Dignity Memorial

Updated February 23, 2015
Updated February 23, 2015
2.4

Gorge Cotte

Company and pay as a whole

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Dignity Memorial

Pros

The benefits of this company are great. The payout for your hard work for selling is also great. With any job, with time management and the amount of effort that you put into something is what you will get out of it. You also get a good feeling about helping families in their time of need and preparation for their pre planning.

Cons

The only con is I didn't find this position sooner.

Accountability

Not what you are told .

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Dignity Memorial full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pros are you are in an environment where you are able to help families in their time of need ! It's something you can really feel good about !

Cons

Told you will make one amount during training (not true ) told you will work 2 Sunday a month (not true ) the company is too bogged down with families not allowing anytime for proper training !

Start a training program ! Quit setting good people who want succeed up for failure !

I really enjoyed helping people gain peace of mind through pre planning. As a veteran I especially enjoyed helping other

Current Employee - Pre Planner in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Pre Planner in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Dignity Memorial

Pros

Excellent marketing resources and products.

Cons

100% commission plan requires a ridiculous number of transactions every month in order to earn even a moderate income.

Require 3 hours a day in-office for training, outreach & followup, and PAY a decent hourly for that time. Not only will agents be better trained and supervised, they'll have a minimum base income that can be depended on.

Greedy

I worked at Dignity Memorial

Pros

Helping families at thier time of need

Cons

Long hours
    Low pay
    You are only as good as your last sale

System is broke
    Fix it

Suckered by a Sales Manager

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor

I worked at Dignity Memorial full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Truly, the only job I have ever had where I can list NONE!

Cons

Where do I begin. I was hired as a Family Service Counselor. It was not about Counseling, Families or Service to say the least. I was told in my hiring interview that I would be "Fed" 40 leads a month and that they did "Seminars" regularly at expo type setups. . On my first day, I was told to go through the existing customer files and pull out potential sales by seeing what they had not already bought. After I went through 30 files and got names and what they lacked, I was told by the same manager "These are your hot leads." I said, these are the 40 leads you told me I would be "Fed"? She handed me a list of folks that had answered a mailer for free information to be mailed to them and told me to call and set appointments to drop the info by. The folks, and I mean ALL of them angrily said they did not want a visit...THEY WANTED TO BE MAILED THE INFO AS THEY ASKED! She then handed me a Cold Call List and let it rip. Cold Calling someone for Funeral Planning scared one person nearly to death. The rest were not going to pony up the thousands needed for pre-planning from a cold call...NOT ONE! I asked about the "Seminars" and she said, "We don't really do those here!" After hundreds of call over 2 weeks, I quit and she was shocked. When I told her that I wanted the seminars and real leads she majically said they had 2 seminars the next month...YEAH RIGHT! I went to a car dealer that with no experience and by the Grace of God sold a car my 1st day on the floor. I sold 5 my 1st week. 5 cars. That is a real sales job!

Give real leads, let the FSC position actually sale and not use them as labor for all the extras you don't hire people to do.

Disgusting, Infuriating, Completely Oblivious

I have been working at Dignity Memorial full-time

Pros

When everything goes right for a family, it's a good feeling to know you had a part in making that happen. The benefits the company provides to families who make arrangements with them are hard to beat if not impossible.

Medical plans are good, as is sick time accrual, and they have a high employer match rate for 401K's.

Cons

Severely low wages across the board for the amount of work and experience asked for. Promotions are not based on merit but who you know and where you stand with them socially.

Inside sales (Family Service) gets paid minimum wage and takes on the work of 3 or 4 different departments (customer service, at need arranging, administrative work, contract processing). Commission structures for Family service so convoluted most people don't even know how they get paid, but the paychecks make it clear the structure doesn't pay much. I really pity Family Service because the terrible culture of the company results in poor service to the families, and Family Service takes all the hits and is held accountable for shortfalls that are often out of their control. The company is so sales oriented that the frustration in the sales departments effects everyone.

Management is typically unprofessional - either micro-managerial and overbearing or indifferent so everything goes to hell with nothing being done.

