Direct Technology

3.6

Rick Nelson

I'm biased but honest

I have been working at Direct Technology full-time

Pros

I'm biased because I work there and will continue to work for DT as long as they will have me. But I will be honest. The managers, owners and employees are all supportive and encouraging. Ultimately, every professional job comes down to hard work and aptitude. If you work for DT, then you already have the aptitude so the hard work is up to you. And the company consistently rewards hard work. Very supportive and employee centered atmosphere.

Cons

It's a small, fast-paced company with some ambiguity and quick thinking. This is NOT a con unless you need lots of structure, micromanagement and bureaucracy to thrive. But if you thrive in a fast-paced and flexible environment, then DT is the right place for you. By the way, Google and Apple are also fast-paced and sometimes ambiguous environments so clearly this strategy works.

Keep working with your employees and keep up the good work!

The "Google" of Roseville

Current Employee - Anonymous in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Direct Technology full-time

Pros

A growing company. Awesome rec room, stocked with free fruit, snacks, sodas/energy drinks, espresso machine. Kegorator. Great ownership & management. Constant events and celebrations

Cons

No cons here. If you want to grow, the opportunity to is here. Everyone ends up somewhere, some people get there on purpose.

Keep up the great work, continue to inspire, drive for personal growth, and let the perks keep coming.

Out of Touch Microsoft-backed Con Artists

Current Employee - Developer in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Direct Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free beer (makes the code look better), free junk food (the put out twice a week to cut down on thievery [this is a sign people are under paid, duh], so there is usually none there when really needed), low expectations (most of the day is spent surfing the web), and great people (almost exclusively non-management).

Cons

Fake reviews on glass door, horrible company culture, poor benefits, and pay that is matched by retail jobs. HR is broken. Fake "partners" program. Just a bad place to work, avoid at all costs.

Stop "leading by example", the upper management are a bunch of cons that need "company men" to keep the ship afloat. Demand truly better pay to retain talent and dismiss those that impede progression due to negativity.

Dishonest, Disorganized and Demoralizing

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Direct Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have a fancy machine that makes free coffee drinks (when it is working, and when it has ingredients). They have a pool table and ping-pong table, although everyone tends to be too overworked to use them. That's the best I can do for "pros".

Cons

To sum up, their pay is low, their benefits are bare-bones and overpriced, you will be expected to work 10-12 every day without overtime pay, they mostly offer contract positions (though they dangle a carrot of full-time employment that likely won't ever happen), they don't manage their programs or projects (which are all in shambles), there is no training, documentation or direction. You will be set up for failure, and they will demean and demoralize you for not living up to their undefined expectations.

They lie about contract-to-hire positions. They have NO intention of hiring you, even if your signed contract says they will. Mine said that at the end of 90 days, if I had not been fired (yes, they actually said that), they would hire me and give me a living wage. That didn't happen. They strung me along for several more months, claiming they would be able to hire me eventually. When I threatened to leave, they finally hired me, but did not give me the raise they promised. I'm paid well below the average for a junior web developer in this area, but I am in a lead developer position for the company! The benefits for full-time workers are minimal, are provided by low-end companies, and are way over-priced. They do not pay me enough to afford $1,000 a month for bare-bones insurance! They apparently don't subsidize your benefits at all. Thankfully I was able to find my own insurance at half the price.

They provide no training and no documentation, nor even a job description, but they will expect you to be an expert at your job from day one. There is no project or program management at DT. You will get no specifications, no requirements, nor even the slightest clue of what you are supposed to do, but they expect you to immediately contribute, and to do so perfectly. They are quick to tell you that your results are wrong, although they never define what "right" is. They regularly change priorities, pulling you off of one "critical urgent" task onto another, and then will attack you for not getting all of the tasks done. You will be set up for failure, and then you will be punished when you don't somehow succeed against all odds. The developers all know this as "The DT Way".

The management is not open to ideas. They want you to do as your told without feedback, even if you are in a leadership role like I am. Tasks come from the customers, and are given to the developers as-is, without any thought to if it is feasible, or even if it is a good idea. The products are a mish-mash of these kinds of ill-conceived ideas.

The products are riddled with defects, but defect management is non-existent. Hundreds of defects sit in the defect management system, some for many years, without any attention. Requests from customers are ignored for weeks at a time, until they threaten some sort of action against the company, at which time the managers will react and demand instant action from the developers to appease the now irate customer, which tends to be impossible to do. And then its the developer's fault, not the fault of the lazy manager.

Developers are expected to work 10-12 hour days all the time, and will be reprimanded if they don't. Even contract workers are expected to work many hours of overtime without pay. They don't care that this is against labor laws!

