Digi International Reviews

44 reviews filtered by
2.3
Digi International Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Dunsmore
Joe Dunsmore

1. Traditionally stable company in transition.

Former Employee - Product Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Digi International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with and a lot of varied products. Company is debt free and good fiscal shape. Never really had a bad experience working with any of the US based employees.

Cons

It seems to take forever to get anything done. Most projects have to go through a lot of departments and most departments are understaffed for the workload. Company is in transition as is going to have to figure out what they want to be in the next 10 years.

Advice to Management

For a growth company Digi should be a lot more aggressive. Get a new board of directors. I haven't seen anything positive come out of the board in years.

Fun peers terrible upper management

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digi International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Everyday I get to work with some very talented fun people.
    -Laid-back fun atmosphere
    -Decent benefits
    -Employees want to innovate and evolve to do great things

Cons

-HR/IT refuses to provide employees with the tools/equipment they want (standing desks, Macs, etc...)
    -Upper management seems clueless and refuses to let go of outdated processes
    -Individual goals force employees to choose between doing useless work to make money versus the assigned project work
    -Project schizophrenia, any given time a team of 5 people might have 5-6 highest priority items
    -Attempting to do agile without the proper roles (Scrum master) and keeping old business requirements (set date and features)

Advice to Management

Pick if you are ok with going Agile or not. If you are do it correctly instead of dabbling. Dabbling is just making everyone frustrated.

Get rid of old requirements on projects. We do too much paperwork that never gets looked at, hold too many meetings where 90% of the participants are checking email and waste too much time trying to plan things that we know are going to change.

Give employees the tools they want so they can do the best job possible. If a developer wants a Mac, give them a Mac (without several weeks of fighting for it). If someone wants a standing desk, give them a standing desk.

Focus on getting something done that is great instead of trying to hit 10 targets at the same time and significantly compromising all of them.

Define a culture... right now the Culture seems to be never say no and try to do everything for everyone.

Facilitate better communication between Engineering project teams.

Company is in a state of flux

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Digi International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I thought the pay and the benefits were good and that the flexibility of my boss was an added bonus. Could be a cool company and products with the right people leading us. CEO being fired will give Digi a chance since change when new one comes in.

Cons

I worked for Digi before they bought Etherios. It seemed like a good thing but the integration never happened beyond the reporting structure. The businesses are totally separate and from what I can tell all the attention is given to Etherios even though they are not meeting any of the financial goals - I've heard they are half of what they are supposed to be. They need to give some focus to the products and people that are delivering revenue today.

Advice to Management

It's simple, get out of the meeting room and listen to the market and our customers. Also, get the HR and Engineering leaders to do their jobs instead of just try to make the CEO happy.

5. Bad

I have been working at Digi International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can find one that defines a great place to work- a very negative and lack of leadership environment

Cons

No leadership on any level

Advice to Management

All VP and CEO needs to be fire and hire fresh talent

6. Bad management & Cronyism

I have been working at Digi International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent coworkers, stable company.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive. Benefits are not competitive. Talented employees are leaving in droves. New hires are just out of school. Cronyism is rampant. Workload is poorly managed. Corporate utility systems (HR, IT, etc...) are inflexible, antiquated and inefficient. Company has bet its future on hardware-services integration but corporate culture is increasingly siloed. Project/product teams don't communicate with each other. There is very little coordination of effort across departments/teams.

Advice to Management

Management incentive structures are at odds with both employee and investor priorities. Cronyism is crippling the company and preventing meaningful change. Corporate vision is built on delivering integrated hardware/software/service solutions but hardware, software, and service divisions don't speak, communicate or share information effectively.

7. Struggling company, fledgling leadership in a growth industry

Current Employee - Product Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digi International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good cafe, good market to be in, good work / life balance, good co-workers (but the good ones are leaving) It is not a micro managed organization. Cash heavy and liquid.

Cons

Digi switched gears from a good hardware company to a software centric organization with a "me too" product offering. I'm not saying it was a comletely bad idea, but Digi bet the farm on it and execution has failed. Leadership of the "new co" will not admit that it is not working. Numbers are falling, talented people have places to go. The thought is to hire more people or replace talent with people who dont have experience in the core product/services. Because of this, Digi is not innovating and is falling further and further behind in a groth market.

I dont expect Digi to continue on this path and the board will make more changes. I'm not sure how much longer Digi, as we know it, will be around.

Advice to Management

If at first you dont succeed, try, try again... unless of course you are trying the same things and expect different results.

Odd industry. Good potential. Mediocre performance

I have been working at Digi International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance. The working environment is flexible. Most of the coworkers are friendly. Digi Cafe is a amazing place to rest and chat.

Cons

It is true that the vision of the company is forever moving. The pay is low compared with the workload. More and more competitors are rushing into this industry.

9. Great Company... Going through Changes

I have been working at Digi International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dynamic Environment. Always something going on. Love the people.

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth. Company lacks the laser to be wildly successful.

10. ugh

Former Employee - Firmware Test Engineer in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Firmware Test Engineer in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Digi International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is great. PTO is great.

Cons

You get thrown into things without any training. Sink or Swim. Coworkers can be gossip mongers.

Advice to Management

Consider recruiting better and also proper train your new hires.

11. Used to have a great culture, becoming more nervous

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digi International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting products, some very good engineers, used to have a fantastic corporate culture and the dregs of it are still around - holiday dinners, a ham at christmas, separate vacation and sick time.

Cons

There seems to be more of a focus on appearances lately rather than work quality and output. The execs have really tightened the reins in the past couple of years.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have more in-company mobility and cross-training.