Dimagi Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.9
Jonathan Jackson

Smart and talented people trying to make a difference.

I have been working at Dimagi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sticks to the mission and is attempting to make great technology available to those who can benefit from it the most. Hearts are really in the right place and are thoughtful about the work that they do, it's about doing things the right way and setting a high bar for the work that is done in low resource settings. Flexible work environment, generally everyone gets along and are good friends. Lots of international travel and ability to work on a lot of different projects. I've worked in more areas of public health and with a list of impressive international organizations that most people have done in a decade. Technically strong for international development, team is mostly engineers and really talented ones at that.

Cons

Not a perfect company, but good luck finding one in the development sector. Pay is not competitive and growth within the company is getting more and more difficult. Also, not the best at firing low performers, but typically doesn't hire them to begin with. Partners can be somewhat difficult compared to dealing with the true for-profit sector and are very resource strapped.

Advice to Management

Directed growth and retain good staff.

Value proposition: work from anywhere in the world. An adventure as much as a job.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Dimagi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Frequent opportunities to travel to far-flung places across the globe. Not your normal business travel; I'm talking places like Afghanistan, Burkina Faso, Grenada, Madagascar, South Sudan, Zambia... * This history of field work means Dimagi employees can (and do) work from pretty much anywhere. Got a laptop and internet connection? You can work. Want to work from your friend's beach house for a week? No problem. * Non-standard work hours and flex time are the norm. Work on your own schedule, provided you get your work done and communicate well. * A large amount of autonomy in what you build and how you build it. Edicts from on high are rare. Consensus rules. * Not afraid to embrace bleeding-edge technologies and try new things. * Surrounded by fantastic high-caliber people. Intelligent, hilarious, eclectic personalities. Very close-knit vibe. Ample socialization outside of work, but no judgment if that's not your thing. Not a cult. * The feedback loop between your work and the end-users in the field is pretty small. * Pay is slightly below market, but definitely comfortable, especially considering the unique environment and mission. Good health insurance.

Cons

* Travel opportunities for devs are drying up as the company grows and has increasing division of labor. But they are still there if you insist on them. * The company is bad at paying down technical debt. Also at times an 'emperor has no clothes' situation with poor tech choices. Company threw its full weight behind NoSQL, and still has not fully extricated itself once it was discovered it did not live up to the hype. * Surprisingly bureaucratic at times, i.e., weekly timesheets * Growing pains due to rapid growth: org chart might be too flat, crowded office, inadequate knowledge transfer * Work can at times be unglamarous and frustrating, especially when working with external clients. In a "no good deed goes unpunished" sense, devs with a track record of delivering get stuck with these difficult clients. * Company is bad at letting go of under-performers (but pretty good at not hiring them in the first place).

Actually trying to make decisions based on impact, team satisfaction, and then finances

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Dimagi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, social / open culture, social enterprise

Cons

pay is below market, working with colleagues in other continents as well as NGO clients is challenging

Advice to Management

We've grown so quickly and there are tons of different and cool initiatives going on, but it can be hard to see how they all intertwine into the strategy / vision.

Engaged employees makes for a fun and inspiring work environment.

I have been working at Dimagi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Dimagi, we're encouraged to use our initiative and seek out what we are most interested in, which is one of the things I love most about working here. This keeps me motivated and ensures I continue to grow and learn. Dimagi has a fun work environment that is very inclusive and social, both within and outside of work, but is not judgmental and does not require outside of work time commitment. It is an inspiring environment to work in, as everyone is truly committed to what we are doing, and there are many bright and inquisitive people who engage in life and bring diverse experience to the professional and social sides of our work.

Cons

Compensation is less than ideal, but we are given some great perks, including flex hours, ability to work remotely, and generous vacation time.

6. Best company in the world

I have been working at Dimagi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Amazing travel opportunities all over the world 2. Great work-life balance (work remotely, flex time, six weeks of vacation) 3. Do work that is making a real impact in the most underserved communities. 4. Work with really intelligent, compassionate people that come from all different fields and are interested in making a difference 5. Working in a very new field developing open source, cutting edge technology that is constantly evolving 6. Learn about lots of areas, including software, international development, project management, and social entrepreneurship 7. Lots of opportunities to take initiative (including ten set "personal initiative days" a year, where you can work on whatever project you want). 8. Work directly with end users (e.g. travel to field sites to see community health workers in India using your technology) 9. Small enough company where there is fast career growth 10. Great country offices in Cambridge, Dakar, Cape Town, and New Delhi, not to mention Away Months in Brazil and Guatemala!

Cons

Tough to pronounce "Dimagi" (is a hard "g," means wise guy in Hindi!)

7. Changing the World, One Mobile Phone At A Time

Current Employee - Field Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Field Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dimagi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dimagi's mission prioritizing social impact and job satisfaction. Every day we work to empower people (especially frontline workers) to improve their work using mobile technology. My work is challenging, and I get to work on a variety of projects. My supervisors are very considerate of supporting my work life balance. I get to travel around the world. 30 days of PTO a year (including holidays). The office culture is casual and fun.

Cons

The salary could be higher. Easy to work beyond 40 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow staff size to keep up with demand for Dimagi's services.

8. Make a difference, great culture and job opportunities!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dimagi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great employee culture. Very friendly, open. Really spending time with my coworkers, both during and outside of work. Very supportive and open management team. - HUGE job opportunities. International travel, lots of different, interesting types of work. Can really tailor and drive job for your interests and needs. - Company tries to make a difference in the world, so just one more reason to love the job

Cons

- Salary is lower than industry standards, due to company mission - Multiple international offices and projects means that hours are hectic

Advice to Management

- Compensation is a bit of a concern for long term retention - Mentorship is pretty lacking for more employees. Hard to figure out how to grow within the company

9. Great company, great people

I have been working at Dimagi full-time

Pros

- Highly skilled and motivated team - Flexible environment and hours - Mission-oriented people and environment - Opportunity for travel and unique work experiences

Cons

- Pay is below market (though this is true across the organization up to the executive team so it is at least fair)

Dynamic, and get-things-done technology company

I have been working at Dimagi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Dimagi you have the opportunity to work on what interests you most. Your manager will ask if you like what you work on and if you're happy and he/she will make the best to make that a reality. As a technology company Dimagi is fast-paced company that works continuously on improving its product and it implementation model. As such your learning process is an on-going one and you have the chance learn something new everyday. Dimagi is also a very young company and it's a lot of fun working for it.

Cons

Entry level salaries are low but within the development industry standard. In your first you'll travel a lot and it becomes tiring after a while. It is also difficult to feel settled down in a place with so much travel (but travel time goes down over time if you want)

11. Great place to work and learn

I have been working at Dimagi

Pros

The culture is very team-oriented. Creating impact and achieving team satisfaction are highly prioritized. No hierarchy in any channels of communication, which allows for a fast-paced approach to problem solving.

Cons

Work-life balance is prioritized but hard to achieve because there are so many cool opportunities and only so many hours in the day.

RSS Feed </> Embed