Digital River Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Digital River CEO Dave Dobson
Dave Dobson

Pros
  • Dog days and beer Friday was great (in 14 reviews)

• Fast paced, exciting client list (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They will work you to the bone without any compassion to ones work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• It is extremely fast paced - so for some it could be challenging (in 6 reviews)

Long Term Employee

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Throughout the years, Digital River offered many "intangibles" missing at other companies, which have been very attractive. Hard work will allow you to stand out and can give you career opportunities. Company is in the midst of "Transformation" which has very positive goals.

Cons

Since becoming a private company, the teams often seem focused only on the bottom line, and not on the client relationship, despite assurances that the opposite would be true. Management "trickle down" communication could use shoring up.

Advice to Management

It is important to value your employees and what they bring to the client relationship. Focus on budget above all makes the employee feel small. Focus on Executive relationships only is detrimental overall.

Director

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Part of a growing industry, a loyal and hardworking employee base, good flexibility, good line managers, and a very nice HQ location.

Cons

Constant and disruptive change, and an executive team that's seriously out of touch. Also now owned by a private equity firm with a reputation for frugality.

Advice to Management

Culture really matters. The bickering at the executive level cascades down and infects employees. Understand how you're contributing to declining morale and take real steps to fix it.

Change can be good.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is making large strides in simplifying the offering. The introduction of standard implementations is a large positive for both our development and our clients. The office setting is comfortable and friendly. Having the option of a cafeteria and several outdoor spaces allows for a little getaway during the day if you want to change your work setting. There are some very smart people that work here.

Cons

We have been in a state of change for 2 years and some would argue longer. Change can be good, but the types of changes I'm referring to go beyond the technical offerings and services of the company. It's the people change and management of the people that seems to be held so tightly to the senior leadership, that it actually demotivates the employees who are just waiting to see how they will be impacted.

Advice to Management

Change can be good. Just make sure you get on with it.

Hardwork but good work

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Digital River (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of highly technical and solid staff. Most teams work well together. Some really good leaders.

Cons

Holiday is a key period. Could impact your Holiday. Need to be more decisive. Need to just go for it...

Advice to Management

Double down and take a chance.

No emphasis on Quality

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monticello, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monticello, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with Beer/Wine Fridays Once a month bring your dog to work day Beautiful building and workout room

Cons

Not sure what to take for the latest QA Engineer reorg with Development teams. Not a whole lot of support from management, and if Management do support, it is generally their favorites.

Advice to Management

Listen to everyone, don't just pick out a few.

Software Engineer

I have been working at Digital River full-time

Pros

Flexible working hours Good Benefits Career Opportunites

Cons

Too many high level managers/executives Do not have the highest trust in leaderships decisions

8. Director

I have been working at Digital River full-time

Pros

Great company - leading edge business value, wonderful clients.

Cons

Working through challenges - Exec leadership and focus

Advice to Management

stay focused - enhance sales

Good Luck

I worked at Digital River full-time

Pros

Great building, gym, cafeteria.

Cons

If you aren't inside the little cliques within DR, you are on the out. Old boys club is extremely prevalent. Constant change in direction with little upwards progression internally.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees instead of spewing promises of glory and success.

Sr. Program Manager

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Digital River (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent place to work. There are a lot of opportunities for advancement, challenging work, and skill development.

Cons

The work/life balance could be better and senior management is not always professional.

leaving was a blessing in disguise, glad I did

Former Employee - Lead in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Lead in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Digital River

Pros

Highly talented individuals Good fun in the office I worked in In the early days we had Xmas parties in Germany, soccer tournaments in Europe Learned tonnes about my job Got great guidance from my Managers, some of whom were excellent. Great travel opportunities Worked with team members in Asia,Europe, USA, South America Wii xbox and playstation in the break room Paid the mortgage for a few years, bought a few cars, had some holidays and could afford a decent social life. Some excellent lunches and meals when travelling which contributed to learning more about the world. Really was a great company to work for. But all masterpieces have a passage where the key players think they need to take action to do better and they don't. Julius Caesar, King Lear, Walter White, Digital River.

Cons

To progress one needed to work their backside off or be pretty ruthless. I chose to work. Finishing salary was on a par with lower level roles in other jobs There was a takeover that upper Management focused on. The whole point of the takeover seemed to be to make huge money for Senior Management. The long term viability of the company was an after thought. A bit like killing a piglet for its meat today without thinking how fat the pig could get Time and again a top new executive would arrive with powerpoint presentations buzz words and ideas. A few months later they would be gone. A year later a new executive would join and regurgitate the fallen comarade's ideas. How this company terminates people's roles is weird. It is a bit like grandma having an accidental poo in the pants at xmas meetup and her being whisked off home and nobody being allowed talk about it. The only way to find out who had left was to check outlook. For years I had to send myself mails from my personal email to see had I been canned. I was once told that when I would leave the company I would suddenly see all the flaws Digital River has. A month after leaving I saw this. The company is a distant memory now, but I just look back and smile thinking of the disorganised chaos that used to reign there. The company makes a big deal about the business it conducts at thanksgiving but other companies do that business in an hour. Like that uncle at your wedding telling young girls how he almost got a place in the Tampa Bay Bucs squad for the 95 superbowl only to drop a can of beer on his big toe.

Advice to Management

When the seagulls follow the trawler they feel like idiots when the trawler sinks into the sea .....

RSS Feed </> Embed