Dillard's

2.4
1,245 Reviews

Dillard's Chairman and CEO Bill Dillard II
Bill Dillard II

Pros
  • the pay is good the holiday hours or regular not crazy (in 63 reviews)

• the employee discount was good especially during additional discounts (in 155 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't meet sales goals you can be terminated regardless of slow business (in 157 reviews)

• The pay starts of decent but when you don't meet your sales goals you can get a pay cut or fired (in 83 reviews)

More Highlights

You're just a number to them.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denton, TX

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My immediate supervisor was fantastic and great with scheduling. The discount is pretty good and there are frequent additional sales, so you can end up getting products for dirt cheap. They're usually good about hours until January and February when they begin to cut them. I actually love this job and wish I could keep it if it weren't for the sales quota. The pay is absolutely fantastic.

Cons

Instead of doing seasonal employees, they just hire you and then make your sales quotas impossible so they can let you go. The quotas are ridiculous and to upper management are you all is a number. We're a smaller store and they give us the same quotas as huge malls.

Quit making your employees cry.

Department manager ladies shoes

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

Dillard's hours during Christmas are not crazy
    You can actually maintain some sense of sanity
    During holiday retail craziness

Cons

Ladies shoe manager needs to improve her people skills with associates & customers. It's beyond my imagination how a company that's prides itself on professionalism allows just behavior. She not only screams in the stockroom but on the sales floor in front of customers. It's a tough department, sale associates are very competitive some days it creates a unpleasant environment especially when slow. Store Management cares only about sales & keeping jobs.
    If you have tough exterior & not concerned how you are treated this is the place for you.

Send in secret shoppers or spy associates to report behavior of associates & management

Sales associate

I worked at Dillard's

Pros

The pay was the only pro

Cons

Management
    Hours
    Quota
    Lack of customers coming into the store

Treat your employees with more respect.

Work here if you're willing to run all over your coworkers.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at Dillard's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-great pay in the beginning
    -relaxed environment
    -coworkers were great, with the exception of a few

Cons

-horrible management
    -start you off with high pay because they know it will be cut in a few months
    -unrealistic goals

Try caring about your employees. That's a good start.

Its the luck of the draw

Current Employee - Polo Specialist
    Current Employee - Polo Specialist

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

higher pay than other retail jobs

Cons

fights between coworkers, competitive, pay based off sales which ends up creating enemies between coworkers. pay is directly related to area assigned to.

Sales associate

I worked at Dillard's

Pros

good company to work for
    good hourly sales

Cons

Poor management
    Needs work to better assist customer

Good company

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

Good insurance,great pay, great opportunity

Cons

Lots of pressure during holidays

I have learned a lot about retail via working at Dillard's

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

The pay is pretty good for retail...I started out with 12/hr
    Growth within the company
    It's fun selling the brands I love

Cons

You have to exceed your sales quota to get a pay raise and sometimes the quota is out of reach, sometimes if you don't meet your quota you will get a pay cut
    training is minimal
    its very tiring, but you have to expect that from retail

Spend more time training your associates and make sure the managers are qualified

I love hearing my customers tell me they enjoyed shopping with me, and I have wonderful coworkers

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Dillard's part-time

Pros

Friendly and caring coworkers. Pay is nice if you make your standard goal. You have your own customers that come in to see you and enjoy the experience you give them. The best part is having repeat customers that want you to go out of your way to call them and keep them up to date on sales and particular merchandise they are interested in ( I know that sounds odd but they are usually the most friendly and fun to work with). The store manager is generally sociable, and makes sure to go out of her way for customers. Some departments get full price clothes for practically free if they make their overall goal which is nice. Coworkers and customers will respect you more if you come to work with a positive attitude, stay ethical, and play fair. The store manager will donate to the community or help employees and customers out with philanthropic activities in exchange for branding placement and advertisement. Company potlucks, parties, and free food are common and usually very fun.

Cons

The POS system and technology is very outdated, Dillard's does not advertise well due to the "exclusivity" of the target market, which I think is a missed opportunity for profit. The quota system can only reflect the sales associate's productivity so well, as the store rarely stays busy. Departments tend to stay severely overstaffed while others will be the opposite, making balance and efficiency difficult. I understand why the quota system is in place, but instead of motivating associates for the right reasons, it sets an overcast and hopeless tone for associates and causes management to be unable to control petty worker disputes. My store is much better than others from what I have heard, but I feel that a change in attitude and an update would be most beneficial to the Dillard's brand.

Focus on team building, I used to manage a small retail store and we were always focused on the TEAM. We gave honest and open customer service without making a purchase feel awkward or forced, as customers tend to feel when every associate they see is hoping to catch them and get them into a fitting room to anchor down the sale. Management really can't change this, but; I think if Dillard's stopped the quota system for individuals and instead based it off departments quarterly and annually there would be a more positive and bright work environment for everyone. If each individual in a department has worked and pulled their weight towards making the department goal then reward them for that instead of cutting pay. If you can't afford to give raises, then stop over-staffing small departments, three people working at one register is inefficient. Also, management should be trained to use the POS, one of the managers had no idea how to work the system when asked a relevant and relatively easy question that was her place to manage. This is not uncommon, and tends to lead to delayed service to the customer if a manager is needed but unskilled.

Really.........

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

They pay is way better than anywhere else in retail.

Cons

The 1990's computers. The sales quotas are set up for failure.

Upgrade your technology. If you upgrade your tech, you can establish more accountability for any missing funds from registers cause there are always miscounts.Also if a customer has to be rung up,but has been helped by more than one associate, there is technology out there to divide the item and place that item on the sale for those particular associates (Finish Line as this same technology Dillard's can have it too) . Focus more on customers and customer service even more. Diversify your products (i.e. toys for kids.)