Digital River

Updated January 22, 2015
2.8

Digital River CEO Dave Dobson
Dave Dobson

Pros
  • Beautiful office and good perks (massage, Beer Friday) (in 14 reviews)

• The atmosphere is very fast paced so there's typically never a dull moment (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • They will work you to the bone without any compassion to ones work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• It is extremely fast paced - so for some it could be challenging (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Aging poorly

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wide exposure to modern technology.

Cons

Executive shakeup over the last couple years has left the company with no cohesive direction, struggling to find its way in the market.

As the relaxed corporate culture dries up, so do the reasons for staying at DR despite the tenancy to pay lower than market rates. Pay people what they are worth or your talent will continue to leave.

Great individual contributors led (managed) by an Executive Team without a vision and people skills

Current Employee - Product Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will hardly find a place with more e-commerce expertise. Good, some brilliant people who would do well in any other e-commerce company.
    Decent employee benefits. Beautiful office and good perks (massage, Beer Friday)
    The company used to have its own unique corporate culture with an executive team that understood the business but poorly executed the strategy.

Cons

Now they have an Executive Team that has no e-commerce expertise or background and as a result they don't have a vision and strategy. It actually seems to be their strategy to hang on and survive until somebody buys the company and maximize profitability in the meantime by laying off people every six to twelve months. The employee turnover must be around 20-25% per year. This means that every year 250-300 people walk out the door.

Create company values and create a new corporate culture together with the team and not behind closed doors. Articulate a vision and execute accordingly. Create an environment of stability. Fix HR and create an environment of trust.

Laid back, easy place

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive compensation. Very friendly colleagues. Great manager. Great options to move between teams internally.

Cons

Confused management. Not the best bonus/benefits structure.

Make up your mind about a roadmap and stick to it.

Great Comapny

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They took good care of their people, while I worked there. The place had a good culture and great breakroom.

Cons

They had some low level managers who were kind of jerks. They would breath down your neck if you were on a call a littel long trying to hrlp a customer.

Since all teh calls are monitored, and you have a good handle on who your good performers are, don't bother them with the petty stuff,and let them do their job.

Unorganized and Unwilling to Adapt

I worked at Digital River full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent Benefits
    Average Salary
    Good group of people working in the trenches

Cons

Unwilling to adapt to changing technology and rely on outdated and unstable code.
    Extremely disorganized.
    Management-centric style.
    Their pattern of responding to not hitting their projected stock marks is to lay off staff.
    Extremely poor communication.

Get rid of portions of middle and upper management and start listening to your greatest assets, your in-the-trenches employees. You are doing a great job of giving people experience that they tend to take to other companies either through layoffs or natural attrition. You are losing extremely talented individuals with the way that you run your company.

Good company, but little work life balance

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They offer good benefits and a casual work atmosphere. The people that you work with are great. You can learn a lot in a short time.

Cons

There is not a good work life balance. Expectations are increasingly high that your availability will include nights and weekends.

Employees need work life balance.

Exceptional people - too bad we're all electronically leashed

Current Employee - Program Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Casual environment, fun, good amount of flexibility and overall everyone works closely with and gets along well with everyone. I have worked with some of the most brilliant, caring, funny and amazing people at DR. Many of whom have become important friends to keep in touch with when paths take different directions

Cons

Lack of work life balance and consistency across the organization. The team I am on gets a lot of flexibility with working remotely and the hours we work - but we also get worked really hard at times over weekends and during holidays (name of the game for ecom. though)

Create consistency across managers and up. We are an ecom company with an impressive list of achievements - allow employees across the board some flexibility with telecommuting. I get a lot of flexibility to do so because I report up to a segment of management that understands the majority of my responsibilities can be done anywhere internet is available. However the team one row over from me operates almost like a call center; everyone needs to be in the office and at their desk for a full 8 hr.

Solicit our feedback on things like the holiday party and all associates meeting. Its really hard for some of us to attend those functions with the days, times and locations of them in relation to our homes, typical work hours and family/personal life.

Work life balance and tools for the job.
    As a whole we work hard and accomplish some really great things for our partners, clients and each other. Yet it is almost impossible to get budget approval to attend a job related conference or learning opportunity and even harder to get a laptop upgrade regardless of team/department approval. Imagine what we could conquer if we had hardware with the dedication, focus and efficiency we have. Ease up on us a bit - many of us are running at 110% - seven days a week, week after week. Rarely able to truly have a day off, one where the electronic leash is not checked multiple times a day with the ability to be logged in and online at a moments notice. In the end we get pushed harder, expected to beat the impossible goal we just achieved, take on more responsibility, challenge ourselves, grow business, etc...without additional staff or support.

ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITY! What are the career path options of a DR employee? Do job descriptions or list of responsibilities by title/role exist? How does one get promoted? It's certainly not solely based on performance, peer review/recognition, dedication etc...

Loved the River

Former Employee - Associate Director
    Former Employee - Associate Director

I worked at Digital River full-time

Pros

Great benefits package. Great tools to work with. It's a fast paced environment. Not only projects but the culture changed quickly.

Cons

Slow to act. It was like getting a bill passed through congress to get anything to happen. Could be much simpler. They no longer offer trainings or much support for professional growth

If DR would start acting like a global company instead of a MN based company they may make it easier to get things done.

I'm appreciative for what I learned but I'm glad to be out

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

DR still has some of the brightest people in the Twin Cities and overall it is a nice team. The team has a lot of potential that a competent management team could unleash. Good food, good gym and other perks like massage. Helpful and friendly HR personnel but unfortunately most of them don't stay for very long - except from the SVP HR.

Cons

The company lost its culture after the founder left and the management should make it a focus and work with the team to create a positive culture. The staff turnover is significant because of the obligatory layoffs every six months and lack of focus, innovation and execution. The company is stagnant at best.

It's time to turn rhetoric into action. Stop promising everything under the sun about what you are going to do to turn things around. Just do it. Take feedback from employees (not executives) seriously and don't just pretend that you do.

E-commerce in transition

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company rewards those who take the initiative to solve problems and improve operations. Fast paced environment willing to take risks in finding e-commerce solutions to complex international operations. Great opportunity to learn e-commerce through lunch and company seminars. Diverse and engaging company culture along with great beer Fridays.

Cons

The regular acquisition of companies created a diverse and complex, home grown, house of cards system. Various new systems were installed in an attempt to resolve the inconsistent data reporting, frustrating client experience, poor customer service and employee re-work.

Digital River Photos