Dickey's BBQ Reviews

Roland Dickey, Jr.

1. Not a bad job!

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager

I have been working at Dickey's BBQ full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pretty easy even if you are a first timer.

Cons

Little too laid back sometimes.

Build the right team.

2. I enjoyed working with the company, but it was extensive hours and work- life balance was poor

Former Employee - Front of the House in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Front of the House in Houston, TX

I worked at Dickey's BBQ part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There was always a chance to work
    The people that I worked with were great
    There were chances to grow within the company

Cons

Management was poor and could use some work
    The work life management is poor
    employees should be compensated better

Realize the importance of your employees
    There should be better compensation when employees are succeeding

3. Eh.

Former Employee - Shift Leader in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Dickey's BBQ

Pros

Great co-workers, very laid-back environment.

Cons

Management is unappreciative, you work hard for crap pay, favoritism.

Pay your employees better because you lose the really hardworking ones who actually give a crap about doing their job.

5. Burnt ends.

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dickey's BBQ

Pros

Fun and friendly co workers. Not a bad office or location. Strict hours, most people leave right at 5:30 every day so as long as you get your stuff done you can as well.

Big "corporate" brand in Texas that looks good on the resume.

Cons

Very flawed company. Secrecy and politics of communication of inner working of company is very high and creates stress between and within departments. Very old school in the way they do things and not open to change. Have a better way to do something and can prove it with data? Don't waste your time running it up the flagpole once upper mananagement has already made a decision.

They reward putting in the time over creative problem solving and achieving the goals that matter.

Very strict, stiff corporate culture and work environment.. Big-brother like. Always being monitored from what you are doing on your computer, what time you show up and leave, and what you are wearing. Lots of gossip and drama at this company.

Roland Dickey needs to drop his "my way or the highway" mentality, especially in areas he does not know a lot about. There are a lot of talented, hard working individuals in this company. Listen to their advice and make changes based on their recommendations.

I enjoyed the work I was doing here, but felt very eesteictied, micro-managed, and under appreciated.

6. Love it

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Spring, TX

I have been working at Dickey's BBQ full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Family oriented strong atmosphere and excellent owner

Cons

Management staffing, To much Owner involvment

Strong young intelligent and love the are of barbecue

7. Love my job, love the company.

Current Employee - Technology in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Technology in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dickey's BBQ full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A refreshingly honest and performance driven culture. Truly open door for advocating and implementing ideas, changes, improvements. Work hard, get results and you're promoted. Great exec team.

Cons

A challenge to have a very structured schedule. Can be long hours.

Love that you reward people that earn it and exit people that don't. Love it's a merit-ocracy, where good work matters. Love that negative or under-performing people aren't placated, but instead given an improve or leave plan. Love that the executive team works as hard as anyone on the team, truly knows their employees and recognizes talent. My last company was too afraid to fire anyone and it demotivated true A-players.

8. Walked out, can't take it anymore.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Delaware, OH

I worked at Dickey's BBQ full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You tell me if you can find any

Cons

So the GM and 3/4 of the crew walk out of this location on the spot and I get shifted on my way to work at another location to this one. I am told I am going to be an assistant manager and that I would be paid 10$ an hour with the ability and chances to increase business and sell the product and that you would get 10% as a bonus for getting the catering business. So I took the job and then was informed that I make minimum wage until I finish all the hoops and what not. So on my own unpaid time I was told to do the Dickey's Pride Program, I did it promptly in one night. Then I came back and waited for the servsafe to be paid for, which I did it took about a month to get to this point. I then completed it in about a week. I ended up never completing it, the owner was the proctor and told me he would get me the test that was about a month ago.... It took me around three months to get to just that part not counting needing to go through Dickey's U after that. To make matters worse the GM that was moved with me started clocking in and just leaving for the whole day doing nothing. I was left in charge to answer all calls complaints and in charge of getting the store cleaned up because the last manager was understaffed terribly and the place was neglected for years and years. Then the GM gets caught with three employees one being underage behind the store by cops with drugs dogs (they got charges its public record) and he gets moved to the brand new store as the assistant manager there, they offered the job to a different supervisor. I worked for months at 8$ an hour and for a few weeks finally 9$ an hour to be understaffed and semi doing the GMs job for weeks and weeks. The GM got a slap on the wrist and everyone else got their hours slashed or almost eliminated. They will not spend money on equipment or marketing, they won't staff the place or do proper things that makes all other businesses successful. I watched and in around three months of employment around 3-4 people not receive first pay checks until they threw fits about it, hours constantly being left off of checks or changed. All while the GM sits clocked in running around doing personal errands. I wouldn't wish employment at this place on my worst enemy.

Pay for marketing to get customers so that you can hire people, buy equipment that works so you can have food that isn't gross. Don't lie to people about pay rates and job advancement chances. Be a real owner/management team and do the right things.

9. Sloppy

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orem, UT

I worked at Dickey's BBQ part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The food is really good, when it's fresh.

Cons

Poor management. The owner is required to build a certain amount of stores in a short period of time so they are focusing on that and not so much on store operation. Compensation is below the competition.

10. a fun working place

Former Employee - Cashier/Cook in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Cashier/Cook in Reno, NV

I worked at Dickey's BBQ full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good custmor service an keeping everyone happy

Cons

i love to cook an clean

getting everything done on time

11. Too Much Work, Too Little Pay

Current Employee - Cashier/Cook in Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier/Cook in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Dickey's BBQ part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get to take food home...and if you need any drugs, any one of the staff members should be able to sell you some for a reasonable price.

Cons

Pointless tasks, picky managers, lack of organizations, Inconsistent food and schedule, and inter-company feuds made this job slightly irritating to work at. Wouldn't recommend this job to people with low patience