Digitas

www.digitaslbi.com
Employer Engaged

good

I have been working at Digitas

Pros

creative friendly creative friendly creative friendly

Cons

too many women too many women

Good Agency But Too Much Restructuring

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Digitas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some of the smartest and most creative people in the ad industry here. A pretty good balance of data-driven vs. creative-driven work. The tension between creative teams and analysts was pretty strong, but I thought it was a good thing for the quality of the work. There was a good amount of learning and development opportunities, a relatively flat organizational structure (could walk into most offices without a meeting being scheduled), and some opportunity for career growth. However, some people definitely felt the last point (opportunities) were few and far between. Work-life balance was good and the agency participated in the community and volunteered often.

Cons

Like any agency, some managers were better at their jobs than others. Raises and promotions seemed to come too infrequently for many people, leading to an unnecessarily high turnover rate. There was also a lot of restructuring for seemingly political reasons. But, for more junior-level employees, I still think this is a good place to work.

Off-cycle promotions and raises, better feedback loops (especially for lower-level employees).

Very corporate

I worked at Digitas full-time

Pros

A huge company with some very very smart people. You will probably learn more than at grad school.

Cons

A very corporate environment with serious hurdles for promotions

re-consider the promotion process.

A former leader that's lost it's luster

Former Employee - Vice President, Group Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President, Group Director in New York, NY

I worked at Digitas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Digitas at its best has a tradition of self-examination, mentoring for new strength, social responsibility and community outreach. It has offered many, including myself, the opportunity to work on large-scale, complex projects with cracker-jack teams.

Cons

Digitas has encountered a new phase, challenged by boutique agencies on one end and by savvier large agencies on the other.

Relying on scale is not enough. Digitas needs to be willing to bet on entirely new avenues of brand promotion, with a willingness to test and learn.

Sr Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Digitas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work community, awesome work/life balance, upward mobility, helpful managers, and plenty of paid time off.

Cons

It's an ad agency so obviously it's driven by the creative capabilities. Finance can feel like you're on an island.

If you like riding a roller coaster, you'll love Digitas.

I worked at Digitas (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn so much there and have an opportunity to work with some really smart and talented people. The pace is blisteringly fast and often you will feel like you are drowning under so much work. But I also learned a lot from the people there and found that I had what it took to be successful in such a challenging environment. As an alum with 3+ years experience you will find that experience doors open for you because everyone knows that only the strong survive there. You can move up pretty quickly.

Cons

Not a lot of training or support, culture attracts lots of Type A personalities and long hours, and workplace drama. They cut the slackers pretty quickly if you can't swim in the deep end.

Encourage team building and mentoring your teams.

Great potential but creativity lost to industry competition.

Current Employee - Manager, Project Management in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager, Project Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at Digitas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company has a lot of perks; great benefits, young crowd, Thur/Fri tap room, they provide snacks, top of the line hardware/software, and don't be afraid to ask for well more than what you're worth.

Cons

If you're able to enjoy the perks, you're lucky..constant nose-to-the-grindstone billable time makes for long hours and high expectations. Managers are high stress and will put a lot of pressure on the team, so be cautious what you can promise. Also give managers SOME credit, the pressure is just rolling downhill.

Part of why I was let go was because I protected my team to the point of the pressure point lying with my bottom line. You MUST pull the reigns on Account Managers who may bite off more than they can chew to appease clients. Managers are always the focus for blame, so don't fall victim to the constant piling on from supervisors either. Trust in your team and they'll trust you back.

Good quality of life, lots of politics, extremely young corporate culture

I worked at Digitas full-time

Pros

Lots of vacation days, decent work hours allow for work-life balance, calm working environment. Some great big name brands for your resume.

Cons

Managers who don't seem to have been trained in growing employees' strengths and helping to build on their weaknesses, promotions and advancement opportunities based mostly on politics and relationships (but hey, it's an agency, so nothing new), not much opportunity for award-winning or envelope-pushing creativity. Also, the average age seems to be about 26. This is a pro or a con depending on what you're looking for in an office environment.

Allow employees to rate their managers in the 360 review process. Not once was I asked to rate one of my managers, and I had 4 during my time at the company. I was not alone in this observation.

Account Executive

I worked at Digitas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people! The energy! The dedication to work/life balance. There will be long days (as with any agency) but vacation days are abundant. :)

Cons

Salary and room for advancement. It can take years to get a promotion -- due to the way they cycle promotions.

Politics, Incompetence, Politics

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Digitas full-time

Pros

- Easily accessible location in Boston
    - Bagel Fridays, Beer on tap (woo?)
    - Nice benefits stack. (Thanks French Culture & Maurice)
    - Very (book) smart people (for the most part)

Cons

- Terrible work/life balance. I often find myself at the office past 10pm more than 1 day a week. The co-workers that don't stay late are working weekends. Managers know this, but nothing is ever done about it. In fact, a typical response would be something like "oh... that sucks."
    - Severe lack of communication within and between departments. You're expected to know your job function and nuances of your account from day 1 - without asking questions. Asking questions assumes incompetence.
    - Culture of Fear. Managers are afraid to say no to clients, leading to an overload of fickle work and the terrible work/life balance I mentioned above.
    - Politics, politics, politics. Managers are promoted based on two factors: 1) length of employment at digitas and 2) the ability to suck up to the SVPs. It's also very clear who the favorites are. The new 360-degree review system is a joke - employees develop their own goals with their manager, but are actually assessed with totally different criteria. It's like that one time your professor outlined the final exam, but blindsided the class with something completely different.
    - Politics gets in the way of good work. If data seems negative or inconclusive, managers will push hard to spin it positively so clients are kept happy. Understandable, but this leads to a severe lack of transparency.
    - Internal politics are even worse. Ex-pats are blamed for systematic incompetencies. HR and many, many level of the management team (!) contribute to the politics by perpetuating rumors about current and past employees. Boston and Chicago teams resent each other for no good reason other than it's difficult to work with a remote team.
    - Do NOT buy into the "Ad Agency A List" or "Best Places to Work" list BS. HR hand-selects the reviews. Employees are spammed with pre-written submissions to send away to the award panels.
    - The mandatory parties and outings. Enough said.

- Train. Your. Managers. Not just in managing people, but projects and teams.
    - Really think critically about how to optimize client workflow and how to utilize each team members' strengths
    - Promote people on level of competency, not years of service

Digitas Photos