Digitas

Updated January 11, 2015
Updated January 11, 2015
3.5

Tony Weisman

Pros
  • Very smart people, good perks for younger folks, competitive wages (in 31 reviews)

• Tough culture, you will learn a lot and there is not better culture (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance even though management makes a point of saying there's a way to have both (in 24 reviews)

• constant nose-to-the-grindstone billable time makes for long hours and high expectations (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work for mid-twenties person

Current Employee - Experience Designer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Experience Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Digitas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Location, culture & atmosphere, people

Cons

As an advertising agency, it's still a gigantic corporation. You might get siloed into doing 1-2 things and not have the opportunity to branch into other interests, like you would at a smaller company or start-up. Most clients are uninspiring.

fantastic

I worked at Digitas

Pros

Great place to learn from the best

Cons

not many to say! great great

I love learning from the best

good

I have been working at Digitas

Pros

creative friendly creative friendly creative friendly

Cons

too many women too many women

Good Agency But Too Much Restructuring

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Digitas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some of the smartest and most creative people in the ad industry here. A pretty good balance of data-driven vs. creative-driven work. The tension between creative teams and analysts was pretty strong, but I thought it was a good thing for the quality of the work. There was a good amount of learning and development opportunities, a relatively flat organizational structure (could walk into most offices without a meeting being scheduled), and some opportunity for career growth. However, some people definitely felt the last point (opportunities) were few and far between. Work-life balance was good and the agency participated in the community and volunteered often.

Cons

Like any agency, some managers were better at their jobs than others. Raises and promotions seemed to come too infrequently for many people, leading to an unnecessarily high turnover rate. There was also a lot of restructuring for seemingly political reasons. But, for more junior-level employees, I still think this is a good place to work.

Off-cycle promotions and raises, better feedback loops (especially for lower-level employees).

Very corporate

I worked at Digitas full-time

Pros

A huge company with some very very smart people. You will probably learn more than at grad school.

Cons

A very corporate environment with serious hurdles for promotions

re-consider the promotion process.

A former leader that's lost it's luster

Former Employee - Vice President, Group Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President, Group Director in New York, NY

I worked at Digitas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Digitas at its best has a tradition of self-examination, mentoring for new strength, social responsibility and community outreach. It has offered many, including myself, the opportunity to work on large-scale, complex projects with cracker-jack teams.

Cons

Digitas has encountered a new phase, challenged by boutique agencies on one end and by savvier large agencies on the other.

Relying on scale is not enough. Digitas needs to be willing to bet on entirely new avenues of brand promotion, with a willingness to test and learn.

Sr Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Digitas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work community, awesome work/life balance, upward mobility, helpful managers, and plenty of paid time off.

Cons

It's an ad agency so obviously it's driven by the creative capabilities. Finance can feel like you're on an island.

Great potential but creativity lost to industry competition.

Current Employee - Manager, Project Management in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager, Project Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at Digitas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company has a lot of perks; great benefits, young crowd, Thur/Fri tap room, they provide snacks, top of the line hardware/software, and don't be afraid to ask for well more than what you're worth.

Cons

If you're able to enjoy the perks, you're lucky..constant nose-to-the-grindstone billable time makes for long hours and high expectations. Managers are high stress and will put a lot of pressure on the team, so be cautious what you can promise. Also give managers SOME credit, the pressure is just rolling downhill.

Part of why I was let go was because I protected my team to the point of the pressure point lying with my bottom line. You MUST pull the reigns on Account Managers who may bite off more than they can chew to appease clients. Managers are always the focus for blame, so don't fall victim to the constant piling on from supervisors either. Trust in your team and they'll trust you back.

If you like riding a roller coaster, you'll love Digitas.

I worked at Digitas (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn so much there and have an opportunity to work with some really smart and talented people. The pace is blisteringly fast and often you will feel like you are drowning under so much work. But I also learned a lot from the people there and found that I had what it took to be successful in such a challenging environment. As an alum with 3+ years experience you will find that experience doors open for you because everyone knows that only the strong survive there. You can move up pretty quickly.

Cons

Not a lot of training or support, culture attracts lots of Type A personalities and long hours, and workplace drama. They cut the slackers pretty quickly if you can't swim in the deep end.

Encourage team building and mentoring your teams.

Good quality of life, lots of politics, extremely young corporate culture

I worked at Digitas full-time

Pros

Lots of vacation days, decent work hours allow for work-life balance, calm working environment. Some great big name brands for your resume.

Cons

Managers who don't seem to have been trained in growing employees' strengths and helping to build on their weaknesses, promotions and advancement opportunities based mostly on politics and relationships (but hey, it's an agency, so nothing new), not much opportunity for award-winning or envelope-pushing creativity. Also, the average age seems to be about 26. This is a pro or a con depending on what you're looking for in an office environment.

Allow employees to rate their managers in the 360 review process. Not once was I asked to rate one of my managers, and I had 4 during my time at the company. I was not alone in this observation.

Digitas Photos