DirectBuy Reviews

Reset

Operations manager

Former Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Colonie, NY
    Former Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Colonie, NY

I worked at DirectBuy (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people. Great members. Good purchasing power.

Cons

Fees can be unafordable for some

Advice to Management

Don't exclude 'Renters"

2. Great company

Former Employee - Director in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Director in Merrillville, IN

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really smart and hard working people who deeply care about their members. There is lots of thoughtful transition occurring. Great product.

Cons

There are lots of projects at once with very tight dead lines. Senior leadership could do a better job communicating to each other.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

MIXED FEELINGS ABOUT DIRECTBUY...

Current Employee - Senior Director in Rochelle Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Rochelle Park, NJ

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started off as a what they consider a "Marketing Associate" which in short is a telemarketer. Excelled at - is as I do possess very non-intrusive & persuasive approach. Soon after (2-3 months) I was promoted to go an close sales on the floor as a "Membership Director" (Salesman) to close sales for DirectBuys' "Open House Presentation" which is a completely antiquated process. Anyway, I surprisingly excelled in this too. With all the trade shows we were working (me personally) and a call-canter full of "marketing associates" we were bringing in a lot of prospects to convert into members. With a commission of $100-$125 per member I signed up and a base pay of $10 / hr - I was making very good money here. Signing up on average 5 - 7 people per week plus a base pay of $350. I was getting a weekly paycheck of around $900-$1000. Soon after that (about another 3-4 months) I learned the OpenHouse script and got promoted to a "Senior Director" to conduct sales presentations. With that position you also get an extra $100 tour over-ride commission for whoever signs up on your tour (Even if you dont close them) and if you do, you get double-commissions ($200) So long-story short money potential is easy here if your a good sales person, build like & trust with guests, and possess strong closing skills.

Cons

CORPORATE DIRECTBUY SUCKS. They just suck in money from all the franchisees and are no help when needed. High Membership fees (In other peoples eyes) DirectBuy doesn't derive their income from merchandise sales; their only source of income is Membership fees, so if a club isn't persistently selling memberships, income is low. High Handling fees / Fright charges - due to UCCD (DirectBuy's trucking company) charging .55 cents / lbs. ie: If your ordering merchandise that has a total weight of 1000 lbs. It will cost $550 to ship.

Advice to Management

- Update your business model - Update the TOPS software (its ridiculous) - CSC needs to be of more help and assistance for the members, let alone the franchisees. - I could honestly go on for days with the cons and dont have the time right now. But overall, like stated in my description, my feelings about DirectBuy as a whole are mixed and undetermined.

Ok starter place

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice environment, friendly co-workers, Good place to begin career but not much else.

Cons

Not much for upward movement. Repetitive boring work. Higher ups not too interested in the rank and file.

Advice to Management

Focus more on rand and file employees. Without them the members wouldn't be able to get the quality service the employees provide.

CLUB SALES PROGRAMS

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Franchise owners are very organized. They follow the programs developed by the franchisor to expand memberships very successfully. There are rewards for creative input to add new members.

Cons

It's a business that depends on new memberships to maintain profitability. Once people have joined the Club, they have an expectation of service (which they've paid for). A club such as this one must maintain well trained personnel at, sometimes considerable cost. Much of this cost should be subsidized by the franchisor, leaving the franchise to concentrate on their primary profit goals.

7. New ownership means new everything - be prepared to implement changes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merrillville, IN

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a company unlike any other. The concept is unique and the product offering is extensive. In most positions you are working with Franchisees vs. employees.

Cons

The company is under new ownership and the new CEO & CMO are out to change everything. That wouldn't be such a bad thing except the Franchisees are resistant to the change, which makes results for your efforts very minimal. In many cases employees are motivated by fear.

Advice to Management

Consider a better work-life balance for your employees. Find ways to encourage and promote positive performance other than scaring your employees into working hard.

Do not work there if you have morals! Pay is garbage!

Current Employee - Director in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Director in Appleton, WI

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can save buy buying direct from the manufacturers

Cons

What's posted for their income earnings on job postings is untrue. If you are a sales profesional. stay away! You will regret it. Staff come and go like a breeze. No Benefits. NONE!

Advice to Management

If you want to keep your staff for more than a year, then post real earnnings instead of over inflated ones.

9. Great Company, Need a position with the ATL LOCATION

Former Employee - Purchasing Administrator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Purchasing Administrator in New York, NY

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love this company, great way to make a living while enjoying assisting others to save big

Cons

Unsatisfied clients due to the wait time.

Just like grade school

Former Employee - Data Entry in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Merrillville, IN

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have casual Fridays; and during the summer, Fridays end at 3:00 Unfortunately, if your hourly you have to take vacation time to make up those two hours on Friday.

Cons

The Data Entry department (VSR) is run by an incompetent moron. It's extremely cliquish with a lot of backstabbing, gossiping, and favoritism. There's absolutely no leadership! Behaving in a professional manner intimidates management and just makes you a target.

Advice to Management

You need to look closely at some of your mid- to upper level management. Particularly, in the Merchandising Department.

DO NOT WORK FOR THEM.

Former Employee - Membership Director in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Membership Director in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Said you can make a lot of money, fed you a lot of BS and did not say how the work environment really is.

Cons

Hostile work environment, pressure sales, Management fires employees over any little thing even if its not wrong they will make it wrong. You don't make your numbers you are out of work. It is not a place to establish a career they do not care about their staff. You are fully replaceable. You can find the same prices on the internet and if you ask where is the value with the membership or have any concerning questions, they will say you don't believe in the product and you should not work here. There is no questioning anything.

Advice to Management

Stop being a bunch of jerks, treat people like human beings and let them learn. Be a leader

RSS Feed </> Embed