Digital Media Academy Reviews

Updated March 22, 2015
19 reviews filtered by
3.8
Phil Gibson

1. Great Company to work for!

Former Employee - Customer Service in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Digital Media Academy

Pros

Great coworkers and support. You have many different hats to wear which I love. Everyone supports everyone it truly is a family.

Cons

Seasonal work not year round.

Should have hired me ;)

2. DMA is a company of innovative, collaborative, and all-round top quality employees. Work hard, play hard!

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Digital Media Academy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Company culture is a fun, hard-working crowd
    - Good overall company management
    - Corporate caters lunch on Wednesdays :)
    - Responsibilities/opportunities increase if you work hard

Cons

- Occasionally required to stick around even after tasks completed
    - Communication between departments could be better

- Make sure deadlines are realistic, not just preferable

Very positive people, sometimes disorganized

Current Contractor - Lead Programming Instructor in Stanford, CA
    Current Contractor - Lead Programming Instructor in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Digital Media Academy as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic networking opportunities, fun experiences with students, and tons of flexibility.

Cons

Due to such huge growth, things are often disorganized. People who don't do their job don't get let go. Sometimes constructive feedback doesn't make it back to the decision makers (or the decision makers don't act on it)

A great learning experience!

Former Employee - Instructor in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Digital Media Academy

Pros

As a young adult, there was no better way to learn a lot and make a lot of money! Our class sizes were good and the experience was incredibly rewarding. As a 20 year old, I made $1350 a week to teach! What an opportunity!

Cons

Sometimes you had to do your own IT, but you don't end up complaining because of the pay. I feel like they would rather just pay their teachers more and have them handle the IT.

6. A good summer job (UT Austin Location)

Former Contractor - Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at Digital Media Academy as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

* Great pay
    * Intresting work, and no two weeks were ever the same (In a good way). Helped things from ever becoming boring. Plus, if there was a class of students you didn't like to teach, the next week would offer new kids.
    * Onsite staff always had the teachers and TA's back. No matter the situation, they would personally work with us to make sure everything was being run well.
    * Anytime we had meetings, we would be given breakfast/dinner as well, which was always huge after a long day.
    * If you are a TA, your lunches are paid for. If you're a Teacher, your lunch period is a no-student zone.

Cons

* Staff issues. There was a situation with one of the teachers on site, and they shouldn't have ever been hired for the position they had. HR needs to better vet possible teachers on their ability to teach, not just if they know the material.
    * The online material that were supposed to be our lesson plans were terrible. Links would be dead, the information outdated, mandatory steps forgotten. This is the reason I can't give them 5 stars.
    * The corporate side could be slow to react when onsite staff tried to reach them. Luckily the camps are almost fully autonomous but it did make those rare exceptions more frustrating.

You need to focus on the online material teachers should be teaching. Last year they were extremely poor. If felt like multiple different people worked on them without ever consulting one another. Either give it to one person who writes and creates the material and updates it consistently, or give it to a group who all work together. When hiring, make sure the people are able to teach if they're to be teachers. TAing isn't as high paying or as glamorous, but giving the context of a summer job its still fantastic; if someone isn't ready to be a teacher they should be a TA instead.

7. It was a little hectic the first week but everything seemed to fall in place afterwards.

Former Intern - Teaching Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Teaching Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Digital Media Academy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good food and good communication between all the staff.

Cons

The students aren't always the best

8. Had fun working with the company.

Former Intern - TA in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - TA in Chicago, IL

I worked at Digital Media Academy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, the work-pace is very fun/fast.

Cons

Classroom can be cramped, might be placed to help teach a different class than the one assigned.

For classroom environment, less class sizes per teacher would encourage better learning environment.

9. As an employee they support you

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Digital Media Academy as a contractor

Pros

The staff, the other directors, the regional directors...they are FANTASTIC. Supportive, helpful, thoughtful, just really great people to work with and for.

Cons

The course descriptions are way off. Parents pay high fees so their kids can attend based off of the over-hyped advertisements but then courses get crammed together, subjects don't get covered, etc. It's misleading and the corporate staff is aware of this but they defend it because the descriptions are "technically" true. Misleading and deceptive though. It puts on-site staff in a really bad position because we then have to defend the program to irate parents and kids even though we know it's wrong. Also a bit disorganized.

Be more honest with your advertising and transparent about how the courses are run and what is offered. Especially with the fees being so high.

10. A great group of staff and students make this job worth doing.

Current Contractor - Instructor
    Current Contractor - Instructor

I have been working at Digital Media Academy as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

-You'll meet a variety of interesting, creative people among the staff.
    -The students are excited to come to class and learn.
    -The training is comprehensive, and the campus directors were always helpful whenever trouble arises.

Cons

-There's a disconnect between corporate management and the operational staff you'll be working with.
    -Some course descriptions are poorly written; some students go "That's what this class is?" on the first day.

Parking permits need to be provided for all employees. We would really appreciate it!

11. Challenging but worthwhile

Former Contractor - Teaching Assistant/Instructor in Cambridge, MA
    Former Contractor - Teaching Assistant/Instructor in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Digital Media Academy as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

DMA typically hires young adults and college students looking to make a little cash over the summer. It pays fairly well, equal to or better than most internships. I started at $450 a week as a Teaching Assistant and ended up making $900 a week as an Instructor after a couple years there. Pay seems to depend on the class and your level of experience. The location staff is always fantastic. They're smart, friendly, creative, and know what they're doing.

Cons

There is a lot of disorganization and unexpected challenges. You'll get thrown into classes you've never taught before, curricula won't be appropriate for the age and experience level of the students, the camp will be completely overbooked, etc. It can become very stressful, but it also keeps you thinking on your feet, which makes it a great learning experience for you, not just the kids!

Be a little more aware of what the location staff has to deal with. For example, overbooking the camp when we only have so much classroom space and so many staff members is probably a bad idea.

Digital Media Academy Photos

Adventures (Ages 8-12) class learning game design
Teen Filmmaking Class
Having fun at water games

+ Add Photo