Direct Energy

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
2.8

Badar Khan

Pros
  • Direct Energy has a friendly environment and some departments maintain a good work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• In some groups, the culture provides a comfortable working environment where you can 'be yourself' (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance at times, no growth in Canada (in 6 reviews)

• Senior Management changes are frequent and average seniority is 2-4 years (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company-bad leadership

Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager  in  Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Direct Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great benefits and salary. Very talented people.

Cons

leadership or lack there of.

None, they wouldn't listen anyway.

Absolutely the worst, most disorganized, poorly managed companies I have worked for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Direct Energy as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The company has some of the brightest talent with a strong work ethic people I have ever ad the pleasure to work with. As a contract worker, the compensation is the best I have been offered. The offices are lovely and location is you choose to move closer to the office, is spectacular.

Cons

The company has one of the highest turn over rates I have ever seen. It appears it is a policy to use contract workers so the company doe not have to pay benefits. I was working 18 hour days in order to get the department I had been hired to work with. They were a hot mess in their internal system due to original set up. The only leadership was the most unprofessional, rude, harassing, individuals I have come in contact with in the 25 years I have been working. Absolutely NO training in place. I was lied straight to my face by 3 upper management employees that if I took the job with them and passed up a different opportunity, I would have job security. It was a complete fabrication.

Hire people who are experienced, bright and dedicated. Utilized them to attract more people like them and then decide what the company goals are and actually communicate them to your employees. "Clean house" in the HR department because it was on of the most frustrating experiences I have ever had to deal with due to complete lack of motivation and/or understanding of how an HR department should be run. All training policies and resources should come from them and there is NO training on company policies and procedures, Stop using strictly contract workers because the high overturn rate actually costs the company money.

Experienced more than I would have experienced elsewhere only because it is Direct Energy

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Direct Energy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The opportunity to learn and experience is there for those who are looking for this. Direct Energy allows employees, who otherwise might not have had the opportunity to experience many facets of working in a large, international company, to experience a multitude of activities.

Will support on-going learning for employees.

It strongly supports career growth; our careers are 'ours' to manage, it is not about the company managing these on your behalf. Of course there must be opportunity, but it is the employee who needs to take charge and take his/her career forward. For those who do, it can be a rewarding place to work. For those who don't; well that is a missed opportunity.

Good backing from the UK allows the company to have a strong balance sheet and access to capital.

Good ideas abound, but more of these need to be executed well.

Pays above average for talent.

Good track record for bonus payout and allows some flexibility with working arrangements

Cons

Work life balance is a challenge

Disparate systems and processes that need to be fixed; albeit at least there is a recognition of this and as long as plans are developed and implemented according to the original need, there might be some success.

Highly politicized.

Could always do better with implementation of new processes.

The reverse of a 'pro' is that because Direct allows and provides more accountability, some staff are over-matched and out of their element.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A nice company to work for.

Current Employee - Tax Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Tax Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Direct Energy part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flat organization structure, report directly to manager. I work part time: 20 hours a week. Boss is very laid back, transparent and gives me a lot of flexibility with regard to work time and vacation. Green company whose goal is to make employee healthy and participated in many community charities and activities. Provided shower in Westin Hotel for those who need shower after biking or work out. Has a yoga class on Wednesday during lunch time. Connected to Penn Market Corner which sells organic products, delivered directly to the company every week. Company provides meals occasionaly. Employees get along together and often throw parties. Coffees and teas are provided freely in the kitchen, there's a big Starbuck machine on every floor. Lunch room is equipped with microwaves and refrigerators.

Cons

I am a contract employee that do not have access to health care and other perks of FT employees. Did not get a salary increase the past 1 year. For Full Timer: annual review usually comes with 2% salary increase.

It's alright

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Direct Energy as a contractor

Pros

Possibility to advance quickly. Friendly environment.

Cons

Working outside door to door and commission only.

The sales reps need base pay.

Learned a lot, but growth opportunities limited.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Direct Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people and good vacation policy.

Cons

The excitement and camaraderie of the early years at DE are long gone. As a result, there is low employee engagement and significant turnover in key leadership positions.

Friendly environment

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place overall. Very friendly environment with great co-workers.

Cons

Promotions and raises are hard to come by

Co-workers were professional, too bad I can't say the same for management

I worked at Direct Energy full-time

Pros

Money was good, co-workers truly wanted to do the best job they could

Cons

Stereotypical corporate culture you see in movies. Managers trying to set up their own little fiefdoms. A lot of micromanagement going on because managers don't trust the people working for them.

Listen to people, not managers.

Poor Management

I worked at Direct Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work Life Balance is decent

Cons

Constant Change and reorganization, Poor morale. Poor upward mobility. Trend is to hire from outside vs. promote from within. Too many meetings.

Try to hang on to the qualified employees and lose some of the upper middle management who have been there too long and don't provide any value.

Good company but bad for Canadians

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Direct Energy full-time

Pros

Good salary, benefits, good coworkers. I was allowed to bank overtime and take time off in lieu. Really feel appreciated by everyone.

Cons

Poor work life balance at times, no growth in Canada. Lots of turnover of middle and upper management means less stability. Lots of outsourcing means limited career growth in IT.

Better long term planning, more investment in employees.

Worked for Direct Energy? Contribute to the Community!