Dillard's Reviews

Reset
2.5
Dillard's Chairman and CEO Bill Dillard II
Bill Dillard II

Pros
  • the pay is good the holiday hours or regular not crazy (in 63 reviews)

• the employee discount was good especially during additional discounts (in 155 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay starts of decent but when you don't meet your sales goals you can get a pay cut or fired (in 157 reviews)

• I can't imagine working there for so long to get pay cut after (in 83 reviews)

1,558 Employee Reviews

Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Store Hours, Decent Pay (as far as retail jobs go), hour-long lunches, employee discounts.

Cons

Outdated computer systems, geriatric merchandise buyers (particularly in the home and lingerie departments) buying tacky/hideous/outdated/unsexy merchandise, managers who either micromanage or won't leave their office, misleading information given during the interview process regarding scheduling and the ability to "choose which department" you end up in. I'm a passionate, hard worker. During training, I was placed in a department that I was originally nervous about, but excelled in. I really loved that department and fell in love with it. I was so excited to work at Dillard's and I was consistently selling more than $250/hr in said department. I let my boss know that I definitely wanted to be in that department and told her how much I loved it. She put me in a few other departments. I think she thought I would do well in one of them, but I absolutely hated it. Finally, at the end of the training, imagine my surprise when I was placed in a department I hadn't ever even stepped foot into. I saw my $250/hr sales average plummet to nearly $40/hr. It was a horrible fit. I tried talking to management about it, and was ignored. I've really been trying to make the most out of it, but there is no money to be made in the deadest, most outdated section of the store. Most of our "customers" just took a wrong turn on their way to the bathroom. They claim to pay "the big bucks" but it is only "the big bucks" to someone who has never actually made "the big bucks". Managers and employees can be very catty at times.

Advice to Management

Don't force employees to force credit applications on customers when it is a hard inquiry to their credit and causes adverse consequences. Offer more than a measly 10% off shopping pass that costs $750 to earn. Listen to trainees when they tell you which department they want to be in; an unhappy worker is never good for business, even when they try to make the most of a bad situation. Don't mislead job candidates with promises you don't intend to keep. Be more honest in the hiring process. Strive to be more competitive with Nordstrom and Macy's - offering discounts only to cardholders when most people are wary of credit cards is not going to make you more competitive. It will, however, drive those customers to shop online at places like amazon.com or Nordstrom. Upgrade computer systems and company website. Hire younger and more diversified buyers who are in tune with local culture and the modern generation. Conduct audits to see what isn't selling at a store instead of sending tons of something that just ends up piling up and collecting dust. SPH should be calculated by actual dollars in sales. Sales Associates should not be penalized for selling merchandise that has been marked down. If your buyers had better taste and you offered more competitive pricing, it would have sold when it was brand-new and would not need to have been marked down.

2. Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dillard's strives to make the customer the most important part of the retail equation. They give their sales people proper training and resources to reach their goals.

Cons

The management needs to work on improving their communication.

Advice to Management

Needs improvement on Communication

3. Enjoyed

I worked at Dillard's

Pros

I worked at Dillard's part time to earn some additional income and enjoyed working with the team.

Cons

Sales goals were sometimes difficult to meet.

5. Great work Enviorment, awesome Employees

Former Employee - Dock Worker in Dunwoody, GA
    Former Employee - Dock Worker in Dunwoody, GA

I worked at Dillard's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that work at the stores are what really make the work day so much better. I was a Dock worker part-time as I was going to school. While the job itself could be up or down on any given day, the people really make the place shine. The company provides benefits to it's full-time employees and rewards hard work.

Cons

I had very few bad experiences while working here. The majority of the time the bad experiences stemmed from customer interaction as they could be somewhat rude to a Dock worker, as most don't understand that it is an integral job to the store as a whole.

Advice to Management

Continue to treat the workers with respect and most in turn will give respect right back. Respect between employees and management is integral to a positive work environment.

6. Great job for retail

Current Employee - Jewelry/Watches Sales Associate in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Jewelry/Watches Sales Associate in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules and great pay for the retail industry. Awesome co-workers to be working with. The daily interaction with customers was always enjoyable.

Cons

Having to work every weekend and some holidays.

7. Cosmetic associ

Current Employee - Area Manager Cosmetics in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Area Manager Cosmetics in Akron, OH

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great hours great pay easy to hire

Cons

pressure from management to get sales goal in

Advice to Management

come up with better training sessions to get associates more motivated

8. Ladies love shoes

I worked at Dillard's

Pros

I worked in Women's Shoes. I had a salary base plus I was able to make commission, whereas some retail places it's one or the other.

Cons

I had worked every weekend.

Advice to Management

Get to know your people. Now matter how big or small the store may be at least know the names and faces of the people who you employ.

9. Competitive

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Temple, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Temple, TX

I worked at Dillard's (Less than a year)

Pros

Good starting pay rate
    Opportunities to move up

Cons

Very competitive environment may create hostility among employees

10. salary

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice enviroment, good rewards, associate discounts

Cons

You will work Under pressure

Loved this job, hated the quotas

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Dillard's

Pros

Employee's get first dibs on Sale and Clearance merchandise and the employee discount on top of sale and clearance prices is amazing! The extra discount days where your employee discount can be as much as 50% is fantastic. Part Time employees usually (not always) have the flexibility to choose their own hours.

Cons

Everyone I have ever spoke to about working at Dillard's has the same complaint. Their sales quotas are ridiculously high and unattainable. If you don't make your sales quotas you can count on being terminated in about 9 months after you start working there, if your lucky a year.

Advice to Management

Rework your quotas and you could have a base of long term employees.

Showing 1,558 of 1,568 reviews