Diligent Boardbooks Reviews

3.3
Brian Stafford

1. Great place to work

I have been working at Diligent Boardbooks

Pros

Great group of people who are passionate about what they do! I genuinely look forward to work every day. Diligent provides great resources and amazing perks to it's employees.

Cons

None off the top of my head.

2. Can you handle fast paced development cycles, high pay, and amazing work life balance?

I have been working at Diligent Boardbooks full-time

Pros

The Charlotte office is brand new and was created as a way to find new talent where other markets are tapped out.

The culture and atmosphere is unheard of in Charlotte. The culture that Diligent is trying to foster is much better than a Bank or a Startup. Diligent is the new hip and cool tech company to work for in Charlotte.

Software engineers have full autonomy and accountability on the projects you are working on. With this comes with a lot of responsibility and the management team is willing to get you whatever you need in order for you to succeed: laptops, training, books, online references, software, servers, etc. are all no issue to procure and will arrive in a few days.

There is zero micro management. It’s all on the team; nobody is going to save you… there is a ton to learn! Make sure you can walk-the-walk when you get hired, if you talk-the-talk in the interview.

I believe the management and leads really do want a team environment and foster a place to work for many years to come.

The dev manager is very personable and has a great strategy for dealing with crazy business requirements and wacky timelines.

Very talented and great people to work with.

Cons

The business requirements that come down from the product owner and business analyst are sometimes insane. Be prepared to work closely with the business analyst and product owner to guide them on areas to improve the workflow and user experience of the products.

For some of you long timers in the industry, there are some very talented engineers that are young and haven’t been in the industry long. With this comes the potential for some immaturity in some areas, but it isn’t anything that mentoring can’t fix. Take a deep breath, keep your composure and do the best you can to help them see the light; at the same time, don’t discount them, you need to keep an open mind too.

Some of the developers don’t know how good they have it. Like I said above they are young and while very talented, in some areas ignorant to the fact they’re at an amazing company.

Advice to Management

Ensure the team knows the company’s values and goals.
    Grow leaders.
    Continue to find the best talent.
    Focus more on mentoring.
    Keep an eye out for a bigger office.

Could be a great place to work

Current Employee - Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Developer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Diligent Boardbooks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company offers great pay for the Charlotte area.
    It also offers a great opportunity to work with and learn new technologies.

Cons

Manager doesn't foster team atmosphere.
    Manager has his favorite workers who are running things but may not have the best ideas.
    The business lack the ability to decide what need to be done with the product under development.
    Manager wants the development team to makeup for the lack of decision making by the business by working long hours.

Advice to Management

Learn to be a good manager by fostering a team atmosphere. Stop focusing on trying to get ahead in the company by stomping on people and try to do it by getting the Charlotte office to work together as a team and start performing. Be firm with the business when decisions need to be made.

Too many mid-level managers

Current Employee - QA Engineer
    Current Employee - QA Engineer

I have been working at Diligent Boardbooks

Pros

The company has a whole has the perks of a start-up and tries to achieve team cohesiveness through fun events

Cons

Sometimes these aspects are lost in intradepartment politics where those with Senior are really movers and shakers. The Managers are mostly just talking heads. I guess this is a customary thing but had to note it out

Advice to Management

Stop playing poltics and destroying your departments unity though playing favorites.

Go big or go home

I have been working at Diligent Boardbooks full-time

Pros

Diligent offers great work/life balance. For the most part, I work with a great, innovative group of people. I would love to see more female executives genuinely welcomed into the company and less nepotism, but this is a company that started small and built organically-- which basically means that yes, they did hire qualified family and friends. But they're qualified. And they work hard.

I'm one of the young, attractive girls and I actually am very smart. Being attractive and being smart are not mutually exclusive. If you are willing to do the work with dignity, poise and passion, you will be noticed, rewarded and promoted.

The management that has been there for the last four years is nothing short of amazing from the top down. Diligent offers all of the benefits of a start up, but with the benefits and stability of a large institution. I have watched people get passed up for promotions. I've watched them become bitter-- but they are the "not my department" people. They don't want to do the work and they don't seem to notice how good we have it.

I have nothing but accolades for the CEO who leads by example every single day.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a little too casual and the same people in some departments would offend even the crudest of people

Advice to Management

Reviews have gotten better and better each year. They are more action oriented. Please keep this up. Keep your eyes and ears open to see who is practicing what they preach when speaking to clients. More lateral opportunities and the ability to move into other departments would be nice.

7. self centered brain dead greedy executives

I worked at Diligent Boardbooks

Pros

none, really, a paycheck, Ok I have to enter 5 more words, I did.

Cons

don't bother going to work here, unless, you are a full fledged old and fat sheep who just wants to pass the time till retirement or death, whichever comes first. Management is greedy, and protecting their turf, not really interested in moving the company anywhere, other than their own pocket!

Advice to Management

quit

8. Best Place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Diligent Boardbooks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is great - a very modern work place environment with extremely intelligent and motivated employees. You can tell that people are happy to come into work each day.. The company is very generous with money - they pay excellent base salaries and the bonus amounts are unheard of in this area of North Carolina. The CTO is one of the most hands on and approachable executives I've ever worked with...he makes it a point to talk to everyone in the office and actually cares what people are concerned about. And then he actually takes steps to do whatever is needed based on the conversations he's had.

Cons

I don't have any at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Employees in the Charlotte office are enjoying their work life...

Great new direction

Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Diligent Boardbooks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has really changed over the last year. Moved into beautiful new offices in December, added all new great benefits in January, lots of parties and fun interaction with coworkers. It's obvious that some with the new management that the company has a renewed understanding of what is important to employees. The new HR guy is hilarious and has really added a needed spark.

Cons

Not many. The company is unevenly focused on personal growth, based on each manager, but as with many growth stage companies there are hiccups and not everyone will be pleased if they are passed up for opportunities. Some of those employees are vocal behind closed doors and should probably look for other work where their complaints are actually valid.

Advice to Management

Continue the improvements you have started. The seeds are here for a truly amazing workplace. Communicate the vision on a more regular basis.

I have been working at Diligent Boardbooks

Pros

They overpay; job security ; nice co-workers; nice parties, nice mid-town office, dress casually, very nice mixture of nationalities from all over the world; no stress, no over time , very laid back.

Cons

No career path, or upward mobility available for staff. The job upper management does best, is keeping their jobs. No corporate strategy or mission, no corporate meetings, no sharing of information, very secretive, probably half the people don't really know what we sell. People at the top stay at the top. Dictatorship run by the President and his sidekick, the Chairman of the Board. It's a love fest, ensuring they stay in power and rake in the dough. It's a boys club. Oh, except for under qualified and overpaid friends and families. Oh, and there is one actual female executive. Oh, and there are a lot of young, good looking girls who were hired because they are very, very smart.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone who has been there more than 3 years, specifically upper management. Start over , start fresh with intelligent, professional, experienced people who have vision and clarity of thought and actually want to work hard to succeed. In other words, get rid of those who have already succeeded and make room for new blood.

Focussed on growth, but not yours.

I have been working at Diligent Boardbooks full-time

Pros

Money. They are doing well and are generous with salary and commissions. The product is excellent and there is a solid and rapidly growing client base.

Cons

Don't ask for anything else. There is no flexibility, no support and no room for professional growth. The physical space is terrible, adding to a low-quality work environment.

Advice to Management

Start being more employee-focussed. Consider the benefit happy employees will contribute to the bottom line. Allow flexible scheduling and working from home. Add mid-level managerial support of large teams.

RSS Feed </> Embed