Digi-Key

Be The First To
Add Photos

Digi-Key CEO Ronald Stordahl

Ronald Stordahl

Great place to work with really nice people!

Software Engineer/Developer (Current Employee)
    Thief River Falls, MN

ProsCompensation is really great when you consider the cost of living. Also the health care you get is unbeatable. Everyone is extremely friendly. Very easy to take time off!

ConsThe only thing I can think of is the only reason I left, the location. I am from a small town so it really wasn't that bad for me, but my wife needed more things to do!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing great!

This place sucks

Former Manager (Current Employee)

ProsHealth benefits, Health Benefits and Health Benefits

ConsPeople are superficial, backstabbing rednecks. Small town with xenophobic small minds. They don't listen to good advice and punish you for disagreeing. Good old boy mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuy a clue! Treat people better

The best Job I have ever had.

Electronic Technician (Current Employee)
    Thief River Falls, MN

ProsCompared to other jobs in my field the pay is VERY competitive.

The benefit package cannot be matched. I have worked here for over three years and have not received one medical bill for anything but emergency room visits ($75/Visit) and prescriptions($10). This costs me less than $30 dollars every two weeks. They have the best Delta Dental that is offered. They offer 401K matching up to 3% and the contribute more in the form of profit sharing that is usually around 4%! There are the standard six paid holidays. That is if you take the day off, BUT if you volunteer to work they will pay you triple time! Double time for the hours worked and single pay for the holiday. They even give you the option to bank the holiday hours as vacation to use at a later date. On top of this, they offer a flex account, life insurance, long term disability insurance, relocation assistance and Education Cost Reimbursement. As far as time off goes, they offer two weeks paid vacation that goes up to three after 5 years and two weeks personal/medical time that is unpaid. Depending on the department you can find special shifts that will work 10 or 12 hour days but for only three or four days a week. Finally there is the employee discount; 10% over cost. As a technician that is absolutely a dream come true.

As mentioned in other posts, they do have on site catering from 4 different vendors. Pizza Hut, The Black Cat, Evergreen Catering, and the Wired Bean. The lunch rooms are large and comfortable with vending machines, refrigerators, microwaves, sinks, ATM's, and free coffee. They even have a blood pressure machine available.
    My co-workers are awesome. I have never worked with people who are so like minded, open minded, and so much fun. I can honestly say that I enjoy working with them and have forged some meaningful friendships.

Going into technical support, I was relieved to find an extensive training process that lasted about two months to prepare me for the job. It was fantastic to know I was not just thrown to the wolves, so to speak, like so many other jobs I have held. Regarding advancement, I have seen people come into the department and within a few months go on to advanced positions. Depending on whether you are interested in getting down and dirty technical, doing more with the business side of things, or interested in leadership roles, there are never a shortage of positions to be filled.

If becoming and electronic technician is something that you have wanted to do this is a fantastic way to go. Digi-key has a program available for employees from other departments that lets them work while they attend the local college to obtain their electronics degree. Coming from a guy that has student loans to pay off, I wish I had know this before!

I really have no interest in leaving. I am very happy and content with my job.

ConsThe cons have less to do with Digikey and more to do with the City of TRF. I am not happy with most of the services available here. I am not happy with the housing situation. It can be very challenging to find a place to live especially if you have a family or pets. It is a little frustrating that it is an hour drive to find Best Buy, Target, Olive Garden, etc. I have learned to come to terms with it and usually make the drive once every six weeks or so and that makes it not so bad. It just takes a little planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have read some of the reviews here, I am not blind to some of the negativity and understand that there could be huge differences depending on the department one works in. I can only tell my story from my perspective. I already know that there have been many steps taken to rectify the management situation, especially in the warehouse. I have also heard stories of people who have applied but cannot get hired and they do not know why as there is nothing in their personal history that should stop them. Again hopefully that is rectified with newer management in human resources. Maybe some more investigation of what is actually going on there needs to happen. Digi-key has been so awesome for so long and has grown so fast that it was going to experience growing pains. I honestly feel that is what all of this is. My recommendation is to reach out to the public and ask for some of those talented people who have worked here in the past to return. Lets ask those that have had troubles getting hired in the past to try again. Almost all of the complaints from others can be solved with an adequate work force and reinforcement of a culture that will allow open, honest communication between all employees and management.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work if you can stand living in the middle of nowhere.

Software Engineer/Developer (Former Employee)
    Thief River Falls, MN

ProsVery smart and helpful people to work with. Some positions can be dynamic with many different things to do during the day. Laid back environment with very competitive pay for the area. Seemed like it had many ways to advance your career.

