Digital River

Updated October 17, 2014
2.7

Digital River CEO Dave Dobson
Dave Dobson

Pros
  • Beautiful office and good perks (massage, Beer Friday) (in 14 reviews)

• The company is very fast paced - full of energy and the best people I have had the pleasure to work alongside (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They will work you to the bone without any compassion to ones work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• It is extremely fast paced - so for some it could be challenging (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Comapny

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They took good care of their people, while I worked there. The place had a good culture and great breakroom.

Cons

They had some low level managers who were kind of jerks. They would breath down your neck if you were on a call a littel long trying to hrlp a customer.

Since all teh calls are monitored, and you have a good handle on who your good performers are, don't bother them with the petty stuff,and let them do their job.

Good company, but little work life balance

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They offer good benefits and a casual work atmosphere. The people that you work with are great. You can learn a lot in a short time.

Cons

There is not a good work life balance. Expectations are increasingly high that your availability will include nights and weekends.

Employees need work life balance.

Loved the River

Former Employee - Associate Director
    Former Employee - Associate Director

I worked at Digital River full-time

Pros

Great benefits package. Great tools to work with. It's a fast paced environment. Not only projects but the culture changed quickly.

Cons

Slow to act. It was like getting a bill passed through congress to get anything to happen. Could be much simpler. They no longer offer trainings or much support for professional growth

If DR would start acting like a global company instead of a MN based company they may make it easier to get things done.

I'm appreciative for what I learned but I'm glad to be out

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

DR still has some of the brightest people in the Twin Cities and overall it is a nice team. The team has a lot of potential that a competent management team could unleash. Good food, good gym and other perks like massage. Helpful and friendly HR personnel but unfortunately most of them don't stay for very long - except from the SVP HR.

Cons

The company lost its culture after the founder left and the management should make it a focus and work with the team to create a positive culture. The staff turnover is significant because of the obligatory layoffs every six months and lack of focus, innovation and execution. The company is stagnant at best.

It's time to turn rhetoric into action. Stop promising everything under the sun about what you are going to do to turn things around. Just do it. Take feedback from employees (not executives) seriously and don't just pretend that you do.

Exceptional people - too bad we're all electronically leashed

Current Employee - Program Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Casual environment, fun, good amount of flexibility and overall everyone works closely with and gets along well with everyone. I have worked with some of the most brilliant, caring, funny and amazing people at DR. Many of whom have become important friends to keep in touch with when paths take different directions

Cons

Lack of work life balance and consistency across the organization. The team I am on gets a lot of flexibility with working remotely and the hours we work - but we also get worked really hard at times over weekends and during holidays (name of the game for ecom. though)

Create consistency across managers and up. We are an ecom company with an impressive list of achievements - allow employees across the board some flexibility with telecommuting. I get a lot of flexibility to do so because I report up to a segment of management that understands the majority of my responsibilities can be done anywhere internet is available. However the team one row over from me operates almost like a call center; everyone needs to be in the office and at their desk for a full 8 hr.

Solicit our feedback on things like the holiday party and all associates meeting. Its really hard for some of us to attend those functions with the days, times and locations of them in relation to our homes, typical work hours and family/personal life.

Work life balance and tools for the job.
    As a whole we work hard and accomplish some really great things for our partners, clients and each other. Yet it is almost impossible to get budget approval to attend a job related conference or learning opportunity and even harder to get a laptop upgrade regardless of team/department approval. Imagine what we could conquer if we had hardware with the dedication, focus and efficiency we have. Ease up on us a bit - many of us are running at 110% - seven days a week, week after week. Rarely able to truly have a day off, one where the electronic leash is not checked multiple times a day with the ability to be logged in and online at a moments notice. In the end we get pushed harder, expected to beat the impossible goal we just achieved, take on more responsibility, challenge ourselves, grow business, etc...without additional staff or support.

ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITY! What are the career path options of a DR employee? Do job descriptions or list of responsibilities by title/role exist? How does one get promoted? It's certainly not solely based on performance, peer review/recognition, dedication etc...

E-commerce in transition

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company rewards those who take the initiative to solve problems and improve operations. Fast paced environment willing to take risks in finding e-commerce solutions to complex international operations. Great opportunity to learn e-commerce through lunch and company seminars. Diverse and engaging company culture along with great beer Fridays.

Cons

The regular acquisition of companies created a diverse and complex, home grown, house of cards system. Various new systems were installed in an attempt to resolve the inconsistent data reporting, frustrating client experience, poor customer service and employee re-work.

Good place in general

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Digital River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

+ Co-workers: There are some really good folks here who are really smart and bar raisers.
    + Culture: Company culture is more like start-up tech company, beer fridays, bring dog to work thursdays etc.
    + Technology: Some teams get to work on really cool technologies
    + Global: There are multiple teams all over the globe from Europe to Asia.

Cons

- Technology: very complicated system, one might get into a pigeon hole.
    - Management: No true sense of direction, always chasing "something" without what that "something" is
    - Innovation: Mostly acquired systems from acquisitions. Spirit of innovation is lacking.

Listen to Engineers and take some risk.
    It is better to build something from scratch rather than to keep applying duct tape solution to a complicated system.

Good Overall

I have been working at Digital River as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Business casual dress code, challenging work environment, beer fridays

Cons

High turnover in personnel, location is removed from city center (good for suburban workers)

No direction & terrible senior management

I worked at Digital River full-time

Pros

The people below director level are great. Beer Friday, Dog Day, travel if you're in the right group.

Cons

Politics at it's finest. You could be the most unqualified person in the building but if the VP's like you, you can get paid for doing next to nothing. Their products are years behind the competition with 40% of their business coming from one customer. If that customer leaves they're screwed. Senior management just realized they need to have redundant applications after years of ignoring the problem

Learn to be honest with your employees. If you don't know what you're doing, odds are one of your incredibly talented people who reports to you does. Don't blow them off like they're nothing just because they dont have a VP in their title.

We had a lot of fun growing a piece of the business; great people - tons of talent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great space - eCommerce; Great people - talented individuals who know how to work hard and have fun; Great opportunities for growth.

Cons

At the time, the challenges facing the company seemed to overwhelm them. As a result, it became a difficult place for people to thrive in confidence.

New management seems to have some of the right ideas for growing the company

Digital River Photos