DirectBuy

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
3.4

Mike Bornhorst

Pros
  • Positive work environment with lots of coaching on their marking system (in 5 reviews)

• Decent pay, employee discount, commission (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours are poor, low pay, no benefits, (in 5 reviews)

• There is an obvious communication gap between the managers and there is a high turnover rate in the call center (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Service Staff

I have been working at DirectBuy (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work is very diverse and constantly different everyday. Management was very hands on and helped with problems with customers if needed.

Cons

Work hours were very strange and had to work most weekends. No room for advancement within the company.

Member Services is cool

Former Employee - Member Service Representative
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Centers open later in the morning, so you're able to get in errands/appointments before work.

You'll learn a lot about flooring, furniture, and design. Opportunities to move up within the company...from member services to maybe kitchen and cabinet designer (which is more flex and offers commission, as well.)

Great opportunities for travel. Annual national conferences, which are really nice and actually fun. Also opportunities to travel for training if you are a product specialist.

Cons

No Human Resources Dept. And that's a problem because things can go left REAL quickly. My center had no rules or order, until something crazy happened.

You have to ask for raises. Ask for advancement. Otherwise, everyone is complacent and will cross-train you to stay where you are and just do everything for the same amount of money forever.

Steady job but not a lot of upward mobility

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent vacation time

Cons

Poor pay, raises are few and far between. Staff greatly reduced over the years leading to overworked employees.

To reduce high employee turnover, make sure the 'star' employees are being compensated accordingly. Over the years a lot of great employees have left for better opportunities leaving the 'lifers' behind and they do not always have the best work ethic.

Might be a sinking ship

Former Employee - Appointment Setter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Appointment Setter in Chicago, IL

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Structured sales environment. Consistent sales training. Product can be very helpful to some buyers. Room for advancement.

Cons

The service is not a good fit for everyone, maybe even most people. It's also a franchise model so the experience in one club can be very different from another. Also, the product they sell ( a membership) is expensive and people are forced to buy under pressure of being denied membership indefinitely if they don't. I've also heard rumors of a class action lawsuit against them so beware.

Keep up with the times. The business model you are using is outdated and prices are too high to justify purchase for most people.

Used to be a great company to work for, good luck making any real money in sales with them now!

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Denver, CO

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for two different independently owned franchises over 13 years from 2000-2013. Your earning potential is completely dependent on the owners drive to advertise and generate leads. Potential to earn full time pay without having to work full time hours.

Cons

The learning curve is rather long, expect to spend at least 6 months learning the 30 page script needed to do sales presentations, thus earn half of your compensation potential. Terrible benefits, compensation is no where close to what it should be considering you are expected to sell a $5000+ membership to unqualified prospects that are only coming in for their free stuff. Don't ever expect to get a raise even if the cost of the membership increases. Direct Buy Corporate is a joke, top level management is more detrimental to the organization than beneficial.

You have to spend money to make money. You can't expect your employees to change their schedules without notice, people have lives outside of Direct Buy, especially when they are barely making minimum wage. Pay people what they are worth, statements like, "If I could do everything by myself so I didn't have to pay my employees I would" is a perfect example of the culture generated by ownership.

Once in a lifetime thing!

Former Employee - Lead Generator in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Lead Generator in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at DirectBuy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved my cowokers, had a steady pay, had a lot of games and incentives which made the job more desirable

Cons

they set unrealistic goals sometimes, was constantly firing and hiring people, sometimes they messed up your bonuses on your check, so you had to wait til the next pay period, get paid on 7th and 22nd (not really a con), cold-calling for leads

Fantastic company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture to be a part of. Interaction with people from all walks of life. I have had the opportunity to develop many skills that will be useful to me in any future career field.

Cons

The time off policies with the company are not the best. Then again, it is sales, so that is to be expected.

The company is set on a new course that will bring it into a new era of success. The new management group is doing a fantastic job.

A con wrapped in a scam

I worked at DirectBuy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Meeting great people, that's about ..it

Cons

Hours are poor, low pay, no benefits,

Great company but not for long term if you are looking for a career, sad to say had their apex.

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time

Pros

Lots of consumer interaction and feedback / mentorship from management. Poor pay but had great bonus / commission structure if you can succeed here and are teachable. Watch out for office politics.

Cons

Hours leave little for social life especially if you're young and single, late nights and lots of weekend work. No op for advancement, each location is a franchise where family members prosper and you are on the outside.

Give your Marketing reps who have been there and proved themselves a raise, wage here hasn't increased in over 10 years. Stayed here too long.

If you're self driven, willing to learn and advance this is an excellent place to work

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at DirectBuy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great commission structure, decent pay, excellent communication between management. They are concerned abt you feelings. Weekends off. No management breathing down your back.

Cons

Extremely high turnover rate. Kind of boring

Have more training meetings