Dickstein Shapiro

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael E. Nannes

Legal Secretary/Administrative Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA friendly working environment. The firm treated their staff very well and were extremely understanding and generous.

ConsHaving to deal with D.C. firm for certain issues.

Business Professional

Confidential (Business Professional) (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIntelligent and professional people. This used to be a great place to work, with many programs and initiatives to promote work life balance and development. Lately, there is no communication.

ConsJob security. You never know when they are going to do a round of lay-offs and there's no communication on the issues going on. There is a strong disconnect in the message and what is being done.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent.

This used to be a great place to work but the top leadership has changed and nobody believes in the core values anymore.

ProsTough to say now. I really like my manager but I feel like all the good managers are leaving.

ConsTop leadership isn't communicating with staff. We usually get raises in July but they said they were deferring raises until December. None of us feel like we're getting the real story.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention when the best managers leave because the staff isn't far behind them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the best firms to work for

Senior Paralegal (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice people, decent benefits, a lot of staff support, Incentive bonuses in addition to regular bonus, great pay (for attorneys and staff)

ConsStress of not getting your billable hours of it's slow

Good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsPeople are great to work with.

ConsAdvancement opportunities not there for everyone

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary is a bit lower than market

It was okay.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe exposure is a good reason.

ConsDealing with the different personalities.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more visible.

Not As Advertised

Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsVery accepting of LGBT community; the attorney offices are nice; the location of the New York office isn't stellar but is reasonably convenient to most transportation; people are not pretentious; you don't have to be a pretty person to be accepted; the firm provides very good CLE training offered from outside consultants brought into the firm for associates; the go-to person for ethics questions is serious, intelligent, and sensible.

Cons(1) Extremely clique-y in the insurance group, which is the economic driver of the New York office; (2) the NY office seems disconnected generally with the D.C. office, where people seem marginally happier; (3) the firm misrepresentats the number of hours expected - "1950" is what's stated, but associates are also expected to do at least 50 pro bono, and another 50 of "firm citizenship" hours, such as interviewing hapless recruits, attending summer events and the like. That is 2050 hours, not 1950. Math is hard. But still. Associates aren't stupid. Don't whitewash things and they will respect you more.

Advice to Senior Management(1) Do not lie to your associates. Betrayal is worse than saying something that's hard to say in the first instance. (2) Keeping partners who (a) have anger management problems, such as throwing staplers at employees and (b) sexually harass employees is not a good way to keep or recruit associates. (3) Treat your associates with respect and they will give you better results, work harder for you, and reward you with loyalty. Do the opposite and they will envision your destruction with pleasure. (4) Plan your time better, and don't put things off to the last minute because you fear billing clients. An all-nighter costs at least as much as 2 weeks of normal hours on a brief, but creates an inferior product and damages internal morale, not to mention the mental and physical toll it takes on the attorneys.

Great Place to Work at

Paralegal (Former Employee)

ProsOne of the best salaries
    Excellent Benefits
    IN-House Gym
    In-House Cafeteria
    In-House Copy Service
    Down to earth attorney's to work for

ConsParalegal Management very deceptive, unfair and overall unwilling to hear one's side.
    Partners rarely have an open door policy-you have to go to the Senior Paralegal to find out what the Partner wants..

Okay to earn some money for a few years.

Associate (Former Employee)

ProsMoney, but not as much as at other big firms. Some really great people there.

ConsUnfair reviews and arbitrary advancement decisions. Lots of great people there, but the bad ones are especially adept at imposing their will on people.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet control of the out of control partners.

Has gone downhill...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLike most firms, staff and attorneys are a tiny bit cliquish, but it is not as bad here as some other places. You can still be friends with attorney, staff, and partner alike. As with all place, you have you're exceptions, but overall the people who work here are wonderful. The benefits are pretty good, and the office is locate right above a metro stop. They have diversity programs with some great speakers, and the office is really nice and brand new. They have their own cafe with is pretty decent, but also a bunch of places to eat in the lower level. There is also a gym in the building with nice equipment.

ConsThis place used to be a great place to work, but like many other firms in the area has been forced to cut back. The place where the cutbacks are felt the most is with staff. The amount on how they have cut back on staff has gotten to the point where the staff is unhappy (both supporting staff because they have to support as many as 3 to 4 attorneys/partners each, and attorneys who have to prepare much of their own stuff since things aren't getting done as quick as they used to.) You have some people who are incredibly busy to the point of tears and others walking around complaining about the work they don't ever seem to be working on. Maybe it was just my practice area, but management had no clue as to what was going on. When you are new, you're pretty much on you're own as far as training goes, unless you're lucky enough to find someone who wants to help you out (the great people that work there are a BIG pro). It wasn't even a year ago I used to love coming here. Now I'm glad it's over with.

Advice to Senior Management1

Worked for Dickstein Shapiro? Contribute to the Community!