Digital River

Updated October 30, 2014
2.8

Digital River CEO Dave Dobson
Dave Dobson

Pros
  • Beautiful office and good perks (massage, Beer Friday) (in 14 reviews)

• The atmosphere is very fast paced so there's typically never a dull moment (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They will work you to the bone without any compassion to ones work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• It is extremely fast paced - so for some it could be challenging (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good learning experience

Former Employee - Web Developer in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of great people employed at Digital River. I made a lot of friends and life-long connections. Digital River is face paced and you will learn a lot. There are pretty good company events/perks (though it was declining rapidly). It is a pretty laid back environment. The facility is really nice.

Cons

A lot of old-school developers still employed that have dismal coding practices.
    A lot of political BS
    Not a lot of advancement opportunities
    Very little incentive as far as raises, bonuses, etc.

I think the company needs an overhaul with leadership, strategy, etc. The products need an overhaul with fresh new technologies and clean code. The leadership hierarchy is way too deep, there are too many levels causing bottle necks in decision making.

Great place to work for

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work for. Very smart people to work with. Good work life balance.

Cons

Long term strategy for the company is not very clear, better transparency required.

We can't stop here this is bat country

Current Employee - Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Nice people
    * Somewhat flexible hours depending on what department you reside in
    * Small advancement opportunities
    * Travel opportunities depending on the department

Cons

* Senior management cares about senior management (could be a pro depending on what your applying for)
    * All these talks about fixing previous managements mistakes with vague terms and overly simplified flow charts that answer nothing and after two years have showed very little to no improvement.
    * Don't take a job in IT or a job that requires you to work with the IT group. They will kill your smile and soul with their poor attitudes.

Someone make a decision. Under previous leadership nothing got done because everything (and i'm not being facetious here) EVERYTHING had to be signed off by Joel. It seems nobody can make a decision with out it going up to CEO under the new management either and that shouldn't happen.

Really wanted it to be great but it isn't and likely never will be

Former Employee - Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beautiful campus and generally very nice co-workers. On site cafeteria is a nice perk as well.

Cons

Overall very poor leadership across the board. Technical leaders, sales and human resources leadership is substandard and limiting the company's growth and viability.

Leaders don't seem to understand eCommerce but pretend that they do. Leaders say one thing but it seems that the strategy and message doesn't flow down the chain. There is clearly a huge disconnect in the software engineering areas between the COO and the people who actually know the system which has led to some senior level turnover.

Absolutely terrible work/life balance. If you take a job there be prepared to work nights and weekends without any on call pay or comp time. Also expect to be paid less than you could get elsewhere but be told that somehow beer Friday and bring your dog to work day make up for it. It doesn't.

If you take a survey of your employee's opinions, don't pretend like you don't know the results. If people tell you that work/life balance needs attention don't set your goals to be quality, teamwork and communications.

Overwork with no passion for work life balance

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great exposure to a variety of technology clients.

Cons

The training is non existent to the role itself. They will work you to the bone without any compassion to ones work life balance. They pride themselves on beer Friday and the on site gym, but finding time to go to the gym is challenging with the workload and no one actually attends beer Friday. They also low ball so many of the employees here and you will hear several of the employees complaining at how they aren't paid enough for their work. They also are heavy in layoffs.

Focus on the ability to work life balance and overall satisfaction of your employees.

Laid back, easy place

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive compensation. Very friendly colleagues. Great manager. Great options to move between teams internally.

Cons

Confused management. Not the best bonus/benefits structure.

Make up your mind about a roadmap and stick to it.

Exceptional people - too bad we're all electronically leashed

Current Employee - Program Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Casual environment, fun, good amount of flexibility and overall everyone works closely with and gets along well with everyone. I have worked with some of the most brilliant, caring, funny and amazing people at DR. Many of whom have become important friends to keep in touch with when paths take different directions

Cons

Lack of work life balance and consistency across the organization. The team I am on gets a lot of flexibility with working remotely and the hours we work - but we also get worked really hard at times over weekends and during holidays (name of the game for ecom. though)

Create consistency across managers and up. We are an ecom company with an impressive list of achievements - allow employees across the board some flexibility with telecommuting. I get a lot of flexibility to do so because I report up to a segment of management that understands the majority of my responsibilities can be done anywhere internet is available. However the team one row over from me operates almost like a call center; everyone needs to be in the office and at their desk for a full 8 hr.

Solicit our feedback on things like the holiday party and all associates meeting. Its really hard for some of us to attend those functions with the days, times and locations of them in relation to our homes, typical work hours and family/personal life.

Work life balance and tools for the job.
    As a whole we work hard and accomplish some really great things for our partners, clients and each other. Yet it is almost impossible to get budget approval to attend a job related conference or learning opportunity and even harder to get a laptop upgrade regardless of team/department approval. Imagine what we could conquer if we had hardware with the dedication, focus and efficiency we have. Ease up on us a bit - many of us are running at 110% - seven days a week, week after week. Rarely able to truly have a day off, one where the electronic leash is not checked multiple times a day with the ability to be logged in and online at a moments notice. In the end we get pushed harder, expected to beat the impossible goal we just achieved, take on more responsibility, challenge ourselves, grow business, etc...without additional staff or support.

ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITY! What are the career path options of a DR employee? Do job descriptions or list of responsibilities by title/role exist? How does one get promoted? It's certainly not solely based on performance, peer review/recognition, dedication etc...

At first glance things look good

Current Employee - Sales in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Sales in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some truly talented people that work at DR.

Cons

Not sure if things will ever change even though we talk about the company evolving

Good Company overall

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable compensation. Company is still trying to maintain a liberal allowance for individuality.

Cons

Decisions are often made toward progression and not often enough to stabilize current business.

Try to be a bit more conservative while looking at technological growth. Support your teams.

Account Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time

Pros

flexible in work life balance

Cons

too flexible sometimes to where people take advantage

Be concise