Dimensional Fund Advisors Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Worst management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

there are no pros working in this company if you are looking for doing something meanful

Cons

No management at all. Lots of backstabbing

Advice to Management

Please be professional!

DFA

I have been working at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time

Pros

Nice people, if in sales quality of life pretty good. In other dept PM, Research it is horrible

Cons

Complete disconnect on who does the work and who gets rewarded. Everything is sales driven. Can't sell, don't bother coming in. Comp well below market. Mass exodus already starting as upper management benchmarks raises at 1-2% as the firm is growing 15-20% in revenue and profits per year

3. Pros and Cons

Pros

Great facilities, clever people, solid continued growth of the company, great investment philisophy

Cons

Silo mentality, small-company drawbacks, career path

Associate

Pros

-Great state of the art facilities. Update with all the technology. -Everyone in the client services group is a people person (These are sales guys) -Free drinks and coffee

Cons

-Management is horrible and do no treat some of their employees right. This was multiple managers -There are tons of favoritism. -Culture is much different from Austin to Santa Monica Office. -There was a clear HR violation in regards to pay and VP said it was just how it is. HR found out and there were no violations said.

Great company

Current Employee - Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Intellectual stimulation, smart people, great office locations.

Cons

If you don't buy into the investment philosophy then you're in the wrong place.

Advice to Management

Keep on investing in your employees.

Cares About Their Employees

Pros

Unlike many organizations, this one considers their employees to be a family. They nurture you and reward you. The only reason I left is due to the fact that they moved their headquarters out of state.

Cons

They moved out of state.

Advice to Management

Make certain that the baton is passed as new people/management joins the firm keep up the core values of the organization.

It doesn't 2.3 stars for nothing

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Base pay is higher than industry average. Great Austin office with free soft drinks.

Cons

You pay for that higher salary. The culture is one of finger pointing and CYA. Toxic with a high turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Sell the company already and let professional manage it.

Extremely successful company, great people, lots of opportunity.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many intelligent people in one place, lots of people to learn from. The company really cares about its employees. The benefits are great, there are lots of activities throughout the year that are fun and over-the-top (holiday party). The office is exquisite, the people are great. My team had a great attitude, and everyone seems to be hard working but never too stressed. The work-life balance is good, they never require you to stay over-time and there are always enough people so that no one is over worked. The cafeteria is by far the best in town. Pay is high and fair, the training is really thorough. There are many training and learning opportunities throughout the year where you can participate during your work day to further your education in the field. These are great to take advantage of.

Cons

There is little cross-over between departments. Sometimes as a worker in one department you feel closed off from the since they are on different floors. It does make for a close team, though.

Advice to Management

There could be a better tracking system for good work, so that more great projects can be recognized. There is little cross-over between departments. It would be beneficial to try and get them working together more to ensure that everything runs seamlessly.

Great if you're a Chicago MBA

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A percentage of your annual salary went into a bonus and the rest into your DFA 401k, which was very nice. But 3% of $18,000 ain't much. I didn't have a degree and worked my way up (a tiny bit) from a bagel toaster technician and coffee maker to the mail room to a very junior Marketing position. I asked a lot of questions and learned an awful lot about asset allocation and diversification. Plus I had access to a lot of software that I learned and took to my future jobs. The experience helped me a great deal.

Cons

Academic is putting it lightly. Unless you had an MBA from that school without a football team, your only other way in was through fall-back choices like Harvard, Yale, etc. Many undergrads I worked with acted as if getting hired meant their work in life was over and they were semi-retired. And management let them get away with it. Not wearing a necktie was looked upon as if I'd joined ISIS, even though I never, ever met a client. Some PMs were patient and helped me learn, others were NASA-types and acted like I was scum. Be prepared for endless gym talk and frat boy mentality.

Advice to Management

Austin? Really?

knowing yourself first!

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Dimensional Fund Advisors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

a typical financial company, it's easy to find your place here if you have: 1) connection to the top in this company; whether through personal or suck up to the top 2) ability to bring in money

Cons

you will have hard time understanding company's decisions if : 1) you do not understand money 2) you do not want to participate in the game

Advice to Management

the business model is good and the privileged deserve to be rich and successful here. A lot of people you hired locally lack of the exposures to shadyness compared to people from NYC, the naiveness of employees are the risk to manage to reduce turnovers. After all, this is a serious money business.

RSS Feed </> Embed