Dignity Memorial

Updated October 1, 2014
Updated October 1, 2014
2.4

Gorge Cotte

The company is ever changing. SCI is the largest network of funeral and cemeteries in the nation.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in DFW, TX

I worked at Dignity Memorial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have a large network of funeral and cemeteries to work for. Great benefits and strong company.

Cons

The Dallas area has a lot of turn over. It can not keep employees due to the ever demand of working non paid hours due to do call nights and sales mertings. You do not get paid extra for this and takes away from a time to schedule an appointment with a family. You are 100 percent commission and the commission has been cut over the past two years. If you are starting in the business for the first time i recommend a 6 month training. With a base pay or draw. It takes a while to get licensed and you do not get paid for the sale until you are licensed your manager writes the contract and pays you 100.00. Not worth the gas or time. Also if you like micro management then this is the place for you. Again even though your commission only you are mandatory to attend all meeting and call nights. Because you are not a 1099 they are able to hold you to spend many hours a week without pay. You also have a 35,000 quota per month. Pay on this us less than 2000 a month. family service is paid an hour of 7.75 per hour but if you sell more then your paid commission however your commission is now cut in half. Plus your doing all the extra work plus call nights and sales meetings. It is too much for less pay. My guess is they don't like sales people very much cause they don't pay what other companies do and for such a large corporation you would think they would pay top commissions. Independent reps are paid well over 16% and up and have just as much benefits with wining trips, training and recongition. Sad thing is Sci is the majority of the business now.

Pay your counselors and or sales people what they are worth. Little pay for more work is why you can't keep anyone. Pay like the independent reps they are worth it, making you money. Also quit with the micro management. We are all grown ups and know what we need to do to be successful. If we are not selling we are not making money. When i am not that is when i need help but i don't need you micromanaging the process.

Great concept but greed is the real passion, not people

Current Employee - Family Service Advisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Family Service Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Dignity Memorial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Provide ways for people to make prearranging final wishes a little easier.

Cons

As a Family Service Advisor you are paid minimum wage for a job that at a minimum should be $40,000.00 for the multitude of positions within the one.
    Sales, sales, sales is all you are critiqued on. One could have a 400 average survry JD Powers score, as long as you bring in th checks.
    Th commissions paid on sales is insulting. Before SCI (parent company of Dignity), counselors were paid 20% for every property sale;however, now counselors are paid 9% AFTER the minimum wage earning is covered, thus making the position COMMISSIONS ONLY.
    There is no residual paid. So, on all the prearranged (PreNeeded) contracts the company makes money over and over because there is no immediate deliverable.

Become more humane when it comes to the face of the company, the Family Service Advisors. Many of your counselors are committed to the service and mission of this company but can barely buy a Happy Meal for lunch.
    If this company doesn't do right by its employees, continue in its greed and fail to pay accordingly, SCI will crumble.

career path or leads funnel?

I have been working at Dignity Memorial

Pros

People-oriented job with potential over the long haul for the right person-- if they can last that long. Dignity Memorial provides a true service. They are doing an increasingly good job on their marketing.

Cons

The very nature of the job puts you in the position of getting your clients to focus on death; not easy. I was a little shocked when I found out part of the reason I was asked to interview was to try to sell to my mediation clients; considered a major professional no-no.

Provide a more compelling yet clear and honest story on what it takes to be successful for those starting off. When I probed and did the math on sales versus hours and commission, it didn't sound like it penciled out that well based on their "best example" (ironically of an employee who was no longer there). Is there a profile of successful traits? Focus on hiring those folks unless hiring really is a means for filling the leads funnel for their surviving employees.

These guys are from Texas...if you like cowboys, you're at the right place.

Current Employee - Community Service Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Community Service Advisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Dignity Memorial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Big company, big name. Good 401 K participation. Lots of nice printed, collateral materials. Can serve customers in a number of locations.

Cons

Big company, big name. Top heavy with upper-level management. Not so great with lower level, on-the-street managerial help and direction. No mileage reimbursement. Perks are becoming few and far-between, except for the few elite advisors. Gift cards are banned for employees!

Get rid of all the upper-level talking heads and send the savings down to the low-level, revenue producers in the form of pay and incentives. Please, reimburse us for mileage expenses!

