Digitaria

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dan Khabie

High stress, even for an agency. Extremely political work environment.

California (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWork with some talented people, for well known client/brands. The culture definitely produces some great work and allows creativity due to the level of talent. Pay is fair to good. Leadership promotes fun and encourages a collaborative atmosphere. Beautiful headquarters.

ConsSome management is just plain awful, and frequently high pressure to the point of being abusive. Also, it's very political. There's lots of backstabbing. Project managers are expected to compete for resources and many go too far.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of incompetent managers. Work harder to maintain sanity and reduce conflict. Stop destroying morale by promoting the loudest but laziest people.

Unsatisfying

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExtremely talented co-workers, large brand experience, location perks (great view, downtown), company sponsored 'events' (free food etc.)

ConsToo many corporate/bureaucratic policies without the pros of corporate work/life balance. Too many meetings with too little productivity and disproportionate appreciation for effort. Overall complacency is wide spread and tangible. Management is critical and sets the bar high while offering little to no encouragement, training, or positive reinforcement. Most people are there to punch their time card, get paid on time, and patiently await getting off work in order to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to utilize the same creativity, support, and teamwork that got you to the top in the first place. Growth is good, but loyalty and longevity will be lost if the vibe doesn't change.

Stressful, Political, Just Plain Sad

(Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsAll the things you've already seen here, none of it which has anything to do with Digitaria as a workplace. The office is rad and right next to the Padres baseball stadium. There are two or three big parties a year. Most of the staff is young and fun. Blah blah blah.

ConsToday was totally the last straw for me. The CEO sent out an email telling everybody how great our culture is. It was so tone death and phony. Everybody who works here is totally stressed out. The people that are still here anyway. It's really political and morale is terrible. The big joke that you hear all the time is that it's The Hunger Games. Everyone is fighting everyone for resources and help. Pay is low too, which I'm finding out as I interview for other jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop telling us how great it is here. It's not great here.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High Stress, Poor Work/Life Balance

ProsOffice is right above Petco Park which makes for a cool location that people like to "oooh" and "ahhh" at, young/fun co-workers

ConsAll management cares about is that you're billable, which makes the place really high stress. Work/life balance is non-existent. All client work is almost 100% project based, and the work is primarily production- very little creative or "big ideas". The office is extremely political. The stress around the office feels like it's getting progressively worse. I genuinely think all my co-workers are looking for a new gig.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the outrages sales calc pads and overcharging clients so the agency can develop true client partnerships and start doing some creative work that isn't just project-based web design. People may not mind working so hard if it was work they enjoyed vs. all production. Office freebies every now and then does not make up for the day-to-day most workers are dealing with. Also, please realize how political the senior managers you're promoting are making the place.

A place where creativity goes to die. Churn & burn ...

Senior User Experience Designer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat culture, office, fun events. A great place to start out and establish your career.

ConsThere is no on boarding process. Be prepared to be thrown into a project halfway through with little to no explanation. With no formal training process you can easily find your self getting written up for not being 100% billable.
    Communication with managers is appalling. In 11 months the longest I spoke to my manager was during the interview process.
     Bleary eyed employees walk around the office, tired and (most definitely) overworked.
     There is no emphasis on "the big idea" and most of the work seems to be clients JWT has messed up & sent to DIgitaria to fix. The design work is mostly all production.
    Management is adept to straight up lying to their employees, I witnessed it more than once.
    There is little emphasis on growth as most employees don't make it past the first year mark.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Communication is important & there seems to be some political motivations for the way the office is run. Give feedback when asked, especially if an employee seeks it out about their performance.
    Don't make people managers that don't want to be, it's obvious who's a good leader and who's not

Digitaria...constantly going through changes

ProsThe culture is pretty cool, they have some company events that are pretty fun
    They are accommodating when you need to work from home as well
    Many talented people

ConsThey do not compensate you fairly
    You almost never can be promoted
    High stress
    Horrible work/life balance
    Overcharge clients
    Low Pay

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you let people go, or people quit, hire new people to take over, or if you are going to give more work to others compensate them accordingly../

Hit or Miss/ Had potential but didn't deliver

Senior User Experience (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsLocation, Cool office building, great view, free snacks

Consproject based billable, if they don't have work you don't have work and it's your fault

Advice to Senior Managementdon't over staff on deals that are not closed, then later lay off people because you don't have the projects to support the hire decision.

