Direct General Reviews

57 reviews filtered by
2.5
Direct General CEO John W. Mullen
John W. Mullen

Pros
  • good people, decent pay, nice work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Company has good Health Insurance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Usually, your immediate supervisor would have no insurance background as they only hired people that came from retail sales only (in 6 reviews)

• The upper management that was in my district was not trust worthy (in 6 reviews)

1. Needs a better training program.

Former Employee - Seceterial in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Seceterial in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Direct General

Pros

Enjoyed working with the públic.

Cons

Not much in the way of employee incentives.

Battery incentives & Training.

2. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Corporate in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Corporate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Direct General

Pros

Nice people, opportunity for advancement, salary and benefits, pleasant environment, flexibility of schedule, PTO, paid holidays (6 plus 3 floating holidays).

Cons

There really aren't any significant cons to working here at Direct. The office location is not great (acceptable but not great) however the building is nice.

3. Good company. Good people. Some departments are understaffed/ overworked and overwhelmed.

I have been working at Direct General

Pros

Company is growing in their territory and expanding their territory. Plenty of growth for years to come. Good benefits.

Cons

Going through major growing pains. Installing new systems to streamline the volume but until new systems already coming and other new systems in planning are installed, some departments are feeling understaffed, overworked and overwhelmed. Things should improve in a year's time, give or take, when all these state of the art new systems are in place.

Hurry up with setting up the upcoming systems and the other systems in future plan. You want to continue to expand but it is not easy on your corporate staff to take on the additional locations without feeling overwhelmed.

5. Transitional position after agency acquisition

Former Employee - Regional Operations Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Regional Operations Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Direct General

Pros

Good benefits and PTO accruals quickly

Cons

Lack of marketable insurance products

6. Okay place to work

I worked at Direct General

Pros

Nice co workers and decent pay

Cons

not organized workers were not made clear of what their responsibilitis.

pay good get good people

Good money, terrible work environment.

Former Employee - Office Manager
    Former Employee - Office Manager

I worked at Direct General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great hourly rate, if you ask up front for the correct amount. Otherwise, they will hire you at a lower rate. If you perform (make sales) then you not only make great commission, but you get quarterly raises. Although the raises aren't much, you will still get extra hourly. I personally had an amazing boss, who has since left the company due to poor upper management.

Cons

Poor top level management. Sometimes hateful and demeaning talk towards employees.

Promote more from within. Care more about the quality of customer than you do about the money. Continuously aiming for customers that are non standard, led to theft and burglary. Instead, aim for a larger client base, allowing the customer base to be more diverse.

Dallas Adjuster Perspective

I have been working at Direct General full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Like most adjusters, I started out at a standard carrier, fresh out of college, then parted ways when I realized there was a bigger world out there than just handling one kind of claim and one venue. Non-standard insurance companies sell to a more rugged type of individual, so if you're on the PD or unrep'd BI side, you'll need a lot of patience, where as attorney/lit adjusters won't notice that much of a change. In any case, there are a number of very likeable things about working claims at Direct (at least in the Irving office). The company has been getting steadily more competetive in terms of pay -- right now it's probably in the 40th percentile, which is a big improvement from where it was years ago, and has managed to attract good talent. It's still on an upward trend, and salary corrections are not uncommon. The company is segmented well, giving adjusters a well defined career path with pay bumps with each promotion. The management is more reasonable and friendly than the vast majority of companies, perhaps erring to the side of being laidback, but they are intolerant of obvious slacking/inappropriate behavior. Unlike most big carriers, Direct will actually stick to the counselling process and endeavor to keep counselled employees versus willy-nilly termination. Integrity issues are an exception, of course. Barring a few outliers, most of the frontline employees, supervisors, and higher-ups are really friendly and personable. Training and development are a growth opportunity for the company -- but nonetheless, the company generally promotes from within. Direct operates in MO, AR, and TX on east, the northmost territory is VA. The company is profitable and growing, and is working on westward expansion. This has also meant job opportunities. About 5 of the current supervisors were promoted from reps within the past 2-3 years. For someone smart, motivated, and efficient, this can be a good place to get a lot of experience quickly, and start climbing the ladder faster than you can at Geico or Allstate. The benefits are pretty good in terms of health care, but the 401k match is only 3% and vests over 3 years. My speculation is that any negative reviews are outdated (the company has been on an upward trend, especially since CEO John Mullen took over) or perhaps from new agents who found out they weren't cut out for sales. I can't comment on the appraisal or corporate environment.

Cons

The claims and imaging software can be tedious, and seems to add time to claims handling. The pay is mid-range at best, and annual raises are nominal, so if you are tenured, negotiate your pay up front, and if you are brand-spanking new, then work hard for that promotion. The company places a lot value on closing claims (closing ratio) every month, which can mean semi-voluntary overtime during the last week of the month. None of these really offsets the positive environment, though. I am not aware of many claims jobs that don't at some point require overtime. Most people who work in the Dallas claims office are happy, albeit hardworked.

Keep the train on the tracks! Especially when it comes to simplifying the audit and streamlining the software.

9. Middle managers on your back

Former Employee - Lead Sales Agent in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Agent in Nashville, TN

I worked at Direct General

Pros

Steady paycheck yep, its steady. Is that 5 words yet?

Cons

Marketing BS, events BS, WTF do they
     Want? Customer will come in when they decide. No amount of passing out business cards and building partnerships with laundry mats, repairshops, pawn shops, hsir dressers, mattress stores, or for heaven sakes cash advance stores are going to increase traffic . Do some damn advertising and quit looking like fools saying things like, it is 12 noon and no one has sold one yet. Put out some cookies and bottle water

Reduce layers of mgmnt, let us care about customer and not making you happy. And no, you eant be happy if we do what we should with customer.

10. Excellent

I have been working at Direct General

Pros

Great working environment with little interference.

Cons

Lower class of customer financially speaking.

Sped more money on advertising and market.

Ok Benefits, micro-management

Current Employee - Sales Agent
    Current Employee - Sales Agent

I have been working at Direct General full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Health Insurance, uniforms, co-workers, paid time off

Cons

Micro-management, unrealistic marketing plan, no flexibility in sales plans, low commission, high chargebacks on cancelled policies, no bonus, small raises when they happen (rarely). Management has no care in the world for what it is like to work in the field. We are encouraged to work on our unpaid lunch break and spend our own gas for marketing. When it's time to get an expense check it takes months to get approved or conveniently gets lost. New district managers have never worked in insurance. They ran restaurant chains or retail chains. Turnover is so high that we always work on a skeleton staff and then they complain when our customer service scores suffer because the customer has to wait.

Read these comments. Every one. Find out why everyone on Glassdoor is saying the same thing. Try to understand why they don't agree with you. Make
    Decisions with everyone in mind. Not just yourselves. The customer. The agent. The underwriter. Everyone the decision affects. Do right by US.

Direct General Photos