Digital Foundry Reviews

Brad Stauffer

1. Good place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Digital Foundry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of new technologies in use. Tons of super smart people that can show you the ropes. The people are friendly and the work environment is pretty low stress most of the time.

Cons

The pay is definitely lower than competitive. As with all tech jobs, working hard is expected, but occasionally the expected workload is unrealistic.

Advice to Management

respect everyone

2. Horrible waste of a career

I worked at Digital Foundry

Pros

A few smart engineers. And a few nice people.

Cons

The problem with Digital Foundry is unfixable. Upper management and the consulting / sales team will cut corners, manipulate and will make scapegoat of others to better their own agendas: money. Creating dependencies on clients where no value is being added is wasteful, deceitful and immoral.

Upper management openly admits that the role of the consultant is to convince potential clients that Digital Foundry's subpar software production is better than its competitors.

Lazy, manipulative, out dated, irresponsible bullies make up a layer of misdirected leadership who's main purpose is to confuse clients and those who work under them. By shifting blame internally and creating chaos externally (for the client), Digital Foundry has found a way to have their cake and eat it too.

If you plan to work with software in any capacity I urge you to look past Digital Foundry's outdated and isolated offices in Tiburon and focus where real innovation is taking place; San Francisco and Silicone Valley.

Digital Foundry is not a company, it's a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Stop being lazy. Start making good software.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tiburon, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tiburon, CA

I worked at Digital Foundry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn a lot of technologies and work with some cool people. At the time, they were focused on projects using full Microsoft stack (.NET, SQL Server, C#, IIS) as well as web front end (HTML, CSS, JS). Some Java and mobile projects too.

Cons

Pay was horrible. I hear they have improved a lot, but at the time it was criminally low. Hours are not flexible. One time an employee had to work late the night before for a deployment and had to use vacation time to come in late another day. Not many perks compared to other tech companies (free food, snacks, games, outings, etc.) No real flexibility to work from home or adjust your hours. Working late or extra hours was not appreciated. No rewards or additional bonuses even though all that extra time was being charged to the client and the company was making lots of money on it.

Excellent Opportunity to work on interesting projects and with new techology.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tiburon, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tiburon, CA

I have been working at Digital Foundry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Newest Technology
    - Great Atmosphere
    - Interesting Projects
    -Excellent Location

Cons

- Occasional Late night but almost never happens

Overworked, under appreciated and too much politics.

I worked at Digital Foundry full-time

Pros

Work on some big projects and surrounded by smart people.

Cons

-You are micro-managed, they expected you to be in before 9am, but if you are even 5 minutes late you have to count it towards your PTO
    -Hawaii Trip was only for people that worked on billable projects, if you weren't on a billable project then you weren't going
    -Upper managements doesn't take accountability when things go wrong, they always place the blame on people below them
    -Work life balance is awful here, you are overworked; in addition, paid very little here

7. Great place to work and learn.

I have been working at Digital Foundry

Pros

Digital Foundry provides a great work atmosphere balancing exciting software development projects with a first rate location on the water in Tiburon. The company makes it a practice of promoting from within and management is very active in day to day operations. The opportunity to work with global companies provides travel opportunities to those with the right skill sets.

Cons

At just over 50 people, the company is on the small size. I wish there were better lunch opportunities within walking distance of the office.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to and learn from employees. There is a wealth of talent within the company.

8. Positive, fast paced environment with an all for one and one for all energy.

Current Employee - Consultant in Tiburon, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Tiburon, CA

I have been working at Digital Foundry

Pros

I love working at DF for a number of reasons. The senior leadership is extremely engaged in the day to day operations of all projects and there is a high level of organizational transparency to all employees. The annual company meeting is in Hawaii and professional success is rewarded with pay and responsibility increases. Annual bonuses are a great benefit and prove to be a significant part of the compensation package. There is a great amount of project variation and all employees get the opportunity to be exposed to many different clients, projects and technologies.

Cons

The organization is small, about 50 people, so it lacks a rigid professional development track and proper employee titles. Sometimes it seems hard to summarize what you do at DF since everyone ends up wearing so many hats.

Advice to Management

Keep fostering the young talent. The business is growing quickly and we need to be ready to grow with it or we will undoubtedly leave good opportunities on the table.

9. A great place to learn and grow.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tiburon, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tiburon, CA

I have been working at Digital Foundry

Pros

DF is a mid-sized company with a good career growth track for a person who is willing to take responsibility for their career. We work in a great location and have access to the best tools for the job. Employees here are smart and motivated to do good work. The development teams work in small groups, but have their own space. Collaboration is encouraged, but pairing is not forced. Managers are available to provide feedback, but don’t have the time or motivation to micro-manage.

Cons

We work business hours and expect members of the team to work business hours as well. When a team member is late or leaves early, the rest of the team has to pick up the slack. Working for an external client is hard, they expect that the work will be done timely and correctly. To do this you might have to work a few hours extra a month.

Advice to Management

It has always been possible to talk to any of the management team about a good idea, and know the idea will be listened to. Keep it up; it makes DF a great place to work.

I have grown a great deal with Digital Foundry, and the growth is good and continuous

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belvedere Tiburon, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belvedere Tiburon, CA

I have been working at Digital Foundry

Pros

I work here because we keep pace with new technologies, the people are great, and I love the variety of projects that I have worked on. If you want a place to learn some cool stuff, I mean valuable skills, this is the place. I want to point out that its not all about technology, its also about making a great delivery, a satisified customer. I like that we look to our teams to help us figure out how to make that happen. Great benefits.

Cons

Sometimes we need to catch up by working evenings/nights, but I have rarely had to work over the weekend to get a job done. If you're a fast learner and can get tasks done, you're going to do well here. Timelines do pose a challenge because we try hard to deliver on time for our customers. I have to point out, that this challenge is not unique to the Foundry, and I would have to disagree with posts I have seen about employees being overworked.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening to feedback, encourage feedback and innovation, and the trips to Hawaii have been a nice bonus - I love that we have been able to continue that despite the economic downturn!

Innovative projects and lots of opportunity for those who want to work hard and have a lot of fun.

I have been working at Digital Foundry

Pros

DF is a great place to work if you are looking for an opportunity to collaborate on some of the most innovative and relevant projects around the world. Both large brands and very agile startups. In addition, Digital Foundry provides one of the best work environments in the Bay Area and is full of great people.

Cons

Big and important projects can take away from personal time. Whether is travel or project work, the high profile of DF's projects and clients can cost nights and weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the people and keep supporting our ideas. Everyone has a voice and that should never change.

Digital Foundry Photos