Direct Energy

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
2.7

Badar Khan

Pros
  • Direct Energy has a friendly environment and some departments maintain a good work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• In some groups, the culture provides a comfortable working environment where you can 'be yourself' (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance at times, no growth in Canada (in 7 reviews)

• Senior Management changes are frequent and average seniority is 2-4 years (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Generally good company

I worked at Direct Energy

Pros

Great, ambitious and knowledgeable employees. Decent resources to get your job done. Great working environment.

Cons

Leadership is disconnected from reality. Constant change and reorganization doesn't allow anyone to settle into a job, and institutional knowledge is often discounted/lost.

Disappointed with Leadership, Culture

Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Direct Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent salary, free coffee!!!, great office decor

Cons

Not the most stable, congenial or professional company culture. Very high turnover on all levels, not a good sign. Layoffs are not uncommon. Could not grow the company organically only through acquisition, with all the internal turmoil, one can see why. Wanted to like the company and stay awhile but needed out. Found the open seating to be very distracting, not condusive to productivity. Contrary to popular belief, it failed to encourage collaboration or to improve the corporate culture.

The "leadership team" was a big part of the culture issues. Need a more seasoned, professional, and mature group of leaders in order to develop a collaborative culture. There was an insane amount competition among the leadership team. Everyone wanted to be the rockstar and thought they knew more than the next person. The only thing they worked together on was undermining their CEO. Not sure why she kept half of them.

Great company-bad leadership

Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Direct Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits and salary. Very talented people.

Cons

leadership or lack there of.

None, they wouldn't listen anyway.

i really enjoyed working with pci

Former Employee - Operator in Thompson Grove, TX
    Former Employee - Operator in Thompson Grove, TX

I worked at Direct Energy as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

one of the best reasons for working here is the teamwrok other good things would b the pay and careing for employees

Cons

the istability of contract labor

A nice company to work for.

Current Employee - Tax Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Tax Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Direct Energy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flat organization structure, report directly to manager. I work part time: 20 hours a week. Boss is very laid back, transparent and gives me a lot of flexibility with regard to work time and vacation. Green company whose goal is to make employee healthy and participated in many community charities and activities. Provided shower in Westin Hotel for those who need shower after biking or work out. Has a yoga class on Wednesday during lunch time. Connected to Penn Market Corner which sells organic products, delivered directly to the company every week. Company provides meals occasionaly. Employees get along together and often throw parties. Coffees and teas are provided freely in the kitchen, there's a big Starbuck machine on every floor. Lunch room is equipped with microwaves and refrigerators.

Cons

I am a contract employee that do not have access to health care and other perks of FT employees. Did not get a salary increase the past 1 year. For Full Timer: annual review usually comes with 2% salary increase.

The compensation is not worth it.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Direct Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation, and benefits. Bounce and Infrastructure.

Cons

Management can best be describe as back-stabbing, dishonest, short sighted, bottom-Line driven, disorganized, unprofessional, degrading and poor leaders etc.. There are a few exceptions.
    The culture can be described as chaotic, lack of transparency, no follow-through on vision, lack of principles etc.
    The negative reviews are true. It is not worth the salary. STAY AWAY!

The management is the problem. Advice to Centrica: clean house.

It's alright

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Direct Energy as a contractor

Pros

Possibility to advance quickly. Friendly environment.

Cons

Working outside door to door and commission only.

The sales reps need base pay.

Lied about Job Title. Advertised as Sr Position, Title Changed my first day to Jr.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Direct Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very good company for software developers

Cons

I was advertised a senior position. Offer letter came soon after interview with wrong name in it, it was another candidates name. On my first day my tittle suddenly was not Senior XYZ. After weeks of discussing it with my manager, she told me HR made a mistake when they advertised the position. The position was clearly titled Senior XYZ and I still have a printed copy of it till this day. So I pretended to agree with my manager that its cool and I'll just smile like there's nothing wrong moving from my previous employer with a Senior XYZ title to a new company here with a Jr Title and pay cut. I did my time here until I could get clearance to go back to my old employer and my old title again.

This organization wastes a lot of money on unnecessary stuff. They will buy things and not utilize them for the life cycle. No one got paid bonuses for the year.

Absolutely the worst, most disorganized, poorly managed companies I have worked for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Direct Energy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The company has some of the brightest talent with a strong work ethic people I have ever ad the pleasure to work with. As a contract worker, the compensation is the best I have been offered. The offices are lovely and location is you choose to move closer to the office, is spectacular.

Cons

The company has one of the highest turn over rates I have ever seen. It appears it is a policy to use contract workers so the company doe not have to pay benefits. I was working 18 hour days in order to get the department I had been hired to work with. They were a hot mess in their internal system due to original set up. The only leadership was the most unprofessional, rude, harassing, individuals I have come in contact with in the 25 years I have been working. Absolutely NO training in place. I was lied straight to my face by 3 upper management employees that if I took the job with them and passed up a different opportunity, I would have job security. It was a complete fabrication.

Hire people who are experienced, bright and dedicated. Utilized them to attract more people like them and then decide what the company goals are and actually communicate them to your employees. "Clean house" in the HR department because it was on of the most frustrating experiences I have ever had to deal with due to complete lack of motivation and/or understanding of how an HR department should be run. All training policies and resources should come from them and there is NO training on company policies and procedures, Stop using strictly contract workers because the high overturn rate actually costs the company money.

Learned a lot, but growth opportunities limited.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Direct Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people and good vacation policy.

Cons

The excitement and camaraderie of the early years at DE are long gone. As a result, there is low employee engagement and significant turnover in key leadership positions.

Direct Energy Photos