If you're on the sales side there is NO work/life balance. You can put your blood,sweat, and tears into the job and come out with nothing even if you're doing everything right. If you complain to your boss about changing the way things are you become a pariah and risk getting booted. Nobody wants to hear that things are being run terribly or that employees or unhappy so they just ignore it.

For any job besides sales, this may be a good job for a college grad or someone with no work experience as a starting point. They'll get alot of work experience. ONLY seasoned and aggressive sales professionals can do sales here and make money. Not for the timid or entry level unless you've got a ton of savings that will allow you to work for up to 2 years making little more than minimum wage.

Stop being so greedy and pay your workers decently! A lot of people work very hard for this company and for the families and in return they get more work, an insulting paycheck, and no growth potential unless they know how to brown-nose.

Also invest more in RETAINING employees. Turnover is appalling.

Its all what you make of it

Current Employee - PPA in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - PPA in DFW, TX

I have been working at Dignity Memorial full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The amount of effort and time you invest directly supports your return. If you expect an easy buck keep looking for another job.
    This job is about sales, but the business is to protect families.

Cons

This job is not for everyone. It requires discipline, organization and your time. It is not 9 to 5 or for the weak minded. Good luck

Take care of your salespeople. They are where the rubber meets the road.

Greedy and mean

Current Employee - Removel Tecj in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Removel Tecj in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Dignity Memorial part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are nice some times

Cons

Underpaid to the extreme I made less the when I works at a hot dog stand there all about bottem line and sales

Care about familys and empolyes and not money and ratings

The company is ever changing. SCI is the largest network of funeral and cemeteries in the nation.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in DFW, TX

I worked at Dignity Memorial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have a large network of funeral and cemeteries to work for. Great benefits and strong company.

Cons

The Dallas area has a lot of turn over. It can not keep employees due to the ever demand of working non paid hours due to do call nights and sales mertings. You do not get paid extra for this and takes away from a time to schedule an appointment with a family. You are 100 percent commission and the commission has been cut over the past two years. If you are starting in the business for the first time i recommend a 6 month training. With a base pay or draw. It takes a while to get licensed and you do not get paid for the sale until you are licensed your manager writes the contract and pays you 100.00. Not worth the gas or time. Also if you like micro management then this is the place for you. Again even though your commission only you are mandatory to attend all meeting and call nights. Because you are not a 1099 they are able to hold you to spend many hours a week without pay. You also have a 35,000 quota per month. Pay on this us less than 2000 a month. family service is paid an hour of 7.75 per hour but if you sell more then your paid commission however your commission is now cut in half. Plus your doing all the extra work plus call nights and sales meetings. It is too much for less pay. My guess is they don't like sales people very much cause they don't pay what other companies do and for such a large corporation you would think they would pay top commissions. Independent reps are paid well over 16% and up and have just as much benefits with wining trips, training and recongition. Sad thing is Sci is the majority of the business now.

Pay your counselors and or sales people what they are worth. Little pay for more work is why you can't keep anyone. Pay like the independent reps they are worth it, making you money. Also quit with the micro management. We are all grown ups and know what we need to do to be successful. If we are not selling we are not making money. When i am not that is when i need help but i don't need you micromanaging the process.

career path or leads funnel?

I have been working at Dignity Memorial

Pros

People-oriented job with potential over the long haul for the right person-- if they can last that long. Dignity Memorial provides a true service. They are doing an increasingly good job on their marketing.

Cons

The very nature of the job puts you in the position of getting your clients to focus on death; not easy. I was a little shocked when I found out part of the reason I was asked to interview was to try to sell to my mediation clients; considered a major professional no-no.

Provide a more compelling yet clear and honest story on what it takes to be successful for those starting off. When I probed and did the math on sales versus hours and commission, it didn't sound like it penciled out that well based on their "best example" (ironically of an employee who was no longer there). Is there a profile of successful traits? Focus on hiring those folks unless hiring really is a means for filling the leads funnel for their surviving employees.

Dignity Memorial Photos