Digi-Key Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
3.5

Digi-Key CEO Ronald Stordahl
Ronald Stordahl

This is an incredible employer. Kicking myself for not coming here sooner.

Current Employee - Production Business Sale Associate  in  Thief River Falls, MN
    Current Employee - Production Business Sale Associate in Thief River Falls, MN

I have been working at Digi-Key full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company not only provides competative wages, fantastic insurance, and loads of other benefits, but they also want to make sure you are working and doing what you love. The have also implimented a benefits program for child care to help those working later shifts.

Cons

Parking can be a challenge at work, and there is currently a housing shortage. Digi-Key is involved in trying to help the community in it's housing development.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Thief River Falls, MN
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Thief River Falls, MN

I have been working at Digi-Key full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits are amazing. The pay for technical staff is good for the area and the profit sharing/401k is nice. I like my job and the people are great to work with and there isn't too much pressure from management.

Cons

No performance reviews, everyone gets the same raise.every year. The fairness topic is taken way to far. Sometimes people need to hear that life isn't fair. Also, if you aspire to upper management, you better come from outside. No one has been promoted to upper management in many years, they all come from outside now.

Performance reviews would be incentive for people to work harder than enough to not get fired. And I believe that there are at least a few people in the rank and file who would make good upper managers. Otherwise it's a great place to work.

Great benefits, but in a very rural setting

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative  in  Thief River Falls, MN
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Thief River Falls, MN

I worked at Digi-Key full-time for more than a year

Pros

Extensive training, so you know exactly what's expected when you get on the sales floor
    Supervisors are very helpful when you have questions
    Health insurance and other benefits are spectacular
    Break rooms are nice, and the building/parking lot are kept very clean

Cons

Not much vacation time (1 wk pd vacation in the 1st year)
    Outside of work, there's not much to to in Thief River Falls, and the nearest city (Grand Forks) is over an hour away.
    Depending on what department you're in, it can be hard to get time off, but I never had a problem in my department.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you can handle the mind games the benefits are awesome

Current Employee - Order Fulfillment  in  Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Order Fulfillment in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Digi-Key full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, and pay are good for the area

Cons

Poor management, you get written up before you break policy, policy and procedures are hit and miss meaning some you are told to follow and others don't seem to matter. Management is unprofessional, pick favorites, tend to have certain cliques as in high school

Hire experienced management or train the supervisors in the correct way to handle all situations, makes sure management is based on experience not who your friends are.

Middle of No Where

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Thief River Falls, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Thief River Falls, MN

I have been working at Digi-Key full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Minnesota nice personalities, relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Very poor geographical location, especially for those straight out of college or without a family. Salary is determined by seniority for the most part. Many people do not have the technical abilities to perform their job and as a result, simply get shifted to other projects and burdens the entire team/project. Good developers move on, leaving only poor ones to milk the system.

Hire qualified individuals (rather than promoting random people into IT), perform technical assessment upon hiring (and for those currently employed), change the mentality of the Bloomington office and allow more of IT to exist remotely.

Great place to work and be.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Thief River Falls, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Thief River Falls, MN

I have been working at Digi-Key full-time for more than a year

Pros

For a lot of people it's a con, but the location is great. I'm originally from a heavily populated area and I absolutely dread going to the big city and dealing with traffic and breathing in the polluted air. This city has one of the best expected life expectancies and a very low crime rate. Pay and benefits are top of the line here, even as a line worker, you're making more money with full benefits. One of the most profitable and grossing companies.

Cons

No work out facility, you'll see that a high portion of the company is overweight and even though this is something that needs to be taken care of by the individual, the company itself isn't doing a whole lot to make their employees healthier.

Get an onsite cardiovascular room at the minimum, you have the money for it so just do it! Also give out bonuses based on performance and not on time spent here.

Has a Great environment and benefits!

I have been working at Digi-Key full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing benefits, Great pay! Annual raises! Always new opportunities with in the company. Awesome break areas. Flexible hours. Great training.Several perks!

Cons

Strict time off rules. Takes a good person to get a job here. They have a severe weather policy for closing, but i have yet to see them close up and send people home for bad weather.

Decent work

I worked at Digi-Key

Pros

Health benefits and co-workers are great.

Cons

Location isn't ideal and housing is hard to find if you want to rent.

Good benefits; terrible management.

Former Employee - Production Business Sales Associate  in  Thief Rvr Fls, MN
    Former Employee - Production Business Sales Associate in Thief Rvr Fls, MN

I worked at Digi-Key full-time for more than a year

Pros

Digi Key offers fantastic health insurance.

Cons

This is a company where being part of a clique is the most important factor to your success and job satisfaction. If you don't have a certain "last name" your chances of advancing are slim. I worked in the Production Business Dept. and was absolutely disgusted with the incompetence, favoritism and dare I say sexism displayed by my supervisor. I am very sorry I wasted almost two years of my life working for this disingenuous company.

Make sure that your managers and HR department follow company guidelines. I gave a two weeks notice after I couldn't take the mistreatment any longer. Most people would've just walked out had they had my experience(s). I surpassed my sales goals by far and did everything that was asked of me. Yet, I wasn't even given the human decency of receiving an exit interview which is DK policy. Please consider treating all employees like human beings and stop having incompetent individuals in leadership roles simply because they are a part of the right clique.

Tale of 2 Cities

Current Employee - Product Distribution Center  in  Thief River Falls, MN
    Current Employee - Product Distribution Center in Thief River Falls, MN

I have been working at Digi-Key full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good. Daily posting for open jobs within. There is now a general "open door" policy.

Cons

There is no adequate housing. Great opportunity for a slum lord to take advantage of very desperate people who will put up with anything just to have a place to sleep.

The warehouse is a completely different environment than the sales/office/corporate area. They've just been through 2 years of mandatory OT with hardly a thank you. "If you don't like it there's the door" was actually heard, and many found the door. Never knowing when we'd be allowed to leave at night, some nights not given breaks. Imagine having a 15 minute break at 6 or 7 pm....then 11 pm rolls around, you can't call out on the phone system and are not allowed to have a cell phone out or you'll be reprimanded or worse. Seems like OT was used for inadequate staffing and back pay for all those months of missed breaks should have been considered.

The yearly raises average less than 3%, and that's for no tardiness or write-ups.

Very poor management due to not promoting from within. The inexperienced or less knowledgeable managers tend to rule by oppression, with unapproachable "my way or the highway" attitudes. There was actually a "no talking day". Supervisors are hired right out of high school to supervise people who have been there for 10 or 20 years, unable to explain new directions as they don't understand the job functions and don't bother to learn.

An employee can't have a day off without months of planning, not even to go to the doctor to use the amazing benefits that they are constantly told about. That's just in the warehouse though. Things are pretty good upstairs.

There hasn't been forced overtime for the last 2 or 3 weeks, they've been busing in people to work 4 day weeks at the same rate of pay as those who have stuck with them for years. The corporate and sales employees have come down to the warehouse to "help" too, the quotas were done away with so they could feel like they were doing their part, but a lot more isn't getting accomplished except better working conditions do to the word spreading and significant turnover..

Promote from within. Keep it simple. If a person is hired to manage people and they do not know how things work in a warehouse or they don't bother to learn their subordinate's job functions, they worn't be respected. There is very poor morale due to this glaring mistake.

Worked for Digi-Key? Contribute to the Community!