Dimension Data

Updated December 19, 2014
3.5

Dimension Data CEO and Director Brett W. Dawson
Brett W. Dawson

Pros
  • Work life balance is good including festival celebrations (in 16 reviews)

• They take great care of you and have a great work environment (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • This makes work/life balance extremely challenging (in 8 reviews)

• Fast pace sometimes means long hours (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome company!

I have been working at Dimension Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been here for little over a year and this is an awesome place to work! The California office is outgoing, fun!, and brings life to the work force on a daily basis. They atmosphere makes you work hard everyday! The people, no matter what department you are in, are all friendly and super smart. There is so much potential and growth at this company.

Cons

Some delays in getting stuff done in other departments, but nothing a little nudge won't hurt

Keep up the good job, catered lunches more! :)

My overall experience was about average. They are like most large companies that are highly unorganized.

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Dimension Data full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best reason to work there is the diversity of opportunities. There are several roles that yo can apply for being that they are a large multi-national firm.

Cons

Like most companies in IT they have no focus on diversity in the workforce and management is mediocre at best.

Do a better job of focusing on process, people, and tools to get the job done.

I had a good experience working here.

I worked at Dimension Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great office culture, good benefits and very competitive pay. The hours are also flexible and there is a good opportunity to succeed.

Cons

Very little training to start. Had to feel my way through the learning of the job. Felt somewhat restricted by the role I was in, not a lot of room for personal growth.

Could be so much more

I worked at Dimension Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There's some good honest people with integrity

Cons

Elitist upper management with no accountability. A typical company rather than Atypical

A great place to work

I have been working at Dimension Data full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are loads of opportunity to advance if you put the effort in. There is a focus on employee retention, and work life balance. While sometimes after hours work is necessary working in a 24x7 global environment it is recognized. There are many parts to the company, and as such there are many different directions to take your career. You just need to understand what is out there, keep an eye on the tools provided and keep in contact with your manager. They will help you evaluate your current skills with the direction you want to take your career and provide opportunities, when available, to bring your skill set up to where it needs to be for that future role.

Cons

As mentioned above, sometimes calls after the standard 9-5 day are required when working in a global company.

Keep listening to your staff and keep doing what you are doing.

Refusal to pay separation compensation after resignation

I worked at Dimension Data

Pros

I believe the best thing about the place was finding out what sort of environment I do not wish to work in given the culture, management and mindset.

Cons

The company refused to pay separation compensation after resignation as documented and I had to litigate to finally get compensation

None. They are set in their ways. Best is to avoid the management of this company. They are the poster boys for being two-faced, very pleasant when they need something from you, only to ruthlessly, immorally undercut you when it suits them.

Internal Politics Rules

Current Employee - Project Manager/Senior Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Senior Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Dimension Data as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Decent hourly rate compared to a lot of other similar positions in the area.

Cons

Internal Politics Rules. The story: Contract not renewed. No notice given and no transition. Immediate end. Quotes: "Please do not leave this meeting thinking this has anything to do with the exceptional work you have performed on the projects." "This is a client relationship issue only." In other words, one senior member of the client team who did not like my *doing my job* by pushing back on scope creep and repeatedly having to request POs/payment for work already completed in "good faith" effort (i.e. at risk) decided to use my position as his "patsy" for all things wrong on the projects. When his demands to have me removed were not initially honored (they said no - I was just doing my job and was doing it well), Dimension Data ultimately permitted it.

Get a backbone. It was repeatedly stated that I was doing my job and doing it well. Management let internal politics rule a business decision. Also was "supposed" to be contract-to-perm, but the acquisition/merger with Nexus changed that. There were no other projects to be assigned to, as the added employees from Nexus meant permanent PM's were not fully allocated.

Growth is stagnant and limited for such a large company.

I have been working at Dimension Data full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, good PTO policy

Cons

Low pay, office politics, bad benefits package, questionable leadership

Hire qualified individuals not friends.

A great place to work and grow, however, nothing will be handed to you. If you put in the work, you reap the rewards!

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Dimension Data full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, a company that understands the definition of the term "work / life balance," challenging projects, a company that wants to be on the bleeding edge of technology offerings, global footprint, opportunities to grow if you want them. For those who show initiative, this company rewards them handsomely. If you're just a bump on a log waiting for something to be handed to you, it's not going to happen for you.

Cons

Very little in terms of cons. This company looks out for its employees and does what it can do hang to talent.

Solid people. Wonderful workplace!

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Dimension Data full-time

Pros

Work-life balance, People, Company Values, training, Pers

Cons

Healthcare, none, none, none, none, none

Dimension Data Photos