Digi-Key

Be The First To
Add Photos

Digi-Key CEO Ronald Stordahl

Ronald Stordahl

Great place to work and be.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Thief River Falls, MN

ProsFor a lot of people it's a con, but the location is great. I'm originally from a heavily populated area and I absolutely dread going to the big city and dealing with traffic and breathing in the polluted air. This city has one of the best expected life expectancies and a very low crime rate. Pay and benefits are top of the line here, even as a line worker, you're making more money with full benefits. One of the most profitable and grossing companies.

ConsNo work out facility, you'll see that a high portion of the company is overweight and even though this is something that needs to be taken care of by the individual, the company itself isn't doing a whole lot to make their employees healthier.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet an onsite cardiovascular room at the minimum, you have the money for it so just do it! Also give out bonuses based on performance and not on time spent here.

Has a Great environment and benefits!

ProsAmazing benefits, Great pay! Annual raises! Always new opportunities with in the company. Awesome break areas. Flexible hours. Great training.Several perks!

ConsStrict time off rules. Takes a good person to get a job here. They have a severe weather policy for closing, but i have yet to see them close up and send people home for bad weather.

Decent work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHealth benefits and co-workers are great.

ConsLocation isn't ideal and housing is hard to find if you want to rent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tale of 2 Cities

Product Distribution Center (Current Employee) Thief River Falls, MN

ProsBenefits are good. Daily posting for open jobs within. There is now a general "open door" policy.

ConsThere is no adequate housing. Great opportunity for a slum lord to take advantage of very desperate people who will put up with anything just to have a place to sleep.

The warehouse is a completely different environment than the sales/office/corporate area. They've just been through 2 years of mandatory OT with hardly a thank you. "If you don't like it there's the door" was actually heard, and many found the door. Never knowing when we'd be allowed to leave at night, some nights not given breaks. Imagine having a 15 minute break at 6 or 7 pm....then 11 pm rolls around, you can't call out on the phone system and are not allowed to have a cell phone out or you'll be reprimanded or worse. Seems like OT was used for inadequate staffing and back pay for all those months of missed breaks should have been considered.

The yearly raises average less than 3%, and that's for no tardiness or write-ups.

Very poor management due to not promoting from within. The inexperienced or less knowledgeable managers tend to rule by oppression, with unapproachable "my way or the highway" attitudes. There was actually a "no talking day". Supervisors are hired right out of high school to supervise people who have been there for 10 or 20 years, unable to explain new directions as they don't understand the job functions and don't bother to learn.

An employee can't have a day off without months of planning, not even to go to the doctor to use the amazing benefits that they are constantly told about. That's just in the warehouse though. Things are pretty good upstairs.

There hasn't been forced overtime for the last 2 or 3 weeks, they've been busing in people to work 4 day weeks at the same rate of pay as those who have stuck with them for years. The corporate and sales employees have come down to the warehouse to "help" too, the quotas were done away with so they could feel like they were doing their part, but a lot more isn't getting accomplished except better working conditions do to the word spreading and significant turnover..

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within. Keep it simple. If a person is hired to manage people and they do not know how things work in a warehouse or they don't bother to learn their subordinate's job functions, they worn't be respected. There is very poor morale due to this glaring mistake.

Great place to work with really nice people!

Software Engineer/Developer (Current Employee) Thief River Falls, MN

ProsCompensation is really great when you consider the cost of living. Also the health care you get is unbeatable. Everyone is extremely friendly. Very easy to take time off!

ConsThe only thing I can think of is the only reason I left, the location. I am from a small town so it really wasn't that bad for me, but my wife needed more things to do!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing great!

This place sucks

Former Manager (Current Employee) Thief River Falls, MN

ProsHealth benefits, Health Benefits and Health Benefits

ConsPeople are superficial, backstabbing rednecks. Small town with xenophobic small minds. They don't listen to good advice and punish you for disagreeing. Good old boy mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuy a clue! Treat people better

The best Job I have ever had.

Electronic Technician (Current Employee) Thief River Falls, MN

ProsCompared to other jobs in my field the pay is VERY competitive.

The benefit package cannot be matched. I have worked here for over three years and have not received one medical bill for anything but emergency room visits ($75/Visit) and prescriptions($10). This costs me less than $30 dollars every two weeks. They have the best Delta Dental that is offered. They offer 401K matching up to 3% and the contribute more in the form of profit sharing that is usually around 4%! There are the standard six paid holidays. That is if you take the day off, BUT if you volunteer to work they will pay you triple time! Double time for the hours worked and single pay for the holiday. They even give you the option to bank the holiday hours as vacation to use at a later date. On top of this, they offer a flex account, life insurance, long term disability insurance, relocation assistance and Education Cost Reimbursement. As far as time off goes, they offer two weeks paid vacation that goes up to three after 5 years and two weeks personal/medical time that is unpaid. Depending on the department you can find special shifts that will work 10 or 12 hour days but for only three or four days a week. Finally there is the employee discount; 10% over cost. As a technician that is absolutely a dream come true.

