Direct Energy Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
200 reviews filtered by
2.8
Badar Khan

Pros
  • Direct Energy has a friendly environment and some departments maintain a good work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

• In some groups, the culture provides a comfortable working environment where you can 'be yourself' (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance at times, no growth in Canada (in 7 reviews)

• Senior Management changes are frequent and average seniority is 2-4 years (in 7 reviews)

1. Energy Company

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Open work environment, parking garage attached to building, parking included in salary, modern decor, friendly coworkers, good amount of volunteering opportunities.

Cons

Lack of opportunity for upward mobility; inflexibility to work from home or to work flexible work schedule. Lower 401k match than similar employers.

Take action on employee survey feedback, provide real opporutnities for upward mobility, promote from within, train first time managers on how to properly manage employees for success

2. Not the best, not the worst

Current Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Pay and benefits are pretty good.
    - Most employees are friendly and hard working.
    - When they lay people off, they usually let them stay for a few months more, to give them time to find a new job.

Cons

- Constant turnover of employees and positions, from the highest to the lowest echelons.
    - Lots of incompetence or lack of experience, at all levels.
    - Management does a poor job at communicating specifics, although they try hard to communicate a vague vision of where they hope to be heading.
    - Limited opportunities for career growth and advancement.
    - Many acquisitions of other companies, but a lousy job of integrating them into the mother ship.

Hire competent people, let them become proficient at what they are supposed to be doing long term, and then make an effort to retain them.
    Focus most resources on the core business instead of always starting new initiatives.

3. Direct Energy - Review

Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Woodbridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Woodbridge, NJ

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Young company, lots of initiatives and opportunity for growth

Cons

Messy environment because of all of the acquisitions the company has made

Fully integrate the companies that you've acquired

5. Do Not Work Here ! Horrible comapany to work for. U will be surprised if they even pay you for the weeks your work!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/DISPATCH in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/DISPATCH in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Direct Energy

Pros

You have good benefits. That is really about all they have going.

Cons

They change bonus programs all the time, you might get 20$ a week bonus! U are a number they only care about Upper Management.

I would give them adivce but they dont listen to anything! That is why they get sued all the time! I am pretty sure that all upper management was required to fail an IQ test before getting the job!

6. Going downhill

Former Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Direct Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fairly progressive work culture when I left, with decent benefits and management that at least gave lip service to a work life balance.

Cons

When I started at Direct Energy, I thought I had found a company that I could spend the rest of my life working for. After an early 2012 reorganization in which they let some of their best talent and leadership go, I lost a lot of faith in the company and the direction that it headed in. 2013 saw another reorganization and more of the same. The way they shifted people around and let others go gave me the impression that management did not have a firm direction that they wanted to go in, and reeked of indecisiveness. It used to be that they were a company which empowered their employees despite and strived for a fun and flexible work environment to make up for lower-than-average salaries. Unfortunately by the time that I left there was not much worth sticking around for.

Give your employees some degree of stability and loyalty and maybe you can make the company a great place to work for again.

Big, bigger and biggest

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Direct Energy

Pros

If you can find someone who has been there longer than a year, they seem to be eager to help you acclimate. Also, people don't seem to freeze in their current roles. Department changes, employee transitions, etc... force you to learn other roles.

Cons

Employee churn and the inability to grow organically

I would focus on organic growth rather than through M & A. Not being able to grow organically told me everything I needed to know.

8. Great Place to Work

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great People, Great Engagement, Positive Leadership, At the top end of our Industry

Cons

Youth to some extent.

9. Good Company, Lots of Changes, Moderately Good Money

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

For young workers, good groundfloor sales experience: For older workers, great health benefits, good 401K.
    For a REAL sales personality, fairly good commission plan but nothing to shout about. Great place to work, very diverse workforce in age, sex, and racial makeup. Software program is insanely easy to navigate.

Cons

QA, conversion percentages, and commission structure need work. Very questionable format for a real sales personality. BE VERY CAREFUL applying for this position if you are a sales personality. Company is setup for non sales personalities, but trying to move to sales environment.

Conversion based payout sucks, when all of the calls are computed into the totals. How is a hangup, transfer, installation question, and wrong numbers, considered a valid call? Simply decreasing the amount paid on each sale until certain plateaus would be more effecient. QA grades should only impact percentages paid on collected revenue.

Was fun while it lasted

Former Employee - Tax Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Tax Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Direct Energy part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Laid back, good interior, free coffee. They may have some good department to work for.

Cons

Unstable, unsettled. They never let people settle in their positions. Work load can be stressful. Backstabbing when it comes to laying off people. Was told that my part time contract job can not be extended beyond year end and they laid off my boss too with no prior notice. They are moving the whole tax team to Houston, TX. No tax job in DE Pittsburgh! Corporate HQ in Houston failed to place a proper procedure on their residential customers resulting in a huge $1 M+ penalties and assessment from PA Dept. of Revenue. Hence the cutback on employees.

Be more transparent and invest more in your people, instead of treating them like a mean to an end.

11. Excellent company

Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Direct Energy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good work and family life balance
    Good pay
    Good colleagues

Cons

None that I can think of...

Direct Energy Photos