Dimensional Fund Advisors

Updated Feb 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Eduardo A. Repetto

Decent private firm with a focus on client satisfaction.

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pros of this company definitely lie with the compensation and benefits. As a private firm they offer above average health insurance and salary; 401(k) match up to 5%, gym reimbursement, great health insurance. Additionally, all the locations of the firm are excellent work locations and they are located and available in all parts of the world, and there is always an opportunity to transfer to any pf the locations.

ConsThe cons come mostly if you are not a finance/economic person, basically if you don't buy into the money first culture of a private funds firm, then this might not be the place for you.
The culture is definitely money dominated, which for me was always a problem. Also, as the company has expanded, the focus on client satisfaction is also a bit of a problem as it drives the employee satisfaction lower.

Educational

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors as an intern for less than a year

ProsVery smart people and competitive environment.

ConsHeavy academics and very conservative in their investing policy and flexibility.

Great food! Amazing view! Lots of opportunities for MBA grads from Chicago

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors

ProsA lot of amazing people and great benefits. Opportunity to hear esteemed academics speak. One of the best products in the industry. Gorgeous office. The food is wonderful. Minus the traffic pretty good work/life balance. A lot really depends on your manager.

ConsOpportunities are really limited if you don't have a MBA (for the most part only from Chicago Booth). Slightly sexist environment. Leadership and middle management constantly fight. Not the place if you think out of the box and like improvement. Horrible technology. Changing from a small company to big bank mentality. A lot of the great things are probably going to go as DFA grows. While making a decision to work here think about if you want to go work at black rock bc that's pretty much the direction the culture is going...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the things that make the work culture great and learn to like each other.

Not a good move if you are not in sales

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time for more than a year

ProsBeautiful building, good pay, nice perks

ConsNo career path if not in sales or research

Great if you are an investment professional. Everything else...not so much

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time

ProsBest product set and philosophy in the industry
Incredibly smart people, with Nobel laureates regularly in house
Dedication to client service in the sales groups
Entrepreneurship is encouraged
Beautiful office

ConsFew (if any) long-term career paths--senior leaders are lifers
No internal respect for marketing or technology, which makes culture there miserable
Zero employee focus beyond tepid and frequently ignored HR efforts
Despite academic environment there is a hostility to debate and questioning of authority

Used to be an enjoyable place to work, but the morale has gone down quite a bit.

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay and benefits, smart employees, beautiful building facilities, living in Austin

ConsThis company used to do more internal promotions, but has changed. They have been hiring a lot of external candidates and providing little to no career development for current employees. Since Eduardo took over, the company has been micromanaged from the top down. At all levels, people feel they cannot or do not have the authority to make decisions without his input. Yet he has no background/experience in marketing, management, sales, etc.
The company monitors who gets to work by 8am and who doesn't. Not that other companies don't, but this company only seems to care about what time you arrive, not that you put in a full day's work.

Worst Management I have ever seen

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time

ProsPeers are nice, however they can't keep good people, one year is a long time there.

ConsToo much politics, Managers don't know how to manage, People come and go

Not a Healthy Place to Work

IT Operations (Former Employee)

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDimensional is financially sound and is not afraid of spending money on Technology (hardware/software). This provided a nice opportunity to learn and keep the IT skillset current. The rank and file are smart and great to work with.

The money was pretty good, but not enough to compensate for the lousy work environment.

ConsIT Management is a dysfunctional mess.

Poor work life, balance. I completely understand that the nature of working on an IT operations team requires putting in a significant amount of after-hours work, but there is often consideration given for that effort. That no longer exists in DFA IT.

Despite losing a large number of long term, dedicated, smart and talented employees, the HR department has done little to improve the situation.

Despite the company’s continued, long term financial success, the company continues to invent new ways to reduce the quality of the benefits, charge more for them.

Finally, there are limited career advancement opportunities, all management and lead positions are filled with buddies of the in place management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to say that hasn't already been said either on this site or during exit interviews. They haven't listened yet.

Could be a good place to work but…

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time for less than a year

ProsPros:
• Good Salary
• Hired a few competent employees and managers that have true enterprise technology experience within the last year in an attempt correct some of the dysfunction.
• Training is being provided to all – not just a select few as before.
• Those that really care and want to make a difference are given a chance to do so.
• The last couple of years has seen the IT department actually do more than vendor management with technicians that actually have access to the equipment, not just call the vendor to fix something.

ConsThe IT Old Guard: (5+ years)
• Have Backstabbing down to an art form
• Sr, Management Self-promote at peer and employee expense.
• Sr. Management have meetings about meetings to plan a meeting and still have trouble making a decisions.
• Cannibals- they eat their own; sacrificing former conspirators when caught lying and scheming,
• A political viper’s nest where VP titles are given as part of a good old boys club instead actually earned. (VP’s with no employees that project Manages – kind of)
• People promoted into roles with no concept of IT or security let alone actual experience in the field.
• Positions created for “Sr. Managers” to lead ITSM/ITIL projects with no ITIL certifications or even experience ( can you say hook-up)
• More time spent trying to blame others than spent fixing the issue.
• No accountability for those in the Old Guard
• No work life balance for the competent because the failures of others are shifted onto the backs of those who deliver. team does the majority of the work, while the engineering team not so much.

There are valid points in a few of the reviews but mixed with misinformation. The infrastructure engineering team has had everyone quite, mainly because of bad management but also because people were no longer being praised for throwing on the cape to fix something they had broken. There is often confusion about the Operations and Engineering because the Operations team does the majority of the work, while the engineering team, well, no one really knows what they do, when the two remaining come to work

There continues to be talk of an enterprise environment with no true concept of what an enterprise entails. New IT Managers and employees showing strain of long hours and constant political battles. Employees that have been with the company for years say things are 10X better than 2-3 years ago, which makes my stomach turn to even contemplate a place so bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of those that actually do the work. If you continue to transfer the failures of others to you’re A team you will lose the ones you want to keep. Actually hold people accountable. Mistakes happen but after years and multiple offenses there is no hope for them.

CEO's and COO need to clean up the I.T. department.

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits package and awesome rank and file employees. Great fringe benefits only because the morale within the firm is extremely low. The firm's extracurricular activities are needed in order to retain what top talent they have left.

ConsManagement, management, management. As with any newly hired I.T. VP, first thing they want to do is clean house of all the old timers and bring in their own people. No need to keep and retain employees who actually have the skills and know-how to keep a large global infrastructure running like a well cared for machine. Forget about learning the business, understanding all the system dependencies or identifying department strengths/weaknesses. It’s about an evolution, not a revolution for the I.T. department.

Sr. I.T. Manager only hires best friends to fill open positions that will report to him directly. Nepotism is wide spread in I.T. Op's. Work place bullying encouraged to force current staff to resign. There is no longer any room for growth or advancement within I.T. New I.T. hires have identified the problems with I.T. management and resign within a month of being hired. As of this posting the I.T. department has a 46% attrition rate. I.T. management has made the work environment so unbearable that employees resign even before securing new employment elsewhere.

H.R. does not take employee complaints seriously and dismiss grievances as employee being cynical.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive management needs to eradicate current Sr I.T. managers. Hire new management that actually have leadership skills, who can provide guidance, and can motivate a demoralized department. DFA needs to do away with the self-serving I.T. managers and get the department back on its feet again.

Worked for Dimensional Fund Advisors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dimensional Fund Advisors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dimensional Fund Advisors CEO Eduardo A. Repetto. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Dimensional Fund Advisors employees.