Digi-Key

Updated November 12, 2014
3.6

Digi-Key CEO Ronald Stordahl
Ronald Stordahl

You get back what you put in.

I have been working at Digi-Key full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked at Digi-Key for 13 years plus so I have seen the transition from Ronald to Mark and then delegation to numerous VP's. The transition at times has not been an easy one but we weathered and it has become fruitful. Yes we had some rocky points but that's usual with change. I have worked numerous departments before settling into the department I am in now so the opportunity for advancement is there if you want to work towards it. Thing is, you have to prove your worth. Not bashing reviews from former employees but, if you want something in life - go out and grab it. The advancement opportunities at Digi-Key are vast, and are growing every week but the caveat is- you have to want it and work towards it.
    As for the health insurance, Digi-Key has one of the best insurance plans in the nation. Where else can you insure a family for under $100 with no or minimal copay and prescriptions for pennies? Ronald has stood by his policy of not increasing our health insurance as costs have risen - and we thank him for that.
    During the mini recession when other companies were downsizing, Digi-Key stayed strong and kept the staff employed with downsizing only done through attrition. Not many companies can attest to that.
    Digi-Key is a wonderful place to work - if you are ambitious and as for the comments made regarding never getting promotions - well you have to WORK for those - just like ANY job.
    Regarding the comment about never getting time off - you have to remember Digi-Key is a customer based business. Departments have "BOOKS" for VACATION time so that staffing levels can be attained to provide the level of customer service and support that we have become known for. Plan your vacation time, put it in the book and bon voyage. For the comment about not getting time off for a sick kid - whatever. If your kid is sick you just call in to your supervisor. EVERYONE get's sick days or medical/personal days.
    Without going into details "your just a number" ok explain all the appreciation lunches, end of year functions and various events held throughout the year - at Digi-Key's expense???
    To the former employees, my guess is - you got out of Digi-Key what you put in and hence the bitterness.

Cons

It's cold in Northern Minnesota.
    We could have more inter department social events, at the moment it is very departmentalized (as with most large companies).
    Did I mention, it's cold in Northern Minnesota.

None, I like the direction our department is moving to and believe there are great things in store for Digi-Key and it's customers.
    There are SOME managers that were promoted from within and have minimalistic leadership skills. For those I would suggest further training.

PDC part time

Current Employee - PDC Picker in Thief River Falls, MN
    Current Employee - PDC Picker in Thief River Falls, MN

I have been working at Digi-Key part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Super friendly atmosphere. Great benefits. Management tries to listen to all complaints.

Cons

Repetitive and need to pay attention to counting small part a for long hours.

An interesting place...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thief River Falls, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thief River Falls, MN

I worked at Digi-Key full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay. Great healthcare benefits. Not expected to work real hard.

Cons

Without performance reviews or pay for performance, it all turns into a game of who is "in" and who it "out". It's like a bad high-school nightmare. Plus you are stranded on a social island at least 1 hour from any other place of significance, which leads to everyone knowing everyone else's business - for better or worse.

Implement HR systems that actually keep track of who is getting work done and who is not. Introduce just a little pay for performance.

a honest review for fm area people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Digi-Key full-time (less than an year)

Pros

benefits, pay, events - food and gifts, quiet for a warehouse place, easy to take time off if needed, supervisors are all new but good at getting you stuff you need

Cons

biggest problem with digi key is digi key. they need to figure out what the heck they are doing and come up with an ideas. the fargo location is smaller but these people from trf come down and try to tell you how to do your job - rude, bossy, dressed inappropriate and they change everything around and it makes things really bad without a clue to what is happening. supervisors try hard but don't know about changes because no one from trf tells them about it. it is the dumping ground, they send second hand equipment and messes down on trucks but freak out if you dont do everything perfect for them. dont get me wrong it is a good job but if ur looking for consistency this place is the opposite.

figure out what the heck you are doing because the farog location is hurting because of you. hoenstly the people that work here and management are all good, its a good group but we never see anyone from trf and when we do it's rude people who think they are better and act lke children or jeaous of the people that work in fargo.

This is an incredible employer. Kicking myself for not coming here sooner.

Current Employee - Production Business Sale Associate in Thief River Falls, MN
    Current Employee - Production Business Sale Associate in Thief River Falls, MN

I have been working at Digi-Key full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company not only provides competative wages, fantastic insurance, and loads of other benefits, but they also want to make sure you are working and doing what you love. The have also implimented a benefits program for child care to help those working later shifts.

Cons

Parking can be a challenge at work, and there is currently a housing shortage. Digi-Key is involved in trying to help the community in it's housing development.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Product Manager in Thief River Falls, MN
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Thief River Falls, MN

I have been working at Digi-Key full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing. The pay for technical staff is good for the area and the profit sharing/401k is nice. I like my job and the people are great to work with and there isn't too much pressure from management.

Cons

No performance reviews, everyone gets the same raise.every year. The fairness topic is taken way to far. Sometimes people need to hear that life isn't fair. Also, if you aspire to upper management, you better come from outside. No one has been promoted to upper management in many years, they all come from outside now.

Performance reviews would be incentive for people to work harder than enough to not get fired. And I believe that there are at least a few people in the rank and file who would make good upper managers. Otherwise it's a great place to work.

Great benefits, but in a very rural setting

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Thief River Falls, MN
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Thief River Falls, MN

I worked at Digi-Key full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Extensive training, so you know exactly what's expected when you get on the sales floor
    Supervisors are very helpful when you have questions
    Health insurance and other benefits are spectacular
    Break rooms are nice, and the building/parking lot are kept very clean

Cons

Not much vacation time (1 wk pd vacation in the 1st year)
    Outside of work, there's not much to to in Thief River Falls, and the nearest city (Grand Forks) is over an hour away.
    Depending on what department you're in, it can be hard to get time off, but I never had a problem in my department.

If you can handle the mind games the benefits are awesome

Current Employee - Order Fulfillment in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Order Fulfillment in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Digi-Key full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, and pay are good for the area

Cons

Poor management, you get written up before you break policy, policy and procedures are hit and miss meaning some you are told to follow and others don't seem to matter. Management is unprofessional, pick favorites, tend to have certain cliques as in high school

Hire experienced management or train the supervisors in the correct way to handle all situations, makes sure management is based on experience not who your friends are.

Middle of No Where

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Thief River Falls, MN

I have been working at Digi-Key full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Minnesota nice personalities, relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Very poor geographical location, especially for those straight out of college or without a family. Salary is determined by seniority for the most part. Many people do not have the technical abilities to perform their job and as a result, simply get shifted to other projects and burdens the entire team/project. Good developers move on, leaving only poor ones to milk the system.

Hire qualified individuals (rather than promoting random people into IT), perform technical assessment upon hiring (and for those currently employed), change the mentality of the Bloomington office and allow more of IT to exist remotely.

Great place to work and be.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Thief River Falls, MN

I have been working at Digi-Key full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For a lot of people it's a con, but the location is great. I'm originally from a heavily populated area and I absolutely dread going to the big city and dealing with traffic and breathing in the polluted air. This city has one of the best expected life expectancies and a very low crime rate. Pay and benefits are top of the line here, even as a line worker, you're making more money with full benefits. One of the most profitable and grossing companies.

Cons

No work out facility, you'll see that a high portion of the company is overweight and even though this is something that needs to be taken care of by the individual, the company itself isn't doing a whole lot to make their employees healthier.

Get an onsite cardiovascular room at the minimum, you have the money for it so just do it! Also give out bonuses based on performance and not on time spent here.