Digitaria

Dan Khabie

Haters gonna hate

Current Employee - Senior Designer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Digitaria full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great nurturing culture. I really enjoy all my coworkers/friends. Yes, I read here that some people complain about the group that hangs out every day and weekends. Is that a negative thing to do? we just like each other so much, and we work together so well that why not be with the people you like. That's why we are careful who gets hired. And if i ever get to work more than 40hrs a week (normal agency life) do you know who is with me helping me and supporting during the late hrs at the office? All those people that I hang out during the weekends, because that's the culture we created.

No complain about the work, sometimes is very stressful, sometimes is easy, at the end its the clients attitude that drives the projects; difficult client= difficult project. They will test your patience. Benefits are good, time-off and vacation hrs constantly accumulate. The agency will make schedule accommodations to help you in an emergency, or if your favorite artist is in town and you must go.

Yes, we just changed to a new name. And no, our founders are not going away, they actually have more responsibilities at a global scale. We are welcoming our new 5000 brothers and sisters with the new international exchange opportunities.

I thing some people here lasted less than a year at the agency and complained on how bad it was. Yes, is a tough life that few can handle. I do agree that the agency needs to be more organized. On the good side, you get to put at least three or five big client names on your resume that you wouldn't get anywhere else in less than a year. Pretty much the benefit for those who didn't lasted here is that their professional life goes from zero to hero in less than a year. You work so fast with many clients at the same time that after being here, most other agencies are a breeze.

You change titles faster than any other agency.
    Your hard work is recognized.

Cons

I do wish the agency compensate more to retain talent because I do notice some people only come to build their resumes and leave.

I think they need to hire someone on the larger departments to coordinate people. Everything changes so fast that sometimes we lose track. We need elite coordinators for coordinators.

Keep rocking it!
    but seriously, lets get organized and add some extra coordinators/trackers

Challenging and enhancing

I have been working at Digitaria full-time

Pros

- Tremendous growth opportunity
    - Leadership that nurtures your interests and support your personal career path/goals
    - Tons of mentorship and learning opportunities in a 360 capacity
    - Hard work recognized and rewarded

Cons

Work/life balance can be a struggle. But that's not unique to Digi - it's agency life.

Digitaria - amazing place to work

I have been working at Digitaria

Pros

Tons of growth opportunity
    Great culture
    Amazing people

Cons

Compensation and work-life balance could be better

Earnout Burnout

I worked at Digitaria full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice space. Nice pace.

Nobody is that overworked. I have read the other comments about too much work. This is coming from very young people who have no idea what a real agency is like.

Cons

They have some of the most memorable brands in the world on their roster, yet none of the work they do is memorable.

Nobody pushes the work. Everyone settles for "good enough" and "get it out the door".

They add a 20%+ pad to most projects. This is unethical and disheartening.

Ownership is obviously in earnout mode. They deserve it. Good for them. Bad for the work. Bad for morale.

Workforce is way too junior. This is likely tied to earnout frugality.

Invest in your current clients. Stop chasing so much crap. Have a little swagger. Stand for something (try just one thing to start). Turn a few gigs down. Make the work matter. Make work that will be remembered. Let talent prevail not politics and peer pressure.

Digitaria is Dead

Former Employee - Creative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Creative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Digitaria full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are no pros. Digitaria is dead. Greed, politics and misplaced ambition killed it. The name will be changed in 2015, as it should be.

Cons

As others have written, Digi's four founders have completely checked out awaiting a big takeover payday from JWT at the end of the year. Morale is broken and there is no can-do spirit any more. it's all about maximizing profit for the founders.

Projects are ridiculously padded but pay is low. The salespeople constantly over promise and the PMs take the fall for it. In the power vacuum, the most political, gossipy and back-stabbing people have done well, but none of them are much good at their actual job.

Digitaria is in a sad place right now. It's going through it's death throes. What it turns into after the JWT takeover no one really knows, but all signs so far are bad. You'd be crazy to come here until at least six months after JWT takes over, because you have no idea what you're walking into other than a soul-sucking mess.

None.

