Dickinson Theaters Reviews

1. Theater worker

Former Employee - Concessions in Muskogee, OK
    Former Employee - Concessions in Muskogee, OK

I worked at Dickinson Theaters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, coworkers were fun. Discounts for movies.

Cons

Late nights, long shifts. Can be extremely busy at times.

2. Horrible Management

Former Employee - Concessionist in Lees Summit, MO
    Former Employee - Concessionist in Lees Summit, MO

I worked at Dickinson Theaters

Pros

- Asking time off was easy with the online system - Fun to get to know your co-workers - Occasionally you get cheap movie tickets on older releases - Ok job if you work in high school because you can work evenings

Cons

- Minimum wage with no room for growth - Sometimes random hours , not guaranteed - Management would sit in the office and play games while we worked

Advice to Management

Your employees would be more motivated if you did more than occasionally coming out of the office and barking commands.

3. Bad Management (Probably Just My Experience)

Former Employee - Theater Employee
    Former Employee - Theater Employee

I worked at Dickinson Theaters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun workplace with fun people. A variety of duties so things don't generally get boring. Ebb and flow of work load allows for some downtime. Popcorn!

Cons

Scheduling was always an issue. Generally short shifts, which leads to low pay. Management has a hard time trusting employees. Little to no opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Give your employees the trust they've earned. Monitor lower management and root out the bad eggs, as they are negativity affecting the employees that deal with your customers.

5. The location I worked for, now defunct, was a complete disaster.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Dickinson Theaters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The friendship among most employees found there was great. It really felt like a family after a while. It was the easiest job I could imagine. The hours were decent if in management or projection.

Cons

They didn't give raises with promotions, although they promised to, they never actually planned on it. (I, as well as others around me were promoted into management and still made minimum wage, nearly a year after being promoted in some cases. We worked our tails off for raises, and never received them.) After working there for two years, I was still making minimum wage. My GM was terrible, though it definitely varies by theater. This person created drama between the staff members, constantly trying to pit us against each other, constant ignorance, I seriously wonder if this person was their only option at the time so they just went with it.. Could not get unemployment after being let go because of fictional write ups from the GM, who was actually doing some unheard of stuff behind the scenes that we were all unaware of at the time. Any of the part time employees could have managed the theater better than this person.

6. General Manager with Dickinson Theaters

Current Employee - General Manager in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - General Manager in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Dickinson Theaters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free movies. Flexible Schedule.

Cons

Hours are terrible but I guess that comes with the territory. Lots of weekends and holidays. For the most part the theaters are in pretty bad shape compared to the competition and corporate does little to maintain them, thought they're trying to change that. Pay is stagnant and there are few benefits. No retirement/401K is offered. Health ins. is offered but is so expensive most cannot afford it. No benefits are offered to anyone lower than a general manager. Very hard to find a work/social life balance as corporate office expects you to be on call 24/7.

7. I miss it already

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Wichita, KS

I worked at Dickinson Theaters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cheap or free movies Clearly defined roles Flexible hours Simple tasks Great Popcorn Great co-workers and management The Regular Customers!

Cons

Late hours Midnight Shows (VERY late hours) Summer and Holiday crowds Working weekends and holidays No time to watch movies

8. Do Not Work Here

Current Employee - Projectionist
    Current Employee - Projectionist

I have been working at Dickinson Theaters

Pros

There are few good reasons for working here once you are out of high school. The best reasons would be flexibility of schedule and cheap movies, if you're into that.

Cons

There are several downsides to working for this company. First and foremost, this is an extremely unstable company, with virtually zero job security. This company has been in, or near, bankruptcy several times in the last decade. They offer no benefits or retirement for their employees, except salaried management, which comprises a very small minority of their work force. The pay is subpar, certainly not enough to make a living on.

Advice to Management

Senior management seems disinterested in their employees or the general well being and functioning of their theaters.

9. Doesn't raise pay for promotions.

I worked at Dickinson Theaters full-time

Pros

Good hours, a fun place to work over all.

Cons

Doesn't raise your pay if you are promoted, even after years of working there.

10. A good first place to work.

I worked at Dickinson Theaters

Pros

Flexible scheduling, fast paced environment, fun coworkers, one good benefit - cheap movie tickets, the management is respectful if you act in a manner deserving of respect.

Cons

There is no potential for a performance based raise. Promotions within the company were very sporadically given, they seemed to benefit those who had seniority indiscriminate of actual ability. Sometimes the tasks can grow to be a bit repetitive.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that they reinstate the raise that goes along with the promotion to Quality Assurance. I would also suggest that the promotion be more based on ability instead of just availability and seniority.

RSS Feed </> Embed