Dillard's Reviews

2.3
1,040 Reviews

Dillard's Chairman and CEO Bill Dillard II
Bill Dillard II

Pros
  • the employee discount was good especially during additional discounts (in 136 reviews)

• Great starting pay that lasted exactly 6 months till first review period (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Forced to resign before being "let go" due to outrageous daily sales goals (in 115 reviews)

• The pay starts of decent but when you don't meet your sales goals you can get a pay cut or fired (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

No appreciation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked the job that I did; they gave me the tools to excel at selling top end brands and newest/trendiest footwear. The pay was decent and I was able to work full time, even with a school schedule. My boss was very accommodating. I was allowed to use my special skills in customer service to keep customers happy and keep them coming back to me.I was able to work alone and had the ability to move things around and be creative if I wanted.

Cons

Whenever I moved things around, my boss never told me that I had done a good job. Sometimes, she moved them back to the way they were. There is no solid appreciation to those that do grunt work and display new stock. There are too many lazy people that work there that don't have the proper training to do a good job, but are just there to sell and make money for themselves and the company. The top sales people didn't have to do much and there was no discipline. Other employees were rude and pushy, but nothing was done when complaints were made.

Show some appreciation to full-time employees, enforce equal rules. My boss was very good at her job, but very lenient and I suspect that's because she didn't have back up from upper management. Our store is very corrupt and caters to the employees that bring them money, not keep their customers coming back. If small things were changed, like discipline, they would have more business and their employees would stay longer. When Bill Dillard, Sr., was in charge, there was no SPH and Dillard's was a lot more lucrative and friendly.

This is a decent job for the pay.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy work with avgerage pay, pay increases based on sales performance, flexible schedule.

Cons

Standing for long periods of time, rediculous sales goals, having to work weekends and holidays.

Good temporary job, not career fulfilling.

Current Employee - Selling Specialist  in  Auburn, AL
    Current Employee - Selling Specialist in Auburn, AL

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great job for someone who is looking for part time work while they are in school or in between jobs.

Cons

You will eventually be fired from this job, or you will be stuck at the same base pay forever.

take advantage of the hard working full time employees that you have instead of over loading them with all the hard work and giving all the selling times to the part time employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice managers, horrible company.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newport News, VA

I worked at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Liked some of my coworkers
    Great starting pay for a retail job
    Flexible scheduling
    Good training
    Good sales experience since it's all self-motivated
    Managers were friendly and welcomed input.

Cons

It's like working in a shark tank. They'll reel you in with the potential of raises, etc. But those are rare. If you aren't within 90% of your quota by the 6 month review, chances are you'll be fired. Much of that is out of your control. They're constantly hiring new people, having associates work during dead times of the day, or putting too many associates on the floor during said dead times. It turns into a shark tank. Everyone fights for what they can get. Associates will be nice when no customers are around, but get vicious as soon as anyone walks in. Even trying to steal sales after working with customers for awhile, etc. It's a fight or die environment.

Their sales goal policies create a hostile environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Reno, NV

I worked at Dillard's part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are a good sales person you can make a decent wage

Cons

your wage is based on how much you sell. It's not commission but it translates into getting raises. Again it pits sales people against each other and everyday you have fear that you won't make you goal. If you don't your hourly wage goes down.

First of all, hire managers who are mature and competent. I had a manager that engaged in gossip and talked bad about his sales people to other sales people. Very unprofessional. I have an open invitation to come back. You couldn't pay me enougj.

If you leave and come back you can get rehired at the same pay you left with.

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Dillard's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Place is only worth it if you work part-time. Full - timers be warned!

Cons

No support from store manager, area mangers and floor managers. You work your butt off for nothing. And if you are new you might as well look for better work cause if the sales quota don't mess wity then sales sharks certainly will.

The Dillard's family don't care and have not for years. Since the siblings run the company its gone down. When Mr Dillard was alive it was much better store.

I almost can't wait to get fired

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is good, discounts are good, most of the co-workers are friendly, and you have some freedom to do the displays how you want and how it will sell.

Cons

Most of management is lazy and sits in the offices all day, sales goals are so high only a few people will make them and those are the people that will claim/take almost every sale and it doesn't matter what time or kind of year it is, they expect you to come in and work super long shifts (like 9:50-7 or 11-9:10) and they only give you an hour break NOTHING more even though your standing on a concrete floor, credit apps are almost impossible to get for the most part but you won't make your sales goal if you don't get them, the dillards boys are rude they never really say hi, they come in and only talk to managers, they are more likely to fire someone who comes in and gets the department organized to where the numbers start going up but doesn't have the time to fight for sales because they are doing all the work themselves then someone who stands at the register,takes sales,and/or has had numerous customer complaints.i have worked fast food jobs that were less stressful.

Have management spend time on the floor more, get rid of sales goals, give the associates the goal for the department and let them work together not against each other, give your employees an extra 10 minute break (you will be amazed how much harder they will work), give the customers 10% off with applying for a credit (you will see more people will apply), when corporate is there associates are nervous so a smile or a how are you would go a long way, and look at your customer comments, see the work ethic, and see if the department is doing better before firing them

Very competitive work environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Dillard's full-time for more than a year

Pros

25% Discount for employees, opportunity to develop communication skills with customers. Most of the customers were friendly.

Cons

Competitive work environment where some sales associates are like sharks. Poor work-life balance. Work on holidays, weekends and evenings.

Management should attend to the needs of their employees more and promote a friendly work environment

if you need a job yes! a stable job?... buyer beware!!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Dillard's part-time for more than a year

Pros

the pay is the most I've had in recent jobs but theres a reason. the are some great bosses and people.

Cons

if your not a sharks ready to be disloyal and create lots of arguments then this job is not for you. you constantly have to fight for your customers in order to get a sales...why do you have to fight for your customers you might ask/ well because sales and credit app matter here its the only way you keep your job, its the only way to move up in the company its the only way you progress at all and not matter how hard of a worker you are you will be let go if your sales are not up. oh and if you do good one year but not the next your rate of pay will decrease dramatically.but come all sharks wanted. nice hard working people need not apply.

where to start..

I learned a lot about retail. It's always a plus to learn something new!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Dillard's for more than a year

Pros

It was a nice, bright environment. I met some absolutely delightful customers. They seemed to give me more support/positive feedback (and thanks) than management did. Also, developed some great friendships with other associates.

Cons

You are constantly told that you need to increase your sales per hour regardless of how well your numbers looked. Always reminded that you will be 'let go' (or your salary would be cut) if you didn't increase your sales. So...you also have to deal with other associates 'stealing' your sales to increase their numbers. This is not frowned upon by management; I believe it's encouraged.

Training on how to manage (and treat) employees would be helpful. Employees should not be treated as though they are throw-aways!

Worked for Dillard's? Contribute to the Community!