DirectBuy

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Mike Bornhorst

Pros:
  • "Good schedule, decent pay for job"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Great people that are hard working"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "They pay their membership fee and they think they OWN you"
    in 3 reviews
  • "No room for growth, not a career but a job, favoritism towards certain employees, no benefits, unfair environment when you are not a favorite"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company but not for long term if you are looking for a career, sad to say had their apex.

ProsLots of consumer interaction and feedback / mentorship from management. Poor pay but had great bonus / commission structure if you can succeed here and are teachable. Watch out for office politics.

ConsHours leave little for social life especially if you're young and single, late nights and lots of weekend work. No op for advancement, each location is a franchise where family members prosper and you are on the outside.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your Marketing reps who have been there and proved themselves a raise, wage here hasn't increased in over 10 years. Stayed here too long.

If you're self driven, willing to learn and advance this is an excellent place to work

Marketing Associate (Current Employee)
    Pensacola, FL

ProsGreat commission structure, decent pay, excellent communication between management. They are concerned abt you feelings. Weekends off. No management breathing down your back.

ConsExtremely high turnover rate. Kind of boring

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more training meetings

Direct Buy work Review

Membership Associate (Former Employee)
    Merrillville, IN

ProsThere were great benefits. It was a very friendly company to work for and a positive environment.

ConsThe hours were conflicting to my home life family schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to pay more to the weekend and night shift. The other advice would be is to get rid of the verbatim scripts. There should be some feelings in what you are saying to people when you talk to them, not just the same old thing over and over.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Field Sales (Current Employee)
    DFW, TX

ProsCompany provides good training. Local travel with some out of state travel. Out of state travel is compensated. Commissions are paid on time. HMG is a affiliated with DirectBuy of North America. Friendly, responsive and professional managers.

ConsWorking outdoor events in Texas heat. Most events though are indoors.

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue with expansion plans with DirectBuy. Such expansion will offer opportunities nationwide.

Great Concept and great place for savings

Member Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsFace to face contact, and diverse learning for designers, and customer service. Great potential for sales incentives.

ConsLittle to no growth within the company

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with pro-active training and less on exaggerating difficulty. Need internal and eternal and external marketing practice to bringing in qualified leads and targeted vendors that cater to consumers in ever changing shopping environment.

BEWARE!!!!

Interior Designer/Kitchen Designer (Former Employee)
    Brentwood, TN

ProsDirectBuy experience will vary depending on who is running the place, but more often than not it' will be some moron that knows nothing about home improvement. My co-workers were great. We had a nice family atmosphere, and it was really relaxed until we got new owners...

ConsMy DirectBuy didn't offer competitive wages. DirectBuy Directors (aka sales guys) purposely mislead members into joining, then leave it to the hourly employees to deal with their dissatisfaction of being lied to or scammed into joining. DirectBuy franchises make their money from selling memberships anywhere from $2000 - $7000 depending on the store. Corporate charges the franchise roughly $500 per membership (talk about a markup). They also make money on the handling fees, but they mislead the members in that area as well. As an hourly employee, dealing with the members can be absolute hell. Some of the members are really cool, there's not that many of them though. Basically they become aware that DirectBuy is nothing but a scam and they yell at you because they can't get their money back. Owner focuses way too much on sales instead of running a sufficient and educated staff. Hourly employees are not trained properly on the multitude of products offered, how to spec out the products and ordering said products. This company has no values, or growth potential. They only care about membership sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the role of what your employees do and train them properly. Listen to your employees and their concerns instead of always siding with members who lie all the time. Treat your employees with respect and when downsizing, don't replace the smart ones with new blood that knows absolutely nothing about what they are doing. And quit slandering the former employees. That can cause lawsuits that I definitely know you don't need.

Performers and hard workers are recognized and rewarded. The company is actively re-inventing itself.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPlenty of room to grow. Promotions based on performance not seniority. Great long term relationships with suppliers and customers. No real competition in the marketplace. DirectBuy Corporate supports the local Club so that the Clubs can service the members. Suppliers are hundreds of top quality recognized brands offered with a lowest price promise. Online ordering has greatly improved the company's ability to service the families that join. Mike Bornhorst the new CEO has a genuine desire to improve the public's perception of DirectBuy.

ConsThe public doesn't quite understand the service and benefits this company offers. That means there are always new challenges for them with public relations. A lot of pre-judging or miss-understanding that needs to be overcome. Some of the sales people will over promise which creates challenges for the service teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is more than 40 years old. It's long term success was built on relationships not just transactions. There is a new private equity owner and executive management team. They are implementing a lot of changes to grow the company. Don't lose the relationships with the employees, the franchisees, the members and the vendors that were the bedrock that built the company.

Rough past but potential for a great future.

ProsGreat new leadership at the company from the CEO to excited new associates. The membership offering from DirectBuy is unquestionably valuable and the service is great. They seem to be getting back on track for raises and promotions as well.

ConsIt's difficult to transition away from old "used car salesman" style of selling. Especially true in a franchise network where people want to cling to the past they are familiar with.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace being part of a new world where risks are necessary. You will not be popular when you change everything about the company, but it needs to happen and we've made good progress in the last year. It also wouldn't hurt to keep give out more raises. Tenured employees went years without raises and additional incentives over the next couple of years are necessary in order to keep quality employees.

Management is Racist

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)
    Fort Mill, SC

Prosgood benefits and good schedule

ConsManagement is racist and hates gay people. I worked at the Fort mill branch for 3 days. on my third day I was 3 minutes late for work. the manager let me work through the day and catch them up on their updates, that were over a month due. then she let me go saying I was late & I wasn't a good fit. After 3 days!!!! Come on now. That is not enough time to know that for sure. There were only white middle aged people working there. I think she let me go because she hates that I am a gay man who dates a black man. I gave up another job to work here and now I don't know what I will do.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training, better management ,need a more diverse staff, more patience

Medium sized company going through changes

Finance (Current Employee)
    Merrillville, IN

ProsGreat people that are hard working

ConsLots of work absent resources

Worked for DirectBuy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DirectBuy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DirectBuy CEO Mike Bornhorst. All 65 reviews posted anonymously by DirectBuy employees.