DiningIn Reviews

Michael Hackel

1. Driver

Former Employee - Driver
    Former Employee - Driver

I worked at DiningIn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's flexibility. Literally it goes on your schedule. I recommend it if you are a college student that lives IN the area that you will be delivering The people are nice and really cool. The hiring manager is also very sweet and helps you if you need it. If you have a problem with your car or you are planning a vacation its completely ok because its really on your time.

Cons

GASSS!! Even though it is very simple work, the amount of gas you use a week may make the position less desirable. You do not get reimbursed from the gas you use, and you are only payed by tips and commission. You basically get at most 3 deliveries a shift. So if you are working lunch and dinner you'll get at total of 6 deliveries. (maybe a little more because you can get maybe 4 during the dinner shift) Point is, if you live a distance away from the area the gas that it takes to go there and back plus the amount you spend driving during the shifts will add up. Another problem with the job if you live a bit out of the area is that you will have ALOT of free time so you kind of have to figure out what to do during the moments you have no deliveries, and if your in school it should work out. Just go to a library or Starbucks and study, but if your not you maybe tempted to go home. DONT.

Advice to Management

none, good job

2. Diningin... Who are they and why don't we know who they are?

Current Employee - Sale in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sale in Boston, MA

I have been working at DiningIn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom and most of the other employees are great. Very casual atmosphere and micro managing is at a minimum.

Cons

They do not believe in marketing and they will never be any bigger than they were 2 years ago.. company is dying

3. Restaurant Acquisition Rep.

Pros

Plenty of freedom throughout the day. You create your own success. If you're driven you'll do well.

Cons

Language barriers between clients and sales people. Minimal negotiating power.

5. A job that fits around my schedule in college years.

Former Employee - Driver in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Driver in Boston, MA

I worked at DiningIn part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Extremely flexible schedule. Can literally take days off with no advance notice and/or possibly no show without any consequences. They always lack drivers because of the high turnover rate so you never feel threatened or have your job jeopardized. Unless you do something REALLY over the top. -Good money during the busy seasons. As long as you know what you are doing and the dispatchers have faith in you. -Low level of commitment. -Very laid-back since you are out on the road with noone watching over your shoulder. -Stepping into fine-dining restaurants to pick up orders and deliver to high-end clients (Big four accounting firms, law firms, corporate companies, etc.) There are some prestige associated with this job depending on how you look at it. Since its NOT cheap to order through DiningIn. Not all customers can afford $5.99-9.99 delivery charge+tip+SIGNIFICANT food markups.

Cons

-No reimbursement of any kind whatsoever. Back in my days all drivers are considered 'independent contractors' and are paid via 1099-MISC. -No benefits, paid vacations or medical insurance even for guys that works 7 days a week because of our classification. -Incompetent management team. Its so obvious nobody up in the office (front line or back office) gives a damn about anything. Perhaps the paid was too low to extract any passion or dedication from the staff. -Don't even think about personal growth at this company. There is none. Upside is you do get to see different people everyday out there. If you have a future mindset of entering the food industry, it doesn't hurt to swing by different restaurants daily to get an idea of what's going on in there. I believed towards the end of my era, there was an overhaul to switch over from 1099 to W-2. Rumors suggested the state court were investigating on us for tax evasion.

Advice to Management

Know your drivers. They appeared to be at the bottom of the hierarchy scale. But admit it or not they are your most valuable assets in the company. There are whom your clients sees face to face. CEO Mr. Hackel recognizes me since I have been at this company long enough. Even after I have left the company for several years and stills recalls who I am when we bump into each other at the red light.

6. Watch out for the CEO

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, MA

I worked at DiningIn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We had a lot of free food and some of the people were great to work with.

Cons

One of the people that WAS NOT great to work with was the CEO Michael Hackel. He has a bit of a Jekyll & Hyde thing going on. After firing my boss and promoting me to her position, he decided I made too much money and promptly fired me in favor of a kid right out of college that he didn't have to pay as much. This was a regular occurrence at the company and the turnover was constant. Everyone feared for their job and it created a very non-conducive workplace.

Advice to Management

I'd say take some leadership classes but the CEO attended a Harvard Business School certificate program that obviously taught him nothing. He rules with emotion and an iron fist that could only come from a false sense of power brought on by founding a company with money that his rich relatives lent him.

7. Good for Right now

Current Employee - Independent Contractor
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor

I have been working at DiningIn part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is fair work. You get out of it what you put in

Cons

Some of the restaurants are don't have top notch communications with drivers on orders.

8. No buck to pass

Former Employee - Driver in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Driver in Chicago, IL

I worked at DiningIn part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Drivers have flexibility, deliveries are easy to make on time

Cons

The owner is greedy and dumb, leaves little money to office workers, and drivers. Office employees in Chicago have low morale, constantly put dining-in down. The problem is they are dining-in !! People think they just do their job, nothing more, but in reality, they don't even do that.

Advice to Management

Let drivers keep a higher percentage of delivery fee

9. Let the word out on the drivers pay

Current Employee - Driver in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Driver in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at DiningIn part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The drivers have a lot of flexibility in scheduling. Food is on time (evenings are a bit hectic). The entire staff is polite, respectful, and respond accordingly.

Cons

Only the Drivers get paid in tips and commission off each delivery (which is not much), there is no salary wage, and most make under minimum, if you calculate the tips and commission (please be polite to your drivers).

Advice to Management

Give your Drivers the respect they deserve, they are what makes your company run, if you keep treating them badly, don't expect this company to go far.

10. Very Disrespectful!

Former Employee - Driver in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Driver in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at DiningIn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good ideal, it makes sense that in some circumstances you have meals delivered to your home, like mini-catering

Cons

Dispatch staff thinks it's all fun and games, I raised my insurance, brought a smart phone...and thought this would be a nice lil job in my retirement...dispatch tried to have me drive 5 miles to bring them one burrito for a $3 tip...

Advice to Management

You need to manage and have respect for your delivery people

An okay job, not a career.

Pros

Office managers are very accommodating and kind.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, corporate is clueless, little to no training, employee morale VERY low.

Advice to Management

Instead of just throwing something at the wall and seeing what sticks, try to at least think about ways to better your company.

RSS Feed </> Embed