeable about the business, never fully stocked no matter how hard they try....

Send more help to open a new store then just one representative. It forced over half of our original staff to quit due to lack of organization. Teach the staff more than just how to cook the food. There need to be discussions about breaks, dress code, customer service..... or don't hire people who aren't capable of doing those things properly.

Worked for Dickey's BBQ? Contribute to the Community!