Direct General

John W. Mullen

Good For Entry Level

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Shreveport, LA

I worked at Direct General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits were decent and I got along with my co-workers

Cons

The upper management that was in my district was not trust worthy. The manager over my area was doing under handed things like signing off on contacts that she was not licensed in but she got fired for dishonest practice. But one good thing is that headquarters follow guidelines and they don't tolerate that kind of behavior at all.

Can be improved the lower management.

It has gone downhill through the years

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Direct General full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pto and benefits are decent. Days off are usually flexible in most cases. Stable job but you never know what could happen. Nice customers, some great co-workers.

Cons

-Unrealistic marketing expectations every week that are nothing but wasted time, gas and energy. Save your money on paying out for mileage.
    -It takes a month or longer for gas reimbursement.
    -High cancellation rates, commission needs to be restructured.
    -Having to sell ancillary products to make commission
    -Agents who's been here for 10 years or more in comparison to someone who's new or only a few years are only off by 1-3 dollars difference in hourly.
    -They got rid of "managers" position but added "lead agent" position but not offer anything additional in salary to do extra work in the office and marketing duties.
    -Cold calling to same customers to make their payment every month and having to make numerous calls to quotes previously done for followups. It becomes an annoyance and even harassment to some.
    -Not pushing BI coverage for people but rather these ancillary products.
    -No special bonuses, no Christmas parties, no appreciation, only a 10-25 $ gift card once in awhile if you're lucky.
    - No room for advancement unless you're in Tennessee where corporate is.
    -You are expected to do a wide range of duties here and all not relating to your particular position.
    - DSMs hired w no insurance background.
    -Over worked and under paid. It's never good enough.
    -Having to buy our own uniforms.
    -Micro - managing
    -Not allowed to have a personal photo on our desks
    - Feels like grade school here even though we all have licenses, industry experiences and even degrees.
    -Having so many emails coming through from all different departments with various expectations can be overwhelming.

Get rid of this unproductive marketing that we do. We are licensed to sell not market..hire marketers who are paid for what they're worth to market and they will produce better results then using sales agents. It's nothing but wasted time and energy. We have to focus on so much already in the office.

Employee's morale is low, company culture has gone downhill even worse than before a few years back. Stop being so money hungry and take care of your hard working employees who are the backbone of the company.

The worst company I've ever worked for!

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Jackson, MS

I worked at Direct General full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the direct uniformed was casual

Cons

They take micromanaging to a different level. Daily routine consisted of harassing the same former customers and new ones to come and pay ridicules prices for subpar insurance. Marketing was ineffective and a waste of time. Claims was a joke and underwriting didn't know anything about company policies and issues. Usually, your immediate supervisor would have no insurance background as they only hired people that came from retail sales only. The pay was not enough to compensate for what the job entailed.

replace all human beings with robots because everyone was overworked and underpaid!

IT

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Direct General

Pros

Just the worker bees. Good, hard working people.

Cons

Terrible management. No benefits. Sweatshop with 6 paid holidays. Whoop!

To the board...clean the IT house. Complete reorg at the director level and higher is the only solution.

Good company overall, great CEO.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Direct General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good people, decent pay, nice work/life balance.

Cons

high turnover, lower education levels of some sales employees can be a challenge with communication.

Think twice before you join- make this your last choice

Former Employee - Sales Agent

I worked at Direct General full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You don't have to work past 5:30pm. You wear a uniform so you don't have to buy clothes. The PTO and health benefits are pretty good.

Cons

You have to work Saturdays, the outside marketing expectations are unreasonable to stay inline with the inside sales goals, the commission is probably the absolute lowest in the whole industry, and the turnover of managers and sales reps is huge. There is no room for advancement. You are expected to clean the office, bathrooms and windows. The systems are slow and old. They will do anything within their power no to pay you overtime. There is no Bonus programs- you might get a $25 gift every once and a blue.

What at a local office for 1 solid month and meet the sales and marketing goals.

Great Place to work... But

I have been working at Direct General full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people, great benefits, comfortable, great job for those who need a place to work until you finish school. I would recommend this company to work for but for only a temporarily job.

Cons

Under paid for work, management not considerate of employees just with making money. No company growth.

New companies policies (let employees voice their opinions in determining new company policies), more compensation for workers, start promoting from within the company.

Sales Agent

Former Employee - Sales Agent

I worked at Direct General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Only thing at the end of my time there worth working for were the benefits, and now I'm only paying a bit more for a private policy.

Cons

Terrible pay and the raises are a total joke! Mgmt pays themselves first and then sales agents get the bottom of the barrel. While working there, emails were sent out instructing agents to market on lunch breaks which is highly illegal. Plain out idiots are put into mgmt roles there.. It's an elementary type click with mgmt.. One of my first training "waste of time" sessions, a seasoned agent who had been there for a decade made a sarcastic remark to me the I am now at an Ancillary company selling insurance, which means as long as I sell Direct's ancillary/extra products at their target goal, then I would be a favorite, but if I don't learn to slide in those extras and churn policies, then I'll never move up. He was 110% accurate!!! Agents are not truly selling insurance, it's all about the extra's.. Roadside, Life, EPP, which don't work over half the time! So, Direct is all about misleading the customer into adding on the ancillaries..or as the mgmt puts in Quote, Disclose and Close! There was really nothing good about this company, especially when being trained to lie to customers with an honest smile.

Company is too far gone! Needs total restructuring!

Bitter Sweet

Current Employee - Sales Agent
    Current Employee - Sales Agent

I have been working at Direct General full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are great able tp work independant

Cons

Guidelines are to strict, agents are treated like the peons of the company, no room for growth, products is inferior, Upper management has no Insurance Background, product is too expensive, agents are constantly being intimmidated by district Managers if they do not sell a particular ancillary, No Christmas bonus or party, no appreciation for the work and dedication we do, not allowed to work overtime but when we cannot leave ontime we are working off the clock, and the marketing iniciatives done at a corporate level are a waste of money and time that money would be better applied to offering an increase in our hourly wages or reducing the premiums or doing area marketing via mailers or other advertisement.

All upper management should be licensed and definately the District Managers should. District managers should be promoted from within not brought in from another industry of sales such as rental car sales management etc.... and the district managers should have better writting skills and not use slang or ebonics when they right or have their morning conference calls. Also they must learn to use a better tone of voice and writting when reprimanding or calling out someones, or a groups attention to a praticular situtation.

Sad..just sad

Current Employee - Insurance Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at Direct General full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Health insurance benefits are the only good thing left here.

Cons

So many to list. Management does not care about us as people. Nothing is ever good enough. Just when you have a good sales day and feel successful they come along and remind you of something that you're not doing right, very negative and we are on constant watch for nick-picking. Been here a long time, seen lots of changed come and go. It just keeps getting worse. Upper management has no insurance background, most of the higher ups don't even have an insurance license yet they assume to know how you should do it. Their whole focus has shifted to marketing & new to brand customers. They except us to spend our time and gas marketing all week to reach people who aren't going to switch to us anyway b/c their rates are too good w/ the companies they are with already. What can we offer them? Nothing! Yet all the the while we can't service the current customers who are spending their money w/ us b/c we are "marketing".

If they actually cared to know they would listen to us already. They don't value their employes or customers, we are just numbers to them.

Direct General Photos