Dimension Data Reviews

227 reviews filtered by
3.4
Dimension Data CEO and Director Brett W. Dawson
Brett W. Dawson

Pros
  • Work life balance is good including festival celebrations (in 16 reviews)

• They take great care of you and have a great work environment (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • This makes work/life balance extremely challenging (in 8 reviews)

• Fast pace sometimes means long hours (in 6 reviews)

1. Dimension Data

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Dimension Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity for upward mobility, flex hours, ability to work remotely, good compensation packages.

Cons

Internal office bureaucracy, juvenile relationships between different lines of business, empire building and ousters among senior management.

Advice to Management

Relook Sr. Management, encourage realistic growth targets, discourage animosity between lines of business

Product Management and strategy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dimension Data full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great array of products to learn about
    -Multitude of experts willing to share knowledge
    -Solid IaaS offering

Cons

-Weak compensation relative to other system integrators and VARs
    -Low work life balance
    -Constant reshuffling and re-organization
    -Lack of aligned central strategy
    -Cross competition between business units and divisions
    -High turnover of core product employees. As an example, one Virtualization engineer left every 6 months
    -Going to Market with multiple products at once just to keep up with competition. This causes buggy and unproven products to be released and in many cases, company does not have localized service delivery capability and quality assurance capability for certain products being advertised
    -High probability of major restructuring and re-shuffling in the near future thus reducing stability within certain departments

3. Overall the company culture was good.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Dimension Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There were excellent technical people in the company.

Cons

There was a failure to properly sell the right solutions and a problem of keeping resources busy on projects.

Advice to Management

"Don't put all your eggs in few baskets." Expand your territory without acquiring so many other companies or your culture because more diffuse.

Do not accept work as contractor

Former Contractor - Field Service Engineer in Palmetto, FL
    Former Contractor - Field Service Engineer in Palmetto, FL

I worked at Dimension Data as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Big company with lots of benefits and lots of diversity in the work. If the company was better at serving its customers then it self it would be an amazing company.

Cons

I was 6 months temp to perm 18 months later I was still getting run around on why i had not been made perm. I started looking for other work and they no dont leave us. I believed that they care and that was my fault . Dimension Data only cares about the money. So after they keeping blowing me off as all i really wanted was health insurance and some reassurance that they were not going to term my contact at will. I was promptly let go after my boss got randomly reassigned and they hired someone who did not know up from down. I feel sorry for the people at Feld Entertainment who have to deal with substandard service do to didata's internal politics .

Advice to Management

The US CEO needs to open his eyes to how his MSP is running and get rid of the people who are causing the issues not the ones who the customer gives outstanding reviews to.

Don't join this company if you are in the US. You will regret it.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Dimension Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The excellent Dimension Data companies are a great place to work, with some exceptions (see Cons).

Cons

The US divisions of the otherwise excellent Dimension Data companies are inexplicably unwilling to accept that they are owned by Dimension Data, which is a fatal flaw that will ultimately harm Dimension Data.

If you join this company and accidentally let anyone know that you believe that the Dimension Data acquisition (which happened more than three years ago) your job will be in jeopardy: you will likely be ostracized and eventually fired without warning.

Don't accept a job for Dimension Data in the US. You will regret it.

Advice to Management

You are owned by Dimension Data. Accept it or you will fail.

Inept Management (In Some Departments)

Former Employee - Insight Operator in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Insight Operator in Framingham, MA

I worked at Dimension Data full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depends on what department your in, the stronger the management the greater the opportunities. Unfortunately in departments that titles are given out like someone sharing their skittles, it minimizes the benefits provided by the fittest.

Cons

Short sighted management in some cases, have experienced managers verbally bad mouthing other managers with subordinates to heighten their relationship with subordinates (weak strategy) and not an affective management style. Someone please awaken these types that if they had any Insight it would provide more Uptime to the systems that work. Steer clear of organizations who's management's major goal and is often heard "CYA" ???

Advice to Management

The good managers are obviously well on course and they know who they are, but as to the ones that need advise, take some management classes, you can get better too with some training, it can be learned.

My overall experience was about average. They are like most large companies that are highly unorganized.

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Dimension Data full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best reason to work there is the diversity of opportunities. There are several roles that yo can apply for being that they are a large multi-national firm.

Cons

Like most companies in IT they have no focus on diversity in the workforce and management is mediocre at best.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of focusing on process, people, and tools to get the job done.

9. I had a good experience working here.

I worked at Dimension Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great office culture, good benefits and very competitive pay. The hours are also flexible and there is a good opportunity to succeed.

Cons

Very little training to start. Had to feel my way through the learning of the job. Felt somewhat restricted by the role I was in, not a lot of room for personal growth.

10. Awesome company!

I have been working at Dimension Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been here for little over a year and this is an awesome place to work! The California office is outgoing, fun!, and brings life to the work force on a daily basis. They atmosphere makes you work hard everyday! The people, no matter what department you are in, are all friendly and super smart. There is so much potential and growth at this company.

Cons

Some delays in getting stuff done in other departments, but nothing a little nudge won't hurt

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job, catered lunches more! :)

Could be so much more

I worked at Dimension Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There's some good honest people with integrity

Cons

Elitist upper management with no accountability. A typical company rather than Atypical