Digital Roots Reviews

11 reviews filtered by
4.0
Jason Wolcott

1. Marketing

I have been working at Digital Roots full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Self-starter culture with employees empowered to make decisions
    Customer-centric
    Collaborative

Cons

Growing so fast, someone used to a larger, structured company could get lost

New hire view

I have been working at Digital Roots

Pros

They have a good product that you can be proud of providing.
    It's very stable for a startup.
    Casual environment.
    Everyone is very accessible and tries to fit both professional and personal needs. People who work here are pleasant to work with.
    You are stimulated to do better and learn, and this learning has the proportion on freedom/guidance that you need.
    It's a great place to learn and evolve as a professional.
    Their benefits package is very competitive. Facilities are good.

Cons

It's not well structured so easy to get lost on first months, in the sense of not knowing how to get something because you don't know who to ask. But every one is accessible , so ask all and eventually you get the right person.
    Equipment (laptop, WiFi, phone reception in building) should be better. It's not at the level expected from a company that works with technology.
    No snacks.

Advice to Management

Don't let equipment be bottleneck to productivity.
    Keep up the good work regarding other areas where you are doing great as listed in pros.

Make a difference; Work with amazing people; Fun, challenging work

Current Employee - Anonymous in Northville, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Northville, MI

I have been working at Digital Roots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'd say the best thing to say about Digital Roots is that as an employee you get the opportunity to make a difference. I don't have experience with all of the various roles within the company, however I know this rings true for every position. The open culture and transparent management style ensures everyone has a say in the direction of the company. It doesn't matter if you are working sales, marketing, operations, or product development, the weekly huddles and open nature of the office ensures everyone not only can be heard but is heard.

The second best thing about Digital Roots is the people. Surrounding myself with like-minded, entrepreneurial, motivated and fun people makes the work that much more enjoyable.

Rounding out my top 3 reasons I love working at Digital Roots is that the work is fun. It really is. We get to create things, design things, optimize things - all without the shackles and red-tape of a large organization. There really is no limit to what we can do here - and given the right mentality, each and every employee has the right and ability to apply their style to their work.

Some examples that highlight the pros of various roles within the company, from my eyes:

Account Management
    + work closely with clients, helping guide their strategy and vision
    + work closely with the product development team to impact the product roadmap

Marketing
    + ability to be creative and innovative
    + close involvement with the direction and messaging of the product offerings

Software
    + agile and pragmatic development idioms
    + direct impact on client productivity and satisfaction
    + best idea wins philosophy - everyone has a say in decisions, even at the design/architectural level

Data Science / Research
    + applying and improving on cutting edge and well-tested algorithms
    + develop innovative solutions to challenging problems

Cons

The environment is different from the average 9-5 job where you clock out your "work brain" at the end of the day. The nature of working for a small company with big goals and challenges means you are often wearing multiple hats and critical to the success of the company. Some may see this as a con, as it implies a greater attachment to your work, however I see this as a pro. I believe everyone at Digital Roots agrees with me that, although this can be challenging at times, it is a far more rewarding to feel like an integral part of the success of the organization.

5. I thought I had worked for good employers in the past but Digital Roots made me realize that they were merely average.

Current Employee - Consultant in Northville, MI
    Current Employee - Consultant in Northville, MI

I have been working at Digital Roots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Digital Roots motto is work hard play hard which promotes the hard work and ethics by adding focus as well as play. The work-play is a great work balance. The benefits are good and tons of room for growth and opportunity.

Cons

There is no shortage of challenges and good people to work with. They share common values and are equally committed, which makes for a great work environment.

Advice to Management

I think management surrounds themselves with the right people. Hire for fit and train for skill. It gives
    The employees the tools and training they need to provide exceptional service.

6. Entrepreneurial Environment for Demonstrated Innovators

Current Employee - Sales Director in Northview, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Northview, MI

I have been working at Digital Roots full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Digital Roots has been a unique experience for me to say the very least.

In my career, I’ve worked for five total startup/entrepreneurial companies. Throughout the years, I’ve seen both early stage, been a founder and joined Venture Backed organizations - but common to each was the emphasis on doing everything possible to gain market attention, often at the expense of running a sound company. Digital Roots is far different - placing a paramount emphasis on the company’s long-term performance and balancing that with controlled growth and centering on leading innovation.

In the last year, I’ve witnessed unparalleled growth in this organization. New managerial practices and my own direct involvement have boosted performance exponentially - while simultaneously emphasizing the need for an employee-focused culture where satisfaction is measured and addressed almost constantly. Accordingly, when measured success is paired with employee satisfaction - a work environment that is both exciting, stimulating and fun is the result, and I can easily say I’ve never been happier in any career role than I am currently at Digital Roots.

As part of this cultural transformation, Digital Roots has shifted from hiring numerous resources to hiring highly qualified resources - always balancing the need for technical acumen with the need for cultural fit. By creating a core of innovative, forward thinking leaders within the organization - the environment is now highly dynamic and fueled by internal creativity. Knowing that “thought leadership” is an abused word/concept - I still emphasize that the types of work being done here is second to none - evidenced both by external awards (recently ranked 567 within INC’s 5000], client satisfaction and business growth.

