Diesel Reviews

Updated October 11, 2014
3.2

Diesel CEO Renzo Rosso
Renzo Rosso

Smart has the plans, Stupid has the stories.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Diesel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Seriously one of the best companies I've worked for. Not only do they make a great product but they encourage individualism amongst there staff. Full time employees not only get some of the best health benefits package I've ever seen in the US of A that include vision and dental but also 401K options and an increasing paid leave based on time with the company. Not to mention a clothing "allowance" and a 50% discount to keep you invested in the current collections.

Work vs Life conditions also are a key factor as the staff are family. We enjoy lives outside of work and rarely does work come home with us.

Cons

Some home office to store miss alignments when it comes to better work practices. And with a recent changing of the guard in upper management, some decisions on the managerial level don't make sense at the store level. Pushing for salary increases based on performance is an uphill battle as well. Without a promotion it's hard to increase your base even with a positive performance record.

Give more incentives to those who perform well not just in the business but in keeping the business alive when times get tough.

Emotional Rollercoaster

I have been working at Diesel

Pros

People complain about this job like no other but in the end, we stay for the amazing people and free clothes. Diesel is the kind of place where you can actually gain experience and take with you some great knowledge.

Cons

Where to start....
    -Diesel does not pay nearly enough as they should be if they even cared about the fact that their employees are struggling to survive. I don't even know how the company gets away with such terrible wages.
    -HR doesn't care about your problems unless if your problem can be filed as a lawsuit. HR tells employees to take it up with their store managers, even if the issue is your store manager.
    -At the store level, managers also don't care about your problems. You can tell them every complaint you have and they will sit there and act like they care and then never do or say anything about it again.

Start caring about your employees and take care of our concerns. Maybe people wouldn't quit so fast if management didn't come off so harsh and make the job seem more intense than it really is.

Stop telling employees to leave their emotions at home yet when you're upset with an employee it's ok for you to ignore us and blatantly act like there's something wrong. Being a hypocrite isn't cute.

Listen to the complaints that employees have and ACTUALLY FIX IT.

A job for spoiled kids or adults who still live with their parents. Not recommended for people who support themselves.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Diesel part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Awesome coworkers. We're pretty much like family.
    - Freedom to express yourself and creativity. (Only the Brave!)
    - Clothing allotment every season.
    - The clothing is unique and it's pleasing to the eye.
    - Easy to engage with customers.
    - Good bonuses (makes up for 40% of the paycheck)

Cons

- Due to 'budget cuts' whatever that really means...I've been working as a 'part time' with 25+ hours with no benefits. They won't switch me to full time saying how money is tight. Uh okay? Whatever that means.
    - Minimum wage does NOT start at $10 unless you work at a bigger store (New York, San Fransisco, etc) I get paid $7 with 3% commission in a very slow store. We are located where housing is very expensive everywhere, including where I rent. (It's inevitable)
    - Management is all sorts of whack. Going from favoritism, close minded-ness, to the lack of work they do. Honestly, what do they REALLY do inside the office?
    - No matter how much work you put in the store, if your manager doesn't like you, you will never EVER move up. They will manipulate you in to thinking you will, and even telling you and that they are on your side.
    - HR doesn't follow up. They really don't care. Unless the store is on fire or if you are molested, they don't care about 'petty' things.

I've been working with this company for 4 years.
    I ask myself why I'm still here but I realize I have rent to pay and job are hard to get in this economy.

I would give this job one star but I love my coworkers and I've met good people through this job so I'm giving it 2.

Stop sitting in the office and DO something.
    Please stop with favoritisms and actually see who's really faithful and true to the company;
    The one who's taking the initiative and taking that extra step to make the store look good for the customers? Or the one who will pretend to listen to your life stories to get a raise? (Which we all know by now. We will never ever get a raise. None of us. What even is a raise?)

Amazing company when I first started but the company started to decline after a couple of years.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Diesel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people that I worked with were more like family. Clothing allowance on clothes each season. Good discount on clothing and sale merchandise while I was there (they have updated the employee discount since I left and it is now less favorable). Pay became favorable after turning a middle of the pack store and managing it in to a top performing store but it wasn't great in the beginning. I was able to travel to HQ in Italy and meet Renzo Rosso.

Cons

Corporate politics. Easy to fall in and out of favor with upper management. Too many changes in upper management. During my 7 years in Diesel USA, there were 2 CEO's, 4 Director of Stores. Constant changes in the company philosophy. I was promised a promotion which never happened Finally after almost a year and half of unfulfilled promises I decided to part ways. Store Management was expected to put in extra time without extra compensation. Turnaround to fill open positions sometimes took weeks maybe up to a month due the monotonous paperwork placing a strain on store staff due to being understaffed. They began with store closures during my last few months there. I also here that they are closing their planet store on 5th Ave. in NYC.

Adhere to the development plans that you put in place. Corporate employees and Field Managers should be held to the same accountability that is expected of Store Staff. Field Managers would routinely "work from home" as opposed to in the office, however when attempted to reach them Store Management would not be able to get a hold of them.

Account Receivables Intern

Former Employee - Account Receivables Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Receivables Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Diesel as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

received a lot of credit from working the sample sale at headquarters and got a lot of free clothes

Cons

the work wasn't really challenging

Whole Sale Intern in NYC offices

I have been working at Diesel as an intern

Pros

- work closely with account executive, learn a lot, nice working environment, not stressful

Cons

- they don't do much hiring, no assistant positions,

Loved it.

Current Employee - Sales Stylist in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Sales Stylist in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Diesel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Diesel is an awesome brand. I love the high quality denim and edgy lifestyle. I loved working for the company, the music in the store is great as well. I met a lot of cool customers as well as good friends from working for this company. Diesel loves to consider there workers as "family" which makes for a nice sense of community. They also spend a lot of time training their employees which shows how much they care about the success of there company. Seriously my favorite job atmosphere thus far.

Cons

Considering the traffic of certain retail stores the pay isn't that great. They do give you a nice clothing allowance and discount.

This is to senior management, INCREASE YOUR PAY! $6/hr is weak, and business is getting slower in areas so the commission doesn't cut it...

Overall, an amazing and worthwhile experience.

Current Employee - Buying
    Current Employee - Buying

I have been working at Diesel full-time

Pros

The people. The people. The people.

Cons

Recently, the culture seems to be in a constant state of uncertain flux.

Great company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Diesel as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I loved being around enthusiastic people who were always friendly, and seemed to love their job.

Cons

Wish I could have been more challenged, as every task was relatively simple.

chaos

I have been working at Diesel

Pros

good environment, friendly people, in-house gym and restaurant

Cons

total chaos in terms of organization, overpaid managers doing nothing