Diocese of San Jose in California Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Patrick J. McGrath

1. The individual school I teach at is great.

Current Employee - Teacher in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Diocese of San Jose in California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The community feel is present. There is job security. The school is very helpful with professional development.

Cons

The diocese works very slow and is not very organized. There are times when they make a decree but then a few months later change their mind.

2. past teacher

I worked at Diocese of San Jose in California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The community, family and parents are great. I loved teaching at a Catholic school.

Cons

The classes are too big which made any 1:1 time almost impossible. When I was teaching, there were TOO many workbooks which left little room for teaching outside box. The pay is TOO LOW which is why I left and went back to public.

Advice to Management

the pay is really too low

3. Nice people to work with!

Current Employee - Principal in Los Altos, CA
    Current Employee - Principal in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Diocese of San Jose in California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work environment and people Individual Health Benefits

Cons

Retirement benefits and overall salary

Advice to Management

Continue to collaborate

5. Challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - Interim Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Interim Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Diocese of San Jose in California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work Balance is terrific lots of opportunity to contribute

Cons

Change is hard on all teams at all levels - working to one voice

Advice to Management

Let go - be one voice

6. It was comfortable.

I worked at Diocese of San Jose in California

Pros

From my personal experience, it was laid back atmosphere and fairly easy job. I had no problems or issues -- again, that's just my person experience.

Cons

Boring place to work. No innovation. Outdated perspectives. The pay was pretty low too, but it is a nonprofit.

7. Typical employment, benefits, and requirements for most Catholic Diocesan schools.

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Diocese of San Jose in California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Faith based, accessible, and conscientious peers and administration. Annual interaction with faculty and grade level peers that are also employed by the Diocese of San Jose. Continuing Education with noted speakers. While salary is not comparable to the public schools in the area, it is considerably higher than the private schools, faith based or not.

Cons

Access and availability of technology, continuing education,classroom supplies, and paraeducatiors is directly related to the individual school budget. As with many employers today, medical, dental, and vision benefits require partial employee payment for some plans. All plans require the employee pay the full amount for spouse and dependent coverage. Pension contribution percentage by employer has been restructured resulted in a smaller employer amount.

Advice to Management

#1 From the field, it takes far too long for the higher-ups to respond/remedy a given situation in regard to it's own employees. #2 General concensus is the diocese should be doing more to help. I come from Oklahoma and southern Kansas where in Wichita: "Because the entire Diocese is committed to Stewardship, parishes make every effort to make a Catholic education, from kindergarten thru high school, available to active parish stewards without charging tuition. As far as we know, the Diocese of Wichita is the only diocese in the United States where every child of active parish stewards can attend Catholic grade and high school without paying tuition." Therefore each school offers the same benefits to its students. If one school has a Smart board or a 3rd grade aide, all the schools do.

8. I have been working at Diocese of San Jose in California

Pros

You do not have to have a credential to get a job, but you have to have it within your first 5 years of employment.

Cons

The salary is not competitive, neither initially nor long-term. Some schools have small enrollment, so the classrooms are highly differentiated in skill set.

RSS Feed </> Embed