DirectBuy

Profile Unclaimed

Fantastic and demanding

Former Employee - Product Specialist
    Former Employee - Product Specialist

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of autonomy. Great personal relationships. Can really make an impact on the members' projects by saving them a lot of money on things they couldn't afford in retail.

Cons

Typical retail hours, and dealing with sometimes unrealistic or abusive expectations of members. For instance, being told repeatedly that custom orders cannot be returned and if we order you exactly what you ordered, you can't change your mind because you no longer like it.

Service Manager

Former Employee - Service Manager
    Former Employee - Service Manager

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of training and support

Cons

Pay structure should be across the board for the amount of work required

pass on the bonuses

Steer clear

I worked at DirectBuy

Pros

Good coworkers fun environment great product the people do represent the company well and with integrity these are by far the best company traits

Cons

Bad ownership it all comes down to who owns the franchise or you can be in trouble a lot of greedy owners it can feel dirty

Corporate should screen who is allowed to own a franchise a large percentage of them are owned by shady people

Franchise: need updates, new management, and continuity

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Franklin, TN

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are not many pros, and that is sad to say. I honestly can't think of more than one and that's the individuals I worked with.

Cons

-Terrible pay, I could not support my family on this job alone and I was full-time.
    -No benefits!! Not a single one.
    -The turnover is insane
    -DirectBuy's corporate office cares little about the success of the franchise and they are unwilling to work with the staff.

Work-life balance is almost non-existant. Decide to care about your employees and maybe more will decide to stay and make a career. Bring benefits back!!

Fun job helping families save thousands of dollars every year.

Current Employee - Membership Director in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Membership Director in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training and support, fun work environment, each franchise is like a family. The ability to learn from a proven marketing system that works. Being able to offer a service that people need.

Cons

Becoming more difficult to contact families due to less trust in telemarketing industry. Difficult hours if you have a family and prefer a nine to five with weekends off.

Company website could be upgraded to be closer to an Amazon or one that more people are accustomed to.

Customer Service

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at DirectBuy part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been working for 9 years. I've seen the changes from before to now. I believe in the Directbuy concept. The company has been around for 40 years. Helping members save money while being able to buy things for their home. Enjoy my co-workers and owners. Love the flexibility. Our members are really cool. It's so nice to see the beginning projects finalized in becoming a dream home. The savings are real.

Cons

Been working for 6 years no raise. Was told already one of the highest paid employees. Distance from work to home really takes a toll. Driving about 1 hour to and from a day. Business has been slow. So they are starting to cut back on hours sorry part-timers.

Communication is key. There is no I in team. Training is always nice and needed due to the constant updates we receive. Employee appreciation would be great. Knowledge is power. We (sales and service) should all be on the same page.

Great place to work, but skeptical members are a challenge.

Current Employee - Kitchen and Bath Designer in Rocky Hill, CT
    Current Employee - Kitchen and Bath Designer in Rocky Hill, CT

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Being treated like a professional and not micromanaged is a great aspect. I love working with the members and creating designs for them. I work in a small location where I get to know the people that come in regularly and become close with them. Employee benefits are nice.

Cons

Having to deal with angry members often who are not satisfied with their membership because of hidden fees or not getting what they expected from the club.

I work for a corporate club and have had nothing but good experiences with the upper management from corporate. They drop by from time to time, but they are not overbearing and they treat you like a professional.

Lack of communication and oversight drastically hinders professional growth.

Former Employee - Data Entry in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Merrillville, IN

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is usually pretty good. Even on the "lowest rung" of the ladder, a full-time position can provide a reasonable salary. As an employee, you're given a complimentary DirectBuy membership, which truly is fantastic if utilized properly.

Cons

In my experience, the training provided was minimal, but the expectations were as high as if we'd received top-notch training. The benefits package is not very good at all, with high out-of-pocket costs. The atmosphere is one that seemed to foster an attitude of "always look out for yourself" especially for those in supervisory positions. The second worst aspect was the constant brow-beating that completely stifled almost all professional ambition, making it incredibly difficult to prove your worth as an employee. The WORST aspect of working here was the almost universally prevalent feeling that you're back in high school: there were so many cliques, gossip ran unchecked, and even the Human Resources department wouldn't take active steps to try to instill a more professional environment.

Service Staff

I have been working at DirectBuy (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work is very diverse and constantly different everyday. Management was very hands on and helped with problems with customers if needed.

Cons

Work hours were very strange and had to work most weekends. No room for advancement within the company.

Member Services is cool

Former Employee - Member Service Representative
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Centers open later in the morning, so you're able to get in errands/appointments before work.

You'll learn a lot about flooring, furniture, and design. Opportunities to move up within the company...from member services to maybe kitchen and cabinet designer (which is more flex and offers commission, as well.)

Great opportunities for travel. Annual national conferences, which are really nice and actually fun. Also opportunities to travel for training if you are a product specialist.

Cons

No Human Resources Dept. And that's a problem because things can go left REAL quickly. My center had no rules or order, until something crazy happened.

You have to ask for raises. Ask for advancement. Otherwise, everyone is complacent and will cross-train you to stay where you are and just do everything for the same amount of money forever.