Direct Capital

Updated May 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James Broom

One of the best employers in the area. Employees do come first, unless it's money.

Portsmouth, NH

ProsThis company is energetic like a startup but profitable. Growth is continuous. To succeed here, you must work hard and like to be challenged. Those on here that leave bad reviews, note that they complain about work hours and that they can't browse the web for sports scores. This isn't home, this isn't daycare, this isn't an internet kiosk, it is a business who's goal is to employ the best talent and lead the industry. If you didn't make it here, then you have failed, not the business.

The CEO and Chairman are good people, and care very much for their employees. I have seen them help many that have turned and taken advantage of them, but they still give.

A very charitable organization.

ConsSome teams need formal training, like Sales, Customer Service, and Operations.
    Benefits could be cheaper, but hey, we are all faced with Obama care. The company pays allot as well!
    Tuition reimbursement is a must!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe point blank! We are driven to be honest with customers and partners, be honest with us.
    When the company makes more money and breaks volume and profit records, share with the employees, instead of introducing new comp plans every time someone starts to get paid well.

Good company.. Poorly organized

ProsHome grown success story... Growing fast.. Good culture but not without its cons

ConsNo training, scatterbrained senior management, no processes, nepotism runs rampant

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a focused direction, implement employee training programs, develop processes and procedures and for god sake stop the fratinization

The Truth About Direct Capital

ProsGood people and fast paced environment

Cons1. Regarding the reviews you see here on Glassdoor, look at the dates - most of the reviews were in Oct-Nov 2012 because that is when Direct Capital asked a select few to write stuff. Other the other reviews speak the truth.

2. Their benefits suck - very high deductibles, very expensive insurance, and the 401K match is laughable.

3. No flexibility - you must work 8:30-5:30, no freedom to work from home - even in bad weather, they monitor everything you do - they have a program that details EVERYTHING you do on your computer...you can't even check up on sports or the news for 5 minutes.

4. Drugs - there is so much drug use going on in that office.

5. The pay also sucks and they work you like slaves. They make you come in on the weekends, unless you're in sales and they can leave early on Fridays - while the rest of us continue to work and come in on the weekends. If you work harder than those around you, you won't get a raise or more money, they keep everyone the same.

6. Senior management plays favorites and if you're a woman, good luck to you because the men get away with everything - they can harass you and no one will do anything about it.

The list can go own, but you get the picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay us fairly
    Treat both women and men equally
    Provide better benefits and incentives

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No clear Leadership

Human Resources (Former Employee)

ProsSome great people work for the company.

ConsNo leadership, No defined goals for bonus plan, benefits are expensive and not robust, no tuition reimbursement,

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employees and not yourself

Great company, great 'products', great compensation - poor training

Finance Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEnergetic environment
    Team focused mentality
    Great earning potential - Daily 'Spiffs' / Salary + commissions, residual income, multiple streams of income
    Amazing marketing strategies and techniques
    Endless leadflow, rapid approvals, motivating environment

ConsThe training program for a Finance Manager is.. wait, what training?
    One of the trainers has never closed a deal and barely knows how to use the CRM systems?
    Minimal structure to the training program - 8 months to sink or swim
    Unless you're experienced in Finance be prepared to be overwhelmed with information and minimal instruction / coaching
    For a company funding over 10k companies and $330MM/yr there needs to be a more robust training program. The turnover rate is exceptionally high for a reason. Your seat has a pricetag and if you don't make the company enough money (whether it's your fault or not) your seat is vacated for the next round of trainees.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it simple: PROVIDE CONSISTENT, POSITIVE, HELPFUL Training and Coaching for new recruits from experienced Sales Trainers.
    It's one thing to know how to close a deal. It's quite another to know the intricacies of productive training techniques, systems, and coaching.

Never a dull moment

Senior Finance Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSupportive Management
    Rapidly growing company
    Good income potential
    Innovative sales & marketing strategies

Cons401(k) needs to be improved

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Direct Capital is for the career minded

IT Related (Current Employee)
    Portsmouth, NH

ProsYou are given the power to fail or to succeed, and given every oppertunity to excel.
    Core values are not just words but a way of life.
    Focus on customer service
    Involved in the community through charities and team support.
    Cutting edge technologies

ConsNothing comes to mind here.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue forging ahead into areas not yet explored and don't look back. It is one of many things that seperates us from other businesses that think they are our competition.

Fun place with lots of great people

CRM Manager (Current Employee)
    Portsmouth, NH

ProsAtmosphere is fast-paced and fun. Performance is recognized and rewarded. Everyday offers a new learning opportunity.

ConsEducation reimbursement not yet available

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Direct Capital is a great place for achievers to be rewarded for results

Senior Online Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Portsmouth, NH

ProsBeen with Direct Capital for 2 years now. It is a company with an achievement culture and start up mentality. For those of us driven to challenge ourselves each day and work with purpose it can be very rewarding.

Employees are encouraged to take ownership of their area of expertise and drive the company in the direction of progress and growth. The fact we are growing when others are shrinking is a testament to what can be done when a team works together.

The overall team is full of problem solvers and professionals. Management communicates well and does everything they can to get you the resources you need to be successful.

I recommend Direct Capital to all the over achievers our there looking for a place where performance is rewarded.

ConsLocation from my home town

Direct Capital is a great place to work

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Portsmouth, NH

ProsThe co-workers are great. You get to tackle a lot of different projects. The focus on the customer and helping the community at Direct Capital is really excellent.

ConsGetting approval for initiatives can be tough.

Worked for Direct Capital? Contribute to the Community!

Direct Capital – Why Work for Us?

LENDING THAT'S SMALL BUSINESS INSPIRED At Direct Capital, our customers' success drives our story. Small business owners bring passion to their business everyday - and so should their lender. For more than 20 years, we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Direct Capital reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Direct Capital CEO James Broom. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Direct Capital employees.