Many managers show up late-morning, socialize with the other managers for a while, then take a 1-2 hour lunch, then come back for some more socialization with other mangers for an hour or two, then go home for the day. They are almost never available to discuss issues with or to get decisions from. They typically don't do their jobs.

Many of the managers are verbally abusive to the developers. They take every opportunity to belittle their employees and make them feel worthless, even if they are strong contributors. One manager in particular gets drunk at events, and then puts his hands all over the women employees, which he regularly refers to as "his girls". This is NOT a safe place for women to work!

They recently moved to a new location at the crossroads of the two most unpleasant roads in Roseville (Douglas and Roseville Parkway). The few cubicle walls are only 4 feet high. The rooms are noisy all the time and filled with many distractions. You can't take phone calls at your desk because of the noise and lack of privacy.

Of course, you can't make or receive calls anyway, because the VOIP system is broken. Because the pay is so low and the environment so unpleasant, they can't keep anybody in IT for very long, so issues like this tend to linger. I've had to do all my own IT work, and I've even had to triage infrastructure issues myself and provide the solutions to the (usually one remaining) IT guy to implement when he found time.

The morale among the employees is extremely low. They all recognize the dismal situation. but most feel trapped. Only some have been able to escape this horrible environment. The employee turn-over is high because the working conditions are so poor. If it weren't for the poor economy and high unemployment in the Sacramento region, they likely would have no employees left!

There are some positive reviews on this site about DT. Keep in mind that DT hires a propaganda manager to write up positive reviews on social sites like this. So those 5-star reviews are bogus. They also tell their employees to write up positive reviews, and even gave a training class on how to do this to all the employees in the Spring of 2014, including the verbiage and images we are supposed to use. Don't be fooled by the obviously false positive reviews!

There needs to be program management, project management, and defect management. Work on being proactive about tasks, and actually do your jobs, instead of always waiting for customers to become irate before reacting. Don't treat every task as "critical urgent". Listen to your developers when they tell you the idea isn't going to work. Show them respect and value their experience and expertise. Require the customers to write up defects and feature requests using the defect management system, and then USE the defect management system. Create specifications and requirements for new features so there are clear expectations, and so testing can be done against the requirements. Be encouraging and uplifting, never demeaning or demoralizing. And sexual harassment needs to STOP!

Fake and full of lies

Former Employee - Anonymous in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Roseville, CA

I worked at Direct Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- fun environment with free coffee, bagels on Fridays, a pool table, and a fairly relaxed policy on personal time
    - no micromanagement

Cons

- the managers will lie and make false promises on promotions, raises, and other things
    - high turnover; witnessed 15+ people turnover on a team over two yeads
    - vastly underpaid while managers rake in the bulk of the money
    - HR is a joke, complaints go untouched, harassment from senior employees, a frat house atmosphere of racism and sexism
    - managers are known for publicly talking down about their own employees
    - OBVIOUS FAKE POSITIVE REVIEWS (note the dates and vernacular used in all the positive reviews)

Quit and let the real horsepower of the company lead.

great place to work

I have been working at Direct Technology full-time

Pros

learning environment
    no micro managing

Cons

commuting on Highway 65 can be a bear

Outstanding Company that continues to grow

Current Employee - Manager in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Direct Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company continues to grow each year and invests heavily on employees and veteran programs and initiatives. Fabulous focus on helping Veterans in the workplace and working with other organizations with the same passion. Direct Technology (DirectApps) also provides excellent employee opportunities, employee events, rewards, and a fun workplace.

Cons

The ping pong table needs an upgrade

Continue to focus on working with exceptional companies that also have a passion for Energy efficiency, Veterans in the workplace, and growing a business that supports all its employees.

Great opportunity- ideal enviornment for "go getters"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Direct Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Positive, collaborative enviornment. If you are an individual that is highly movtivated and wants to control your own destiny, this is an ideal place. The leadership is extremely supportive and open to ideas and suggestions. Every leader, including the CEO have an open door and welcome the input.

Cons

Part of the culture at Direct Technology is to be a bit chaotic in nature. If you are someone that is fueled by that type of energy and figuring things out on your own, it can be extremely rewarding. However, if you need direction every step of the way it's not the ideal setting.

Continue to be positive and energetic and keep striving for improvement.

Great Culture and Values!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been working at Direct Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoy the diversity of the organization, the great leadership, that they promote a work/life balance, and that management offers every individual a chance for success and career advancement

Cons

tight spaces and running out of room because of growth (not such a bad thing but still makes for a crowded work environment)

keep it up

Great Company to Work For

I have been working at Direct Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team environment, solid leadership, and I feel valued as an employee.

Cons

My particular department has not experienced this but I believe other departments have had issues with space but management had addressed the issue quickly.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Direct Technology Photos