Dillard's

Dillard's Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Dillard's Chairman and CEO Bill Dillard II

Bill Dillard II

Pros
  • the employee discount was good especially during additional discounts (in 136 reviews)

• Great starting pay that lasted exactly 6 months till first review period (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Forced to resign before being "let go" due to outrageous daily sales goals (in 115 reviews)

• The pay starts of decent but when you don't meet your sales goals you can get a pay cut or fired (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Love the people I work with on a daily basis

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsThe pay is competitive, it's nice to know that the store manager knows your name. They seem to hire almost anyone, so go apply, because you'll get it. Then you're almost guaranteed a three month stay. After 6 months, you'll gain access to a holiday pay perk. A paid day off if you work on the holiday. Fourth of July, Christmas Eve, and New Years Day. Also there is a 25% discount for employees (working more than, I believe an adverage 12 hours a week) using there store provided pay as you go credit card or normal credit card.

ConsThe pay is sometimes too competitive. Like in Women's Shoes. I hear it's a shark tank. The training is very minimal. Usually not preformed by managers. Sometimes preformed by other employees who don't have much more experience than you. They need to pick a set of guidelines and rules and stick to them. Three day return policy or no? Returning evening dresses that you know they wore out with the tags on, just so that they could return it? PICK A SIDE!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more security!!!!!!

Great Place To Work

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsEducational sales environment, nice people. Pleasant working environment. Coworkers are more than willing to share the most effective techniques with newcomers. It's a great way to gain sales experience.

ConsSlow times hamper commission potential. Commissioned-based sales is not for those who lack a competitive spirit. People who are success-driven do the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Good Company if you want to have no personal life. Judged by how you look, not by your skills, dedication, or loyalty.

Upper Management (Current Employee)

ProsAs long as you are mobile and want to work more that 50hours a week you will
    move up in the company. 25% discount is great.

ConsNo structure and Upper management very in-consistant, every stores is run
    differently. Store managers are allowed to belittle and disrespect those who
    work under them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone fairly and understand that work life and home life being in balance makes a
    happier employee.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low pay for high sales expectations

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsStarts out a little higher than other retail jobs as far as pay, great employee discount

ConsVery high sales expectations to maintain current pay. You have to dress very professional, which can be difficult on the low paycheck!

Don't get caught up in the trap!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDecent pay, flexible hours, weekly pay

ConsOutdated systems, unachievable SPH, must hock credit cards, upper management is clueless

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the sph and pay cuts!

No Job Security

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsNot a lot of work-life balance to speak of! Company values appear lucid from the outside, but inside story differs.

ConsAverage benefits. Not many perks, decent bonus structure for store managers, personal growth is limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepared to work long hours in a ever-changing environment which is usually reactive instead of proactive.

Sales associate

Sales Associate In Home Department (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood pay (if you're full time), if it's busy, it's easy to make your sales, flexible with school/outside life, paid holidays/birthdays.

ConsToo much pressure to make sales, it takes forever to move up to full time even though they tell you you'll be full time after 3 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie to the new associates. Make them full time after 3 months like you say. Make it easier to get raise goal.

The most regrettable career move I've made

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsDespite pressure on everyone to meet nonsensical and impossibly high sales goals, coworkers are fair

ConsMaintenance is only called to clean when corporate makes a visit, individual daily sales goals that are twice as high as counter goals for the day, pay cut after 6 months, upper management is unprofessional and sets a poor example for employees. Unruly employees who are borderline abusive to customers and coworkers are kept because of numbers, not because of professionalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like adults and not like children, ensure areas are clean and dusted at all times, get amenities fixed as needed so you aren't scrambling around the day before corporate visits.

Not for everyone

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood merchandise selection. Well-stocked stores (plenty to sell). Hard working associates.

ConsPay tends to stagnate. In management, the rules change constantly for raise criteria. Many loyal employees remain unrewarded, years without raises. Little advancement within the company. Changing image of company considers many in management 'too old' and 'not cool enough' for the company image.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonor the abilities and the dedication of your middle managers....and you will probably be rewarded with improved work environment.

It was very cut throat.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Little Rock, AR

ProsI made some lifelong friends.

Consthe hours were horrible, I hated the culture, they were pushing for unattainable quotas.

Worked for Dillard's? Contribute to the Community!