Dillard's Reviews

2.3
1,043 Reviews

Dillard's Chairman and CEO Bill Dillard II
Bill Dillard II

Pros
  • the employee discount was good especially during additional discounts (in 136 reviews)

• Great starting pay that lasted exactly 6 months till first review period (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Forced to resign before being "let go" due to outrageous daily sales goals (in 115 reviews)

• The pay starts of decent but when you don't meet your sales goals you can get a pay cut or fired (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

if you need a job yes! a stable job?... buyer beware!!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Dillard's part-time for more than a year

Pros

the pay is the most I've had in recent jobs but theres a reason. the are some great bosses and people.

Cons

if your not a sharks ready to be disloyal and create lots of arguments then this job is not for you. you constantly have to fight for your customers in order to get a sales...why do you have to fight for your customers you might ask/ well because sales and credit app matter here its the only way you keep your job, its the only way to move up in the company its the only way you progress at all and not matter how hard of a worker you are you will be let go if your sales are not up. oh and if you do good one year but not the next your rate of pay will decrease dramatically.but come all sharks wanted. nice hard working people need not apply.

where to start..

I learned a lot about retail. It's always a plus to learn something new!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Dillard's for more than a year

Pros

It was a nice, bright environment. I met some absolutely delightful customers. They seemed to give me more support/positive feedback (and thanks) than management did. Also, developed some great friendships with other associates.

Cons

You are constantly told that you need to increase your sales per hour regardless of how well your numbers looked. Always reminded that you will be 'let go' (or your salary would be cut) if you didn't increase your sales. So...you also have to deal with other associates 'stealing' your sales to increase their numbers. This is not frowned upon by management; I believe it's encouraged.

Training on how to manage (and treat) employees would be helpful. Employees should not be treated as though they are throw-aways!

It is what you make it.

I have been working at Dillard's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Dillard's has great starting pay - above average for retail, the store was well kept and elegant, the employee discount is higher than many other retailers and you can get insane deals during the POS events. The managers I worked with were very accommodating of my school schedule.

Cons

The sales goals imposed by higher management are unfair. This makes otherwise decent people turn nasty and cheat each other. I have never worked at a company where people talk about each other behind their backs so often.

Stop being greedy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Higher pay for higher amount of stress.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ocala, FL

I worked at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

For a retail environment, there are few jobs that can compete with Dillard's base pay even for brand new employees. The schedules are posted for an entire month to allow for future planning, and all in all there is not much HARD labor to be had.

Cons

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, IF YOU DO NOT COMPLETE YOUR SALES GOALS YOU WILL LOSE HOURLY PAY AND THEN YOUR JOB. My manager liked to make sure and remind us of that often. Training in Dillard's is not a priority, the sales per hour goals that are set can be extremely competitive and lead to a very hostile and inconsiderate work place.

If you want to keep top tier talent for longer than a couple years in your stores, loose the sales per hour goals. There are too many other ways of holding personal accountability and maintaining store sales goals.

Terrible store management.

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Mid-level management. Start pay. Discount.

Cons

Unreasonable sales per hour goals, huge pay cuts, terrible store manager, huge turnover rate.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Dillard's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great starting pay, but extremely difficult to maintain pay. Have to sell credit card, or face write up, warning, and then fired! Must work in a shark tank with aggressive associates trying to steal your customers and sales. Your pay starts high, but eventually will be cut if you do not make your sales per hour (commission). Terrible benefits with very high cost for insurance.

Cons

Must maintain sales per hour, or face pay reduction. Managers are poor with little direction and thin they are superior. Managers are overworked with little training. Do not work for this company. They may have pulled themselves out of bankruptcy which was filed about 6 yrs ago, but they have been and still are one of the "100 Worst Companies to Work For." Extremely high turnover with not much room for growth. Run for your life!!

Listen to your associates. Learn from you own mistakes while coaching associates. Help associates with projects instead of always delegating, while you sit in your office. Give praise where needed to your staff, don't always just look for the negatives.

Can be fun but overly competitive for sales at times.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Murray, UT

I worked at Dillard's full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to interact and build relationships with loyal customers. You get the same discount on all items, even if they're on sale. There are constantly new people working in the various departments so there are always people to meet.

Cons

The constant push to get credit cards applications. They would constantly scare us with being fired if we didn't get enough credit card applications. You always feel like just a number to them. The upper management of the entire company can be very rude. One of the top guys in the company came in and cursed and yelled at the assistant store manager for not all of managers being there for a meeting. The meeting was last minute, one manager was on medical leave and the other two were out if state on vacation...

Stop pushing for credit card applications. Take more time to make your employees feel valued.

Mens Department sales

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate In Mens Department  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate In Mens Department in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Dillard's full-time for less than a year

Pros

The store discount and access to great clothing

Cons

Hours, per hour rate, pushing credit cards until you want to throw up! Horrible management, and ridiculous attrition rate. New sales people every month.

Take a look at your upper management, how you treat your employees , and how you operate your stores.

SALES ASSOCIATE

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Dillard's part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working with some of your fellow associates and meeting interesting people

Cons

Sales goals (invites a dog-eat-dog environment), brow beating about getting people to sign up for Dillard's credit cards!

They really need to revamp some policies. They sacrifice really good people for sales.

Disappointed for such a store

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Brandon, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brandon, FL

I worked at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

They pay well for retail and it goes up based on performance but that's pretty much all I can thing of.... On if you work over 6 hours you get an hour lunch.

Cons

No Training!!! The first day was just paper work and things then the next day I was in a stock room for half the day and then the other half I was on the floor. The next day I was thrown on the floor with zero training. I had to ring up costumes, tell them about the product, answer questions, and get credit apps. I had no idea what I was doing because I wasn't trained. So I was just playing it by ear. Some associates were really nice and some were rude, like you were beneath them or something. You can't use your discount until after you've been there for a month and when you do use it it has to be on a dillards credit card! Really?!? scam. They will let you go if you don't meet goals. But if you are not standing at the register you won't get sales. You could be the best sales person in the store but if you don't ring people up it doesn't matter.

You push sales soooo much but... I could help a customer and they could go to a different register and get rung up. So someone else gets credit for my sales. So the people who get sales are the ones that hang by the registers. You should have a system that you can ask the guest who helped them and put in their number so they get credit. It's really an unfair system.

Worked for Dillard's? Contribute to the Community!