Dimagi Reviews

Updated October 8, 2014
Updated October 8, 2014
5.0

Jonathan Jackson

Best company in the world

I have been working at Dimagi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. Amazing travel opportunities all over the world
    2. Great work-life balance (work remotely, flex time, six weeks of vacation)
    3. Do work that is making a real impact in the most underserved communities.
    4. Work with really intelligent, compassionate people that come from all different fields and are interested in making a difference
    5. Working in a very new field developing open source, cutting edge technology that is constantly evolving
    6. Learn about lots of areas, including software, international development, project management, and social entrepreneurship
    7. Lots of opportunities to take initiative (including ten set "personal initiative days" a year, where you can work on whatever project you want).
    8. Work directly with end users (e.g. travel to field sites to see community health workers in India using your technology)
    9. Small enough company where there is fast career growth
    10. Great country offices in Cambridge, Dakar, Cape Town, and New Delhi, not to mention Away Months in Brazil and Guatemala!

Cons

Tough to pronounce "Dimagi" (is a hard "g," means wise guy in Hindi!)

Changing the World, One Mobile Phone At A Time

Current Employee - Field Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Field Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dimagi full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Dimagi's mission prioritizing social impact and job satisfaction. Every day we work to empower people (especially frontline workers) to improve their work using mobile technology.

My work is challenging, and I get to work on a variety of projects. My supervisors are very considerate of supporting my work life balance. I get to travel around the world. 30 days of PTO a year (including holidays). The office culture is casual and fun.

Cons

The salary could be higher. Easy to work beyond 40 hours a week.

Continue to grow staff size to keep up with demand for Dimagi's services.

Actually trying to make decisions based on impact, team satisfaction, and then finances

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Dimagi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, social / open culture, social enterprise

Cons

pay is below market, working with colleagues in other continents as well as NGO clients is challenging

We've grown so quickly and there are tons of different and cool initiatives going on, but it can be hard to see how they all intertwine into the strategy / vision.

Engaged employees makes for a fun and inspiring work environment.

I have been working at Dimagi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At Dimagi, we're encouraged to use our initiative and seek out what we are most interested in, which is one of the things I love most about working here. This keeps me motivated and ensures I continue to grow and learn. Dimagi has a fun work environment that is very inclusive and social, both within and outside of work, but is not judgmental and does not require outside of work time commitment. It is an inspiring environment to work in, as everyone is truly committed to what we are doing, and there are many bright and inquisitive people who engage in life and bring diverse experience to the professional and social sides of our work.

Cons

Compensation is less than ideal, but we are given some great perks, including flex hours, ability to work remotely, and generous vacation time.

Make a difference, great culture and job opportunities!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dimagi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great employee culture. Very friendly, open. Really spending time with my coworkers, both during and outside of work. Very supportive and open management team.
    - HUGE job opportunities. International travel, lots of different, interesting types of work. Can really tailor and drive job for your interests and needs.
    - Company tries to make a difference in the world, so just one more reason to love the job

Cons

- Salary is lower than industry standards, due to company mission
    - Multiple international offices and projects means that hours are hectic

- Compensation is a bit of a concern for long term retention
    - Mentorship is pretty lacking for more employees. Hard to figure out how to grow within the company