Dillen Products Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
John C. Orr

1. I worked here as an order assembler, seasonal for the spring shipping season.

Former Employee - Order Assembler in Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - Order Assembler in Middlefield, OH

I worked at Dillen Products

Pros

I enjoyed the laid back atmosphere there.

Cons

Knowing that it was temporary, and never knowing when it would end - they tried to give us an idea of how long it would last, but it came down to letting us go when we ran out of orders to fill.

Advice to Management

Pay more money.

2. learning a lot about plastic injection molding

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Mentor, OH
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Mentor, OH

I have been working at Dillen Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have an excellent boss. Learn everyday about equipment I have never worked on.

Cons

Smell of burning plastic everyday concerns me.

Advice to Management

Make sure the place is well ventilated.

Sweat shop

I have been working at Dillen Products

Pros

Long term employees who are still there generally are good people and team players.

Cons

Numerous long term employees who built the company have been driven away or fired and replaced by youngsters who work cheap but lack dedication, experience, a sense of teamwork and do not appreciate the customer relations that were built over many years.

Advice to Management

When you are done tearing the company down, rediscover the value of good employees and customers.

Unprofessional

Former Contractor - Prospective in Middlefield, OH
    Former Contractor - Prospective in Middlefield, OH

I worked at Dillen Products as a contractor

Pros

I saw nothing there that was compelling and worth the effort as a prospective employee to draw me into the fold. This is a rabid overcrowded and seemingly dangerous atmosphere where you are just another number.

Cons

I went there for an interview recently and it was a smoky dismal plant that is overcrowded and noisy. They did not offer a conference room or any kind of professional decorum. I followed the production manager as we walked through the plant which I thought was quite strange as I was well dressed and had good shoes and clothing on. He was looking for someone he could not find and he proceeded then to explain that they were adding new machines to this already crowded plant. After some time following him with little or no explanation from him I explained to him This was not the type of work I was looking for and I did not want to waste his time. After only being in the toxic atmosphere of this smoky plant I was dying to get out to some fresh air as I don't smoke and felt very tight chested from just 20 minutes and could not imagine being in there for twelve hours or more every day. The place is a disaster and is to be avoided at all costs!!

Advice to Management

Your plant is like ten pounds of s--t in a five pound bag. Hope you get some fresh air soon!

6. Not What You'd Expect

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Middlefield, OH
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Middlefield, OH

I have been working at Dillen Products as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

• Extraordinarily steady work. You can miss days and it will not be held against you. If you are not good at something, they will try you on something else. In general, this company will exhaust every last avenue before firing someone - and that's a dedication to its employees that I found and continue to find astonishing.
    • Very helpful and friendly coworkers. The people you work with will not hold it against you if you make mistakes. They will help you if you need it. You can't just make mistake after mistake, but your mistakes won't be recorded in a ledger to be used against you either.
    • Very apoliticial and nearly conflict-free job environment. I'm not sure if most people there are just too busy to gossip and hold grudges or what, but whatever it is, it works.
    • Highly instructive. If you come from another line of work, as I did, and are looking for a learning experience, look no further. I doubt I'll use the skills I've picked up here in future jobs, but it's nice to have them, and many other people will find them invaluable.
    • The satisfaction of a job without moral ambiguity.

Dillen offers hard but honest work without moral ambiguity or employee infighting. That alone is a breath of fresh air. The people who work here are by and large rural and simple, but they are also the kindest and most helpful group of people I have ever worked with. If you don't have a taste for politics in your work and can handle the physical aspects, Dillen is a very worthy choice.

Cons

• Location. Dillen is located way out in the middle of nowhere. Finding it is easy, but getting there will always be a gas-draining chore unless you happen to live nearby.
    • Very physical, strenuous work. If you're not in good physical condition or have a physical drawback, this probably isn't the job for you. Mind you, they will work with you - I happen to be burdened with the latter and everyone there has been supportive and helpful - but in general, the jobs this company offers are labor jobs, and best suited for laborers.
    • A work environment that's loud and disruptive in the extreme. It doesn't matter what building you work in - it doesn't even matter if you work in the offices up front. Dillen is a factory, so the workplaces noises are loud and ceaseless. Indeed, employees at all levels are encouraged to wear earplugs. Sound advice, but useless if you need to hear your coworkers.
    • For press operators, the rotating schedule. During a single shift operators will switch machines once. This can be frustrating if you've gotten good at one machine and would like to stay there. Though, to their credit, the foremen do seem able to recognize the strengths of their workers and match them accordingly.

Most of Dillen's drawbacks come from the factory environment, regrettably. It's not the optimum working environment, and if you're used to quiet and peaceful work, it will be like nails on a chalkboard. But there are people who like loud and noisy, and for them, this is the place to be.

Advice to Management

Keep the foremen you have, most of them earn every dollar. One more ten minute break for your employees couldn't hurt either. While overall a positive experience, this is the first job I've ever had that only allowed employees one ten-minute break, as opposed to two.

Dillen Products is a job when you need a job but for the average person there are no career advancement opportunities.

Current Employee - Packer in Middlefield, OH
    Current Employee - Packer in Middlefield, OH

I have been working at Dillen Products

Pros

They offer a good benefits package including 401k, medical, dental and vision options. There is also a nice vacation package offered.

Cons

There is very little room for advancement. Employees are poorly compensated for the work demands placed upon them. You are demanded to work 6-7 days a week for months at a time with no consideration by the company for the employees personal and family lives. Promotions are not given on merit, skills or qualifications, they are given on whether you are liked by one or two select people. There is very little employee appreciation. Pay raises are few and far between. When you do receive a raise it is usually $0.25 or less per hour. Although the main culprit of this has since quit, there have been many reports of being outright lied to by a certain human resources person of which nothing was ever done by upper management when it was brought to their attention.

Advice to Management

Your lowest employees are the ones who keep the day to day functions of the company going. If you don't have experienced people there things are done improperly and customers are dissatisfied. Show appreciation for their work and loyalty to the company. With the economy in the state it is, you have eliminated all bonus's that used to be. We want something to say thank you for working as hard as we do every day - and no buying pizza for lunch one day a year after months of mandating 6-7 day work weeks is not an adequate thank you. Give promotions based on merit, past experience and education, not because this girl is that girls friend and I like her so lets train her and promote her and train her from scratch on something she has no experience in or knowledge of.

RSS Feed </> Embed