Dimensional Fund Advisors

Add Photos

Eduardo A. Repetto

Great if you're a Chicago MBA

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA percentage of your annual salary went into a bonus and the rest into your DFA 401k, which was very nice. But 3% of $18,000 ain't much. I didn't have a degree and worked my way up (a tiny bit) from a bagel toaster technician and coffee maker to the mail room to a very junior Marketing position. I asked a lot of questions and learned an awful lot about asset allocation and diversification. Plus I had access to a lot of software that I learned and took to my future jobs. The experience helped me a great deal.

ConsAcademic is putting it lightly. Unless you had an MBA from that school without a football team, your only other way in was through fall-back choices like Harvard, Yale, etc. Many undergrads I worked with acted as if getting hired meant their work in life was over and they were semi-retired. And management let them get away with it. Not wearing a necktie was looked upon as if I'd joined ISIS, even though I never, ever met a client. Some PMs were patient and helped me learn, others were NASA-types and acted like I was scum. Be prepared for endless gym talk and frat boy mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementAustin? Really?

knowing yourself first!

Senior Associate (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

Prosa typical financial company, it's easy to find your place here if you have:
    1) connection to the top in this company; whether through personal or suck up to the top
    2) ability to bring in money

Consyou will have hard time understanding company's decisions if :
    1) you do not understand money
    2) you do not want to participate in the game

Advice to Senior Managementthe business model is good and the privileged deserve to be rich and successful here. A lot of people you hired locally lack of the exposures to shadyness compared to people from NYC, the naiveness of employees are the risk to manage to reduce turnovers. After all, this is a serious money business.

Decent private firm with a focus on client satisfaction.

Austin, TX

ProsThe pros of this company definitely lie with the compensation and benefits. As a private firm they offer above average health insurance and salary; 401(k) match up to 5%, gym reimbursement, great health insurance. Additionally, all the locations of the firm are excellent work locations and they are located and available in all parts of the world, and there is always an opportunity to transfer to any pf the locations.

ConsThe cons come mostly if you are not a finance/economic person, basically if you don't buy into the money first culture of a private funds firm, then this might not be the place for you.
    The culture is definitely money dominated, which for me was always a problem. Also, as the company has expanded, the focus on client satisfaction is also a bit of a problem as it drives the employee satisfaction lower.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Educational

Intern (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsVery smart people and competitive environment.

ConsHeavy academics and very conservative in their investing policy and flexibility.

Great food! Amazing view! Lots of opportunities for MBA grads from Chicago

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of amazing people and great benefits. Opportunity to hear esteemed academics speak. One of the best products in the industry. Gorgeous office. The food is wonderful. Minus the traffic pretty good work/life balance. A lot really depends on your manager.

ConsOpportunities are really limited if you don't have a MBA (for the most part only from Chicago Booth). Slightly sexist environment. Leadership and middle management constantly fight. Not the place if you think out of the box and like improvement. Horrible technology. Changing from a small company to big bank mentality. A lot of the great things are probably going to go as DFA grows. While making a decision to work here think about if you want to go work at black rock bc that's pretty much the direction the culture is going...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the things that make the work culture great and learn to like each other.

Not a good move if you are not in sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful building, good pay, nice perks

ConsNo career path if not in sales or research

Great if you are an investment professional. Everything else...not so much

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBest product set and philosophy in the industry
    Incredibly smart people, with Nobel laureates regularly in house
    Dedication to client service in the sales groups
    Entrepreneurship is encouraged
    Beautiful office

ConsFew (if any) long-term career paths--senior leaders are lifers
    No internal respect for marketing or technology, which makes culture there miserable
    Zero employee focus beyond tepid and frequently ignored HR efforts
    Despite academic environment there is a hostility to debate and questioning of authority

Used to be an enjoyable place to work, but the morale has gone down quite a bit.

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsGood pay and benefits, smart employees, beautiful building facilities, living in Austin

ConsThis company used to do more internal promotions, but has changed. They have been hiring a lot of external candidates and providing little to no career development for current employees. Since Eduardo took over, the company has been micromanaged from the top down. At all levels, people feel they cannot or do not have the authority to make decisions without his input. Yet he has no background/experience in marketing, management, sales, etc.
    The company monitors who gets to work by 8am and who doesn't. Not that other companies don't, but this company only seems to care about what time you arrive, not that you put in a full day's work.

Worst Management I have ever seen

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeers are nice, however they can't keep good people, one year is a long time there.

ConsToo much politics, Managers don't know how to manage, People come and go

Not a Healthy Place to Work

IT Operations (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsDimensional is financially sound and is not afraid of spending money on Technology (hardware/software). This provided a nice opportunity to learn and keep the IT skillset current. The rank and file are smart and great to work with.

The money was pretty good, but not enough to compensate for the lousy work environment.

ConsIT Management is a dysfunctional mess.

Poor work life, balance. I completely understand that the nature of working on an IT operations team requires putting in a significant amount of after-hours work, but there is often consideration given for that effort. That no longer exists in DFA IT.

Despite losing a large number of long term, dedicated, smart and talented employees, the HR department has done little to improve the situation.

Despite the company’s continued, long term financial success, the company continues to invent new ways to reduce the quality of the benefits, charge more for them.

Finally, there are limited career advancement opportunities, all management and lead positions are filled with buddies of the in place management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to say that hasn't already been said either on this site or during exit interviews. They haven't listened yet.

Worked for Dimensional Fund Advisors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dimensional Fund Advisors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dimensional Fund Advisors CEO Eduardo A. Repetto. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Dimensional Fund Advisors employees.