Run Away If You're Not In Tech/Creative

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsNice co-workers, killer office location next to Petco Park, good benefits

ConsI want to start this review off by clarifying that Digitaria's bread and butter is web development and design. So pending on the position you're in within the company... you will have a drastically different experience. My impression is that if you are in tech development, QA or the creative department-- you may be OK pending on your accounts/supervisors. If you are in strategy, planning, account, project management, analytics, or sales- it's a different story. Digitaria is trying HARD to build out their strategy offerings, but they're struggling and it's failing. They're unwilling to scope strategy projects differently from the way they scope development/design. (even though the offerings are two completely different things). It causes horrible inefficiencies which affects several departments.

Because Digitaria runs like a web dev/design company-- naturally, all the work here is project based. Very very very few retained clients in which you can build a relationship with and build upon. I wish somebody had told me that when I was interviewing so I knew the projects they were hiring me for wouldn't be around for long. This is largely due to the fact that they charge insane prices by placing high pads on projects and charging upwards of $200/hr for a mid-level resource. They're just not structured to partner with clients long-term.

Don't come to this agency if you want to work on cutting-edge, smart stuff. It's basically a production company for JWT now, for projects JWT wants to outsource (that means you have two clients: JWT, and the ACTUAL client who doesn't understand their work is getting outsourced in the first place). This is across the board from development, creative, and through to strategy teams. Honestly, all the clients that Digitaria says they work with on the website are from five years ago, or a very tiny piece of the current client-base. It's not innovative stuff anymore. Look closely at agency case studies and you'll be able to spot it.

Lastly, across the board no matter the department, I can confidently say: work-life balance is absolutely horrific. If you're billable (which is all senior management cares about), you'll typically spend well beyond the hours that you were originally scoped. If you're not billable, you'll be in fear for your job and placed on projects you're not qualified for (or have an interest in working on) simply because you have availability. New business pitches (which the company proudly pursues whether or not they are truly valid opportunities), are not billable. So you'll be expected to work tirelessly on them in addition your billable work. Again, if you're NOT billable, you still can't count time spent on new business towards your day, so it looks like you're not busy on paper... and you'll be in fear for your job. It's a constant struggle.

Mostly everyone I know at Digitaria doesn't plan to be working here one year from now. Do yourself a favor and don't be tricked by their "client roster" and sweet office view-- find another opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire Sales people who know how/want to sell strategy and reward them accordingly (because right now all they care about is web because it's the only thing that pays out well).

Implement an actual training/on-boarding program so you can retain some of the new hires and their learning curve isn't 12 months. Your insane turnover should tip you off to this.

You can't just throw an awesome agency happy hour every now and then and retain top-talent. It comes from the top-down. Everyone sees the fluff in the agency-wide meetings where you promise things will get better but you continue to do the same thing.

More of a workhouse to outsource web work to, than an actual creative agency.

Producer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFun, young, hip culture, great office, perfect experience for anyone early in their career.

ConsBelow industry pay, long hours, expected that the agency is your life. High turnover rates and burnout.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetaining valuable senior employees are critical to a mature process and professional interactions with clients. Not just about billable hours in PM tools that determines the value of an employee. Sunshine tax of SD is a lame excuse commonly used to explain the low wages even though client billable industry rates are 4-5 times that.

Dynamic high growth environment, Great Corporate Culture

Vice President Business Development (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat experience and growth opportunities, Highly talented people, open and accessible management, Great client opportunities. Cutting edge work. Fun office environment and amazing office location.

Conslower than average starting salaries, work- life balance can get tricky (as with all agencies)

Worked for Digitaria? Contribute to the Community!