Dillard's

Dillard's Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Dillard's Chairman and CEO Bill Dillard II

Bill Dillard II

Pros
  • the employee discount was good especially during additional discounts (in 136 reviews)

• Great starting pay that lasted exactly 6 months till first review period (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Forced to resign before being "let go" due to outrageous daily sales goals (in 115 reviews)

• The pay starts of decent but when you don't meet your sales goals you can get a pay cut or fired (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay Place to Work

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Clarksville, TN

ProsGood place to work when you need extra income

ConsThere really is no room for grown

Advice to Senior Managementcreate more opportunities for growth

RUN LIKE HELL!

Anonymous (Former Employee) Ogden, UT

ProsSorry, there are no pros at Dillard's. I would rather shovel horse manure than ever work there again.

ConsIf being verbally and mentally abused and motivated by fear are your thing, this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management are only out for themselves - wanting to line their own pockets. Dillard's is out of touch with their employees, customers, and technology. Management discriminates against protected classes in hiring and with employees.

The worst possible company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Texarkana, TX

ProsI loved my clients .

ConsSenior management acted like they were in high school very childish. Store manager is a bully who yells at employees, threatens everyone, has commented in store meeting " you better love working here because it beats the alternative of you standing on the street corner with a sign saying I will work for food!"

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about the people who are trying to sell your product

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dillards Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe employees are nice nice

ConsSales associates reach a plateau.

Sales Focused Retailer

Sales Associate/Manager (Former Employee)

Pros- Quality merchandise
    - Beautiful Stores
    - Entry level salary was higher than average
    - Your rate of pay increases in an incremental manner if you exceed your sales goals

Cons- Extremely sales focused
    - Goals must be attained (SPH - Sales Per Hour)
    - Sharks (dominant, completely sales focused staff) were challenging to work with. The merchandising was relegated to staff that were less sales focused.

Not bad

ProsGreat pay!!! This company is not hesitant to compensate it's employees and management team. If you want to make a lot of money than work for Dillard's.

ConsLittle to no training. There is no management training program so if you are coming in from the outside it is a teach yourself program and there is very little support.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a management training program.

Worst job experience ever!

Ladies Shoe Specialist (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsEmployee discount days, even those discounts aren't very good

ConsThe sales goals are set at an extremely unachievable level.

Volusia Mall- Horrible company, managers are completely useless.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Daytona Beach, FL

ProsThe only pro would be the customers.

ConsManagement, many have no experience. They are more concerned with finding someone to fire than coach and career building.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell, first of all do an unannounced visit and talk to the employees. I saw it as a revolving door. 99% of employees there hated there job. This is directly related to management. Bill Dillard must be aware of all the ongoings , just read there reviews Bill!

Absolute worst company I have ever worked for.

ProsNOT ONE THING, and trust me I only gave one star because that was my only option.

ConsExtremely overworked, under appreciated. Regardless if this is the retail world or not, no one should feel the pressure to work as much as the buyers and assistant buyers work for this company. This company does not believe in a positive work/life balance at all. Pressure put on the Buyers is then put on Assistants, there is not one happy person in that entire building. I don't think I have ever been treated so poorly in my entire life by co workers and management, on top of being micromanaged to the core. It was like being time warped into the 1980's with the lack of technology, and antiquated processes they still do. It's shocking to me that people have worked there for years. I don't get it. Go to any other company and I guarantee you will be treated 100% better than Dillard's. They should really be embarrassed, but my honest opinion is that they really just don't care about their employees. If they did care, they wouldn't be on the top 10 worst companies in the United States to work for. Hands down worst job experience of my life, and a giant waste of my time and efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider some actual human resource training because your actions or lack thereof , warrants it. It's appalling.

Great Starting Pay, For a world of unfair treatment and trouble

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsEmployee Discount
    Starting Pay
    The other employees

ConsMANAGEMENT and all of the turnover

This company is very back-handed, and has "Strict" SPH standards that are unattainable. Managers play favorites and keep the employees they like, and setup and/or fire the ones they don't.

They discriminate and profile customers in the store.
    Lots of ILLEGAL business practices that district managers and store managers cover up, but paying employees to be quiet and not report it

Cant meet SPH or credit goals because there are NO CUSTOMERS.

Advice to Senior ManagementGET RID OF YOUR OUTLANDISH SPH! Stop lying to your employees. If an employee does well, tell them they are doing well. Figure out a way to work with employees instead of calling 500, 3-hour meetings a day. Your employees should be happy, they are the FACE of your company and bring back repeat business...not managers.

Worked for Dillard's? Contribute to the Community!