Digital River

Digital River CEO Dave Dobson

Dave Dobson

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Laid back, easy place

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Minnetonka, MN

ProsCompetitive compensation. Very friendly colleagues. Great manager. Great options to move between teams internally.

ConsConfused management. Not the best bonus/benefits structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake up your mind about a roadmap and stick to it.

Exceptional people - too bad we're all electronically leashed

Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Minnetonka, MN

ProsCasual environment, fun, good amount of flexibility and overall everyone works closely with and gets along well with everyone. I have worked with some of the most brilliant, caring, funny and amazing people at DR. Many of whom have become important friends to keep in touch with when paths take different directions

ConsLack of work life balance and consistency across the organization. The team I am on gets a lot of flexibility with working remotely and the hours we work - but we also get worked really hard at times over weekends and during holidays (name of the game for ecom. though)

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate consistency across managers and up. We are an ecom company with an impressive list of achievements - allow employees across the board some flexibility with telecommuting. I get a lot of flexibility to do so because I report up to a segment of management that understands the majority of my responsibilities can be done anywhere internet is available. However the team one row over from me operates almost like a call center; everyone needs to be in the office and at their desk for a full 8 hr.

Solicit our feedback on things like the holiday party and all associates meeting. Its really hard for some of us to attend those functions with the days, times and locations of them in relation to our homes, typical work hours and family/personal life.

Work life balance and tools for the job.
    As a whole we work hard and accomplish some really great things for our partners, clients and each other. Yet it is almost impossible to get budget approval to attend a job related conference or learning opportunity and even harder to get a laptop upgrade regardless of team/department approval. Imagine what we could conquer if we had hardware with the dedication, focus and efficiency we have. Ease up on us a bit - many of us are running at 110% - seven days a week, week after week. Rarely able to truly have a day off, one where the electronic leash is not checked multiple times a day with the ability to be logged in and online at a moments notice. In the end we get pushed harder, expected to beat the impossible goal we just achieved, take on more responsibility, challenge ourselves, grow business, etc...without additional staff or support.

ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITY! What are the career path options of a DR employee? Do job descriptions or list of responsibilities by title/role exist? How does one get promoted? It's certainly not solely based on performance, peer review/recognition, dedication etc...

At first glance things look good

Sales (Current Employee)
    Minnetonka, MN

ProsThere are some truly talented people that work at DR.

ConsNot sure if things will ever change even though we talk about the company evolving

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company overall

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
    Minnetonka, MN

ProsReasonable compensation. Company is still trying to maintain a liberal allowance for individuality.

ConsDecisions are often made toward progression and not often enough to stabilize current business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be a bit more conservative while looking at technological growth. Support your teams.

Account Manager

Minnetonka, MN

Prosflexible in work life balance

Constoo flexible sometimes to where people take advantage

Advice to Senior ManagementBe concise

Nice colleagues, excellent culture!

Architect (Current Employee)
    Minnetonka, MN

ProsGreat technical leadership! Freedom to express yourself, Beer Friday's, Workout room, in-house cafeteria!

ConsHistorically C level management was only focused on quick ROI and short-term investments, which resulted in poor execution and client turnovers.

Advice to Senior ManagementFinally the new senior management have taken the right steps in the right direction. Please stay focused on execution, so that DR can have longer term benefits instead of short-term gains.

Fast paced and hypocritical management

Associate Director (Current Employee)
    Minnetonka, MN

ProsBeer Fridays and hopefully a new CEO. Several large clients support their entire business which could conversely be detrimental if lost.

ConsArrogant management who doesn't get it and is very one sided. If you disagree with them, no matter how professional you are about it, you are ostracized for your entire career there. There is a philosophy of not trying to make anything better because everyone is too worried about barely maintaining the current structure. Rather than take the time and do it right the first time, short cuts are taken and more time is spent after the fact to fix it. Major IT outage with no redundancy is proof of that. Top heavy management with too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

Advice to Senior ManagementWisen up and listen to those in the trenches - they are the ones who know best rather than the directors and VP's. Solicit everyone's opinion first before having a knee jerk reaction to a few who think they know but don't have a clue. You are losing good people because of this.

Great place to work!

ProsGreat people
    Cutting edge technology
    Workout facility
    Awesome facility
    Dog days
    Beer Friday
    Lots of exciting change taking place!

ConsVery fast past environment which is great, but not always for everyone.

Layoffs Layoffs and More Layoffs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Benefits, Beer Friday, Dog Day

ConsThe company does layoffs every year, you know its coming and the employees spend months worrying if they are next. Sometimes they even do multiple layoffs in a year. No job stability here.

Advice to Senior ManagementYearly layoffs is not a good business practice. If the company was operating effectively there wouldn't be a need to layoff employees. Because of the constant layoffs you loose good employees who don't feel secure in their job.

Drowning in the Digital River

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Minnetonka, MN

ProsGreat place to learn the e-commerce business
    Excellent client list with interesting products
    Happy hours on Fridays, new workout facility, nice working environment
    Competitive pay

ConsEmployees are overworked and understaffed
    Clients can be incredibly high maintenance
    High stress work environment
    Lack of innovation with their product
    No long term vision on how to stay relevant in the future

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff appropriately so clients receive the service that they expect
    Focus less on short term revenue and make long term investments into new technology and innovation
    Give employees a vision for where the company is going

Worked for Digital River? Contribute to the Community!

Digital River – Why Work for Us?

World class online commerce demands intensive resources. Global reach and local-market savvy. Cutting-edge infrastructure and time-tested experience. Revenue-driving marketing tools and clear, powerful thinking. Since… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Digital River reviews and ratings in Minnetonka, MN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Digital River CEO Dave Dobson. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Digital River employees.