Digitas Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated May 26, 2014
Updated May 26, 2014

3.3

Tony Weisman

Pros
  • Very smart people, good perks for younger folks, competitive wages (in 28 reviews)

• Great community and offers opportunities to learn and grow within the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance even though management makes a point of saying there's a way to have both (in 22 reviews)

• Long hours for media department, can take a while to get a raise (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great environment but they don't care too much about technology

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Digitas full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great customers, great opportunities, great place for creative and marketing

Cons

Technology is involved too late on process of defining solution to the customer, most of the budget is for marketing and creative parts, technology have to work on remaining time and budget and many time it's not enough.

Technology person must work as service/project supplier and not as brand assigned resources. It drove drop in skills and high turnover.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA

I worked at Digitas full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart clients and opportunity to work on exciting, cutting edge work
    Benefits and comp are great
    Fast paced environment

Cons

Leadership lacks professionalism and strategic direction;
    Those that get promoted usually have a "in" with senior leadership
    Moved away from being strategic and consultative to highly tactical agency
    They need to get a handle on their finances so they don't have hiring frenzies and layoffs every year

Be more objective when reviewing poor performers; don't let personal relationships get in the way or seeing a lag in performance

smart, motivated people and humane management, but pay and creative leadership lack

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Digitas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

smart people who care about their work. collaborative work environment that 'gets' digital marketing better than many agencies. Humane management that fosters a good work environment with as much job security as is possible in the ad business and an informal atmosphere that puts a premium on getting your work done over face-time or political BS.

Cons

Not an agency doing bold work with its clients, whether the fault of conservative clients or an agency positioning that puts a premium on quick execution over ground breaking work. Strategy and research are given short shrift under the belief that analytics can answer all questions, but analytics don't answer questions that haven't been asked or reveal new truths. Also, Digitas doesn't pay well...that seems to be the consensus.

Give planning more of a seat at the table with clients and stop inadequately scoping it into engagements. Make primary research a priority on more accounts and scope in budget to empower planning to uncover actionable, NEW insights, not just rehash what's already known.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced, speed over precision

Former Employee - Senior Designer  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Boston, MA

I worked at Digitas as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The people working at Digitas are bright, well-educated motivated people. The clients that Digitas works with are all A-class brands and this lends to some of the fun of working with well-known established brands. The Downtown Boston location is very convenient and lively.

Cons

Digitas is not really a creative agency. It is more like a money-driven advertising industry, so there is pressure to crank out a large volume of work. That is what the clients pay for so it should not be too much of a surprise.

Big brands, without the branding

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Digitas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large, impressive client roster. Great people, great friends - mostly specialists with deep knowledge in specific subjects or capabilities. Very forward thinking within new media and technology.

Cons

Limited opportunity to create (vs maintain) brands. Company succeeds mostly with smaller, tactical, or purely functional work reliant on vendor or content partnerships to bring to life. Limited campaign work. Account team lacks deep relationships with clients to be able to sell more meaningful creative.

1) The current creative leadership (mostly content writers) favors safe and functional over bigger, original ideas. That emphasis trickles down from marketing leadership. To become a creative agency, that must change - but it would not seem there is a desire to be a creative agency within leadership. If not, be more forthcoming with that team.

2) Strengthen your web development team or eliminate completely and partner with a strong vendor - your internal team seldom hits their goals, and is hesitant to innovate. Overall, learn to outsource what you do not do well.

3) Teach your account team (includes several members of senior leadership) how to build relationships with clients and get better opportunities for the company.

Worked there for 6.5 years. It was hands down the best job I ever had.

Former Employee - Senior Art Director  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Art Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Digitas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The most serious-minded, well-run, efficient yet fun company I've had the pleasure to work for. In fact, folks from my "class" call it "Bronner High." Digitas is an entirely different company. I was there when Bronner pissed off the advertising community by winning agency of the year. I left Bronner in 1996.

Cons

We tended to over-analyze the creative, often neutering it in the process.

Should have kept the name Bronnercom. Why would you expunge all reference to the brainchild, the Oz behind the curtain? Ogilvy is still called Ogilvy for a reason. I'll never get that.

Great place if you're young and single, with a very hard glass ceiling for working moms.

Former Employee - Associate Creative Director  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Digitas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

• Digitas has a fun work environment, filled with a lot of smart, hardworking, and dedicated people
    • Teams work on projects across disciplines, so there are many opportunities for shared knowledge
    • Creative/Marketing/UI/Technology/S&A etc are all equally important/valued to a project's success
    • Emphasis is on work being smart and strategic first, "creative" second

Cons

• Creative department management is a boy's club
    • Easy to get lost in the shuffle unless you have an advocate/ambassador in senior management
    • Company hires primarily type-A personalities which results in too many egos, competition, politics
    • Emphasis is on work being smart and strategic first, "creative" second

Boys in senior management are the problem.

Loved the experience at a great company

Current Employee - Associate Director - Strategy & Analysis  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Director - Strategy & Analysis in Boston, MA

I have been working at Digitas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Digitas has provided great learning experiences over the years. The environment is creative, young, fun, and challenging. The work is exciting and we constantly are making a difference for our clients business. Management is great and when you're ready for a new challenge they are more than willing to provide helping with personal growth.

Cons

Work/life balance can be tough. Promotions can be slow.

What a bad experience! Mean leaders and dishonest people make up Digitas.

Former Employee - Contract Recruiter  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Contract Recruiter in Boston, MA

I worked at Digitas as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I was a contractor so the only pro was that I could have a little flexibility with my hours I worked

Cons

I was a contract Recruiter with Digitas for less than a year. It was my least favorite job I've ever had. The recruiting department is a mess. The Boston Recruiting head was inappropriate and constantly spoke badly about former and current employees and contractors. I know this, because one of the other recruiters told me what she said about me, and that's when I decided to leave. You know when a recruiting department can't keep their employees, than there must be something seriously wrong with the company. I heard that the Chicago office went through 4 Recruiting Directors in the last 2 years because it's such a bad place to work and no one wants to work with the people in charge. What Digitas needs to figure out is that if they hire contract recruiters and treat them poorly, those recruiters will not be motivated to hire good people for the company, won't work hard, and will most likely share their negative experiences with others in the industry.

Get new Recruiting and HR leaders who are professional and appropriate. Stop promoting unqualified people just because they have been there for a long time and are close with the executives.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Finance Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Digitas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent work, life, balance.
    Amazing teams

Cons

Owned by a parent company

I believe that they are doing everything in their power to run us as best as can be.

Worked for Digitas? Contribute to the Community!