Digicon

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John J. Wu

Challenging work... Vision challenged.

Program Manager (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsGave me a great starting opportunity and allowed me to work upward quickly. Challenged myself and management to give me more responsibility. Worked out well. Clients and mid-level managers are fantastic.

ConsQuickly realized a glass ceiling from an ownership perspective. Quickly saw who runs the show.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to ideas from employees, and try to be more transparent about the health of projects and the company.

A once great company and a great place to work ...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsCEO very humble, compassionate, and approachable. Employee owned ESOP company - but the employee stock is non-voting (i.e tax shelter for CEO/Owner - you would do it too if you could!). Above average benefits and PTO. CEO encouraged and supported all employees to seek out training and educational opportunities. The variety of opportunities/projects allowed for excellent professional growth.

ConsAfter the ESOP cash-out the day-to-day operations were handed over to the HR manager, now the COO, who had no substantial business experience (P/L, BD, Sales, Presentation, etc). The above, combined with the last government shutdown and lack of sales, has crippled the company and eliminated most of the reasons to work there. Hopefully the CEO will return long enough to fix this hot wet mess!

Advice to Senior Management1) Move the COO back to HR where she was a great performer
    2) Bring back or higher a few experienced leaders for the c-suite
    3) Fix sales! (everyone knows what I mean)
    4) Remove the company's ability to delay, for years, the repurchasing of ESOP stock.

Just another stuffing company.

Computer Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsIt is just another stuffing company.

ConsThey dump you as soon as contract is over.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Former Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat Pay! Excellent benefit packages!

ConsMicro-managing, did not offer any training

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide Funding to train your staff

Chalk it up as a learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsAttracted some good PM's. President and CEO very humble and approachable.

ConsUpper management team of the most incompetent I have ever seen. Lots of infighting, especially between the executives. They were like children. Didn't hire the right technical people for the jobs when winning a contract. Then, they'd bring in a good PM to try to fix an already broken contract on the verge of being lost. This applied to more than one contract, including the largest one that comprised 25% of the company's total annual revenue. Upper management completely disconnected and did not care about the people performing the work on the contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to completely reinvent how they're leading this company. Otherwise, I do not predict a good future for Digicon.

Worked an average of 60 hour weeks, only to be thanked being laid off

Network Administrator (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsMy customers were wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed working with all my clients there. The pay was decent.

Cons1. 60 plus hour weeks were not unusual for my position.
    2. You are not valued as an employee.
    3. There is a good chance of being terminated if you are not within their inner circle.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously, why bother?

The average recruiter company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTheir office is in VA and employees are scattered out throughout the US. It is an employee owned company and as long as your employeed there....

ConsThe motto was: "If you're Digicon, you're Digicon for life!" The truth is: "You're employed as long as we can find you a contract spot."

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy bother with advice?

Decent place to work for entry level employment.

Administrative Support Coordinator (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsFriendly and professional staff and management.

ConsLittle room for advancement.
    Salary is not competitive compared to similar positions in the area.

Worse company I've ever worked for

Network Administrator (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsNone really other than a salary

ConsPoor management. No communications. No guidance. No feedback

Advice to Senior ManagementNot at this time.. Pointless

A great example of possibly the worst professional environment ever

Program Manager (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsIt is hard, honestly, to write anything positive about them. As a senior manager with program level oversight, I wish I could write better things - I honestly do. But for whatever reason, they have around since a long time, and may be doing some things right to stay in business, which may not be very apparent to some of us. So, that is a positive, is it not??

Cons1. The proposal writers promise everything they can to be able to win a proposal, so much so that execution teams stand virtually no chance of completing what is written there.
    2. The program/project managers have no executive support on any aspect of stakeholder management
    3. They have no capture management / strategic programs mechanism to help program management operators leverage company assets to further work performance
    4. They have an executive review for program and project managers, where the movers and shakers comes in to virtually sleep through a presentation, and then comes back a week later, asking the same questions of the managers that they heard as explicitly expressed concerns during that presentation.
    5. Their claim of employee ownership is nothing but a sick joke.
    6. Job security? Well, someone needs to tell them what that means in plain English.

Advice to Senior ManagementPopulate your executive circles with competent folks that would care about the many professionals working for you. Have an accountability mechanism that would promote performance. And find a way to retain your good technical managers. The executives may not find other positions and may stick to you forever, but the folks below them are competent and professional enough to find other openings, both in terms of personal and professional gratification.

Worked for Digicon? Contribute to the Community!