Diesel Reviews

Account Receivables Intern

Former Employee - Account Receivables Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Receivables Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Diesel as an intern for less than a year

Pros

received a lot of credit from working the sample sale at headquarters and got a lot of free clothes

Cons

the work wasn't really challenging

A job for spoiled kids or adults who still live with their parents. Not recommended for people who support themselves.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Diesel part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Awesome coworkers. We're pretty much like family.
    - Freedom to express yourself and creativity. (Only the Brave!)
    - Clothing allotment every season.
    - The clothing is unique and it's pleasing to the eye.
    - Easy to engage with customers.
    - Good bonuses (makes up for 40% of the paycheck)

Cons

- Due to 'budget cuts' whatever that really means...I've been working as a 'part time' with 25+ hours with no benefits. They won't switch me to full time saying how money is tight. Uh okay? Whatever that means.
    - Minimum wage does NOT start at $10 unless you work at a bigger store (New York, San Fransisco, etc) I get paid $7 with 3% commission in a very slow store. We are located where housing is very expensive everywhere, including where I rent. (It's inevitable)
    - Management is all sorts of whack. Going from favoritism, close minded-ness, to the lack of work they do. Honestly, what do they REALLY do inside the office?
    - No matter how much work you put in the store, if your manager doesn't like you, you will never EVER move up. They will manipulate you in to thinking you will, and even telling you and that they are on your side.
    - HR doesn't follow up. They really don't care. Unless the store is on fire or if you are molested, they don't care about 'petty' things.

I've been working with this company for 4 years.
    I ask myself why I'm still here but I realize I have rent to pay and job are hard to get in this economy.

I would give this job one star but I love my coworkers and I've met good people through this job so I'm giving it 2.

Stop sitting in the office and DO something.
    Please stop with favoritisms and actually see who's really faithful and true to the company;
    The one who's taking the initiative and taking that extra step to make the store look good for the customers? Or the one who will pretend to listen to your life stories to get a raise? (Which we all know by now. We will never ever get a raise. None of us. What even is a raise?)

Amazing company when I first started but the company started to decline after a couple of years.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Diesel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people that I worked with were more like family. Clothing allowance on clothes each season. Good discount on clothing and sale merchandise while I was there (they have updated the employee discount since I left and it is now less favorable). Pay became favorable after turning a middle of the pack store and managing it in to a top performing store but it wasn't great in the beginning. I was able to travel to HQ in Italy and meet Renzo Rosso.

Cons

Corporate politics. Easy to fall in and out of favor with upper management. Too many changes in upper management. During my 7 years in Diesel USA, there were 2 CEO's, 4 Director of Stores. Constant changes in the company philosophy. I was promised a promotion which never happened Finally after almost a year and half of unfulfilled promises I decided to part ways. Store Management was expected to put in extra time without extra compensation. Turnaround to fill open positions sometimes took weeks maybe up to a month due the monotonous paperwork placing a strain on store staff due to being understaffed. They began with store closures during my last few months there. I also here that they are closing their planet store on 5th Ave. in NYC.

Adhere to the development plans that you put in place. Corporate employees and Field Managers should be held to the same accountability that is expected of Store Staff. Field Managers would routinely "work from home" as opposed to in the office, however when attempted to reach them Store Management would not be able to get a hold of them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Whole Sale Intern in NYC offices

I have been working at Diesel as an intern

Pros

- work closely with account executive, learn a lot, nice working environment, not stressful

Cons

- they don't do much hiring, no assistant positions,

Loved it.

Current Employee - Sales Stylist  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Sales Stylist in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Diesel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diesel is an awesome brand. I love the high quality denim and edgy lifestyle. I loved working for the company, the music in the store is great as well. I met a lot of cool customers as well as good friends from working for this company. Diesel loves to consider there workers as "family" which makes for a nice sense of community. They also spend a lot of time training their employees which shows how much they care about the success of there company. Seriously my favorite job atmosphere thus far.

Cons

Considering the traffic of certain retail stores the pay isn't that great. They do give you a nice clothing allowance and discount.

This is to senior management, INCREASE YOUR PAY! $6/hr is weak, and business is getting slower in areas so the commission doesn't cut it...

Overall, an amazing and worthwhile experience.

Current Employee - Buying
    Current Employee - Buying

I have been working at Diesel full-time

Pros

The people. The people. The people.

Cons

Recently, the culture seems to be in a constant state of uncertain flux.

Great company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Diesel as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I loved being around enthusiastic people who were always friendly, and seemed to love their job.

Cons

Wish I could have been more challenged, as every task was relatively simple.

chaos

I have been working at Diesel

Pros

good environment, friendly people, in-house gym and restaurant

Cons

total chaos in terms of organization, overpaid managers doing nothing

Chickens with their heads cut off.

Current Employee - Sales Stylist  in  Tinton Falls, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Stylist in Tinton Falls, NJ

I have been working at Diesel part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people to work with.
    Flexible schedule.

Cons

I have been working in the outlet division of NJ.

Incredibly unfair compensation
    -For $8.50, it simply is not worth it (at least at the store I worked). The company is thinking about doing commission for the outlet realm, but I feel it will not be a major improvement especially if it is a low volume store.

Very mediocre management team
    -There are only 7 people for the entire store but for some reason communication is still very difficult and disorganized.
    -The expectations and demands for corporate are unrealistic especially when not given the proper training or tools in order to perform.

Very cliquey/ unprofessional
    -The people who have worked there the longest are the greatest of friends which is fine but when it comes to doing work, it can be very unprofessional when involving friendships in the workplace and also when trying to work.
    -One time someone came in high into work and actually admitted it, but there were no punishments or repercussions.

Very uncomfortable/ cramped working conditions
    -The stockroom is an accident waiting to happen. There are heaping piles of clothes to the ceiling and very wobbly shelves.

Low Quality clothing
    -Because we are an outlet, we don't get the best clothes that you would see in a retailer. A lot of the times we get clothes that are produced for the outlet division which is low quality and high price

Annoying Customers
    -In the outlet there are a lot of foreign customers who are very demanding and needy. They will always try to get you to change the price or demand for extra discounts.

Very poor POS systems
    -The cash registers and computers are very slow and unreliable. Many times we had to turn customers down because our system simply can not take their international card (but other stores in the mall can).

Focus more on employee culture and improving working conditions.

Badly organized group of great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Diesel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great perks.
    Close knit group.
    Casual work environment.

Cons

Outdated info systems
    Poor communication
    Horribly low salaries
    Limited promotion opportunities

Pay with the market. Update your systems.

Worked for Diesel? Contribute to the Community!