DirectBuy Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Mike Bornhorst

Pros
  • Positive work environment with lots of coaching on their marking system (in 5 reviews)

• Decent pay, employee discount, commission (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours are poor, low pay, no benefits, (in 5 reviews)

• There is an obvious communication gap between the managers and there is a high turnover rate in the call center (in 3 reviews)

Membership Director

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time

Pros

Gratifying to know the work changes families( our clients) lives by giving them super buying power.Fun place to work.

Cons

Sales of new memberships can be slow during certain seasons. After the first year I learned to put aside money for the anticipated slow down and planned my time off to coincide with those times.

Advice to Management

Motivate the sales force with incentives, trips and an occasional word of praise ( especially on the club level).

2. Sales

Former Employee - Director of Sales and in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Director of Sales and in Troy, MI

I worked at DirectBuy

Pros

The company had a good training program. There was opportunity for growth and advancement. There was some support from management

Cons

The business was changing, and the company did not react well to changes. The compensation was below average for the type of work.

They clearly don't care about anything but the bottom line

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very few pros, my old supervisor was great but he got let go, there was cake on birthdays

Cons

No regard for personal life, no communication, didn't care about anything but money, employee's work/life balance, never felt valued or appreciated, revolving door of employees.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees and potential customers like cattle.

5. Decent Until New Owners

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I worked at DirectBuy

Pros

Met ALOT of "Short Term" employees because the turnover was Huge!! But you get to meet some nice coworkers "briefly" before they quit or are fired.

Cons

Absolutely NO benefits except a one week vacation after a year. Work EVERY Saturday and Mostly until 8 pm during the week. Owners want you to do ALL the work while they rake in $5,000.00 for each Membership, then expect you to keep the people happy after they sign a contract they cannot break and realize they just got took. VERY poorly run by people who want to do nothing but waste time trying to figure out how to get more Members. They expect you to be married to the job for no pay or benefits!! Beware!!

Advice to Management

Too much to list! Learn to appreciate employees who want to help you succeed and respect them. The Corporate Office needs to come in and teach them how to run a business.

Marketing

I worked at DirectBuy

Pros

Great Staff in Marketing Department

Cons

Poor pay, few benefits, lousy working hours, NO ADVANCEMENT!

Operations manager

Former Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Colonie, NY
    Former Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Colonie, NY

I worked at DirectBuy (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people. Great members. Good purchasing power.

Cons

Fees can be unafordable for some

Advice to Management

Don't exclude 'Renters"

8. Great company

Former Employee - Director in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Director in Merrillville, IN

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really smart and hard working people who deeply care about their members. There is lots of thoughtful transition occurring. Great product.

Cons

There are lots of projects at once with very tight dead lines. Senior leadership could do a better job communicating to each other.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

MIXED FEELINGS ABOUT DIRECTBUY...

Current Employee - Senior Director in Rochelle Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Rochelle Park, NJ

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started off as a what they consider a "Marketing Associate" which in short is a telemarketer. Excelled at - is as I do possess very non-intrusive & persuasive approach. Soon after (2-3 months) I was promoted to go an close sales on the floor as a "Membership Director" (Salesman) to close sales for DirectBuys' "Open House Presentation" which is a completely antiquated process. Anyway, I surprisingly excelled in this too. With all the trade shows we were working (me personally) and a call-canter full of "marketing associates" we were bringing in a lot of prospects to convert into members. With a commission of $100-$125 per member I signed up and a base pay of $10 / hr - I was making very good money here. Signing up on average 5 - 7 people per week plus a base pay of $350. I was getting a weekly paycheck of around $900-$1000. Soon after that (about another 3-4 months) I learned the OpenHouse script and got promoted to a "Senior Director" to conduct sales presentations. With that position you also get an extra $100 tour over-ride commission for whoever signs up on your tour (Even if you dont close them) and if you do, you get double-commissions ($200) So long-story short money potential is easy here if your a good sales person, build like & trust with guests, and possess strong closing skills.

Cons

CORPORATE DIRECTBUY SUCKS. They just suck in money from all the franchisees and are no help when needed. High Membership fees (In other peoples eyes) DirectBuy doesn't derive their income from merchandise sales; their only source of income is Membership fees, so if a club isn't persistently selling memberships, income is low. High Handling fees / Fright charges - due to UCCD (DirectBuy's trucking company) charging .55 cents / lbs. ie: If your ordering merchandise that has a total weight of 1000 lbs. It will cost $550 to ship.

Advice to Management

- Update your business model - Update the TOPS software (its ridiculous) - CSC needs to be of more help and assistance for the members, let alone the franchisees. - I could honestly go on for days with the cons and dont have the time right now. But overall, like stated in my description, my feelings about DirectBuy as a whole are mixed and undetermined.

Ok starter place

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice environment, friendly co-workers, Good place to begin career but not much else.

Cons

Not much for upward movement. Repetitive boring work. Higher ups not too interested in the rank and file.

Advice to Management

Focus more on rand and file employees. Without them the members wouldn't be able to get the quality service the employees provide.

CLUB SALES PROGRAMS

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Franchise owners are very organized. They follow the programs developed by the franchisor to expand memberships very successfully. There are rewards for creative input to add new members.

Cons

It's a business that depends on new memberships to maintain profitability. Once people have joined the Club, they have an expectation of service (which they've paid for). A club such as this one must maintain well trained personnel at, sometimes considerable cost. Much of this cost should be subsidized by the franchisor, leaving the franchise to concentrate on their primary profit goals.

RSS Feed </> Embed