As mentioned in other posts, they do have on site catering from 4 different vendors. Pizza Hut, The Black Cat, Evergreen Catering, and the Wired Bean. The lunch rooms are large and comfortable with vending machines, refrigerators, microwaves, sinks, ATM's, and free coffee. They even have a blood pressure machine available.
    My co-workers are awesome. I have never worked with people who are so like minded, open minded, and so much fun. I can honestly say that I enjoy working with them and have forged some meaningful friendships.

Going into technical support, I was relieved to find an extensive training process that lasted about two months to prepare me for the job. It was fantastic to know I was not just thrown to the wolves, so to speak, like so many other jobs I have held. Regarding advancement, I have seen people come into the department and within a few months go on to advanced positions. Depending on whether you are interested in getting down and dirty technical, doing more with the business side of things, or interested in leadership roles, there are never a shortage of positions to be filled.

If becoming and electronic technician is something that you have wanted to do this is a fantastic way to go. Digi-key has a program available for employees from other departments that lets them work while they attend the local college to obtain their electronics degree. Coming from a guy that has student loans to pay off, I wish I had know this before!

I really have no interest in leaving. I am very happy and content with my job.

ConsThe cons have less to do with Digikey and more to do with the City of TRF. I am not happy with most of the services available here. I am not happy with the housing situation. It can be very challenging to find a place to live especially if you have a family or pets. It is a little frustrating that it is an hour drive to find Best Buy, Target, Olive Garden, etc. I have learned to come to terms with it and usually make the drive once every six weeks or so and that makes it not so bad. It just takes a little planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have read some of the reviews here, I am not blind to some of the negativity and understand that there could be huge differences depending on the department one works in. I can only tell my story from my perspective. I already know that there have been many steps taken to rectify the management situation, especially in the warehouse. I have also heard stories of people who have applied but cannot get hired and they do not know why as there is nothing in their personal history that should stop them. Again hopefully that is rectified with newer management in human resources. Maybe some more investigation of what is actually going on there needs to happen. Digi-key has been so awesome for so long and has grown so fast that it was going to experience growing pains. I honestly feel that is what all of this is. My recommendation is to reach out to the public and ask for some of those talented people who have worked here in the past to return. Lets ask those that have had troubles getting hired in the past to try again. Almost all of the complaints from others can be solved with an adequate work force and reinforcement of a culture that will allow open, honest communication between all employees and management.

Great place to work if you can stand living in the middle of nowhere.

Software Engineer/Developer (Former Employee) Thief River Falls, MN

ProsVery smart and helpful people to work with. Some positions can be dynamic with many different things to do during the day. Laid back environment with very competitive pay for the area. Seemed like it had many ways to advance your career.

ConsHR seemed like a dictatorship. Depending on where you worked, tardiness could be immediate grounds for dismissal. Company is in the middle of nowhere in northern Minnesota.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy experience with the management was very positive. My managers went out of their way to help their employees and listened to your ideas and concerns.

Great place to work Horrible place to live

Software Engineer/Developer (Former Employee) Thief River Falls, MN

ProsLaid back atmosphere, can go to work early and leave early. Takes good care of the IT department. Very flexible with time off. Great work/life balance. Pay is good and benefits are great.

ConsThe location. Its in the middle of nowhere and that is why me and my family left. It would be great if digikey opened up a place in a city, we would go back to work there in a heartbeat.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider opening up a Digikey in a city. You have a great work environment and I had a great time working here. Best place I have ever worked, but since I started a family, our needs changed and the location matters more to us now than the pay. Thanks for taking good care of your coworkers, much appreciated.

Like a long, plain, occasionally iffy marriage

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Thief River Falls, MN

ProsDigi-Key health care insurance offerings.
    They match 401(K) contributions.
    They distribute profit sharing, at differing percentages, to your 401(K) (has been yearly, but not guaranteed).
    High job availability for low skill work.

ConsBiggest con is location of the company. Small town of 8,500, little to no entertainment without driving 1 hr away. Insufficient daycare facilities, other than home based daycare providers (which may provide a good safe environment or they may just sit your kids in front of the Most likely you will not move up in the company. It is hard/discouraged to switch departments if you decide you would like to change job functions. For employees working the low skill jobs, mandatory overtime, as late as 10:30 nightly; this is coupled with high pressure, high quality, high output expectations.
    Prey you get a manager who will work for you, not against.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should look to there peers and see what is working for them in regards to subordinate's morale. If you find that another manager's group as higher morale, find out what they are doing differently. Morale can be hard to judge, but usually it is written on people's faces.

Worked for Digi-Key? Contribute to the Community!