Dickstein Shapiro Reviews

Business Professional

Former Employee - Confidential (Business Professional)  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Confidential (Business Professional) in Washington, DC

I worked at Dickstein Shapiro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Intelligent and professional people. This used to be a great place to work, with many programs and initiatives to promote work life balance and development. Lately, there is no communication.

Cons

Job security. You never know when they are going to do a round of lay-offs and there's no communication on the issues going on. There is a strong disconnect in the message and what is being done.

Be transparent.

Working through some issues

I have been working at Dickstein Shapiro

Pros

Stable, and some well-recognized groups. Folks are generally nice, but sometimes unwilling to confront the problems.

Cons

Poor communication from management; the usual big-law work-life balance (or lack thereof). Bad press this year.

Disappointed

Current Employee - Legal Secretary  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dickstein Shapiro full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent training opportunities, compensation was nothing to sneeze at (very competitive), benefits were equally competitive.

Cons

Working at Dickstein Shapiro felt very much to be in a "family" environment, until the managing partner, Angelo Arcadipane, left and Mike Nannes took the position. This change, coupled with the growth of the firm through mergers and acquisitions, proved this to no longer be the case. The feeling of being part of a "team" effort was lost to the majority being out for "themselves".

Get a grip!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Legal Secretary/Administrative Assistant

I worked at Dickstein Shapiro

Pros

A friendly working environment. The firm treated their staff very well and were extremely understanding and generous.

Cons

Having to deal with D.C. firm for certain issues.

This used to be a great place to work but the top leadership has changed and nobody believes in the core values anymore.

I have been working at Dickstein Shapiro

Pros

Tough to say now. I really like my manager but I feel like all the good managers are leaving.

Cons

Top leadership isn't communicating with staff. We usually get raises in July but they said they were deferring raises until December. None of us feel like we're getting the real story.

Pay attention when the best managers leave because the staff isn't far behind them.

One of the best firms to work for

Former Employee - Senior Paralegal  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Paralegal in New York, NY

I worked at Dickstein Shapiro full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice people, decent benefits, a lot of staff support, Incentive bonuses in addition to regular bonus, great pay (for attorneys and staff)

Cons

Stress of not getting your billable hours of it's slow

Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dickstein Shapiro

Pros

People are great to work with.

Cons

Advancement opportunities not there for everyone

Salary is a bit lower than market

It was okay.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dickstein Shapiro

Pros

The exposure is a good reason.

Cons

Dealing with the different personalities.

Be more visible.

Not As Advertised

Former Employee - Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Dickstein Shapiro

Pros

Very accepting of LGBT community; the attorney offices are nice; the location of the New York office isn't stellar but is reasonably convenient to most transportation; people are not pretentious; you don't have to be a pretty person to be accepted; the firm provides very good CLE training offered from outside consultants brought into the firm for associates; the go-to person for ethics questions is serious, intelligent, and sensible.

Cons

(1) Extremely clique-y in the insurance group, which is the economic driver of the New York office; (2) the NY office seems disconnected generally with the D.C. office, where people seem marginally happier; (3) the firm misrepresentats the number of hours expected - "1950" is what's stated, but associates are also expected to do at least 50 pro bono, and another 50 of "firm citizenship" hours, such as interviewing hapless recruits, attending summer events and the like. That is 2050 hours, not 1950. Math is hard. But still. Associates aren't stupid. Don't whitewash things and they will respect you more.

(1) Do not lie to your associates. Betrayal is worse than saying something that's hard to say in the first instance. (2) Keeping partners who (a) have anger management problems, such as throwing staplers at employees and (b) sexually harass employees is not a good way to keep or recruit associates. (3) Treat your associates with respect and they will give you better results, work harder for you, and reward you with loyalty. Do the opposite and they will envision your destruction with pleasure. (4) Plan your time better, and don't put things off to the last minute because you fear billing clients. An all-nighter costs at least as much as 2 weeks of normal hours on a brief, but creates an inferior product and damages internal morale, not to mention the mental and physical toll it takes on the attorneys.

Great Place to Work at

Former Employee - Paralegal
    Former Employee - Paralegal

I worked at Dickstein Shapiro

Pros

One of the best salaries
    Excellent Benefits
    IN-House Gym
    In-House Cafeteria
    In-House Copy Service
    Down to earth attorney's to work for

Cons

Paralegal Management very deceptive, unfair and overall unwilling to hear one's side.
    Partners rarely have an open door policy-you have to go to the Senior Paralegal to find out what the Partner wants..

Worked for Dickstein Shapiro? Contribute to the Community!