Dillard's Reviews

2.3
1,040 Reviews

Dillard's Chairman and CEO Bill Dillard II
Bill Dillard II

Pros
  • the employee discount was good especially during additional discounts (in 136 reviews)

• Great starting pay that lasted exactly 6 months till first review period (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Forced to resign before being "let go" due to outrageous daily sales goals (in 115 reviews)

• The pay starts of decent but when you don't meet your sales goals you can get a pay cut or fired (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Satisfied!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Killeen, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Killeen, TX

I worked at Dillard's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay for a part time job, great management at this particular branch. Not as bad of a company as many reviews make it sound.

Cons

Difficult to build relationships with coworkers due to nature of job, stressful at times due to commission based system.

Truly learning and growing in merchandising and customer service skills. Great pay hard hours.

Current Employee - Ready to Wear Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Ready to Wear Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay.
    Able to grow and develop in merchandising and management skills.

Cons

The hours in terms of management and above are very difficult.

Dillard's For Opportunity

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Provo, UT

I have been working at Dillard's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Dillard's is great for those who are driven and want to make money. Learn how to motivate a team to produce good results and keep trying everyday. You get what you give

Cons

Honestly I fully enjoy my job every aspect the only thing I don't like is scheduling but that's just part of the job

Keep up the good work we will make this company grow with good business practices

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Neutral

I worked at Dillard's

Pros

Great salary, great associates, quality clothing

Cons

Sales per hour program, trainings

Not bad so far

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay isn't bad for retail, got started at $12/hour
    Nice coworkers
    Busy store

Cons

Highly unorganized. My training consisted of being thrown out onto the sales floor on my first day and expected to figure it out.
    My manager started working here 3 days before I did and most of my coworkers are new as well, so no one really knows what's going on. I can already see there is very high turnover.
    Hours are all over the place, inconsistent, but to be expected in a retail store.
    We are expected to meet a certain dollar per hour in sales which is unachievable in my area (accessories). Whereas there are other associates selling over $3000 a day because they are in the sought after purse area. There should be a rotation in place to make it fair for everyone.

Hire another ops manager or someone to assist with hiring. The guy who was supposed to be putting me through training was so busy that he didn't even have time to take the new hires on a tour of the store. I had no proper training, just being told how to do the job by people who have only been there for a week. It would make things run much more smoothly and perhaps would result in less turnover if people were properly trained.

Good Pay!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

They start at $12.00 base pay for sales associate and more if you have more experience. It's the best base pay in retail.

Cons

Sales goals may or may not be attainable depending on your location. They also hire everyone in at part-time and you have to work your way to full-time. Luckily, this was just a second job for me so I wasn't concerned with full-time.

Set reasonable sales goals for employees. If you have 25 employees on the floor fighting over 2 customers, no one will ever meet their goals. Also, hire people at full-time then you wont have to have so many part-time employees on the floor.

Worst company, worst people!

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

There aren't any pros. Trust me.

Cons

There is no training, no support, and no help from management. The store manager is so full of himself and pretends to care about everyone, but is so disingenuous. Only thing he cares about is himself. He has no idea how to run a store. His only tactic is intimidation and name calling. Everyone sees through it, but is so afraid of being fired, they put up with him.

It sounds like all Dillards are run the same way. Hopefully, they'll go out of business soon and all of the nasty, backstabbing managers and associates won't have jobs. The entire Dillards family seems to not care about anything either.

An OKAY Work Place

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

You get paid weekly.
    25% Employee Discount.
    If you work Holidays they feed you.
    WiFi Access.
    Flexible Schedules.

Cons

There's NO set schedule,you just work what they give you. Benefits suck! No overtime even if you're full-time. You can only grow so much in that company and trust me its not much! Training is
    Horrible. Biggest company I've seen with a high turnover rate.

Management should appreciate us "little people" for the actual hands on work. Yeah you hired us and pay us,but I don't get paid enough to do all these ridiculous sometimes non realistic goals you set us up for. They set they're employee's up to fail.

Dont work here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Starting off pay is decent- $12.00 an hour and 25% discount.

Cons

There is NO work-life balance. There were definitely time where I had been scheduled to work 9 days in a row.
    Also, towards the end of stay there - the District manager (Mike or Mark Lichford) stared this thing where if you are a part-time employee then you don't get ANY weekends off. Part timers work every Friday and every Saturday. HELLOOOO- they were ONLY hiring of part time.
    The sales goals that they have us meet are ridiculous. I worked in a VERY small cosmetic counter where there were always at least 3 or 4 of us working at the same time each trying to sell $600 a day when the entire counter itself barely pulls in 4 or 5 hundred dollars. They schedule way to many people at the same time which makes it impossible to reach our sales goals.

Worst job of my life!

Former Employee - Clinique Consultant  in  Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Clinique Consultant in Toledo, OH

I worked at Dillard's part-time for less than a year

Pros

We got free makeup and classes

Cons

Job performance is judged by sales alone. There were 6 different units of measure to determine your sales performance. Sph was my favourite! There were other units that even my counter, or department manager could explain. They would call down and sent people home when we worked too many hours. Then, they would not adjust your goals. So, no matter how hard I tried, I could never reach my goal. This created such a cut throat work environment. People stole sales from one another. There were constant cat fights!

Adjust sales goals!!!

Worked for Dillard's? Contribute to the Community!