Dillard's

2.4
1,243 Reviews

Dillard's Chairman and CEO Bill Dillard II
Bill Dillard II

Pros
  • the pay is good the holiday hours or regular not crazy (in 63 reviews)

• the employee discount was good especially during additional discounts (in 155 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't meet sales goals you can be terminated regardless of slow business (in 157 reviews)

• The pay starts of decent but when you don't meet your sales goals you can get a pay cut or fired (in 83 reviews)

More Highlights

Great position for a new sales associate

Former Employee - Women Shoes Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Women Shoes Sales Associate

I worked at Dillard's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Dillard's is a great place to start your sales career. Employees come from all sorts of backgrounds. Pay is decent, and hours are flexible.

Cons

Employee discount is only attainable through company credit card. Working on holidays. High turnover

Management was great. They offered upward mobility.

Sales Specialist - Work-life balance could be difficult, but then again, this is retail. Store Manager Excellent

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Dillard's

Pros

Good benefits and decent pay for retail position, also good discounts. Good training.

Cons

Asst. Manager terrible, forcing credit cards on customers is also terrible.

The financial gain to the corporation by forcing credit cards to customers is obvious but there is no incentive back to sales staff for going through such an embarrassment. Even the incentive to the customer is scarce at best.

A lot of pro's but a few major con's.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ogden, UT

I worked at Dillard's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is amazing, discount and incentives, not always busy and commission is easy if you know basic sales.

Cons

The store manager was horrible and the sales policy sets you up to fail.

Get your head out of your butt and get to know your employees .

Decent pay/benefits, but aggravating challenges

Former Employee - Dock Associate in Beachwood, OH
    Former Employee - Dock Associate in Beachwood, OH

I worked at Dillard's

Pros

Decent pay/benefits
    fairly generous holiday pay, extra days off rewarded for perfect attendance each quarter...

physical job - healthy workout

If you're in the Dock or in Customer Service there is a good amount of long-term stability but if you are in Sales you may just want to consider this a 9-month temporary job. Although there are some 20-year veterans, not sure how they meet the supposedly impossible sales goals.

Cons

Understaffed for a store this size. They have one person doing ten different things, constantly being paged to switch jobs.

Most of the people were nice and friendly, except for my supervisor, naturally the only person who is grumpy and bad-tempered has to be my boss, what are the odds.

The store gets too many spills and clean-ups for a place that doesn't even serve food, but I suppose that's partly because we are attached to a mall. People urinate in the fitting rooms - and not just the kids section. You would think most of this piggishness would come from the customers but why do we get so many spills in the employee break-room? honestly, this wasn't the best display of human cleanliness.

Hire more people to work the closing shift in the dock department. this huge multi-million dollar store can afford a few more people. every night hangers pile up and don't get sorted; if you just hired one person to do that one job, and nothing else, they would get sorted every night. but instead it's this multi-tasking business.

one of the worse retail jobs i've ever had since working.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Dillard's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very high pay, full hours. Very easy work. the only good thing about the company is the discount, 25% off on top of sales items as well. They also give the employees an extra discount day too with an additional 30% off.

Cons

Treat their part time employees very bad. The sales goals expectations aren't realistic because of the amount of customers that you get. They fire you right away if you don't make your goals after 3 months.

GIve your employees realistic sales goals. When you cut your employees hours make sure you inform them about it.

Worst job experience of my life.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Odessa, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Odessa, TX

I worked at Dillard's

Pros

The discounts on the clothes & accessories is the only good part of working at Dillard's.

Cons

No training you just get thrown out on the floor & you're expected to know what to do. Unreasonable quotas that have to be met each day or in time will result in a pay cut. Very corporate insensitive company.

They will take credit for others work & don't seem to care much about their employees. Dishonest people & don't seem to be happy with their jobs.

I enjoy working at Dillard's, okay is good.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boise, ID

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

Pay is good, the discount is good.

Cons

Sph is too high, there aren't very many customers because Dillard's didn't advertise.

Advertise

Good working conditions

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Professional atmosphere. Better starting pay than average in the industry. Caring management and good discount opportunities. Dillards strives to anchor themselves with quality, upper scale malls with equally or better boutique type stores. If you meet your quotas, good opportunity for regular raises.

Cons

Getting time off can be a challenging process, especially if your manager is difficult. As a new employee, integrating in with "veteran" employees can be difficult. High expectations of retail knowledge. Meeting quotas can be stressful.

Advise veteran employees to be kinder and more understanding to newer, less experienced employees.

Awful place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Dillard's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay isn't bad, good relationships with some of my coworkers.

Cons

I've never felt so disrespected by a managerial team as I do at Dillard's. Completely ignore my availability and time off requests, when I work another job. When I kindly ask my manager to fix it, she tells me that she has plans she has to cancel too, and then walks away. Totally disrespectful. People get fired for things beyond their control. Some sections are just super slow and you can't help the NO traffic in the store most of the time. I'm also told that my religious beliefs aren't important on a regular basis because "this is retail." I'm sorry, but I've worked at other retailers before, and I've never had an issue. If you are only PART TIME, they still expect you to act like Dillard's is your entire life and don't understand I have other things I have going on.

Maybe if you cared more about the morale of your employees, your business would thrive more. Employees would actually enjoy work if you were more accommodating to their reasonable requests. Especially when employees are only part time, like I am. Ridiculous. I've told friends and family members about how Dillard's treats their employees, and most of them have volunteered to say they will never shop from Dillard's again. Not good.

just don't!!

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Camera Operator in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Camera Operator in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Dillard's

Pros

the interacting with fellow employees

Cons

you name it they don't follow up on anything upper mgmt tells u very sparse 401k match sales assoc get pay cut of goals not met and they continually pay new hires more than current employees no matter how long you have worked for them

get real learn some people skills then send your mgrs to a class to learn how to speak and treat employees anyone that has worked here then leaves feels like they won lottery, i've never seen so many people so miserable and that's throughout the company, as long as u can sit and count your're $ to heck with your employees, local PD will not even work off duty here not one!