Digital Media Academy Reviews

1. DMA is great

Former Intern - Teaching Assistant in Harvard, MA
    Former Intern - Teaching Assistant in Harvard, MA

I worked at Digital Media Academy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The compensation is good. It's in a very informal setting, making it easier to know your workmates better. Great place to build friendships.

Cons

Dealing with kids tiresome. I wouldn't say it's a great place for professional development if your eventual goal is to work in industry. If you're a teaching assitant, you're basically a baby-sitter. Half of the work you'll do isn't pertinent to your academic field - you'll mostly make sure none of the kids gets lost, coordinate games during break etc

The management is great and appreciates its employees.

2. A good summer job (UT Austin Location)

Former Contractor - Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at Digital Media Academy as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

* Great pay
    * Intresting work, and no two weeks were ever the same (In a good way). Helped things from ever becoming boring. Plus, if there was a class of students you didn't like to teach, the next week would offer new kids.
    * Onsite staff always had the teachers and TA's back. No matter the situation, they would personally work with us to make sure everything was being run well.
    * Anytime we had meetings, we would be given breakfast/dinner as well, which was always huge after a long day.
    * If you are a TA, your lunches are paid for. If you're a Teacher, your lunch period is a no-student zone.

Cons

* Staff issues. There was a situation with one of the teachers on site, and they shouldn't have ever been hired for the position they had. HR needs to better vet possible teachers on their ability to teach, not just if they know the material.
    * The online material that were supposed to be our lesson plans were terrible. Links would be dead, the information outdated, mandatory steps forgotten. This is the reason I can't give them 5 stars.
    * The corporate side could be slow to react when onsite staff tried to reach them. Luckily the camps are almost fully autonomous but it did make those rare exceptions more frustrating.

You need to focus on the online material teachers should be teaching. Last year they were extremely poor. If felt like multiple different people worked on them without ever consulting one another. Either give it to one person who writes and creates the material and updates it consistently, or give it to a group who all work together. When hiring, make sure the people are able to teach if they're to be teachers. TAing isn't as high paying or as glamorous, but giving the context of a summer job its still fantastic; if someone isn't ready to be a teacher they should be a TA instead.

3. It was a little hectic the first week but everything seemed to fall in place afterwards.

Former Intern - Teaching Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Teaching Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Digital Media Academy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good food and good communication between all the staff.

Cons

The students aren't always the best

5. Had fun working with the company.

Former Intern - TA in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - TA in Chicago, IL

I worked at Digital Media Academy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, the work-pace is very fun/fast.

Cons

Classroom can be cramped, might be placed to help teach a different class than the one assigned.

For classroom environment, less class sizes per teacher would encourage better learning environment.

6. Mixed bag

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Digital Media Academy full-time

Pros

Good company growth.
    Company culture is decent.
    Many good people here

Cons

People in management that shouldn't be.
    Communication from upper management is poor.
    Not much appreciation for employees that work hardest.

Improve HR and IT functions internally.
    More accountability for managers

7. Great Company to work for!

Former Employee - Customer Service in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Digital Media Academy

Pros

Great coworkers and support. You have many different hats to wear which I love. Everyone supports everyone it truly is a family.

Cons

Seasonal work not year round.

Should have hired me ;)

8. DMA is a company of innovative, collaborative, and all-round top quality employees. Work hard, play hard!

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Digital Media Academy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Company culture is a fun, hard-working crowd
    - Good overall company management
    - Corporate caters lunch on Wednesdays :)
    - Responsibilities/opportunities increase if you work hard

Cons

- Occasionally required to stick around even after tasks completed
    - Communication between departments could be better

- Make sure deadlines are realistic, not just preferable

9. As an employee they support you

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Digital Media Academy as a contractor

Pros

The staff, the other directors, the regional directors...they are FANTASTIC. Supportive, helpful, thoughtful, just really great people to work with and for.

Cons

The course descriptions are way off. Parents pay high fees so their kids can attend based off of the over-hyped advertisements but then courses get crammed together, subjects don't get covered, etc. It's misleading and the corporate staff is aware of this but they defend it because the descriptions are "technically" true. Misleading and deceptive though. It puts on-site staff in a really bad position because we then have to defend the program to irate parents and kids even though we know it's wrong. Also a bit disorganized.

Be more honest with your advertising and transparent about how the courses are run and what is offered. Especially with the fees being so high.

10. A great group of staff and students make this job worth doing.

Current Contractor - Instructor
    Current Contractor - Instructor

I have been working at Digital Media Academy as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

-You'll meet a variety of interesting, creative people among the staff.
    -The students are excited to come to class and learn.
    -The training is comprehensive, and the campus directors were always helpful whenever trouble arises.

Cons

-There's a disconnect between corporate management and the operational staff you'll be working with.
    -Some course descriptions are poorly written; some students go "That's what this class is?" on the first day.

Parking permits need to be provided for all employees. We would really appreciate it!

A hard company to review

Current Contractor - Instructor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Contractor - Instructor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Digital Media Academy as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

DMA hires cool instructors and it's a great experience to network with like minded individuals. Pay is usually fair but you definitely have to negotiate for your own sake. Working at the campsites while sometimes stressful can be a lot of fun.

Cons

Corporate is a joke. They really need to get there stuff together. It's beyond me how anything guys done when there is such a disconnect between the instructional staff and the corporate side of business. Pay can range drastically and they will take advantage of you if you let them. I have seen a range of pay as instructor from $650-$1200 a week which seems hardly fair when your doing the same job.

Ur chain of command is in serious need of help. Start listening to your instructors and teaching staff instead of disregarding there requests. You are the ones in the office. We are the ones actually doing the teaching.

Digital Media Academy Photos

Adventures (Ages 8-12) class learning game design
Teen Filmmaking Class
Having fun at water games

+ Add Photo