It was a turbulent ride, and I am glad it is over.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager

I worked at Digitaria full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting people. Some interesting work. And some fun for sure. Beautiful office. Especially if you like baseball.

Cons

The partners are checked out. It's the last year of the buyout and it seems the mantra is over sell, who cares about delivery, lets squeeze every cent we can out of everything. That means replacing experienced professionals with $9 an hour interns.

Level with everyone and let them know what is going on. What happens when your pay day comes? What happens to the rest of us?

Low Pay, High Stress, Very Political- Adult High School

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Digitaria full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The view of the office is really nice. The majority of the people that work there are a young, smart fun group. They have a events every month or so which involve alcohol and free food. They throw the best parties for holidays. The clients Digitaria works with are high end brands, big names which look great on your resume. Digitaria on your resume looks good too because if you leave to another agency, they like to see Digitaria on your resume because it shows you know how to work really hard.

Cons

It's similar to High School, theres a noticeable "popular" group, they all hang out together during work, after work and weekends. I guess this is OK if you don't have any friends and your only friends are your co-workers, but that can often lead to drama!

It's very political, you have to be best friends with your manager to move up. You also have to be part of certain crowds at work to really enjoy working there. Most people that work there are really burned out which causes a lot of backlash on the project integrity and quality. There's a lot of arguing and disagreements with team members. You can throw the creative out of the door because the creatives don't like to change their vision, and if they are forced to, the project pretty much gets hosed.

Resources are high rates, budgets are low, projects get over promised by sales/ business development and usually the Project managers are the ones who have to take the brunt of all the angry people in between. There is very little work-life balance. You need to be willing to work almost 24/7 to make deadlines because of the way projects are sold and timelines are always tight.

They also have high turnover and it's obvious why.

Take a gander around and maybe talk to the mid level people to get a sense of why they are so miserable. Get a new sales team, they don't know how to sell projects efficiently and reasonably. Going for DAOR for so many companies is making the agency look desperate. Also, watch the upper management closely- promoting your best friends is not a good way to run a business.

Unsatisfying

I worked at Digitaria

Pros

Extremely talented co-workers, large brand experience, location perks (great view, downtown), company sponsored 'events' (free food etc.)

Cons

Too many corporate/bureaucratic policies without the pros of corporate work/life balance. Too many meetings with too little productivity and disproportionate appreciation for effort. Overall complacency is wide spread and tangible. Management is critical and sets the bar high while offering little to no encouragement, training, or positive reinforcement. Most people are there to punch their time card, get paid on time, and patiently await getting off work in order to leave.

Don't be afraid to utilize the same creativity, support, and teamwork that got you to the top in the first place. Growth is good, but loyalty and longevity will be lost if the vibe doesn't change.

High stress, even for an agency. Extremely political work environment.

Former Employee - California in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - California in San Diego, CA

I worked at Digitaria full-time

Pros

Work with some talented people, for well known client/brands. The culture definitely produces some great work and allows creativity due to the level of talent. Pay is fair to good. Leadership promotes fun and encourages a collaborative atmosphere. Beautiful headquarters.

Cons

Some management is just plain awful, and frequently high pressure to the point of being abusive. Also, it's very political. There's lots of backstabbing. Project managers are expected to compete for resources and many go too far.

Get rid of incompetent managers. Work harder to maintain sanity and reduce conflict. Stop destroying morale by promoting the loudest but laziest people.

Stressful, Political, Just Plain Sad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Digitaria full-time

Pros

All the things you've already seen here, none of it which has anything to do with Digitaria as a workplace. The office is rad and right next to the Padres baseball stadium. There are two or three big parties a year. Most of the staff is young and fun. Blah blah blah.

Cons

Today was totally the last straw for me. The CEO sent out an email telling everybody how great our culture is. It was so tone death and phony. Everybody who works here is totally stressed out. The people that are still here anyway. It's really political and morale is terrible. The big joke that you hear all the time is that it's The Hunger Games. Everyone is fighting everyone for resources and help. Pay is low too, which I'm finding out as I interview for other jobs.

Please stop telling us how great it is here. It's not great here.