Digital River

Updated August 7, 2014
2.7

Digital River CEO Dave Dobson
Dave Dobson

Pros
  • Beautiful office and good perks (massage, Beer Friday) (in 14 reviews)

• The company is very fast paced - full of energy and the best people I have had the pleasure to work alongside (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They will work you to the bone without any compassion to ones work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• It is extremely fast paced - so for some it could be challenging (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

58 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Laid back, easy place

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive compensation. Very friendly colleagues. Great manager. Great options to move between teams internally.

Cons

Confused management. Not the best bonus/benefits structure.

Make up your mind about a roadmap and stick to it.

We can't stop here this is bat country

Current Employee - Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Nice people
    * Somewhat flexible hours depending on what department you reside in
    * Small advancement opportunities
    * Travel opportunities depending on the department

Cons

* Senior management cares about senior management (could be a pro depending on what your applying for)
    * All these talks about fixing previous managements mistakes with vague terms and overly simplified flow charts that answer nothing and after two years have showed very little to no improvement.
    * Don't take a job in IT or a job that requires you to work with the IT group. They will kill your smile and soul with their poor attitudes.

Someone make a decision. Under previous leadership nothing got done because everything (and i'm not being facetious here) EVERYTHING had to be signed off by Joel. It seems nobody can make a decision with out it going up to CEO under the new management either and that shouldn't happen.

Really wanted it to be great but it isn't and likely never will be

Former Employee - Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beautiful campus and generally very nice co-workers. On site cafeteria is a nice perk as well.

Cons

Overall very poor leadership across the board. Technical leaders, sales and human resources leadership is substandard and limiting the company's growth and viability.

Leaders don't seem to understand eCommerce but pretend that they do. Leaders say one thing but it seems that the strategy and message doesn't flow down the chain. There is clearly a huge disconnect in the software engineering areas between the COO and the people who actually know the system which has led to some senior level turnover.

Absolutely terrible work/life balance. If you take a job there be prepared to work nights and weekends without any on call pay or comp time. Also expect to be paid less than you could get elsewhere but be told that somehow beer Friday and bring your dog to work day make up for it. It doesn't.

If you take a survey of your employee's opinions, don't pretend like you don't know the results. If people tell you that work/life balance needs attention don't set your goals to be quality, teamwork and communications.

Overwork with no passion for work life balance

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great exposure to a variety of technology clients.

Cons

The training is non existent to the role itself. They will work you to the bone without any compassion to ones work life balance. They pride themselves on beer Friday and the on site gym, but finding time to go to the gym is challenging with the workload and no one actually attends beer Friday. They also low ball so many of the employees here and you will hear several of the employees complaining at how they aren't paid enough for their work. They also are heavy in layoffs.

Focus on the ability to work life balance and overall satisfaction of your employees.

Great individual contributors led (managed) by an Executive Team without a vision and people skills

Current Employee - Product Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will hardly find a place with more e-commerce expertise. Good, some brilliant people who would do well in any other e-commerce company.
    Decent employee benefits. Beautiful office and good perks (massage, Beer Friday)
    The company used to have its own unique corporate culture with an executive team that understood the business but poorly executed the strategy.

Cons

Now they have an Executive Team that has no e-commerce expertise or background and as a result they don't have a vision and strategy. It actually seems to be their strategy to hang on and survive until somebody buys the company and maximize profitability in the meantime by laying off people every six to twelve months. The employee turnover must be around 20-25% per year. This means that every year 250-300 people walk out the door.

Create company values and create a new corporate culture together with the team and not behind closed doors. Articulate a vision and execute accordingly. Create an environment of stability. Fix HR and create an environment of trust.

Great Comapny

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They took good care of their people, while I worked there. The place had a good culture and great breakroom.

Cons

They had some low level managers who were kind of jerks. They would breath down your neck if you were on a call a littel long trying to hrlp a customer.

Since all teh calls are monitored, and you have a good handle on who your good performers are, don't bother them with the petty stuff,and let them do their job.

I'm appreciative for what I learned but I'm glad to be out

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

DR still has some of the brightest people in the Twin Cities and overall it is a nice team. The team has a lot of potential that a competent management team could unleash. Good food, good gym and other perks like massage. Helpful and friendly HR personnel but unfortunately most of them don't stay for very long - except from the SVP HR.

Cons

The company lost its culture after the founder left and the management should make it a focus and work with the team to create a positive culture. The staff turnover is significant because of the obligatory layoffs every six months and lack of focus, innovation and execution. The company is stagnant at best.

It's time to turn rhetoric into action. Stop promising everything under the sun about what you are going to do to turn things around. Just do it. Take feedback from employees (not executives) seriously and don't just pretend that you do.

Exceptional people - too bad we're all electronically leashed

Current Employee - Program Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Casual environment, fun, good amount of flexibility and overall everyone works closely with and gets along well with everyone. I have worked with some of the most brilliant, caring, funny and amazing people at DR. Many of whom have become important friends to keep in touch with when paths take different directions

Cons

Lack of work life balance and consistency across the organization. The team I am on gets a lot of flexibility with working remotely and the hours we work - but we also get worked really hard at times over weekends and during holidays (name of the game for ecom. though)

Create consistency across managers and up. We are an ecom company with an impressive list of achievements - allow employees across the board some flexibility with telecommuting. I get a lot of flexibility to do so because I report up to a segment of management that understands the majority of my responsibilities can be done anywhere internet is available. However the team one row over from me operates almost like a call center; everyone needs to be in the office and at their desk for a full 8 hr.

Solicit our feedback on things like the holiday party and all associates meeting. Its really hard for some of us to attend those functions with the days, times and locations of them in relation to our homes, typical work hours and family/personal life.

Work life balance and tools for the job.
    As a whole we work hard and accomplish some really great things for our partners, clients and each other. Yet it is almost impossible to get budget approval to attend a job related conference or learning opportunity and even harder to get a laptop upgrade regardless of team/department approval. Imagine what we could conquer if we had hardware with the dedication, focus and efficiency we have. Ease up on us a bit - many of us are running at 110% - seven days a week, week after week. Rarely able to truly have a day off, one where the electronic leash is not checked multiple times a day with the ability to be logged in and online at a moments notice. In the end we get pushed harder, expected to beat the impossible goal we just achieved, take on more responsibility, challenge ourselves, grow business, etc...without additional staff or support.

ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITY! What are the career path options of a DR employee? Do job descriptions or list of responsibilities by title/role exist? How does one get promoted? It's certainly not solely based on performance, peer review/recognition, dedication etc...

E-commerce in transition

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company rewards those who take the initiative to solve problems and improve operations. Fast paced environment willing to take risks in finding e-commerce solutions to complex international operations. Great opportunity to learn e-commerce through lunch and company seminars. Diverse and engaging company culture along with great beer Fridays.

Cons

The regular acquisition of companies created a diverse and complex, home grown, house of cards system. Various new systems were installed in an attempt to resolve the inconsistent data reporting, frustrating client experience, poor customer service and employee re-work.

We had a lot of fun growing a piece of the business; great people - tons of talent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great space - eCommerce; Great people - talented individuals who know how to work hard and have fun; Great opportunities for growth.

Cons

At the time, the challenges facing the company seemed to overwhelm them. As a result, it became a difficult place for people to thrive in confidence.

New management seems to have some of the right ideas for growing the company

Digital River Photos