Diebold

Employer Engaged

No Room to Grow

Former Contractor - Systems Engineer in Canton, OH
    Former Contractor - Systems Engineer in Canton, OH

I worked at Diebold as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Nothing good comes from this company involved like the plague.

Cons

Too many chiefs not enough Indians.

Please listen to employees and respect decisions.

It's age is showing

I have been working at Diebold full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any. The stock might go up some since the CEO cares only about it. Some of the people are nice.

Cons

Bureaucracy, arrogant management, no leadership training. Darwinian environment. Managers focus on pleasing those above and don't much care about those they manage.

Employees are much smarter than you think. Consider asking them for their ideas.

Don't be fooled by the Google-like work environment.

I worked at Diebold full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, exciting industry that impacts consumers all over the world, advanced technology, exposure to a challenging corporate environment, global footprint.

Cons

Unethical behavior is 100% tolerated at every level. It is a dog-eat-dog world at Diebold where the finger is always pointed at someone else. Good morals are eatin alive by a bad culture.

Enforce the ethics policy at all levels of the corporation.

Transformation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Canton, OH

I have been working at Diebold full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning tools, pockets of positive environments throughout the organization, opportunity to be part of a turnaround story if execution works as intended, opportunity to work with a number of high level ex-HP employees, executive team is setting strategy for the organization

Cons

Middle managers do not follow through with executive strategy/policies and it appears that executive team doesn't realize this is an issue, many of the issues of egocentric management still exist (not resolved with VERP), benefits are only OK, no increases to base pay for last 2 years and no end in sight, managers provide a glass ceiling limiting career growth, in many areas of the organization it appears that managers (directors, VPs) are not sure of the role they are to play in the change.

Realize that you have a disconnect between your strategy and execution of those strategies downstream. You're attempting to create a progressive environment at the corporate office which is making the managers nervous... they are not allowing employees to participate in policies such as work from home. To the employees, this means that the managers do not trust us to be responsible unless they are sitting next to us. You will continue to lose top performers. Each of us know we are replaceable, but there is a cost associated with losing employees that must be considered.

Was great place to work until new CEO took over.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Allentown, PA

I worked at Diebold full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co workers are great . Everyone works as a team player to get the job done.

Cons

Don't know if you are going to be the next to be layed off.

I enjoyed the managers I worked with .

A career gone bad.

I worked at Diebold (more than 10 years)

Pros

Made a decent living for a number of years, went through multiple changes, most for the best at the time.

Cons

New Senior management seems bent on destroying a good company. Has had a great reputation for decades, but that has ALL been knocked aside in favor of Wall Street- The short term gains have and will continue to destroy what a lot of time and good people gave their lives to make a reality. Current customers no longer have ANY faith in the company.

Living on pins and needles!

Former Employee - Project Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Diebold full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Early in my Diebold career I found that hard work, long hours and full company dedication was the Diebold way of life and enjoyed it. Everyone from new employees to seasoned upper managers enjoyed contributing to the success of the company and from that success came rewards; monetary, benefits and or team acknowledgement. There was not a better career oriented company with a better group of people to work for...anywhere.

Cons

In recent years with the arrival of new CEO's and their newly appointed leaders, the company morale from above, below and across has tanked! Upper management is now proficient in CYA and have taken on a 'read between the lines approach' in management. Example: 12 months worth of corporate weekly meetings and training sessions, with the intent of detailing transformation strategies and the roll out of new operating processes were abruptly scrapped..."go back to the way you used to do business", end of communication. Ah, exactly what was the old way (?) as so many employees and groups had been disbanded and/or terminated and the remaining group policies and operating procedures are unknown. As a previous low level manager I have seen and heard of similar scenarios from field organizations and peers. For years the 'constant' threat of layoff and/or termination have taken a toll on the good employee mind set. My advise to someone seeking Diebold employment is to hire on and stay at an hourly position as the reduction of the salaried position workforce now requires excessive hours, and forget about any thought of annual raises or goal incentives. You will benefit with overtime pay!

The company financial situation is not the result of a workforce failure. If it were, the company would never have progressed to the status in which it is...or once was. Understandably, 'timely' transformation and change is the key to continued success. Major corporate players have misled stakeholders with false projections resulting in failed outcomes so without hesitation the only immediate recourse available to upper management is the knee jerk reaction of workforce reduction or at least the looming threat of such. Customers, internal and external, are people in any capacity in which you deal with them. They have and will continue to pick up on company loyalty and morale issue's. I actually quit a17 year stint with this company to 'allow' time for a family life and regain self worth and pride. But all said and done, thank you for the opportunity as I have learned a valuable life lesson and met some of the most outstanding people I believe I will ever run across!

Unfortunately this company is incredibly disorganized from the top down.

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Canton, OH

I worked at Diebold full-time

Pros

Surprisingly a good brand in the banking industry. The alarm and monitoring division is the only well run portion of this organization.

Cons

Very disorganized. Processes within this organization are incredibly archaic and inefficient, whatever success they have is in spite poor operational processes and work flow.

Restructure and hire a talented management team.

Customer Solutions Manger

Current Employee - Customer Solutions Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Solutions Manager

I have been working at Diebold full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and team members that I worked with for many years, associates are great and get the job done every time, they go beyond the call of duty.

Cons

micro management al all levels, unable to trust those below them, no overnight travel, hard to manage by email, lack of resources

Let the people do their jobs, they will surprise you; all the money spent on Leadership training was wasted as the RVP and above levee did not change.

The last five years were constant cuts

Former Employee - Technical Instructor in North Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Technical Instructor in North Canton, OH

I worked at Diebold full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people were awesome, that was the only good thing left at Diebold

Cons

The constant cuts. Just when you think they can't cut anymore, there are more draconian cuts.

The companies values and culture need to change. You have created an environment of fear and loathing.