Digital River

Digital River Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Digital River CEO Dave Dobson

Dave Dobson

Pros
  • Good place for Software Developers to work, Beer Friday, Dog day(in 13 reviews)

• The company is very fast paced - full of energy and the best people I have had the pleasure to work alongside(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of work life balance and consistency across the organization(in 4 reviews)

• It is extremely fast paced - so for some it could be challenging(in 6 reviews)

55 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Laid back, easy place

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsCompetitive compensation. Very friendly colleagues. Great manager. Great options to move between teams internally.

ConsConfused management. Not the best bonus/benefits structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake up your mind about a roadmap and stick to it.

Great individual contributors led (managed) by an Executive Team without a vision and people skills

Product Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsYou will hardly find a place with more e-commerce expertise. Good, some brilliant people who would do well in any other e-commerce company.
    Decent employee benefits. Beautiful office and good perks (massage, Beer Friday)
    The company used to have its own unique corporate culture with an executive team that understood the business but poorly executed the strategy.

ConsNow they have an Executive Team that has no e-commerce expertise or background and as a result they don't have a vision and strategy. It actually seems to be their strategy to hang on and survive until somebody buys the company and maximize profitability in the meantime by laying off people every six to twelve months. The employee turnover must be around 20-25% per year. This means that every year 250-300 people walk out the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate company values and create a new corporate culture together with the team and not behind closed doors. Articulate a vision and execute accordingly. Create an environment of stability. Fix HR and create an environment of trust.

Great Comapny

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsThey took good care of their people, while I worked there. The place had a good culture and great breakroom.

ConsThey had some low level managers who were kind of jerks. They would breath down your neck if you were on a call a littel long trying to hrlp a customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince all teh calls are monitored, and you have a good handle on who your good performers are, don't bother them with the petty stuff,and let them do their job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I'm appreciative for what I learned but I'm glad to be out

Project Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsDR still has some of the brightest people in the Twin Cities and overall it is a nice team. The team has a lot of potential that a competent management team could unleash. Good food, good gym and other perks like massage. Helpful and friendly HR personnel but unfortunately most of them don't stay for very long - except from the SVP HR.

ConsThe company lost its culture after the founder left and the management should make it a focus and work with the team to create a positive culture. The staff turnover is significant because of the obligatory layoffs every six months and lack of focus, innovation and execution. The company is stagnant at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to turn rhetoric into action. Stop promising everything under the sun about what you are going to do to turn things around. Just do it. Take feedback from employees (not executives) seriously and don't just pretend that you do.

Exceptional people - too bad we're all electronically leashed

Program Manager (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsCasual environment, fun, good amount of flexibility and overall everyone works closely with and gets along well with everyone. I have worked with some of the most brilliant, caring, funny and amazing people at DR. Many of whom have become important friends to keep in touch with when paths take different directions

ConsLack of work life balance and consistency across the organization. The team I am on gets a lot of flexibility with working remotely and the hours we work - but we also get worked really hard at times over weekends and during holidays (name of the game for ecom. though)

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate consistency across managers and up. We are an ecom company with an impressive list of achievements - allow employees across the board some flexibility with telecommuting. I get a lot of flexibility to do so because I report up to a segment of management that understands the majority of my responsibilities can be done anywhere internet is available. However the team one row over from me operates almost like a call center; everyone needs to be in the office and at their desk for a full 8 hr.

Solicit our feedback on things like the holiday party and all associates meeting. Its really hard for some of us to attend those functions with the days, times and locations of them in relation to our homes, typical work hours and family/personal life.

Work life balance and tools for the job.
    As a whole we work hard and accomplish some really great things for our partners, clients and each other. Yet it is almost impossible to get budget approval to attend a job related conference or learning opportunity and even harder to get a laptop upgrade regardless of team/department approval. Imagine what we could conquer if we had hardware with the dedication, focus and efficiency we have. Ease up on us a bit - many of us are running at 110% - seven days a week, week after week. Rarely able to truly have a day off, one where the electronic leash is not checked multiple times a day with the ability to be logged in and online at a moments notice. In the end we get pushed harder, expected to beat the impossible goal we just achieved, take on more responsibility, challenge ourselves, grow business, etc...without additional staff or support.

ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITY! What are the career path options of a DR employee? Do job descriptions or list of responsibilities by title/role exist? How does one get promoted? It's certainly not solely based on performance, peer review/recognition, dedication etc...

E-commerce in transition

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsCompany rewards those who take the initiative to solve problems and improve operations. Fast paced environment willing to take risks in finding e-commerce solutions to complex international operations. Great opportunity to learn e-commerce through lunch and company seminars. Diverse and engaging company culture along with great beer Fridays.

ConsThe regular acquisition of companies created a diverse and complex, home grown, house of cards system. Various new systems were installed in an attempt to resolve the inconsistent data reporting, frustrating client experience, poor customer service and employee re-work.

We had a lot of fun growing a piece of the business; great people - tons of talent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat space - eCommerce; Great people - talented individuals who know how to work hard and have fun; Great opportunities for growth.

ConsAt the time, the challenges facing the company seemed to overwhelm them. As a result, it became a difficult place for people to thrive in confidence.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew management seems to have some of the right ideas for growing the company

At first glance things look good

Sales (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsThere are some truly talented people that work at DR.

ConsNot sure if things will ever change even though we talk about the company evolving

Good Company overall

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsReasonable compensation. Company is still trying to maintain a liberal allowance for individuality.

ConsDecisions are often made toward progression and not often enough to stabilize current business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be a bit more conservative while looking at technological growth. Support your teams.

Account Manager

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN

Prosflexible in work life balance

Constoo flexible sometimes to where people take advantage

Advice to Senior ManagementBe concise

Worked for Digital River? Contribute to the Community!