Diesel Reviews

Renzo Rosso

1. great company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Aventura, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Aventura, FL

I have been working at Diesel part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good money. About $2000 monthly
    $7 base pay, 3% commission on all sales, $20 bonus on $500 sales and $45 bonus on $1100 sales
    Free clothes
    Cool people

Cons

Better base pay would be great for the slower season. Also too many people scheduled during slow season. Make clothing discount bigger

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. This job was my boyfriend for 11 years

I worked at Diesel

Pros

My amazing and inspiring coworkers. I met some of my very best friends at Diesel.

Cons

Started to leave the "human" out of Human Resources towards the end of my run there, you know what I'm saying?

Advice to Management

Keep in mind that yours is a dying industry. Continue to take advantage of the individuals who make your stores different from some other big box mall store. Or don't. Let's see how far that gets you. PS punk is not a thousand dollar jacket. Punk is the attitude behind it. Your knife is dulling, guys.

3. Was a great company with a great work life balance. Not anymore !

I worked at Diesel

Pros

Free clothes good health insurance

Cons

It's retail so the hours are demanding and working every holiday is awful. Unreasonable targets so you barely get a bonus. Scetchy corporate people including human resources.

Advice to Management

Be honest and understanding that managers have a life too! If you require store level employees to work crazy holiday schedules CEO on down should have that same no family life schedule! Be more professional!

5. Room for Improvement (Diesel Black Gold)

Former Employee - Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at Diesel

Pros

-Higher hourly than most retail companies
    -Canvas for creative work
    -Shorter shifts than most retail shops
    -Opportunity to build own business through clienteling

Cons

-Lots of micro management
    -Very little structure
    -Receiving many orders from different departments leading to exhaustion and frustration
    -Policy & Procedures are only relevant to those not friends with upper management
    -Very little room for error
    -At Will Company
    -Low volume store in SoHo
    -Ill fitting product expected to be sold to non-existing clients. Will be held accountable for it.

Advice to Management

None

Worst company I have ever worked for.

I have been working at Diesel

Pros

You receive a clothing allowance every 6 months to get some free clothing. * refer to cons also. Shoe discount of 70% off.

Cons

There is absolutely no training structure.. Well there is but I found that on my own. I was thrown on the floor on the second day. Not I am not comfortable with selling but with not much knowledge of the product I'm representing it's makes for a very stressful Intel to the company/store. They recently instituted a policy that allows the company to document you every month you miss you s.p.h. (Sales per hour.) Nothing about this company is associate friendly. If there is I haven't seen it. I would never recommend this company to anyone and will take every chance to tell anyone who asked me about it how I fee about the company.

Even the clothing allowance has its cons. You eventually get taxes taken from u twice. Once at checkout which is taken from ur allowance and then taxes are faked from your check twice a year in two big chucks.

Advice to Management

If you want results from a staff that is struggling.. Don't threaten then with documentation from the beginning. Especially when the staff is short staffed and there's people in the store trying to juggle multiple positions at once to keep they store going. Stop think higher management and think store level.

7. Better have a passion for fashion!

I worked at Diesel

Pros

It's nice to work for a billion dollar fashion house as hq is very nice and very contemporary. People are mostly nice and if you're an intern, put forth an effort and they will most likely reciprocate. Flexible with work days and hours.

Cons

Unpaid intern position only. They use their name far too much rather than what can be learned. Some tasks are very menial and mindless so be ready for a helping of it.

Advice to Management

Make the interns feel like more than cheap labor and give them a sense of community.

8. Fun culture/bad treatment of employees

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Diesel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun working culture...very diverse! Not as much structure as other retailers (if that's your thing).

Cons

Poor treatment of employees in terms of the way senior management handles difficult issues. Poor ability to roll out new initiatives in store. Good ideas but they could never get the execution right.

Advice to Management

Better recognition to management. Better communication between corporate and stores.

9. Fun place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Diesel part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great discount, awesome co-workers, decent music.

Cons

No full time at small stores.

10. One of the best retail jobs you'll find.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Diesel part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Pay is better than most retail jobs.
    - Discount is good.

Cons

- Long hours.
    - Hectic scheduling at times.

Advice to Management

Communication is key with your employees.

11. FT Sales Stylist

Current Employee - FT Sales Stylist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - FT Sales Stylist in New York, NY

I have been working at Diesel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Diesel is overall a pretty great place to work. The people are awesome and the vibe is chill (in a hectic at the same time kind of way). There is a decent amount of room for growth. If you want to get somewhere or move up in the company they'll sure as hell make you work for it, but if you're good at your job they'll help you get there. The clothes are awesome and the discount/allowance system is pretty generous. You make 3% commission on all your sales and bonus on sales over $500 and $1000, so if you hustle you can make some decent money.

Cons

The hourly rate and commission rates are significantly lower than most other high-end retail jobs with commission based pays. It sucks because I see my coworkers, myself included, struggling to even live in the city we work in. Diesel has a strict open availability policy for full-time employees. Hours are long and you work 5 full days a week, so getting a second job isn't much of an option. In reality, Diesel needs to start considering the fact that most of their employees rely solely on their pay with the company to survive and take more ownership over the situation.