Worthy Work

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Dignity Memorial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Rewarding work helping families prepare for and organize funerals and cemetery memorial services. You meet a broad spectrum of families whose needs and resources vary, so it can be a chance to be creative and compassionate in the same situation. A real sense of accomplishment and worth can be had by helping families both at time of need and in preparing for the future. Commissions, bonuses, and incentives are among the best I have encountered in 12 years of providing funeral preplanning/insurance.

Cons

Some emotionally draining work- dealing with death and grief. Tough building up a pool of prospects for pre-planning, but if you focus on taking care of the families you work with, referrals will result- just don't for get to ask for them! Can be difficult working weekends and holidays, but if you have the mindset that this is a vital service that you are offering to families, it can be a very fulfilling career. Low base pay and no residual commissions.

Train and mentor new counselors to give them a running start. As you recruit, focus on the serving families first, then the trust will lead to sales relationships.

Unproductive unprofessional work environment

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Dignity Memorial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting work. A glimpse of local history.

Cons

If you are used to working independently you are in for a big adjustment. You will micro-managed ad nauseum. Any mistakes will be embellished and re-told endlessly. You may or not get the training you need.
    A very high maintenance sales manager will require at least two hours/day sitting in her office chatting and checking in before and after each customer interaction, bathroom or meal break or to work in a different location of the building temporarily.
    When you need to leave the building to sell or canvas sales for pre-need cemetery property , if one of the customers you've been working with shows up unexpectedly the sales manager will give the sale to one of her favorites. You end up spending far too much time protecting your sales-in-progress leads. The thinking is that if you didn't close the first time, it is fair game for anyone else.
    While this is a commission job you'll have to do all of the work associated with someone else's pre-need sales when the family shows up in the future if that is your assigned day. This is justified by giving you the opportunity to sell the other members of the family. Most times the family does not need anymore property, is not interested in being buried in the future or is savvy to buying property much less expensively out of the paper. Many of the highest producing sales "counselors" will stay at the customer's home until they get a check or will keep the family at the funeral home until they've sold them.
    During your in-home sales calls you're expected to answer your phone promptly (another unreimbursed expense along with gas costs) to discuss anything that comes up at the office...while you are discussing the pending death of a family member and trying to sell them cemetery property.
    Yes, Carolina is under new leadership, but I can't see how the culture would change with all the same people working there and in charge locally.

The past was great. Not so good now.

I have been working at Dignity Memorial

Pros

Flexible schedule. There is some money to be made, maybe.

Cons

Management is not worker friendly. Micromanagement. Potential for income is not as good as it used to be.

Less micro-management. Need managers that are actually willing to go into the field with people. More positive feedback is needed. If you are going to require meetings then teach something good. Integrate family service and community service instead of encouraging them to fight , steal and distrust each other. Phone nights are of the past. People don't accept or appreciate cold calling anymore. Society is burnt out on cold calls. Make our prices and packages more competitive. We charge the most and our buildings have mold, leaks and other damage?????

Great Company Satisfying job

I have been working at Dignity Memorial

Pros

Helping families through their most difficult moments.

Cons

A lot of work that doesn't pay....but it brings future business

Disappointing employment experience

Current Employee - Community Service Counselor in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Community Service Counselor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Dignity Memorial full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people to work with; opportunity to help clients during a difficult time in their lives; Overall nice working conditions

Cons

Poor, inexperienced leadership; very focused on revenue at the expense of customer service or ultimate concern

Take the time to develop or hire decent managers

This is a great company, providing very important pre-need and at-need services.

Former Employee - Pre-planning Advisor in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Pre-planning Advisor in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Dignity Memorial as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The best part of working as a pre-planning advisor for Dignity was the peace of mind I was able to bring to the families I advised. I was proud to offer my pre-planning families quality services and products at substantial discounts as well as extra free benefits. The commission rates are good, and it's really nice to be partially reimbursed for expenses and to have all of my marketing collateral provided free of charge.

Cons

The hardest part of this job is getting the appointment. Funerals and cemeteries are not something people want to talk about. And it's even more difficult for them to commit to financially. Unlike most products and services, there is no immediate enjoyment or benefit to be had. As a result, there is a very low closing ratio. The average advisor works long hours, most weekends and holidays for not much money.

You should consider expanding the minimum-wage training stipend from 30 days to 60 or 90 with partial commission. It would allow new advisors to focus on field-training, while removing some of the performance anxiety. Also, I think hiring or contracting a telephone-marketing unit to set and confirm appointments would be a huge help to advisors.

Dignity Memorial Photos