Dillon Transport

Updated July 21, 2014
4.4

Jeffrey T Dillon

Summary

I worked at Dillon Transport full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was a good company to work for only complaint was gone away from home to long at a time

Cons

Things started changing equipment wasnt up to the same standards it was when i started . goodruns were harder and harder to get unless you were in the chosen few

long hours but made good money if you are liked by office personnel had to fight to be treated better and worked 7yr

Current Employee - Driver in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Driver in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Dillon Transport full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

made good money if you keep on them for work when they are busy they treat you well

Cons

they expect you to work even when you are tiered if you worked 14hr and you took of 10 and they don't need you for another 10 more hours when you get up and can't sleep they still expect you to work another 14hrs even if you didn't get any sleep

don't expect people to be a slave to work and show respect to the drivers who make the money for the company. I liked it there but saw to many good drivers come and go because of the office

Dillon Transportation

Former Employee - Over the Road Truck Driver in Ashland City, TN
    Former Employee - Over the Road Truck Driver in Ashland City, TN

I worked at Dillon Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great equipment, .38-.40 cents per mile, at least 3,000 miles per week, $100 to unload water heaters,$100 Canada Crossing, $150.00 New York Crossing. $14 per hour city pay, they are pretty good on city pay, lots of Drop and Hooks unless your on a Water Heater Load, there is an option to pay for lumpers, but you have to let them know if you need assistance before you get to your destination if not its up to the driver to take the water heaters off to the back of the trailer.

Cons

Work schedule has been picking up and your days off shift from time to time, the driver managers are all new, but the planners know what they are doing!! They are looking for drivers to go to Canada, but they do pay for crossing the border,and they do go to NewYork to those of you that don't like going, electronic logs are in the starting stage with this company.,

Raise your MPH on the E-logs to at least 15MPH currently at 2MPH which is retarded, Micro-Managing is something that gets taken care of when the driver has time to speak with the Safety Supervisor in a one on one conversation not calling the driver when you see a mistake every time.

the job is easy i like working here just frustraigted with the communcation

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Dillon Transport

Pros

work is easy and equiptment is good, co workers are fun to be around, over all it is a good job

Cons

my biggest problem with the company is are weekly cost of insurance i believe the employee contribution could be alot less per week than what it is considering the overall amount of employees that we have. and there is also no promotion from with in for position for drivers some of us could bring alot to the managment part of the business due to are years of being in the field. just because one doesn't have a pieace of paper saying they are educated does not mean they could not do the job. promoting from within some times makes for better understanding and allows for better attiudes knowing you could have a chance to advance.

if managment would take more time to listen to the employees and show more that we are appreciated the moral would be alot higher. it is hard to understand when you go to one center they have pizza and drinks for the drivers and yet your own center never gets a thing we are not aloowed to get are trucks washed and yet other centers trucks are spottless. some times the little things mean alot to a driver just knowing that busting hump is respected.

Dillon Transport it's not so bad

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Burr Ridge, IL
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Burr Ridge, IL

I have been working at Dillon Transport

Pros

The best equipment, competant shop, good pay, respectful dispatch at the Savannah location, Savannah nice clean terminal.

Cons

On the road for three weeks to a month. When management has to cut rates, the drivers have to take a pay cut. ZERO pay raise in 3 years. Large variations in weekly pay(can't count on making a certain amount every week). Seasonal work either feast or famine. Slowest Peterbilt 379's on the road.

The reason I gave neutrals on Senior Leadership is that in these difficult times we'll see if you have the killer instinct to knock the competition out.