DiningIn

Updated Jun 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Hackel

A job that fits around my schedule in college years.

Driver (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

Pros-Extremely flexible schedule. Can literally take days off with no advance notice and/or possibly no show without any consequences. They always lack drivers because of the high turnover rate so you never feel threatened or have your job jeopardized. Unless you do something REALLY over the top.
    -Good money during the busy seasons. As long as you know what you are doing and the dispatchers have faith in you.
    -Low level of commitment.
    -Very laid-back since you are out on the road with noone watching over your shoulder.
    -Stepping into fine-dining restaurants to pick up orders and deliver to high-end clients (Big four accounting firms, law firms, corporate companies, etc.) There are some prestige associated with this job depending on how you look at it. Since its NOT cheap to order through DiningIn. Not all customers can afford $5.99-9.99 delivery charge+tip+SIGNIFICANT food markups.

Cons-No reimbursement of any kind whatsoever. Back in my days all drivers are considered 'independent contractors' and are paid via 1099-MISC.
    -No benefits, paid vacations or medical insurance even for guys that works 7 days a week because of our classification.
    -Incompetent management team. Its so obvious nobody up in the office (front line or back office) gives a damn about anything. Perhaps the paid was too low to extract any passion or dedication from the staff.
    -Don't even think about personal growth at this company. There is none. Upside is you do get to see different people everyday out there. If you have a future mindset of entering the food industry, it doesn't hurt to swing by different restaurants daily to get an idea of what's going on in there.

I believed towards the end of my era, there was an overhaul to switch over from 1099 to W-2. Rumors suggested the state court were investigating on us for tax evasion.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your drivers. They appeared to be at the bottom of the hierarchy scale. But admit it or not they are your most valuable assets in the company. There are whom your clients sees face to face. CEO Mr. Hackel recognizes me since I have been at this company long enough. Even after I have left the company for several years and stills recalls who I am when we bump into each other at the red light.

Watch out for the CEO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Brighton, MA

ProsWe had a lot of free food and some of the people were great to work with.

ConsOne of the people that WAS NOT great to work with was the CEO Michael Hackel. He has a bit of a Jekyll & Hyde thing going on. After firing my boss and promoting me to her position, he decided I made too much money and promptly fired me in favor of a kid right out of college that he didn't have to pay as much. This was a regular occurrence at the company and the turnover was constant. Everyone feared for their job and it created a very non-conducive workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd say take some leadership classes but the CEO attended a Harvard Business School certificate program that obviously taught him nothing. He rules with emotion and an iron fist that could only come from a false sense of power brought on by founding a company with money that his rich relatives lent him.

Good for Right now

Independent Contractor (Current Employee)

ProsIt is fair work. You get out of it what you put in

ConsSome of the restaurants are don't have top notch communications with drivers on orders.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Let the word out on the drivers pay

Driver (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe drivers have a lot of flexibility in scheduling.
    Food is on time (evenings are a bit hectic).
    The entire staff is polite, respectful, and respond accordingly.

ConsOnly the Drivers get paid in tips and commission off each delivery (which is not much), there is no salary wage, and most make under minimum, if you calculate the tips and commission (please be polite to your drivers).

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your Drivers the respect they deserve, they are what makes your company run, if you keep treating them badly, don't expect this company to go far.

Very Disrespectful!

Driver (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsGood ideal, it makes sense that in some circumstances you have meals delivered to your home, like mini-catering

ConsDispatch staff thinks it's all fun and games, I raised my insurance, brought a smart phone...and thought this would be a nice lil job in my retirement...dispatch tried to have me drive 5 miles to bring them one burrito for a $3 tip...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to manage and have respect for your delivery people

An okay job, not a career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOffice managers are very accommodating and kind.

ConsLong hours, low pay, corporate is clueless, little to no training, employee morale VERY low.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of just throwing something at the wall and seeing what sticks, try to at least think about ways to better your company.

Great place to work!

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsVery young and vibrant environment with continuous growth, promotions, and expansion.

ConsServer and IT issues. Ambiguous compensation plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the server and website

CEO is sub-standard and lacks ethics

Manager (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsLittle supervision when CEO travels
    Free food most weeks

ConsMicro-managing CEO
    Back-stabbing management
    Terrible salaries
    Health care plan and benefits are awful

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company for a few million and start taking the meds

DiningIn Operations

Quality Assurance/Customer Experience (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsFlexible schedules, laid back office staff

ConsSome times can be very hectic with limited resources.

Dining In is a very stressful place due to the irrational behavior of the owner / CEO

Web Developer (Former Employee)
    Brighton, MA

ProsOther then the occasional free food that restaurant partners get scammed out of by being told they are coming in to pitch their food to the sales staff (which usually was not present) there really aren't any pros to mention

ConsThe irrational behavior exhibited by CEO make it one of the most stressful work environments I have ever experienced. People are constantly fired which is disruptive to the company, the CEO makes business decisions based on emotion and not clear rational thought, and many things are promised that never materialize in reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to trust those that you hire. Hire smart people and let them do their work. It does not help the staff when employees are publicly berated. The way to get good work from a team is to praise them and support their efforts, not to call them stupid in front of other employees and create situations where people can be fired on a moments notice because completely unrealistic expectations are put upon them.

Worked for DiningIn? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DiningIn reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DiningIn CEO Michael Hackel . All 15 reviews posted anonymously by DiningIn employees.