Direct Energy

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
2.7

Badar Khan

Pros
  • Direct Energy has a friendly environment and some departments maintain a good work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• In some groups, the culture provides a comfortable working environment where you can 'be yourself' (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance at times, no growth in Canada (in 6 reviews)

• Senior Management changes are frequent and average seniority is 2-4 years (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

52 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good intentions but lacks leadership and vision.

Former Employee - Senior Counsel  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Counsel in Houston, TX

I worked at Direct Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Direct Energy has a friendly environment and some departments maintain a good work/life balance. The company is growing and has parent company support to facilitate that growth.

Cons

High executive and senior manager-level turn-over. Lacks vision for corporate culture. Makes executive hiring decisions that do not reflect the stated mission.

Focus on the talent you have and how to cultivate those people. Recruit with confidence rather than focusing on simply filling a role. Train managers to live the vision in their dealings with employees.

Absolutely the worst, most disorganized, poorly managed companies I have worked for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Direct Energy as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The company has some of the brightest talent with a strong work ethic people I have ever ad the pleasure to work with. As a contract worker, the compensation is the best I have been offered. The offices are lovely and location is you choose to move closer to the office, is spectacular.

Cons

The company has one of the highest turn over rates I have ever seen. It appears it is a policy to use contract workers so the company doe not have to pay benefits. I was working 18 hour days in order to get the department I had been hired to work with. They were a hot mess in their internal system due to original set up. The only leadership was the most unprofessional, rude, harassing, individuals I have come in contact with in the 25 years I have been working. Absolutely NO training in place. I was lied straight to my face by 3 upper management employees that if I took the job with them and passed up a different opportunity, I would have job security. It was a complete fabrication.

Hire people who are experienced, bright and dedicated. Utilized them to attract more people like them and then decide what the company goals are and actually communicate them to your employees. "Clean house" in the HR department because it was on of the most frustrating experiences I have ever had to deal with due to complete lack of motivation and/or understanding of how an HR department should be run. All training policies and resources should come from them and there is NO training on company policies and procedures, Stop using strictly contract workers because the high overturn rate actually costs the company money.

Learned a lot, but growth opportunities limited.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Direct Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people and good vacation policy.

Cons

The excitement and camaraderie of the early years at DE are long gone. As a result, there is low employee engagement and significant turnover in key leadership positions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Co-workers were professional, too bad I can't say the same for management

I worked at Direct Energy full-time

Pros

Money was good, co-workers truly wanted to do the best job they could

Cons

Stereotypical corporate culture you see in movies. Managers trying to set up their own little fiefdoms. A lot of micromanagement going on because managers don't trust the people working for them.

Listen to people, not managers.

Poor Management

I worked at Direct Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work Life Balance is decent

Cons

Constant Change and reorganization, Poor morale. Poor upward mobility. Trend is to hire from outside vs. promote from within. Too many meetings.

Try to hang on to the qualified employees and lose some of the upper middle management who have been there too long and don't provide any value.

Good people, poor management.

I worked at Direct Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pretty flexible working conditions. Lots of good people.

Cons

Lack of a strong vision. Lots of favoritism. Seems like people who jump from job to job (but don't actually accomplish anything) are the ones moving up in the organizaiton.

Set a vision, stick to it and follow through. Hire leaders with strong people skills that know how to inspire others.

Good people but the company needs better management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time

Pros

Good people. Have a culture that tries to emphasize employee engagement.

Cons

Management favors certain departments. If you work in the other departments, your compensation is much less, you work like a slave, with very little appreciation.

Hire some new senior leadership

Great culture and work/life balance

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been at DE for about a year and a half and LOVE the culture here. The open floor plan, no offices, set up makes the work environment fun and casual. Upper management are very friendly and truly care about the development of their teams. I have not experienced any micromanagement here and I've never felt the least bit guilty for calling in sick or working from home if I needed to. I've gotten outstanding ratings for my work and feel appreciated. DE encourages time off, mental breaks and not only looks at your work output but also HOW the work was done and if you are a good leader. Truly one of the best companies I've ever worked for.

Cons

DE has grown tremendously in the last 10 years and processes are not always working smoothly here. BUT they are well aware and are working on fixing this issue. It is very fast paced here, which was not an issue for me but some do not prefer that. You definiltey have to be a go getter and proactive about your development, promotions will not just be given to you because of how long you've been here. Some teams have a heavy workload because vacancies but moral and engagement is still high.

Won't Survive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Direct Energy

Pros

Ummmm, well can't think of any.

Cons

Where to begin. Mgmt is all about numbers, does not care if work is good or done properly. No check and balances, no tracking of spend. Very political. Horrible location. Horrible IT, horrible environment. No guidance or accountability. Worst experience, can't wait to quit.

Just shut the doors and save your money. It needs such an overhaul, I wouldn't even know where to begin to tell you to fix it. Fire all middle management, hire ppl with actual experience in the depts they are assigned for one. Hold people accountable. Get check and balances in place. Stop the politics.

DE lacks stability and efficiency

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Direct Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly and supportive co-workers - there are some good, hard working people at this company. Though don't get too attached as most end up leaving sooner than later.

Open plan office environment makes it feel modern and fluid - makes it hard to go back to closed offices

Culture depends on teams and vary significant across different groups. In some groups, the culture provides a comfortable working environment where you can 'be yourself'. Then there are groups where the complete opposite is true.

Cons

Employees are put in a maze-like environment where they do not know where they will end up, and constantly have to adjust to change without any clear direction or guidance.

At some point, it's time to stop chasing the dangling carrot and realize that growth and development are not based on skills or talent. It's based on pure favoritism and that alone over-rides all else, including the needs of the business.

DE is a highly political environment, where the business and success of the company comes second to office politics and individual interests of certain managers. Thus, there are contradictions where managers boast on reducing cost or adding value only to turn around and spend more, spend recklessly on flimsy projects or have no qualms on the turnover rate within their groups, spending more on recruitment fees or premium rates for contractors.

The attrition rate impacts more than just the headcount report - unhappy employees have unhappy things to say about DE in the community and word of mouth carries weight.

Worked for Direct Energy? Contribute to the Community!