Direct Energy

Updated November 30, 2014
Updated November 30, 2014
2.8

Badar Khan

Pros
  • Direct Energy has a friendly environment and some departments maintain a good work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

• In some groups, the culture provides a comfortable working environment where you can 'be yourself' (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance at times, no growth in Canada (in 7 reviews)

• Senior Management changes are frequent and average seniority is 2-4 years (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Company And Career Experience

Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time

Pros

Management makes wise financial decisions, generates revenue from sheer volume and diversified businesses and take a genuine and legitimate interest in the well being of their employees. Constant engagement activities, perks such as meals, snacks, company parties and challenging but rewarding work make this a wonderful place to be. An open door policy is always practiced, and micro-managing is discouraged. Senior and executive management are accessible and ensure they maintain amicable and friendly relationships with people. Great compensation, diverse and interesting workforce, international exposure.

Cons

As a large organization, communication across various lines of business can slow things down. The padding and inefficiencies of quick and sudden growth can exist in young organizations. It is sometimes difficult for new (and extant) employees to have awareness of the location or even existence of the many resources that are available at this company.

Keep up the great work. It's great to have a company where managers take responsibility for the encouragement and development of the junior employees. Continue to create a culture where rudeness, throwing people under the bus and other corporate back-knifing stand out and are completely unacceptable.
    One thing I would like to see is more resources put into helping employees with a career path. It's a new organization, so there aren't very many such identified paths, but it would be great if some work was put into that. But, overall, I love it here and think it's a GREAT company to be! Keep up the great work in giving people the tools to be their best!

The Time is Now

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management couldn't be better at DE. This is THE energy company to work for I Houston

Cons

None. Anything that may be said NEGATIVELY about DE is old news from 2-3 YEARS AGO.

Accounting Intern

Former Employee - Accounting Intern in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Accounting Intern in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at Direct Energy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

-Good pay
    -Great environment
    -Friendly staff
    -Dinner for overtime

Cons

There were absolutely no cons.

Keep being awesome!

Great culture and work/life balance

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been at DE for about a year and a half and LOVE the culture here. The open floor plan, no offices, set up makes the work environment fun and casual. Upper management are very friendly and truly care about the development of their teams. I have not experienced any micromanagement here and I've never felt the least bit guilty for calling in sick or working from home if I needed to. I've gotten outstanding ratings for my work and feel appreciated. DE encourages time off, mental breaks and not only looks at your work output but also HOW the work was done and if you are a good leader. Truly one of the best companies I've ever worked for.

Cons

DE has grown tremendously in the last 10 years and processes are not always working smoothly here. BUT they are well aware and are working on fixing this issue. It is very fast paced here, which was not an issue for me but some do not prefer that. You definiltey have to be a go getter and proactive about your development, promotions will not just be given to you because of how long you've been here. Some teams have a heavy workload because vacancies but moral and engagement is still high.

Great people, fun environment, lots of change

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation, recognition program, employee comms and offices are all awesome. Lots of effort spent. The culture is fun as a result.

Cons

Lots of change; which isn't a bad thing unless not planned and prioritized better

Focus on fewer things that could be done really well

Contractor

Current Employee - Desktop Support in Woodbridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Desktop Support in Woodbridge, NJ

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working every day with overtime.

Cons

Soon to be over and have to look for work.

Overall Great Experience!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best work/home balance I have ever experienced working for a Fortune company.. At best, the people truly make this place as comfortable, positive and entertaining as possible. Driven by results, overall one of the best companies I have had the pleasure of working for in 22 years. Great opportunities for advancement and a great place to share ideas and grow within a winning team.

Cons

Some of the downsides are that I have experienced some days to be a bit overwhelming because we are a continually growing company.

I would say that team building events and team outings are perfect to ease some workplace stress but overall Management does a wonderful job at including every person that is an employee, and it makes such a difference in the productivity. Badar is hands down one of the most sincere, honest and capable people I have ever come in dealings with. He is sharp and the vision that he has for the company in what he has shared is motivating.

Sr Director

I worked at Direct Energy

Pros

Unlimited career opportunity, strong growth strategy

Cons

The moved all operation to the US.

Hire and keep knowledgable employee, do not letther location impact your decision. In the cyber world, physical location should not be a criteria to hire good talent

Growing &Positive place to be

Current Employee - Human Resources Support Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources Support Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

High Energy, fast paced environment.

Cons

Nothing that I have come across yet.

Keep it up

Great Company to work for...

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Market leader with continual market share improvements

Cons

none that are very significant

always keep direct contact with lower level employees to make sure they are happy campers

Direct Energy Photos