Dillard's Reviews

Reset
2.5
Dillard's Chairman and CEO Bill Dillard II
Bill Dillard II

Pros
  • the pay is good the holiday hours or regular not crazy (in 63 reviews)

• the employee discount was good especially during additional discounts (in 155 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay starts of decent but when you don't meet your sales goals you can get a pay cut or fired (in 157 reviews)

• I can't imagine working there for so long to get pay cut after (in 83 reviews)

1,551 Employee Reviews

1. selling specialist

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great starting pay. They is a chance of moving up quick if you are white.

Cons

You have to week every weekend including during the week with one day or two off. They have unresonable quotas that you are required to meet. If you don't meet these quotes , there is a chance that you will get fired or a pay cut. I can go on for days with negative things about this company.

Advice to Management

Management is so poor. They have no respect for their employers, they are very racist departing on the area you work for. They stare and never say hello to the workers. I believe that managers will not get better because when Bill Dillard himself comes for visits his stores, he acts the same way.

2. Cosmetic Manager

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in North Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in North Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Dillard's

Pros

Weekend traffic , centrally located

Cons

Location is in poor demographic. Mall is deterated. High crime area does not attract evening shopper. Poor staffing and poor security.

Advice to Management

Raise rate of pay to meet economic growth. This will create
    Employee loyalty and stabilize career growth within company.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to pretzel place in the mall

Cons

Boring with unrealistic sales expectations

Advice to Management

Get real

Distribution

Former Employee - Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Manager in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Dillard's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location, it's a job. There a no really good pros to this company. I wish there were, but unfortunately there arent any, It is really sad.

Cons

I hope that there are people from Dillard's reading this: I feel that this company is not only bad, but terrible. If I could list all of the things that go against this company, then I would have the next Harry Potter series on paper.

I have been mistreated, misguided, called-out for no reason, been looked-down upon and judged for inconsistencies that do not reflect my ethic as a worker. I was a manager and the people that are at the top of the ladder, do not seem to really care what is going on in the pits of the company.

The people that work in their distribution centers are great people. They are there to work really hard to make a decent pay to help pay bills and put their kids through school. They are not treated as people but rather machines or robots, if you will. This company claims to run by their family values, but you really do not see that. at all.

They have an engineering group that set pay standards for the people working on the floor and the people leading this group are ignorant snobs who don't really acknowledge the existence of anything or anyone outside of the group. Except for one of them. One of their engineer does not even have an engineering degree and I find that absurd.

The management have very high expectations and it is understandable that as a major retailer, the company should be the best it can be, but with the mentality that they all carry, it is rather time-consuming to plug one hole in the boat when there are multiple.

The technology used in this company is so old, that the processing power of my phone can figure it out years before Dillard's can. They make it sound fun and everything until you have been working for a couple of weeks.

Advice to Management

Change the company. You will see a lot of people leave until everyone is practically the same hamster on the wheel.

6. Sales associate

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

Flexible work schedule. They don't normally give you a hard time if you call off. But they do write you up if you are late too many times.

Cons

I would have put pay in the pros but they cut your pay if you don't make your quota. Managers are very inappropriate and make you do their job so they can get facials on the clock. You express your concerns and nothing is done about it. If you feel like putting up a fight for everything you sell then this is the place for you.

7. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Dillard's full-time

Pros

Discount, making friends with nice people, getting to interact with customers

Cons

Long holiday hours, summer drought in customers, evil management, talked to badly, disrespected daily. No personal life. Your request is merely a request, managers talk about employees to other employees... Favoritism, nepotism, racism, & sexual identification is always making the work place a living tyranny methodically presenting itself to obstruct cruel and inhuman punishment against employees..

Advice to Management

Fire BA, Business Management, ASM's, and Store Managers, after formal reparative complaints..

sales

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you get an hour lunch

Cons

the worst place i i ahve ever worked ..the worst managers i have ever seen. workplace bullying is a major cause of people leaving. they can not keep people. they treat you like crap and think everyone is stupid.

Advice to Management

smarten up treat people well. stop blaming everything on your employee;s when you know very well what the issues are

9. Awful

Current Employee - Cosmetics Associate in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Associate in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good discount. The people I worked with were nice enough except for my manager.

Cons

The only way you can get the discount is if you apply for a Dillard's credit card. You can't get a pay as you go card unless you are denied the credit card.

Constant gossip. Managers told employees private information, including medical issues, and never spoke about sales goals. I never had register training or training how to open and close my area and had to figure it out by myself. When I screwed up closing. The customer service counter got mad at me.

HR is awful! Any complaints are made to feel like you're wrong for having one.

It also took forever for us to get our schedules and the only way to access your pay stub is to go into the store and log in to a computer in the break room.

Advice to Management

Get some HR training! Teach the department managers not to gossip!

Not a good job!

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is good, fun to help and work with customers, work well with school hours, fun coworkers, and the discount is nice (25% off everything, even already reduced items.)

Cons

Where to begin. They made it seem like a great job with easy raises and awesome benefits, but I was lied to about getting my birthday off with pay, vacation time, etc. management will make up reasons to fire you if they don't like you. My associate friend was fired because they accused her of stealing money at a training which first off is impossible to do, and they have zero proof. Another friend had an illness where she would have to miss work a couple times a month. She told them about I when she got hired on and showed doctors notes every time and they accused her of faking the illness and fired her. Management is awful. They don't care about employees at ALL, they just care about making money. A lot of weekend and night hours, including Sunday's. If you don't make your ridiculous sales goals, they can dock your pay, which adds a lot of stress. Because there were sales goals, the employees in my department did not get along because they accused each other of stealing sales. Customers don't respond well to pushy sales associates desperate to get sales. Got in trouble multiple times for selling a customer the product I thought would be best for them, instead of most expensive product. Can NEVER get days off that you want, especially if it's a weekend trip or something. And shift trades rarely go through. Overworked/stressed out department managers take stress out on employees. I've gone home many days crying because of that. It is hard to ask questions, they seem annoyed if you have a question about anything. They expect you to know it all. Training is very vague, especially register training. Upper management (Store and Assistant Store managers) never addressed employee concerns.

Advice to Management

Better register training (I didn't know about the gift receipt button or even exchange for 5 months.) and address employee concerns. Carefully consider department managers because some do not properly handle the stress. I understand the need for sales goals to keep employees driven, but I think department goals instead of individual sales goals would eliminate aggressiveness and unnecessary competition in the workplace and promote teamwork.

11. worst company i have ever encountered

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Dillard's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent coworkers, pay was competitive.

Cons

zero benefits. 5 days vacation a year, with blackout dates for when you could use it. health insurance for a family of 3 would run 2500 a month for a plan with 5000 deductible (all healthy under 30 with no conditions). company policies are too loose for certain aspects and lead to the company being sued often for various misconduct in corporate. unless you are a family member or are willing to be their servant you will never get anywhere with the company. also, a lot of insider trading happening with their stocks within the family.

Advice to Management

find ways to circumvent the dillard family in order to better career opportunities for yourself and employees. stay vigilant and record all conversations with employees and family members.

Showing 1,551 of 1,561 reviews