Cons

There are no Cons for me personally. The only thing I would say here is if you are looking to find an average role where you can only focus on the minimum requirements and follow orders - this is not the place.

Advice to Management

If you’re looking to have a career driven by passion, innovation and a constant strive for excellence in your chosen field - there is no better company to join. Digital Roots is not a company for those wishing to sit by and do the minimum, we are a company for those wishing to change their field and make a dramatic impact on innovative technology in the space.

Like anything, you can choose a path of safety and security, with the minimum commitment at the heart of the decision - or you can join a team of demonstrated innovative leaders and shape an industry that is growing as fast as the companies within it. Having been on both sides, I would highly encourage confident applicants to consider our team - you may work hard, but you’ll never experience a greater reward.

As a close, I want to thank Digital Roots for giving me this opportunity. As recently as a few years ago, I thought the reason to join an entrepreneurial company was to selfishly benefit from an organization’s gains. Now, having experienced what it’s like to work for the best - I could never settle for anything less!

7. Marketing Intern

Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Northville, MI
    Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Northville, MI

I have been working at Digital Roots as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Digital Roots acknowledges that I'm in college and does everything to fit my work schedule around school. The work environment is amazing and the people working for the company love their job. You get a really good vibe every time you enter the office. When it comes to projects, the team does a great job with their assignments and people feed off of the positive energy in the office. I'm loving my experience here at DR.

Cons

Since I'm fairly new to Digital Roots I haven't formulated any cons about the company. So far everything is going great.

Advice to Management

Make sure to connect to as many employees as possible everyday. When management and the workers under them are on the same page, the quality of work rises. Positive chemistry is a good thing for an office environment.

8. Great place to start a career

I have been working at Digital Roots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great Culture
    - Experience to work with top brands
    - Opportunity to create your own career path

Cons

- Things can get busy sometimes

9. Great company to work for very innovative and creative space to work in.

I have been working at Digital Roots

Pros

The new office is amazing with many exciting amenities! All of the A players in this office are unheard of, creating and innovating new and exciting technologies. Team atmosphere working towards the greater good for all companies and customers utilizing their software.

Cons

No cons really great company, great people, dynamic atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Continue to get after it live the dream!

A joke

I have been working at Digital Roots full-time

Pros

You can wear jeans everyday!

Cons

You get to work with a few fortune 100 companies...however, the company only has a few "big accounts", and that is how it has been for some time now (no growth...). The product is ok, but you might find it manipulative.

The job descriptions are deceiving, and get ready to pull your eyes out! If you are a female you're golden, oh, but make sure you are attractive. It's located in Northville, which isn't my idea of a tech company "hot spot", but apparently that's all they could afford. They are very "Green" friendly. The company feels like a cult, if you don't follow suit, you're considered not to be a "team player". ALSO, "competitive salary" is a JOKE! They might try to fool you with the "sky is the limit" and "we're only going to get bigger" attitude, but DON'T fall for it!

Basically the company and the CEO and whoever else is drinking the koolaid, lies, trash talks, and only cares about themselves. They market themselves as "If you can dream it, you can have it", but the communication between the entire office is so poor, so any dream that you do have you basically find out through the grapevine that your ideas/thoughts sucked. The CEO is excellent at NOT being direct, but telling his little sidekicks/puppets of the year what he thinks of you. I would highly recommend asking some hardcore questions if you decide to interview.

If you're smart you will look elsewhere, there are much better and more professional companies out there that treat their employees with respect (and pay a ton more). Don't let their "new age" marketing trick you.

Also after reading the previous reviews, ethics 101, don't hate on someone's religion.

Read ALL the reviews. Educated yourself. Good luck.

Advice to Management

See above

A good place to cut your teeth if nothing else

I worked at Digital Roots

Pros

The product is excellent. The IT/developers are amazing and the staff is young, fun, and capable. I gained a lot of experience here as a young professional.

Cons

The company has trouble transitioning from a startup to a full-fledged company but demands the benefits of both. For example, it's hard to know what is expected of an employee since workplace titles are constantly changing and job descriptions are purposely vague. They like the jack-of-all-trades employee, but this is confusing when you could be admonished for not performing tasks that are outside the scope of your responsibilities and never communicated by leadership. "Stepping up" to distinguish yourself is great, but going above and beyond within the scope of your perceived responsibilities seems to go unnoticed. How exactly an employee should go above and beyond is difficult to identify and often unintuitive, but the management still seems to think that it's the employees who are not catching on instead of realizing that these unspoken expectations are extremely counterproductive. The "we'll-make-it-big-one-day" mantra keeps the young base working long hours with what I thought was uncompetitive pay compared with similar positions in the same geographic marketplace.

Advice to Management

The younger work base needs satisfactory guidance and mentorship to make the company great. Don't leave it to them to ask questions they might not know to ask and then blame them after the fact. Compensate employees fairly. They might be young and replaceable, but the company won't be able to retain quality talent over a long period of time otherwise.