Direct General

Good For Entry Level

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Shreveport, LA

I worked at Direct General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits were decent and I got along with my co-workers

Cons

The upper management that was in my district was not trust worthy. The manager over my area was doing under handed things like signing off on contacts that she was not licensed in but she got fired for dishonest practice. But one good thing is that headquarters follow guidelines and they don't tolerate that kind of behavior at all.

Can be improved the lower management.

IT

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Direct General

Pros

Just the worker bees. Good, hard working people.

Cons

Terrible management. No benefits. Sweatshop with 6 paid holidays. Whoop!

To the board...clean the IT house. Complete reorg at the director level and higher is the only solution.

Good company overall, great CEO.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Direct General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good people, decent pay, nice work/life balance.

Cons

high turnover, lower education levels of some sales employees can be a challenge with communication.

Think twice before you join- make this your last choice

Former Employee - Sales Agent

I worked at Direct General full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You don't have to work past 5:30pm. You wear a uniform so you don't have to buy clothes. The PTO and health benefits are pretty good.

Cons

You have to work Saturdays, the outside marketing expectations are unreasonable to stay inline with the inside sales goals, the commission is probably the absolute lowest in the whole industry, and the turnover of managers and sales reps is huge. There is no room for advancement. You are expected to clean the office, bathrooms and windows. The systems are slow and old. They will do anything within their power no to pay you overtime. There is no Bonus programs- you might get a $25 gift every once and a blue.

What at a local office for 1 solid month and meet the sales and marketing goals.

Great Place to work... But

I have been working at Direct General full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people, great benefits, comfortable, great job for those who need a place to work until you finish school. I would recommend this company to work for but for only a temporarily job.

Cons

Under paid for work, management not considerate of employees just with making money. No company growth.

New companies policies (let employees voice their opinions in determining new company policies), more compensation for workers, start promoting from within the company.

Bitter Sweet

Current Employee - Sales Agent
    Current Employee - Sales Agent

I have been working at Direct General full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are great able tp work independant

Cons

Guidelines are to strict, agents are treated like the peons of the company, no room for growth, products is inferior, Upper management has no Insurance Background, product is too expensive, agents are constantly being intimmidated by district Managers if they do not sell a particular ancillary, No Christmas bonus or party, no appreciation for the work and dedication we do, not allowed to work overtime but when we cannot leave ontime we are working off the clock, and the marketing iniciatives done at a corporate level are a waste of money and time that money would be better applied to offering an increase in our hourly wages or reducing the premiums or doing area marketing via mailers or other advertisement.

All upper management should be licensed and definately the District Managers should. District managers should be promoted from within not brought in from another industry of sales such as rental car sales management etc.... and the district managers should have better writting skills and not use slang or ebonics when they right or have their morning conference calls. Also they must learn to use a better tone of voice and writting when reprimanding or calling out someones, or a groups attention to a praticular situtation.

Sales Agent

I worked at Direct General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Only thing at the end of my time there worth working for were the benefits, and now I'm only paying a bit more for a private policy.

Cons

Terrible pay and the raises are a total joke! Mgmt pays themselves first and then sales agents get the bottom of the barrel. While working there, emails were sent out instructing agents to market on lunch breaks which is highly illegal. Plain out idiots are put into mgmt roles there.. It's an elementary type click with mgmt.. One of my first training "waste of time" sessions, a seasoned agent who had been there for a decade made a sarcastic remark to me the I am now at an Ancillary company selling insurance, which means as long as I sell Direct's ancillary/extra products at their target goal, then I would be a favorite, but if I don't learn to slide in those extras and churn policies, then I'll never move up. He was 110% accurate!!! Agents are not truly selling insurance, it's all about the extra's.. Roadside, Life, EPP, which don't work over half the time! So, Direct is all about misleading the customer into adding on the ancillaries..or as the mgmt puts in Quote, Disclose and Close! There was really nothing good about this company, especially when being trained to lie to customers with an honest smile.

Company is too far gone! Needs total restructuring!

Sad..just sad

Current Employee - Insurance Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at Direct General full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Health insurance benefits are the only good thing left here.

Cons

So many to list. Management does not care about us as people. Nothing is ever good enough. Just when you have a good sales day and feel successful they come along and remind you of something that you're not doing right, very negative and we are on constant watch for nick-picking. Been here a long time, seen lots of changed come and go. It just keeps getting worse. Upper management has no insurance background, most of the higher ups don't even have an insurance license yet they assume to know how you should do it. Their whole focus has shifted to marketing & new to brand customers. They except us to spend our time and gas marketing all week to reach people who aren't going to switch to us anyway b/c their rates are too good w/ the companies they are with already. What can we offer them? Nothing! Yet all the the while we can't service the current customers who are spending their money w/ us b/c we are "marketing".

If they actually cared to know they would listen to us already. They don't value their employes or customers, we are just numbers to them.

Good place to gain experience if you are entry level

Former Employee - IT in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - IT in Nashville, TN

I worked at Direct General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to gain experience if you are new to the field. If you get into a good team , then good work life balance .

Cons

HR does not care for employees nor keeps in touch with employees. They are not friendly or approachable . turnover high in executives . Bad salary/compensation.Not competitive in today's market . No bonus if you are not in management level position .

Please work on increasing work ethic and don't treat employees as trash and treat everyone is replaceable .

Unappreciated and not valued for the work that you do for the company.

Current Employee - Office Manager
    Current Employee - Office Manager

I have been working at Direct General full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with Good People.
    Getting to know your customers

Cons

Upper management has no insurance background
    Do not value their employees.
    They feel that everyone is replaceable.

Hire managers that has insurance industry knowledge
    Value your hardworking employees