Dillard's

Dillard's Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Dillard's Chairman and CEO Bill Dillard II

Bill Dillard II

Pros
  • the employee discount was good especially during additional discounts(in 136 reviews)

• Great starting pay that lasted exactly 6 months till first review period(in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Forced to resign before being "let go" due to outrageous daily sales goals(in 115 reviews)

• The pay starts of decent but when you don't meet your sales goals you can get a pay cut or fired(in 75 reviews)

Terrible experience

Prosemployee discount was a nice perk

Consunrealistic sales goals and way too many sales associates working at one time

Advice to Senior Managementget a clue

Hard Work Gets You Nowhere

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe department I worked in stayed somewhat busy, competitive pay, the occasional customer that enjoys being followed around like a puppy-dog sniffing out sales...

ConsMoral is low, hostile environment, hard-to-reach SPH, competition for customers, little training, competition for time off, no time off during the holidays (seriously that's wrong), discount is only if you apply for the Dillard's card, high-turn around

Advice to Senior ManagementGive discount regardless of owning a Dillard's card, give time off regardless of being a part-time or full-time associate, pretend to care about the well-being of your staff, encourage sales without penalizing for not achieving the high SPH, MAKE PEOPLE WANT TO STAY AT YOUR STORE.

Not enough company support to succeed

Stylist (Former Employee) Little Rock, AR

ProsIn the field of cosmetology it is nearly impossible to find a salon that will offer a benefits package for their stylists. I liked the security of working for a corporation with a stable HR dept.
    There were required breaks and lunches for stylists. Guests and customers were able to use their Dillard's credit card for purchases and services in the salon.

ConsNot enough support from the GM and Dillard's corporate office to be successful. There were constant maintenance issues that were put on the back burner and left for us (the salon staff) to "deal with". Old fashioned appointment booking by using an actual book and pencil. The turnover rate was very high and the majority of clients commented on the location of the salon being hard to find. The salon has a poor reputation for botching clients hair due to the lack of continued education.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet yourselves up for success by supporting your salon team and advertise.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great job for some who is motivated by unrealistic expectations and doesn't enjoy personal time.

Cosmetic Counter Manager (Former Employee) Plano, TX

Pros25% discount, bonus discount days--all combinable with their big sale days. You're selling quality products.

ConsSales projections/expectations are not realistic. They hold stores in dilapidated malls to the same sales standards as those in neighboring metroplexes that are thriving! I witnessed so much unethical behavior by people who were petrified that their pay would be cut at their next review. No weekends off either. Not worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdopt realistic goals based on each store. Understand that certain stores get only a fraction of the traffic that other stores do and there is nothing that sales associates can do about that. Conversion rates might be something more realistic to base performance off of.

I truly enjoyed the work experience with co-workers. A great crew.

Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsLots of great employees to work with.

ConsPrivately owned company that doesn't keep up with the times. Good employees seem to have no value.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't punish employees for things that are beyond their control; i.e. no advertising, lack of customers.

Just a paycheck until you find something better.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsYou get paid every week.
    You start off on a good pay rate.
    You can pick your schedule.
    Great discount.

ConsThe sales quotas are too high to make.
    There's a lot of downtime.
    Company values are not great.
    The work-life balance can be challenging, if you're not used to working retail
    Retail hours.
    The store is out of date and so is the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees and see what their concerns are.

Good management experience, but only if you get on someone's good side

AREA SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsOpportunity for growth, a lot of potential experience if you're in a big market. Decent discount. Good pay for associates.

ConsRampant negativity, never get a "thank you" or "well done" unless it's a backhanded compliment. Not very good health benefits, especially for families.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect and they will work hard for you. There is no need to constantly ask for more and threaten jobs to get people to do work.

Great way to build your resume and learn about the business.

Buyer (Current Employee) Little Rock, AR

ProsGreat exposure and quick advancement.

ConsTop down organization. No HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider getting an HR department. A lot of unprofessionalism happens and there's not much you can do about it.

Teaches you a great work ethic.

AREA SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsTeaches you a great work ethic. If you work hard you will succeed.

ConsThis is not a 40 hr week job.

The Right Place To Be!!!

Selling Business Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsMedical-401K-25% off discount-1hr lunch break- Great holiday hours- Good people- And most of all a great experience with retail and responsibility. All the needs a company should have.

ConsNot really any, just do your job and be productive, positive, know your CAD, credit apps, and Sell with a smile.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust make everyone feel they are wanted.

Worked for Dillard's? Contribute to the Community!