ConsHR seemed like a dictatorship. Depending on where you worked, tardiness could be immediate grounds for dismissal. Company is in the middle of nowhere in northern Minnesota.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy experience with the management was very positive. My managers went out of their way to help their employees and listened to your ideas and concerns.

Great place to work Horrible place to live

Software Engineer/Developer (Former Employee)
    Thief River Falls, MN

ProsLaid back atmosphere, can go to work early and leave early. Takes good care of the IT department. Very flexible with time off. Great work/life balance. Pay is good and benefits are great.

ConsThe location. Its in the middle of nowhere and that is why me and my family left. It would be great if digikey opened up a place in a city, we would go back to work there in a heartbeat.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider opening up a Digikey in a city. You have a great work environment and I had a great time working here. Best place I have ever worked, but since I started a family, our needs changed and the location matters more to us now than the pay. Thanks for taking good care of your coworkers, much appreciated.

Like a long, plain, occasionally iffy marriage

Thief River Falls, MN

ProsDigi-Key health care insurance offerings.
    They match 401(K) contributions.
    They distribute profit sharing, at differing percentages, to your 401(K) (has been yearly, but not guaranteed).
    High job availability for low skill work.

ConsBiggest con is location of the company. Small town of 8,500, little to no entertainment without driving 1 hr away. Insufficient daycare facilities, other than home based daycare providers (which may provide a good safe environment or they may just sit your kids in front of the Most likely you will not move up in the company. It is hard/discouraged to switch departments if you decide you would like to change job functions. For employees working the low skill jobs, mandatory overtime, as late as 10:30 nightly; this is coupled with high pressure, high quality, high output expectations.
    Prey you get a manager who will work for you, not against.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should look to there peers and see what is working for them in regards to subordinate's morale. If you find that another manager's group as higher morale, find out what they are doing differently. Morale can be hard to judge, but usually it is written on people's faces.

bad management means bad morale

Picker (Former Employee)
    Thief River Falls, MN

Prosgreat medical insurance and fun people

ConsIn the PDC the management does not care about the workers. the pickers are not judged by the quality of the work they do but the speed that they do it in. managers seem to go on "witch" hunts looking for someone to fire. this especially true if you have been there a while. even though your manager may not know how to do your job they will make it a point to tell you, you don't. the company used to claim to be a family oriented company, nut they are so far from it. they hire people who don't have any clue what it means to take pride in what they do. they don't hire the ones that they should, the ones that actually have a work ethic and can hold a job for longer that 6 months. managers need to place blame somewhere for the screw ups they have done so they place the blame on the ones following they instructions. the more a person gets in trouble for something that is not completely their fault the more frustrated a person gets. the workers are not rewarded for their hard work. if they do by some miracle they do get recognized it is just words that they get.

getting time off is impossible. you have to make plans a year in advance. they like to team up the hard working with the lazy and unmotivated. that just equals one happy employee since they don't have to work. and one really upset one that does all the work.

moving up once you are in the PDC is impossible. they say they like to hire within. almost all of the management is not within. it is not because there is not qualified employees. in fact there are some employees in the PDC that know WAY more than the ones with the degree. degrees don't mean you know how that specific company works. supervisors go on huge power trips and have been known to make their reps cry.

Advice to Senior Managementhiring more management is not the answer to the problems. get rid of all the extra management and ask the workers what improvements could be done. there are alot of smart people that work for you and you could be surprised. i would love for Mark Larson put someone in the PDC without them knowing and let him know what is actually going on and how people are treated

Excellent place to work!

IT Department (Current Employee)
    Thief River Falls, MN

ProsCompetitive wages, excellent health benefits, friendly co-workers. This is a growing business that will continue to grow and be competitive in the next several years.

ConsCould have better/more vacation and paid sick leave. Also, the people in the warehouse are not treated as well as those in the office area. Not sure if upper management is aware of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter management is needed in the warehouse. Personnel management in the warehouse is not as well done as it is in the office areas.

Working at Digikey

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Insurance benefits for family

Conshave rotating shifts hard to share rides

Was running good until they hired the new PDC Manager

PDC Packager (Current Employee)
    Thief River Falls, MN

ProsGet 401k with 3% match even as part time like I am. Pay is about the best you can find for a part time job.

ConsWay too many.
    Supervisors have no idea what they are doing and rely on the manager to tell them what to do, even though she has no clue how to run the place.
    Dont expect to get out on time working the late shift. Seems we can never get orders done on time.
    Lazy people are left alone without any consequences while hard workers get worked harder to make up for the lazy people.
    Expect to put in 10 hour days.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the PDC manager as she has shown she is not fit to be running the place. Actually go around and see whats going on instead of sitting in your office.

Worked for Digi-Key? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Digi-Key reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Digi-Key CEO Ronald Stordahl. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Digi-Key employees.