Diebold

Updated January 29, 2015
2.6

Diebold President and Chief Executive Officer Andy W. Mattes
Andy W. Mattes

Pros
  • Great people to work with and a supportive team environment (in 13 reviews)

• Very good people in the groups I worked with, and some very motivated ones at that (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management wants everyone to be yes sir workers (in 15 reviews)

• Very long hours, 70 to 80 hour weeks are normal (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

It was OK

I worked at Diebold

Pros

The pay was good. There was an emphasis on teamwork. Managers were accommodating and flexible. It was a very loose and comfortable environment

Cons

Some managers showed visible biases towards other employees. Responsibilities were not distributed evenly. Organizational restructuring was a constant.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Canton, OH

I have been working at Diebold full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, promotions, benefits

Cons

None that I can think of.

Constantly changing environment. Could use stability in planning and operations.

I worked at Diebold full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation was adequate. Opportunities for growth with the many changes going on. For me, location was important.

Cons

As mentioned, no stability in direction and planning. Need to stay the course and give something enough of a try. Stuck in the banking market, which has not been growing for some time. Thus, it's difficult for Diebold to show tremendous growth.

See the cons.

Lack of support

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH

I have been working at Diebold full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good cafeteria, the benefits were average. Overall staff were friendly.

Cons

Lower than normal compensation, human resources betrayed my trust by sharing information that was disclosed to them in private. There is an overarching feeling that if you are not "in the group", you will be passed by for promotions and promotions may be provided to individuals that are not qualified. Because it was "managers discretion" on telecommuting, you would often see a manager work from home but not allow his employees.

Consider providing appropriate compensation for responsibilities. Management did not have a good relationship with many of their subordinates.

Very unorganized. All they want to do is hire temps so they don't have to pay for health insurance.

Former Employee - Implementation Coordinator
    Former Employee - Implementation Coordinator

I worked at Diebold full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay was above average in this days market.

Cons

The management seemed to have no idea what job they even hired me for. I was told that it would be 3 weeks for me to get a computer or a phone or even a desk. I was hired through a temp agency, but when I showed up for my first day I was informed that "they didn't know what to do with me." My first day of training consisted of my sitting in a room with a woman on a conference call. Yes, that was my training day. She actually stated many times that she was surprised I was hired for this position as an hourly employee because there was no way this job could be done in a 40 hr work week and I would NEVER be paid overtime. These were her words. Still, I was excited to be working at such a large company and the pay was good. I was let go the following day. The reason? According to my "trainer" the woman that talked on the phone for 7 hours that day, I said "wow, this is a lot of information." She said that I seemed eager to take smoke breaks and leave. I don't even smoke!!! Overall, it was just an unpleasant situation.

When someone comes in on their first day, please try not to tell them that you aren't sure what they are doing there. If you don't have a solid position open, don't hire anyone. I know a couple people that work there still. There is no job security as the company is always laying off people. I have also been told by those current employees that it is almost impossible to work your way up in the company.

No Room to Grow

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Canton, OH

I worked at Diebold as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Nothing good comes from this company involved like the plague.

Cons

Too many chiefs not enough Indians.

Please listen to employees and respect decisions.

It's age is showing

I have been working at Diebold full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any. The stock might go up some since the CEO cares only about it. Some of the people are nice.

Cons

Bureaucracy, arrogant management, no leadership training. Darwinian environment. Managers focus on pleasing those above and don't much care about those they manage.

Employees are much smarter than you think. Consider asking them for their ideas.

Don't be fooled by the Google-like work environment.

I worked at Diebold full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, exciting industry that impacts consumers all over the world, advanced technology, exposure to a challenging corporate environment, global footprint.

Cons

Unethical behavior is 100% tolerated at every level. It is a dog-eat-dog world at Diebold where the finger is always pointed at someone else. Good morals are eatin alive by a bad culture.

Enforce the ethics policy at all levels of the corporation.

Great company that treat people like family.

Current Employee - Corporate in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Corporate in Akron, OH

I have been working at Diebold full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for personal development.

Cons

Low salaries for the work they ask you to do.

Don't lose touch with the long and rich history and tradition of the company.

Transformation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Canton, OH

I have been working at Diebold full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning tools, pockets of positive environments throughout the organization, opportunity to be part of a turnaround story if execution works as intended, opportunity to work with a number of high level ex-HP employees, executive team is setting strategy for the organization

Cons

Middle managers do not follow through with executive strategy/policies and it appears that executive team doesn't realize this is an issue, many of the issues of egocentric management still exist (not resolved with VERP), benefits are only OK, no increases to base pay for last 2 years and no end in sight, managers provide a glass ceiling limiting career growth, in many areas of the organization it appears that managers (directors, VPs) are not sure of the role they are to play in the change.

Realize that you have a disconnect between your strategy and execution of those strategies downstream. You're attempting to create a progressive environment at the corporate office which is making the managers nervous... they are not allowing employees to participate in policies such as work from home. To the employees, this means that the managers do not trust us to be responsible unless they are sitting next to us. You will continue to lose top performers. Each of us know we are replaceable, but there is a cost associated with losing employees that must be considered.